[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kaiba

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: Cover.jpg (231KB, 700x1029px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
231KB, 700x1029px
Pretty good episodes in the beginning, but it shits the bed in the last couple episodes.
It's still neat, but disappointing in the end.

What are your thoughts on this show, /a/?
>>
>>158919509
It doesn't "shit the bed" with ending imo, the pacing just becomes breakneck. It still nicely caps off Kaiba and Neiro's backstories even if I don't find the final scenes that resonant (it never felt like the show was building up Kaiba's "emptiness" to be a big deal for him, in terms of character development - most of the show is him just observing others, he never acts like he's really alienated from people or anything). And despite the pacing it manages to tie up all the side characters' plot lines.

Still one of my favorite shows and the best thing Yuasa has ever done. Mixing Tezuka style cartoon naivety with surrealism was fucking genius, and I love how it never goes down the avant-garde masturbation route and instead focuses on very simple, emotional stories of people experiencing misfortune.
>>
>>158919509
>shits the bed
It's not even THAT bad. Why do people exaggerate whenever they talk about Kaiba.
>>
Typically pretentious Yuasa drivel.
>>
File: 1498191636050.png (42KB, 158x158px) Image search: [Google]
1498191636050.png
42KB, 158x158px
>>158920486
We get it already, anon. You prefer Naruto.
>>
>>158919509
Needed more Blue Eyes White Dragon.
>>
Most anime have terrible endings. It's probably the worst thing about anime as a whole desu.
>>
>>158920486
>pretentious

How so? All the stories are extremely straightforward, even a bit sentimental. There's lots of weird comedy and it never takes itself too seriously (until the end, at least).

People who think Yuasa is just pretentious can't look past the artstyle.
>>
File: 5637.jpg (920KB, 1500x1062px) Image search: [Google]
5637.jpg
920KB, 1500x1062px
For the first 8 or 9 episodes, it was AOTD quality.
>>
>>158920659
>past the artstyle.
It's funny because Kaiba's artstyle isn't even that weird if you are familiar with Tezuka, which you should be if you watch anime at all. >>158920486
This anon just needs something to complain about.
>>
EP3 hurts my soul more than any other anime has or ever will.

Chroniko ;_;
>>
>>158920424
>it never felt like the show was building up Kaiba's "emptiness" to be a big deal for him
Yeah this was really my problem with the last batch of episodes. By the time Kaiba was fighting a younger version of himself, I just kept on wondering like "how did we get here?" And I just started wondering like what was really the point of the first 2/3 of the series. How did those characters really affect Kaiba in the end, if at all?

I agree though the visual style of the show is incredible and blows my mind.
>>
>>158920904
It was a weird device to have him fight his younger self (and a little convoluted to have all these clones of himself running around), but I think the point of having Kaiba meet all those people is so that he could learn about how humans connect to each other (him being the isolated king and all), which up until that point only Neiro had shown him. Still, he doesn't explicitly mention (at least, not that I remember) how all those people affected him so it does get a bit lost in the plotting.
>>
>>158919509
Will this spoil me if I haven't finished Yugi Oh?
>>
File: 2008-kaiba-source-cartdriver.jpg (58KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2008-kaiba-source-cartdriver.jpg
58KB, 1280x720px
>>158920774
This episode rekt me too.

It seems a big theme of the show is how are others watch over you even when you're not aware - Chroniko and her aunt, Kaiba and Hyo-Hyo (and by proxy, Neiro), Kaiba (in Chroniko's body) and Vanilla, the cat doctor and his creator.
>>
It's been so long since I watched it, that all I remember of the ending was a bunch of giant memories stomping around while I was left to wonder where the fuck my show went. Now I need to rewatch.
>>
>>158921384
Yeah, like the moment Kaiba gets his old body back, everything that happened before that doesn't include Neiro is forgotten. So it just kind of sucks when there were some god-tier episodes like with Chroniko, the lighthouse planet, Vanilla being a hero, etc., but it felt like they didn't really mean anything to Kaiba in the end.

I sorta feel like the purpose of Hyo-Hyo was supposed to, like, amend all this, when it's stated that she's a whole different character in comparison to Neiro now. But even then I feel like I'm just pulling that out of my ass.
>>
>>158921839
>when it's stated that she's a whole different character in comparison to Neiro now

I seemed to me this was a clumsy attempt to make a philosophical point about personal identity and memory, but at the expense of Kaiba and Neiro's development. I think they wanted to show that "clones" with even slightly different memories have to be regarded as different people, but then it would've made more sense narratively if they kept them the same and have Neiro reflect with Kaiba on the people they met. It also would've made the romance that much cuter in the sense that they were never "separated" even though their bodies and memories of each other were.
>>
>>158921423
Actually yes
>>
>>158919509
I love ALL Yuasa stuff, but this one is really peculiar. Couldn't capture anything but empty sadness. Good artstyle and animation, though.
>>
>>158924158
>empty sadness
This is one of the reasons I like it so much; it's intensely sad. The OP gets me every fucking time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3gc6Uc7y0
>>
File: maasaki yuasa is pretentious.png (7KB, 500x182px) Image search: [Google]
maasaki yuasa is pretentious.png
7KB, 500x182px
>>158920486
This.
>>
>>158921811
The bird and Kaiba, too.
>>
>>158924336
yes
YES
i come back to it quite a lot, to be frank, it is better to not stray away from it
>>
I have same thought. I really cared about the adventure/tragedy of the week episodes and didn't give a fuck about the plot heavy episodes. I wish it had stayed standalone stories kind of thing.
>>
>>158927692
>I really cared about the adventure of the week episodes and didn't give a fuck about the plot heavy episodes.
That's exactly my opinion on Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>158924336
I just wish i didnt understand English, because the tune is so nice but the lyrics are so retarded
>>
>>158919509
my favorite anime
>>
Honestly, I don't remember much from this show. I remember that the guy chasing them became pretty cool, that someone got cucked and that in the end everyone suddenly backstabbed everyone. I found his other works a lot more impactful, mainly Tatami Galaxy.
>>
>>158919509
Literally finished this 20 minutes ago. This was a buck-ass wild ride. I preferred the sad planet hopping to the plot stuff in the last few episodes. I felt like the mystery was way more fun than the reveal. The bird being the mom would have been impactful if they spent more than like the first episode and a scene from another to set it up. Otherwise it was an ok resolution. I liked the art, the music was good.
>>
The end doesn't destroy the feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrCkxf0RP8

;_;
>>
File: 1481505871381.jpg (219KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481505871381.jpg
219KB, 1920x1080px
I feel like the end was simply rushed. Show needed more episodes to flesh out Kaiba himself.
Also they needed to actually show Kaiba taking at least some damage from the weapon Neiro was equipped with near the end, scene loses all impact when you know that he will just shake all damage off like usual.

But generally it's still one of my favourite shows and the whole theme of love that transcends simple physical appearances was fairly well-done, as well as all memory manipulation stuff in its entirety and all powerful dramatic moments that come suddenly and fucking destroy you.

Though i still consider Mind Game and Ping Pong better.
>>
>>158919509
Neiro and their love story were disappointing to me after the much better stories in the episodic part. Loved everything else.
>>
Most of what I remember are the pink boots.

;_;
>>
What even happened at the end with Hyo-Hyo and Neiro
>>
>>158935382
Because of their experiences they deviated from each other and became different people.
Hyo-Hyo decided to be with the nerd guy after witnessing his confession.
>>
I really wish there had been some sort of major consequence for Popo. He's a hypocritical shithead who fucks everything up, but nothing happens to him in the end.
>>
>>158937057
Pretty sure that losing his mother's chip by accident and going COMPLETELY insane is a punishment enough, doubt little shithead will ever get back his mental stability.
>>
>>158937057
>>158937124
Indeed, Popo just gradually lost himself to his insanity, and personally I thought that was a fine punishment for him which he brought upon himself - which is better than having some last-minute punishment scene which would have completely destroyed the tone of the entire story.
>>
>>158937124
>>158937208
People are WAY too careless with their personality chips in this universe. The minute Popo decided to lean over the elevator I thinking "he's going to drop it, isn't he?" Same with Vanilla just deciding to through away his mom's memories to save Croniko. Why didn't he just give the chip to her, so that Kaiba could one day revive it or something?

Though I guess this could be a comment on how cheap human life is in that universe. Popo was pretty blinded by his ambitions so I guess it makes sense for him to get cocky and careless.
>>
>>158938010
At that point Popo was already pretty much insane both from his ambitions and that pink-haired girl being brainwashed to a point she became an obedient girl which caused first massive crack in his psyche.

As for Vanilla, from what i remember he uploaded Kaiba's memories remotely and there was only enough time for one person.
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-25+at+06.14.58).jpg (324KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-25+at+06.14.58).jpg
324KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw Mind Game made me go around with a big dumb grin on my face for the rest of a day
Why Yuasa is so fucking good both at making you feel like shit or motivating the hell out of you?
>>
>>158919509
popo did nothing wrong
>>
File: -71115.jpg (14KB, 249x194px) Image search: [Google]
-71115.jpg
14KB, 249x194px
>the piano scene
jesus fuck man
>>
Probably my favorite Yuasa work, even though the second half is kinda rushed.

I just love how far he's able to explore the simple concept of flexible memories, from sexual taboos, human trafficking, trauma, fashion, genders, and whatever else.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.