[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do anime characters always narrate the obvious?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: Zawa.jpg (173KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Zawa.jpg
173KB, 1280x720px
Is it because nips don't know how to write proper dialogue?
>>
It seems that you only watch shounens and shitty melodramas
>>
Not a problem unique to anime.
>>
So autistic manchildren not capable of reading emotions can know for sure that he hates it.
>>
Hmmm... I wonder what did OP mean by that.
>>
File: image%3A188844.gif (2MB, 389x413px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A188844.gif
2MB, 389x413px
>>159098821
Because most anime are adaptations of manga and novels and it's necessary to "narrate the obvious" in them just like books if they don't narrate the obvious you will never know what's happening , you retard.
>>
>>159098821
Because anime is for stupid people.
>>
I think they just dont teach "show dont tell" lessons in japanese schools.
JoJo first chapters are ridiculous how they explain EVERYTHING the viewer has already understood.
>>
>>159098821
I would say that too, but you would be suprised how many anons here wouldn't understand or get anything unless everything is specifically stated or shown.
>>
>>159098821
Because anime is for asians, and asians are autistic, so there is no subtext in dialogue. That's why autistic westerners like anime so much.
>>
File: 1364759921963.png (288KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1364759921963.png
288KB, 720x720px
Because the nips have stupid people too.
You get a lot of them here on /a/ for example.
As much as people complain about exposition here you get retards asking retared questions in exposition heavy show like recreators from this season then imagine how lost they would be with a normal show. They need to be handholded all the way to the end or they get lost.
>>
>>159104149
This is the most insightful thing I've ever read here.
>>
>>159098821
That's because anime is for kids and manchildren, more news at 11
>>
It's for an effect.
>>
>>159103958

"show don't tell" is probably one of the most retarded "rules" in history.
>>
>>159105156

>visual medium
>nah m8 just tell them everything that's going on in awkward dialogue
>>
File: justicefist.jpg (55KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
justicefist.jpg
55KB, 848x480px
>>159098821
It's a narrative style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTYAmXkWFc
>>
>>159098821
I think it's supposed to come off as comedic most of the time, or push how serious a situation is. Unfortunately, it instead tends to come off as obnoxious and unnecessary. And yes, nips suck at writing, though you can blame a lot of that on their simplistic, childish language.
>>
File: regi show and tell.png (35KB, 800x989px) Image search: [Google]
regi show and tell.png
35KB, 800x989px
>>159105156
"show dont tell" is a narrative tool thats helpful, avoiding repeating the same information is the rule. You can tell something, but you cant show something and also narrate it just so the 6y old readers can keep up.
Youjo senki LN is absolutely horrid at this, the author writes same thing maybe 2-3 times essentially wasting the readers time. Its enough to make you drop the novel when encountered.
>>
>>159105156
>thinking visual mediums shouldn't use the VISUAL aspect to show what is happening, and instead tell us

The whole point of a visual medium is showing over telling.
>>
>>159105296
See >>159105240

Narration is for style, not for information dumps.
>>
>>159105296
> You can tell something, but you cant show something and also narrate it

Lot of shows do it and it works very well.

>>159105301

That's obviously not true, they can go either way.
>>
>>159105468
Sounds like you either exclusively watch shit anime, or would rather read light novels.
>>
>>159098821
I'd have the narrator in Kaiji narrate my life if I could.
>Man, I hate being stuck in traffic
>KUYASHII
>>
>>159105703

What did we learn? It's preference, not a rule.
>>
>>159103958
Well, just think about anything in those same manga that doesn't get explained, nobody knows what happened and it becomes debated forever or just entirely forgotten when it was probably meant to be specific

That said, generally, I think in a lot of manga it's because they are trying to be an entry point into something (usually a sport or hobby) so you need characters narrating it so people know the theories being expressed...anime keeps those details because if they didn't, something like a sports anime would be a single episode for 50 chapters
>>
>>159105156
It's not a bad guideline to follow, but it gets thrown around too much because it's one of the only things the layman "knows" about writing.
>>
File: image%3A237821.jpg (81KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A237821.jpg
81KB, 625x790px
>>159098821
>>
>>159105703
>light novels
Yet another EOP retard that doesn't understand what LN means and thinks his opinion on things he can't read is worth anything.
>>
>all these plebs itt
>>
>>159098821
It's because you're watching cartoons for 12 year olds.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.