[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contrast/Gamma in anime: if you have a perfectly calibrated monitor,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Contrast/Gamma in anime: if you have a perfectly calibrated monitor, do you think when watching anime, the contrast/gamma needs to be adjusted? I say this because, most lines around anime characters that should be solid black, are usually a dark gray when inspected closely on a properly calibrated monitor. Is this the artistic intent, or an production error for lines that are supposed to be solid black? What are your thoughts?

Pic related. Specifically, look at the eyes, but zoom in on any black lines here too and you'll see they're just dark gray. If you used the "average grayness of anime characters outlines" as a reference point, you could adjust your contrast/gamma so that these lines are (on average) solid black.

Keep in mind, the artist sketches the art---and then a producer/FX guy---some fuckwit who has no understanding of black/white levels, contrast, gamma, and color balance in general---changes the contrast/hue of the artist's work "to cater to the audience" that they are trying to sell the anime too. They have to be able to walk into a company meeting and say, "these are the color adjustments I made. This will generate more sales." That's literally part of the guy's job. It's his job to fuck with the contrast, just to try to get company stakeholders to stay interested.
>>
>if you have a perfectly calibrated monitor,
Then you don't need any adjustments, because otherwise it wouldn't be perfect.
>>
File: 1497143051196.png (5KB, 990x768px) Image search: [Google]
1497143051196.png
5KB, 990x768px
If the "gray" in OP pic looks black to you, check this pic for reference. Every square in this picture should be distinguished from the black background. The background here has a value of "0" or pure black. Every other square has a value higher than 0, leading up to the 255 value for white.

You are literally missing colors and shades of black/gray/white if you don't calibrate your monitor/TV properly.

80% of people don't calibrate their monitor and use out of the box settings....are you one of them? Also, color contrast here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php
>>
>>158885294
You didn't read the rest of the post. There are people called PRODUCERS who fuck shit up. In many animes, you will never, ever see "Level 0" black, the darkest black. This has to be an error of some producer fucking with the contrast of the artist's art.

What a coder could do, is analyze a video, check what the lowest grayscale color detected is (for example, the lowest grayscale is "value 20" on this chart):

>>158885301

Then it could give you the offset you would need to adjust, so you could adjust your contrast just for that anime, or even convert that anime file itself to lower the contrast.
>>
>>158885350
Take your retarded idea and your reddit spacing back to wherever you come from.
>>
>>158885242
Because every link in the production chain including fansubers does not care about calibration.
>>
File: v1.png (1009KB, 1588x917px) Image search: [Google]
v1.png
1009KB, 1588x917px
There's 2 methods this could be done. Method one: Adjust from center of levels by moving middle slider. Here, it's moved 50 points to the right from center.
>>
File: v2.png (998KB, 1585x908px) Image search: [Google]
v2.png
998KB, 1585x908px
V2: Move left slide (black slider) until it reaches the very base of the next peak in the levels graph (see graph on right side).

>>158885379
>>158885761

Even if you have a cheap, uncalibrated monitor, doesn't the original screenshot in my OP look like washed out shit compared to these adjusted level pictures?
>>
>>158885242
I like that this show uses the foggy coloring instead of hard blacks or solid coloring. It makes it feel more like a kids show, which makes sense because it's rated G.
>>
>>158885962
>>158885992
Those are nice and all but
>>158886008
This
>>
>>158886008
Well, this show of course is an extreme example, of a symptom all pretty much all recent anime releases are suffering from...though some have been corrected in BDs!
>>
>>158885962
>>158885992
Looks like old funimation.
>>
>>158885350
>animes
>reddit spacing
>randomly capitalizing words
Try lurking for 2 years before posting.
>>
>most lines around anime characters that should be solid black
you're wrong in this assumption, using solid black hasn't been common ever since they started doing computer coloring
>>
>>158886041
I've been going to 4chan since 2005. You aren't actually dismantling any of the arguments in my posts. What is the point of your post in this thread?
>>
>>158885992
When you raise saturation, 9 times out of 10 the result will first look "better" to you. That doesn't make oversaturated video good. It just means that humans can't help but be attracted to full colors. You have overfiltered it.
>>
>>158886034
>ellipses
>>158886069
What is the point in you not lurking and learning how to post on /a/ so you stop making it obvious you come directly from reddit? >>158886008 already answered your question. It's pure autism and a waste of time to adjust coloring for every show.
>>
>using a TV as a monitor
>not having it set to standard/game mode/disable processing/just scan ratio

Why do people do this to themselves
>>
>>158885242
>Keep in mind, the artist sketches the art---and then a producer/FX guy---some fuckwit who has no understanding of black/white levels, contrast, gamma, and color balance in general---changes the contrast/hue of the artist's work "to cater to the audience" that they are trying to sell the anime too
the person who decides how the anime is colored is an art director, who is probably a better artist than the people doing the linework you fuckwit
>>
>>158885242
>some fuckwit who has no understanding of black/white levels, contrast, gamma, and color balance in general
you should go learn how cels were colored and why different prints looked different than others.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.