[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Gohan such a trainwreck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Why was Gohan such a trainwreck?
>>
>>158928328
The Cell games led up to one of the best moments in all of DBZ, with the best song in the entire DB soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0HONneZmc

Didn't make much sense that he dabbled around for so many episodes without bursting out with his usual berserk rage power up, but when it did happen, man was it good.
>>
>>158928328
Blame the readers for rejecting him, he was supposed to be Goku's replacement
>>
>>158928938
>episodes
That was your first mistake.
>>
File: gokuyardrat.png (2MB, 1016x1520px) Image search: [Google]
gokuyardrat.png
2MB, 1016x1520px
>>158928957
And thank god he was not.
>>
>>158929618
Ok? Cool story? What's your point?

The original DBZ anime adaptation had a tendency to add lots of filler and needlessly drag stuff on for several episodes, whereas the manga was straight to the point.

Gohan's SS1 portion of the fight with Cell was no different, and he dragged that on for a few episodes longer than it needed to. All other instances of allies getting hurt immediately resulted in Gohan going berserk and getting a ridiculous power level boost, albeit temporarily.
>>
>>158929850
>All other instances of allies getting hurt immediately resulted in Gohan going berserk and getting a ridiculous power level boost, albeit temporarily

Which is funny because even in the manga Gohan just stands there and does nothing while his friends are getting tortured.
>>
>>158928957
To be honest this move kind of set the trend for other shounen not doing this when they easily could have replaced MC with others.
>>
https://nyaa.si/view/932632

Are you lads re-watching DBZ?
>>
>>158929986
Yes? And the sky is blue?

Again, what's your point, dude? I already know and have acknowledged even before your reply that unlike every other Gohan-Rage state before the Cell games, Gohan went full retard during the first part of the fight with Cell. I already KNEW this happened in both the manga and the anime. The anime adds insult to injury with dragging what already took long in the manga even longer.

>>158930024
To my knowledge, of the most popular shonen battle mangas, only Araki was ever successful with this daring to switch up main characters after major story arcs are over. Even then he usually brought them back as a major supporting character in the following part.
>>
>>158930158
Just making sure you understand how out of character Gohan was.
>>
>>158930293
Wasn't this a Kanzenshuu thread?
>>
>>158930123
Yes, and man, there is a LOT of shit that is completely different to what I used to remember/believe. Just to name a few, greentext was my nostalgia, normal text is what actually happens.
>Krillin wished for 18 to be human and Shenlong did so
Shenlong couldnt change her, because she still is human and obviously is much more powerful than Kaiosama. So Krillin used the wish to remove the bomb inside her instead.
>Perfect Cell is like a SSJ mode for him
Cell could go SSJ right off the bat from his first form, and achieved SSJ2 during Gohan's fight.
>SSJ3 and fat Buu were equal
Goku was much stronger but chose not to do shit because Toriyama was sucking Gohan's dick.
>SSJ3 Gotenks was too underpowered for Buu
He had the power to kill him but the guy is cancer incarnate. Jesus Christ that was painful to rewatch.
>Goten and Trunks are annoying as fuck
Goten is actually funny and cute, Trunks is truly annoying
>Future Trunks is THE man
The guy is pretty much the same as Super's Future Trunks. Apparently the awesome fights that I used to remember are from the movies, in Z he didnt do shit except looking cool with long hair.
>Chichi is a bitch
Surprisingly enough she is okay most of the time except for few retarded moments.
>Gohan is a lil bitch
Surprised too to find out the guy gets Vegeta levels of cocky-ness, and often. Completely forgot it was his fault that Goku died.
>Kamehameha is the most powerful technique, Genkidama aside
Krillin's disc and Tien's triangle thing whatever its called are broken as FUCK.
>Vegeta is the cocky character
All the saiyans, the kids included, get cocky as fuck. Actually, almost every misfortune in Z its because of some retarded saiyan pride decision.

At last I see how DBZ truly is. Still fucking amazing. Actually my opinion didnt change much to my nostalgia goggles except that I have a little more respect for Chichi and Gohan.
>>
>>158928938
That moment could've had a few simple fixes to make it less of a forced asspull.

First would be to explain why he didn't go berserk earlier in the fight. He's been shown to go berserk many times from a lot less than he was dealt during the Cell Games. I think a simple explanation would be that to control his super saiyan state he had to learn better control of his emotions, meaning it took much more to anger him. This is never mentioned in the series proper though so as of now it's just a random theory I pulled out of my ass.

Second would be to explain why he didn't jump into action. The real answer is that he would've been pretty good against at least a couple of the Cell Jr's without even going SSJ2, so to make them more threatening they had to have him not be in that fight. A simple fix here would be to have him attempt to help but have Cell get in his way, telling him that the only way to help them would be to outrun him, which would require more power.

Third, they needed to better explain was 16 dying set him over the edge. He just met the Android. Up to that point the Androids had been enemies to him. They should've had more interactions between Gohan and 16 before the start of the tournament to build a connection there and make the sacrifice that much more impactful.

Most of the issue is that Toriyama writes on the fly, rarely with any sort of long term plan in place. He may have planned Gohan's transformation into SSJ2 well in advanced, but the actual events leading up to them may have been written at the last minute, meaning things like building a connection between 16 and Gohan and explaining why Gohan didn't go berserk earlier were things he just didn't plan for.
>>
KM.
>>
>>158930994
>first
Pretty good. Thought of the same, it didn't make sense before for Gohan to be pulling a Shinji.

>second
It works.

>third
Meh, not really. C16 represented the lives and nature Gohan would protect with his anger, he didn't need a personal connection with him beyond that
>>
File: you retard.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
you retard.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
>>158929798
Honestly I really wouldn't have minded Gohan becoming the main character during the Buu saga or even before then. Goku's character development kind of ended after his battle with Frieza and he never really did anything that really stood out in the Cell saga. From the moment he returned from Planet Yardrat and was okay with allowing the creation of the Artifically humans, putting the planet at risk, just so he could fight them, I knew Goku was dead.
>>
>>158934413
>allowing the creation of the Artifically humans, putting the planet at risk, just so he could fight them, I knew Goku was dead.

Eh, it's pretty in line with him letting Vegeta live so he could fight him again too.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.