[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Z or Kai for a first time viewing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 15

Z or Kai for a first time viewing?
>>
>>158801113
Read the manga instead
>>
>>158801113
>Kai is faster up until Buu, Z is more consistent.
>>
File: gohuhn.png (126KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
gohuhn.png
126KB, 500x282px
>>158801377
>Z is more consistent.
Consistently full of filler?

Watch Kai. It's DBZ minus the filler. If anyone tells you otherwise, kick them in the throat.
>>
>>158801543
Z has no shitty remastering and better OST.
>>
>>158801113
You read the book, nigga.
>>
>>158801113
Z
one reason: proper god tier OST
>>158801543
fuck this guy. you know you can google which episodes are fillers and which not. of coursse you dont know, because you are an idiot
>>
>>158801113
DB
>>
The read comic of Asian origin instead.
>>
>>158801113
Watch Kai up to Buu, then switch to Z. I can't stand the Sumitomo OST.
>>
>>158801113
DBZ.

1. If you're watching the English dub which most DBZ fans do, even on /a/, the original Frieza is just miles better than Kai Frieza
2. Kai reanimates some of the earlier DBZ scenes and it looks AWFUL. Super-tier garbage.
>>
>>158801820
>raspy woman frieza
>superior to elegant man frieza
>>
File: Frieza.jpg (210KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
Frieza.jpg
210KB, 1400x700px
Frieza's dub voice in Kai is excellent. Honestly I wish they reanimated the whole thing with more modern animation, if you watch subs or if you understand japanese... its probably seen as a cashin.
>>
>>158801861
Raspy woman Frieza is iconic desu.
>>
>>158801895
>Honestly I wish they reanimated the whole thing with more modern animation
Why?
The original Radditz vs Goku and Piccolo fight is better then every fucking fight in Super to date.
>>
>>158802011
Because at parts it feels like you're getting the same product but with better quality voice acting and music.
>>
Z, kai a shit. A SHIT
>>
Watch Dragon Ball first you fucking retard. As someone who did, I'm always amazed by how many people with internet access still choose to skip the best part of the series.
>>
Kai,the original voice is really monotone "you....monster"(weird pause after each word) it also has the most cheesiest lines

here is the best example of what your getting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gUJ_4SyY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfyp_4JpUE
>>
>>158801113
>we will never get Saiyan saga smug Vegeta ever again
>>
>>158801113
kai is for adhd kids and also has more censorship. go for the original z dub.
>>
Z
www.animefillerlist.com/shows/dragon-ball-z
Skip if you don't enjoy the filler
>>
None of the bad things Kai added come close to being as bad as the filler it took out.
>>
>>158801113
Z if you want to watch it subbed. Kai if you want to watch the dub.
>>
File: 1497098572085.png (10KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1497098572085.png
10KB, 180x180px
>>158802444
T-there isn't anyone who can watch both those clips and actually prefer the original...right?
>>
>>158801113
Flip a coin? DBZ Kai cuts a lot of the boring filler but it also cuts a lot of the good filler, too
>>
>>158801806
You and the Kanzenshuu admin would be good friends
>>
>>158802444
Oh God can we get Kai with Z OST someday? Kai music is way too jolly.
>>
>>158805137
I'd love to see several episodes merged together to create one long episode, and each episode covers its respective manga volume (Episode 1 covers what's in Volume 1 of the manga, Episode 5=Volume 5, Episode 20=Volume 20...You get the picture). Keep the good additions from the anime like the power ups and cut the stuff nobody likes.
>>
niether, read the manga

Kai fixes the anime's pacing issues, but not the shit art and animation. The manga has great art.
>>
>>158805610
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHLzq1T98jQ

Shame the updated version of the movie isn't on bluray
>>
>>158805610
Manga doesn't capture the sound, voice acting and general tension of seeing it animated.

No thanks.
>>
>>158801543
And miss piccolo and gokus driving test?
>>
>>158805885
>sound
Fair enough
>voice acting
meh at best
>general tension of animation
KEK. The manga is more tense and tight the anime could ever hope to be. The anime art, direction and pacing is so fucking bad that only a kid could stomach it while the manga is great at all of these.

NEVER watch Dragon Ball.
>>
>>158801113
Z fillers are fun and the OST is Godly.
>>
>>158805885
>no voice acting
Neither the dub or the original did adult Goku justice anyway. They're both lacking in different areas.
>>
>>158801113
Kai.

1) The OST is better, people only like the other one out of nostalgia (look them up on youtube and compare them yourself).
2) Has a ton of filler that is actually non-canon, isn't in the manga, and is contradicted later on.
3) Kai has some well done added scenes that develop characters a little better.

Z is the prototypical example of an anime with filler. There are entire sequences of episodes where nothing happens except for characters chit chatting while someone powers up.
>>
Manga
or Z, we broadcast audio now
>>
>>158805226
The Japanese voices in Kai are fucking weird at first. I'll give you that. You get used to it eventually though.

>>158805579
>jolly
It's heroic. Z's music is like weird atmospheric space music. Kai's music is orchestral adventure/hero music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mcHP1HYkds

>>158802444
Kai did some really great stuff in their rendition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBGrGPhGZBw
>>
>>158801113
The Orange Box version of Z with no cropped video, with English dub and Japanese music
>>
>>158806711
>People list Kai.
>Then go on to say "because the OST is great."
What, that plagiarized garbage that was so fucking bottom of the run generic shit?

How about you fuckers recommend Kai with the reissued OST that is the original broadcasts audio remastered.
>>
>>158808121
There were two different soundtracks for Kai. The one by Kenji Yamamoto is generally considered pretty good but after he got fired for plagiarizing they re-aired the series with a different soundtrack which is the one most people have seen.

Nigga if you think this is shit while the DBZ music is good then you need to get your ears checked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAPl0bsAGyc
>>
>>158802381
I never said I'm not
>>
>>158801113
Manga or Kai. Anime tends to alter personalities a lot though (Goku more heroic, Vegeta more jerkass, Gohan less nerd-ish and more adventurous, Chichi more cunt-ish...).
>>
>>158801820
>1. If you're watching the English dub which most DBZ fans do, even on /a/, the original Frieza is just miles better than Kai Frieza
But it also has the infamous "hero-Goku". Manga doesn't have that cheesy and unnecessary scenes where Goku was about to lose, had a nightmare about his family and friends and got a second wind because of that, because that's NOT his personallity. He's a borderline sociopath who only thinks of fighting and eating without considering the peril.

And Funishit 90's dub is even worse, because they turned Goku into a bad fusion of Clark Kent and fucking Jesus Christ. If you're going to watch DBZ, then watch it in japanese or latino spanish.
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V14C200 - Page 02.png (399KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V14C200 - Page 02.png
399KB, 1024x1536px
>>158809715
>He's a borderline sociopath who only thinks of fighting and eating without considering the peril.
>>
Was it ever explained why none of the Angels intervened when Zamasu was killing off all the GoDs and Kais of his timeline?
>>
>>158809799
Reminder all the Adult Goku sagas and his more human personality were kind of forced by Toriyama's editors because "muh-HnK", "muh-Seinto Seiya", "muh-Jojo", "muh-flashy and trendy battoru manga".

Ironic because after Raditz, Goku returned to his sociopathic ways, even letting Vegeta escape because of "muh unfinished fight" and endangering the universe as a result.
>>
>>158809868
>were kind of forced by Toriyama's editors
[citation needed]
Remember that he wanted to leave Namek without fighting Freeza if possible.
>>
You should read the manga. Go Kai if anything, but be sure to watch the original Dragonball first if you haven't.
>>
>>158809868
Making Goku grow up was entirely Toriyama's idea.

>I got a lot of pushback on that at the time. Apparently in shōnen manga changing what the main character looked like was a big no-no, but I didn’t care about that. His head/body ratio made fighting hard, so I said that if the series was going to start focusing more on battles, then I needed to make him an adult. But this really shocked them: “The series has finally gotten popular, and now you want to go and change everything!” That was the kind of reaction I got.
>“Convince” probably isn’t the right word. First I drew a sketch of adult Goku and sent it over to the editorial office to get their feedback. But then I started drawing the rough draft before I even heard back from them. (laughs) By the time I sent the rough draft to the editorial office, there wasn’t any time left to make major revisions, so they were just like “if you’re so dead-set on doing this, then fine…”
>>
>>158809832
That was Dragon Ball Super.

It was explained, it was because Angels become dormant if there is no GoD around for them to train. Moreover, GoDs die if the corresponding Supreme Kai dies. Soo Killing the supreme kais -> no GoDs ->
no Angels
>>
Kai
Also watch the filler episode from Z where Piccolo and Goku go to learn drive cars after Future Trunks comes to visit.
>>
Only the deaf and retarded think Linda Young's Frieza is better than Chris Ayres's take.

That voice works better Genkai, a literal old woman.
>>
>>158801113
Watch Z with a filler guide.
>>
File: 1498053766124.png (260KB, 483x368px) Image search: [Google]
1498053766124.png
260KB, 483x368px
>No Garlic Jr Saga
>No Driving Test Saga
I've only completely watched Kai, and it's pretty good. You miss some stuff which is valuable, like Gohan's wilderness training, but for the most part it cuts the junk and tells a contained story.
I think it's 97 episodes, vs 300-ish for DBZ, and it seems like most of the cut content is stuff you don't really need to care about.
>>
Kai is great but I still love filler, personally. Plus IMO seeing characters' daily lives makes the fights more meaningful.
>>
Read the manga. Don't watch the anime at all.
>>
>>158806329
Toriyama himself chose Nozawa to be the voice of Goku. Get fuck.
>>
>>158801113

There is some decent filler.

Saiyan Saga filler is pretty great

Most Namek saga filler is pretty trash

Cell Saga didn't have much filler, instead it just dragged out the pacing to one piece levels. Still the filler before the Cell Games was pretty good.

Otherworld tournament is one of the best filler arcs in anime.

Buu Saga is similar to Cell Saga in that it didn't have much filler content, just dragged out the episodes.
>>
>>158802444

Oh man, I loved Frieza's old VA. The new guy is fine, but holy fuck I loved Frieza's weird old voice.
>>
>>158813173
Yeah when he was a child, Nozawa is great, but she doesn't fit a grown ass man that has grandchildren.
She was superb as Black, though.
>>
Kai, as there is no good filler in DBZ.
Yet I'd actually suggest reading the manga instead; the art is still a marvel to the eye and you'll save even more time.
>>
Kai + driving episode
Anyone who says otherwise is a nostalgiafag or a spic
>>
File: 1480742549220.png (274KB, 389x416px) Image search: [Google]
1480742549220.png
274KB, 389x416px
>>158813373
>She was superb as Black, though.

Subarashii
>>
File: 1460866381936.jpg (125KB, 363x463px) Image search: [Google]
1460866381936.jpg
125KB, 363x463px
>>158813463
>no good filler in DBZ.
>He doesn't like the driving episode.
>He doesn't like the comfy SoL great saiyaman episodes.
>He doesn't like the post buu episodes where you see the crew just chilling
>>
>>158813676
Watch the Saiyaman filler episodes right now you fucking faggot.
>>
>>158813714
I watched it last year and it was fun you pleb.
>>
File: latest-17.png (191KB, 704x574px) Image search: [Google]
latest-17.png
191KB, 704x574px
>>158813629
Utsukushii
>>
>>158813173
>defending a granny sounding like pressing the tummy of your little sister's toy ontop of someone speaking being the voice of grown men
Words cannot describe what I feel right now
>>
>>158813173
Does she have kids/grandkids?
Imagine how cool her kids felt knowing their Mom was goku in the late 90's and early 2000's
Imagine how cool her grandkids must feel now knowing their fucking nana is goku
>>
>>158813773
If you liked the Chobi episode then quite frankly I don't think you qualify as a human
>>
File: 1496138458735.jpg (41KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1496138458735.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
If watching it in Japanese watch Z. If watching it in English watch Kai.
I personally prefer the manga, but that's just me.
>>
>>158814159
No she is a typical carreer women who is marries to her job.
She once said in an intervirw
>I am pretty much married to Goku (laughs)
A
>>
>>158809715

Man, there are a lot of legit reasons to shit on the old funi dub, but that is not one of them. The ONLY scene where anything is the "I am a super saiyan!" speech.
>>
>>158814425
*where anything like that happened
>>
File: UPT5pZl.jpg (314KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
UPT5pZl.jpg
314KB, 1024x1536px
https://youtu.be/WeXUgF2qEuk
vs
https://youtu.be/I0H6-qS8K4E
>>
>>158814828
>dub
both are shit.
>>
File: img_2.jpg (239KB, 582x651px) Image search: [Google]
img_2.jpg
239KB, 582x651px
>>158814828
https://youtu.be/3kkMO4yjjXE
>>
>>158811237
Agreed. The Genkai voice isn't as forced as Young's Freeza voice, either.
>>
>>158801113
Honeslty.... I'd go with Z. Kai is faster and has less filler, but Kai is... I don't know... odd. It just isn't as fun as Z. Plus you can just skip the filler episodes in Z if you don't like them. Kai's new sound mixing and voice acting seems a little off to me. I can't enjoy it as much. It's not a nostalgia thing cause I was well into my 20s when I first saw DBZ start to finish.

Also the Kai OST is garbage in comparison.
>>
>>158801113
Neither. Watch Dr. Slump, then Dragon Ball and nothing else.
>>
Just watch Dragon Ball.
>>
>>158815380
So is the Japanese version for that matter, only worse.
>>
File: goku-sunglasses.jpg (31KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
goku-sunglasses.jpg
31KB, 449x600px
>>158801113
If you are a shitty dub fag KAI for sure.
If you are watching subs, Either is fine but the performances in Z are better.
>>
>>158801113
Z had better more memoriable OST
>>
Z dubbed with Bruce Faulconer music is the only way to watch it.
>>
Why is DBZ the only anime where /a/ has this dub vs sub discussion? Everything else we agree that dubs are cancer, but talk about DBZ and you get shit posts like these:
>>158818791
>>
>>158818868
You don't qualify as a human being if you watch Space Dandy subbed or play No More Heroes subbed.
>>
>>158818868
It isn't the only one. There are some dubs that are unanimously praised as well. Most times it's subs that wins out, but it isn't iron-clad.
>>
File: troopz.jpg (32KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
troopz.jpg
32KB, 800x504px
>>158801113
read the manga or watch kai dont be a dickhead blud
>>
https://youtu.be/XebyKpo6A9s
Anyone who says the dub is better is retarded.
>>
>>158818868
Dubs are 9 out of 10 times way worse than subs, bht some dubs can be good or hell be even better than subs.
The G-gundam dub was great and only added to the cheesiness of the show.
I have even heard a dub where some relatively new guy outperformed Ikeda Shuuichi of all people.
>>
I'd say read the manga. All of it. It's great. Try to look into some of the Mofogoku translations and others of that vein because there's a lot of censorship with the Viz releases. Though they aren't too terrible otherwise, apart from changing names.

But if you absolutely have your heart set on watching, you have a few options.

1. Japanese Z.

A. The performances and music are usually better in the Japanese version of Z compared to Kai. Most of Kai's cast returns, but some of the voices have aged, and while some performances do hit emotional moments and so on better, the aging of the voices does take you back. This, however, may just a bias from people who already watched Japanese Z before Kai, in which case it may not apply to you. The music is still more fitting.

B. Unfortunately, the original Z is massive. There is a lot of filler ─ and I mean a lot. It's to the point where even using an episode guide wouldn't help much. I'm not talking about non-canon filler like Piccolo and Goku learning to drive. I'm talking about how the series drags out moments that should take a half an episode or so to the length of two episodes, if not more.

2. English dub Z

A. There are multiple English dubs for Z. I'll talk about Funimation. Simply put, it isn't very good. The performances miss because of a number of things, like inexperience or voice actors playing random character tropes. The way the script is written completely changes the way Goku behaves, misconstrues key plot points, etc. This is somewhat rectified in the DVD releases, a lot of the vocal performances improve, but it's still not all that great.

B. The Falcouner tracks. It's an acquired taste. Some songs work, some don't. You have the option of hearing the English voices over the Japanese soundtrack if you watch the DVD releases.

1/2
>>
>>158801820
>watching Dragon Ball for the first time
>watching the dub
Jesus Christ I hope none of you guys did this. If you have the Japanese version available, watch that. Don't soil it with awful dubs.
>>
>>158818868
Most people here grew up on toonami shit so they fight for their childhood shit taste. Other understand that the dub was garbage but still prefer it. Last have moved on to Japanese.
>>
Kai, unless you're really into the idea of watching nothing happen for what amounts to several dozen hours
>>
>>158820602
The general benefit of watching Kai over Z is that it trims a lot of the fat found in Z, cutting the overall length of the series to about a third or so. It has some caveats, as you'll find nothing pertaining to this franchise is perfect. Let's go over them.

3. Japanese Kai.

A. Some parts of Kai's script were rewritten. It's a minimal change, but it had to be done to make sense of the way some scenes were recut. This is a plus. As mentioned before, a lot of the voices have aged by the time Kai comes around. You still get great performances from Nozawa and Morikawa, but the aging of their voices might take you away from the supposed ages of the characters they're playing. This is more of a problem for Morikawa's Vegeta, who has a bit more edge in his voice, whereas his Z performance was perfect for a warrior prince. Nozawa can still go, but there's a bit of warbling when she has to scream. These are just some examples of age taking its toll, but the Kai cast still puts out some great performances past their prime.

B. The soundtrack has changed completely from Z. The Saiyan arc and Namek/Freeza arc benefit from a pretty compelling score. Some prefer it to Z's original stuff. But the music was plagiarized, and it changes drastically by the time the Artificial Humans come around. It's even worse during the Buu saga. There's a strong disconnect between the moods of a scene and the music used for it.

4. English dub Kai.

A. Again, I'm going to cover Funimation. The VAs have improved massively. Most return. The scripts are heavily rewritten to ensure that the finished product is closer to the original Japanese. Some minor liberties are taken. Freeza's new voice is incredibly fitting, but child Gohan's new voice might be off-putting to some. Most of the voices work well, but some miss horribly.

B. No Falcouner or original tracks. The music is unchanged from Japanese Kai's own, so it suffers similar issues.
>>
>>158818868
It's almost like sometimes dubs are well made
>>
>>158811808
>I think it's 97 episodes

Yeah, without counting the entire Buu saga.

It's 150-160ish episodes in total
>>
>>158821014
>cutting the overall length of the series to about a third or so
more like half
>>
Z, Faulconer soundtrack, Goku and Piccolo getting their licenses on repeat
>>
>>158820602
>>158821014
Let's put up some sample videos while we're at it. Keep in mind, these are edited for time, so compare the audio to determine what's most suitable for you.

Original Z - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_x7RM4bQ4

Japanese Kai - https://youtu.be/tZaWINhwToo

Funimation Z - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtgYEavwdGE

Funimation Kai - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1o5krVrVf8

>>158821375
You're right, sorry about that.
>>
>>158802785
only the broadcast versions in the west are censored

the BD release is uncut
>>
>>158806711
Frieza's defeat on Namek was shitty in Z, but fantastic in Kai

Cell's defeat was shitty in Kai, but fantastic in Z
>>
>>158821619
Thanks for reminding me how shit Goku's voice is subbed, now I don't have to consider it.
>>
As someone who has never seen Kai, what is removed? Are entire villains taken own or is the show just condensed?
>>
>>158822991
I imagine there aren't any episodes like Deja Vu.
>>
>>158823033
The majority of the filler and scene extenders.
>>
>>158801820
linda young frieza is seriously awful. new english frieza is much better, second only to nakao
>>
>>158822000
>Implying your american version is any better
>>
>>158801113
Z, then Kai.

Don't do it otherwise.
>>
>>158801113
read the manga up to volume 10 and then quit
>>
>>158801113
kai
>>
>>158801113
If you're watching it dubbed, definitely Kai. The dub for Z is horrible. Replacing actors halfway through the show, censorship, a lot of shitty performances.
Also if you haven't watched Dragon Ball, first do that. Dragon Ball is better than both Z and Kai.
>>
>>158827370
Dragon Ball is the only thing he should watch.
>>
>>158801113
Saiyan saga Kai is kind of terrible for first time viewing if you haven't watched Dragon Ball first. All these characters are thrust at you without proper introductions, but at least with Z the early filler gives you an idea who they are. As everyone else said though, you're better off just watching Dragon Ball.
>>
>>158818868
Most of us prefer Bebop dubs too
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.