[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with scanlation groups?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 512
Thread images: 42

File: img000022.png (130KB, 1200x1562px) Image search: [Google]
img000022.png
130KB, 1200x1562px
What's the deal with scanlation groups?
>>
you faggots got what you wanted so what's the problem?
>>
They translate shit for free most of the time.

They have to make up for their otherwise worthless existence.
>>
inb4 thread deleted.
>>
>>158790730
your existence
>>
HAH. Didnt even read that nonsense, just "we lose" was enough to know they were faggots to the very bone. Either stick to your guns, or dont act like faggots in the first place. THE WORST thing you can do is act like know it all faggots, only to give in and pretend "omg ya well i didnt care anyway."

Sure you didnt. Sure. Bye bye, fuck off.
>>
>>158790605
Didn't even see the image and I already knew it was those fags. Good ridance.
>>
>>158790605
90% are gigantic narcissistic attention whores who believe they are always right.
that image is the perfect example.

they try to act like they didn't care but they remembered and namecalled three people and the entire thing reeked of literal children going
>you didn't win!
>>
>>158790605
Ít's going to annoy me that I won't have a translator for Satanophany. I was actually enjoying it.
>>
>we don't care
>but let me write several paragraphs about just how much we don't care
>seriously, we don't
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 976x734px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 976x734px
This is cute
>>
>>158790605
>margin notes
hurrdurr comments on the pages?
>>
>it's everyone else's fault they got mad
>we found his behavior entertaining haha we didn't get buttmad as fuck honest haha
>shrugquitting
>we don't care about this series anyway

That desperate teenage frustration. Wobbly bottom lipped bullshit.
>>
File: no_fucks_given.jpg (8KB, 253x195px) Image search: [Google]
no_fucks_given.jpg
8KB, 253x195px
>nerd drama
>>
>>158791379
Worse, towards the end, they got so butthurt over the backlash and people erasing their unwanted commentary, they actually began to put it on the panels themselves.
>>
>>158790605
Yeah fuck you Jason!
>>
>translate manga illegally
>claim legal ownership of it
>butthurt ensues when people don't buy into their rhetorics
>claim victimhood
Scanlator delusional sense of self-importance is fucking retarded. What you do with the work is not yours. You have no legal nor moral ownership over any work or derivative work on the manga translation.
>>
As a translator, I've never encountered a situation like this, partly because I don't do things that are guaranteed to piss of the readers, and partly because I've been lucky.
>>
File: 1408967226493.png (102KB, 263x351px) Image search: [Google]
1408967226493.png
102KB, 263x351px
>shitty sub group translates a shitty manga
>LEL XD everywhere
>baww people dont like it
>>
>>158791851

I only know about these because someone on /a/ inevitably posts it because they read garbage manga by garbage groups.
>>
>>158790605
What kind of notes were they putting in the margins and why?
>>
>>158790605
I still don't get it.
What's their point?
>>
Scanlators largely seem to like to pick up popular shit and then throw shit at each other. They're like fansubbers that way.

Scanlators that pick up some random mango nobody else ever bothered with don't seem to be bothered with drama much. Or god help them pick up one that uses technical terminology that baffles and befuddles the average low-level jpn translator; I remember moyashimon was supposed to be hell because it uses a lot of technical moonrunes that even average elevens wouldn't be able to read without a kanji dictionary.
>>
>>158791949
Meme TL notes.
>>
>>158791992
>Moyashimon was supposed to be hell because it uses a lot of technical moonrunes
Thankfully it got picked up by probably the most competent and timely fan scanlation team that has ever existed, but they only do manga with crossdressers.
>>
>>158790605
>Part of the scanlation team
>"I COULD care less"
They were scrubs either way desu.
>>
>W-we didnt care
>which is why we wasted our time and effort putting faggotass meme notes on the side
Good riddance
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>158792104
>but they only do manga with crossdressers.
Is that a joke or truth?
>>
>>158792475
https://hachimitsu-scans.blogspot.com/
Perhaps not exclusively but almost all of it is.
>>
>>158790605
Why doesn't anyone scanlate just so non-Japanese can enjoy it? Isn't that the purpose of scanlating? Why does it always end up in these shitstorms?
>>
>>158792439
Bunch of faggots scanlators got analblasted because the readers started editing the scans to remove their shitty meme notes, so they started putting the notes inside the panels.
The readers found a way to edit those pages too, so the scanlators ragequitted.
>>
>>158792686
Couldn't they just, I don't know, not be faggots or something?
>>
>>158792729
>Couldn't they just, I don't know, not be faggots or something?
That's an impossible task anon. Most scanlators act like dicks because they need to feel like they are important for translating.
>>
>>158792683
Those scanlators exist.
You just never hear about them since they don't stir up drama every week.
>>
>>158792825
They are true unsung heroes, and we should take a moment to give thanks for them. If anything, this Death Toll Drama reminds us how lucky we are with these other groups.
>>
Hahahaha jesus christ. I'm almost drowning in the amount of asshurt pouring out of those massive paragraphs all to tell us how they definitely don't care about this at all.
>>
>>158792683
>>158792825
>>158792887
Indeed, just look at all the scanlation work that gets done right here on /a/. ALWAYS make sure to drop a thank you in a live translation/typesetting/whatever thread.
>>
>autists rage about TL notes because, uh, well no one knows
>piss off a group doing translations for free
>now that series won't ever be translated, or fans will have to wait much longer
>somehow this is a win for manga fans because ... ???

If you can't read Japanese you have no right to bitch about the notes in some manga you can only enjoy because a group of people who took the time to actually learn Japanese are providing you the translation (and editing, typesetting, etc) for free. Just ignore the notes if you don't like them, who cares? It's not the end of the world. Now fans of that series are left hanging because some autists threw a hissy fit over literally nothing.
>>
Death Toll is a garbage group.
It's a shame because they pick interesting manga.

Fuck them.
>>
File: img000021.png (31KB, 690x748px) Image search: [Google]
img000021.png
31KB, 690x748px
>>158790605
Mein sides.
Pic related was their previous statement on the matter.
What a bunch of attention whore kiddos.
>>
>>158793420
Are you that Wraith guy? Noboy else can be that retarded.
>>
>>158793420
Don't you worry, there's always some individual or group just itching to pick it up.

Unless of course this shit just isn't popular enough.
>>
>>158793623
Autism on a power trip.
>>
>>158793420
Wraith youre pathetic.
>>
>>158793420
>austists put stupid TL notes because, uh, well no one knows
>>
>>158790605
>w-we totally not care for this series at all, w-were not ragequitting
>proceeds to throw a fit with username from other forums ala coldsteel meme
This salt is really sweet.
>>
>>158793763
I don't read the manga they're talking about, I'm just saying that attacking some scantilation group over something as asinine as TL notes is rediculous and only hurts the fans. From their letter you see none of them really cared about doing it, but they were working on it because others enjoyed the work. Now those fans are left high and dry and they just have to hope someone else comes along and picks up where the other group left off. But if no one does? Well, some autists just ruined the fun for everyone because they're so butthurt about some stupid notes they bit the hand that fed them.

If they did know another group was going to pick it up, why bother editing the pages themselves? They could've just waited for the other group to start releasing and began reading them. But no, they decided that it's their way or the highway and now translations have stopped completely.

>>158793937
They may have been stupid, but at least the series was being translated. Now it isn't. Is that really a win for the fans?
>>
>>158794063
> Is that really a win for the fans?
Considering that now the manga can be picked up by people who aren't completely retarded, it may very well be a win.
>>
>>158793623
They sure take themselves seriously.

Glad I know moonrunes so I don't have to deal with the overblown egos of retards.
>>
>>158790605
clinical autism
>>
File: Did_it_for_Akko~01.png (59KB, 309x196px) Image search: [Google]
Did_it_for_Akko~01.png
59KB, 309x196px
>>158793623
Oh my fucking god
>>
>>158793623
>I know Japanese
>I know how to use PS
I'm good
>>
That's why if you're gonna meme just do it at the end of the chapter in credits or whatever, don't insult the author/readers by putting it on the actual pages, even that /pol/ crossboarder with the Islam memes doesn't stoop that low.
>>
>>158792729
Thats like asking western anime-manga fans to buy manga/anime.

Impossible
>>
After they said all this:
>Yes, we're doing the scanlation and you have to sit through our bullshit. You're powerless. All you can do is rant and rant and rant. It won't affect our behaviour or our enjoyment in the notes; if it does affect it, it will be by spurring us onto doubling down in the notes.
>We don't care what you or anyone else thinks of our behaviour. We're not trying to be popular. And if you come with the eternal rejoinder, "you must care or you wouldn't even respond", I can only say: yes, we care about as much as we do when we see a circus monkey's antics. We may say something, even applaud, but it won't really leave a dent into how we go about life.
>You can't make us stop, so shut up or get out. Or, you know, keep writhing and squirming in the comment section for our delight.
My fucking sides.

>>158793420
Take a look at the actual release, they're not TL notes, it's retards acting like the manga is their own personal message board from 2005, complete with 12yo unfunny retard-tier jokes.
>PR/N: <Homer Simpson voice> Hmmm, pork butt.
>TS/N: Wait, she's not a pig anymore?
Those were both real examples from this.

Keep in mind you're talking to /a/, where completely anonymous scanlations are done all the time, purely because people like the manga and think scanlating it is its own reward. No one who does this shit anonymously complains if someone changes their work, jumps in mid-chapter, or beats them to finishing something.

"Ohhh but the poor group's doing it for free! They should be getting recognition for their hard work! Who cares if they're stealing someone else's work, editing it and then getting angry when someone else does the same thing to them!"
>>
>>158794480
>Keep in mind you're talking to /a/, where completely anonymous scanlations are done all the time, purely because people like the manga and think scanlating it is its own reward. No one who does this shit anonymously complains if someone changes their work, jumps in mid-chapter, or beats them to finishing something.
There was that time Aereus threw a fit because someone translated a Boku Girl side chapter before he did, and so he disappeared and refused to translate more chapters right as the manga was ending.
>>
I can't believe what I'm reading. Somebody downloaded the scanlated manga that these people worked really hard on, and that person dared to use the eraser tool on it without even asking for permission first!? Whoever is responsible is truly worse than Griffith.
>>
Could someone provide an image with an example of these allegedly dreadfully blasphemous TL notes? I assume it has to be something beyond obnoxious for people to have whined enough to make the group quit.
>>
>>158794976
Here's one in the corner.
>>
I hate this shit. I really appreciate that someone is translating manga, but drama is stupid.

Just exist in your bubble, work on what you like, and release it.

ALSO PLEASE TRANSLATE LESSER KNOWN STUFF!! we dont need 15 groups translating onepiece and other shit that is over supported. Meanwhile other things have gone 1-3 years without a new chapter being scanlated.
>>
>>158790605
>not learning nip

this is your punishment
>>
>>158790605
Undeserved ego and pride.
>>
>>158791456
Did someone redraw them out as well?
>>
>>158795719
ya
>>
>>158795719
You can copypasta if you find the raws.
>>
File: 1366013966946.jpg (84KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
1366013966946.jpg
84KB, 640x420px
>>158790605
>>
>>158794595
Aereus doesn't sound very anonymous m8. Hell, he even used a tripcode.
>>
File: 1451767564484.jpg (29KB, 539x566px) Image search: [Google]
1451767564484.jpg
29KB, 539x566px
The life of an EOP must truly suck
>>
translator is the only one that matters anyways
>>
>>158796227
But then you get releases in grey pages with bold comic sans.
>>
>>158796227
Pretty much.
I don't get why some groups have a credit page with like 10 people doing different stuff.
E-penis, I guess.
>>
>>158796227
Unrelated translator with no editing skills here, I disagree completely. The editors and redrawers I've worked with have done great work for near-zero recognition while I get all the thanks. That's pretty unfair, and I point it out every chance I get.
>>
>>158795041
>Making me turn my head 90°
The hate is well deserved.
>>
>>158796227
Translating is piss-easy. I can memorize new words on Anki all day, but for fuck's sake I have no idea how to use Photoshop.
>>
>>158796350
yeah i love cleaning raws and typesetting too, but you dont need to know japanese to straighten pages, so unless you can into moon, you just have wordless pages
>>
>>158796129
How long does it take you to learn nip enough to be able to understamd your average shounen? Been thinking of doing it ever since I found a import book store full of cheap manga.
>>
>>158795041
So it's about some attention whore being mad that their obnoxious unsolicited opinion is being ignored.

What a dumb cunt.

People want translations, not commentary tracks. If you feel really fucking compelled to express your opinion, release two versions (one with worthless commentary, one without) and let people read whatever they want.

Nobody gives a shit about some intermediary's opinion in a body of work. People tolerate and even enjoy a T/N joke here or there but if you're both fucking unfunny AND plaster that shit on every page then yeah, people will edit you out since they just want to enjoy the fucking work.

People want to read <Shitty Ecchi Manga>, not <Some Internet Rando's Opinion on: Shitty Ecchi Manga>
>>
>>158796568
Depends on how much you're willing to grind. At 20 new words per day and an hour studying grammar daily you'll be competent enough for most manga in less than a year.
>>
>>158796653
Is Genki still the way to go?
>>
>>158790605
Why the fuck would you deride the series you scanlate in margin-notes?

Why not use the TL-notes- or credits-page
>>
>>158796686
Personally, I used Tae Kim, but I don't think what textbook you use matters much. Most of what you learn about grammar comes from experience in using the language.
>>
>>158796107
The guy who did the side chapter wasn't anonymous either, but it was still a stupid thing to get mad about when translations were so far behind anyway.
>>
>>158794063
Not like anything changes given the tons of abandoned or never-scanlated series.

Just reads something else until maybe someone picks it up.
>>
>>158794356
>That's why if you're gonna meme just do it at the end of the chapter in credits or whatever, don't insult the author/readers by putting it on the actual pages, even that /pol/ crossboarder with the Islam memes doesn't stoop that low.
Reminds of those fucking meme-translations of Kaguya that get inevitably ripped by some online readers, leaving readers befuddled why the Author (!!!) would write something like that.
>>
>>158796731
According to the faggot that writes those statements, they were scanlating a series they don't even care about.
>>
>>158794480
>Keep in mind you're talking to /a/, where completely anonymous scanlations are done all the time, purely because people like the manga and think scanlating it is its own reward. No one who does this shit anonymously complains if someone changes their work, jumps in mid-chapter, or beats them to finishing something.
>"Ohhh but the poor group's doing it for free! They should be getting recognition for their hard work! Who cares if they're stealing someone else's work, editing it and then getting angry when someone else does the same thing to them!"
Exactly. At least have the decency not to shit on the Authors hard work.
>>
>>158796475
>>158796495
most of the basic shit to put you above the bluescan ariel mspaint tier can be learned in 2-3 weekends if you are mildly competent with computers , and most redrawing is either unnecessary or can be done with the pattern tool. even if english isnt your first language, sharp literal translations and MSpaint are still better than no translation. with out the translation you arent any further ahead
>>
>>158796227
Yeah. I got tired of retard 'editors', 'proofreaders' and 'quality checkers' all who didn't speak Japanese and also had worse English than me.
Took me a day to torrent PS and learn how to clean and since then I've been doing shit I like alone.
>>
>>158790605
That fucking reminds me of slowpoke Utopia, that complained (!!!) when /a/ managed to close the 30(!) chapter-gap.

(You won't get it from us!)

Now they are back (with 1 chapter delay I think).
>>
>>158797013
There is also Kanji-Tomo.

Though transcribing names and other Kanji-types is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>158790605
>I could care less
Why are people so retarded they think this is the correct way to say it? It's always americans too who have english as their main language, what the fuck
>>
>>158796496
And that's why things like "translator is the only one that matters" is a dumb statement. Every person in the scanlator group is important, the translator only has the rarest skill.
Saying that you only need the translation is like saying you don't mind streaming in 240p because you only need subtitles.
>>
>>158797133
It's a doggy dog world, bro.
>>
>>158792521
>Perhaps not exclusively but almost all of it is.
Almost all being truth or jest?
>>
>>158797133
>what is sarcasm
>>
Someone break this shit down for me and my small IQ. WTF is this about? I want to laugh too...
>>
File: lazyass.png (384KB, 806x1200px) Image search: [Google]
lazyass.png
384KB, 806x1200px
I'd take meme TL notes over shit like this any day of the week.
>>
This is why scanlation generals need to be banned. It attracts the Reddit attention whore group. Daiz's trip as well as the names Herkz and Xythar need to be banned as well. Fucking faggots.
>>
>>158797426
Translation group put those obnoxious unfunny commentaries in the white border of a manga, people started to clean those comments and release versions without them. Scanlators get butthurt and start putting the notes on top of the drawings, all while pretending they don't give a shit when they are clearly being little bitches.
>>
>>158797426
1. Scanlation group writes "funny" comments in the margins of the manga.
2. People don't think it's funny. One guy erases their comments and reuploads the chapters.
3. Scanlation group gets mad and writes their comments inside the actual manga panels, on top of the art, in order to make it much harder to remove.
4. People get mad and call them faggots. A few people talk about scanning the manga themselves.
5. Scanlation group gets mad and quits the manga, saying they don't care. In all likelihood, even if they honestly don't care about the manga, they're probably waiting for people to beg them to come back.
>>
>>158797501
What are you talking about?
>>
>>158797472
Amanchu too, at that. It deserves better.
>>
>>158797133
https://www.merriam-webster.com/video/could-care-less-or-couldnt-care-less
>>
The worst is when there's a series that a group translates one volume of, and then won't continue but also took down the raws of the other volumes because they still think it's "theirs". And of course, it's an unpopular manga by an author who is popular for things that are absolutely nothing like it, so I'll never get to read the rest of it.
>>
>>158797501

pretty sure Daiz is a ban on sight, but that's because he shills for fakku. if his name is typed one more time he's sure to appear though
>>
>>158797169
unless you are on a team of people getting paid, or your scanlation team is incompetent jackasses, all those things can be done by 1-2 people ,thats including the translator, tops to an acceptable level in a reasonable amount of time, and unless you have someone who speaks japanese as quality control, you are really just spellchecking, and any comment section will be the real quality control anyways
>>
>this after acting like gigantic faggots last week
>w-we don't care
Good joke.

Still, glad I didn't care about this series in the first place either.
>>
>>158797731
daiz
>>
File: kill_me_baby_017_yasuna.png (212KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
kill_me_baby_017_yasuna.png
212KB, 500x500px
>>158797472
You know, it'd be kinda cool, if guesslating and rewriting was taken to a high level that made it its own artform.
>>
I would rather have no one translate something than to have drama whores shit on a series they don't even like, but do it for the e-peen.

You are what's wrong with scanlations.
>>
>>158796653
>At less than 1000 words and under 400 hours of grammar practice you'll be able to read most manga
Why are you lying to him? At that level, you'd barely be able to follow Yotsuba, and even then you'd only have a fleeting grasp of most conversations.
>>
>>158797827
>less than 1000 words

By the end of a year he'll have learned more than 6000 words. A quick check in a dictionary here and there for jargon and less often used words and he'll be good.
>>
See, the real problem here is that most scanlators are pure shit at what they do. Be it their editing skills or their translation skills.

And then there's retards that think releasing things on 1200px is acceptable when your average monitor is going to be 4k very soon.
>>
>>158797597
Is this your first week here?
>>
>>158797773
My point is still valid. If the translator can't use photoshop or whatever he can't make quality releases. And if the translator does all the job, the translator part alone can't produce quality releases and it takes a lot more time and dedication. A team is important as a whole.
>>
>>158797808
Guesslating already runs rampant.
Or are you thinking of something closer to the Ghost Stories dub?
>>
>>158797901
I don't see any reddit or daiz or the cartel here, what's your problem?
>>
>>158797895
You're right, I missed a 0. At an hour a day, he's still going to have only a fleeting grasp of grammar. If you want to get good, you need to sit down and read for a few hours at least on the weekends.
>>
>>158797960
>Thread about shitty translators
>Mention shitty translators and say they should be banned
>"They aren't in this thread at this very second, what are you talking about?"
Did you hit your head?
>>
>>158797944
You want to play a fun game? Be a native English speaker, learn moon, buy pretty much any manga, open it up and also bring up the scanlations online, then read and compare. I swear to God it takes years off your life.
>>
>>158798009
You're paranoid.
>>
>>158797944
I'm thinking of abandoning the actual story but making an honest effort to come up with something nice of which you know that it's not at all what the author intended to be.

I just noticed how easy inconsistencies would get introduced, if the series isn't finished yet, though.
>>
>>158798009
The actual weekly scanlation threads on /a/ are pretty good mate, I dunno what you're on about.
>>
>>158798061
You're retarded.
>>
File: 1474309987403.png (136KB, 285x271px) Image search: [Google]
1474309987403.png
136KB, 285x271px
>>158797574
that's some shit
>>
>>158798059
>I swear to God it takes years off your life.
Is that a good or bad thing?

Sorry, not a native English speaker.
>>
>>158798172
Anon are you okay?
>>
>>158798176
Have 20 years left to live.
Read 'translations' for an hour.
Have 10 years left to live.

Good or bad?
>>
>>158797903
It isn't.

Native speakers can pump out translated chapters like there is no tomorrow, if they get good raws.

The other parts aren't that hard to learn.

Also depends on the manga.
>>
>>158798176
Smoking takes years off your life. Eating bad food and not exercising takes years off your life. If someone scares the shit out of you, you can say "That took a few years off my life." It's a very bad thing. Basically, you read horrible ESLfag English that rapes your mother tongue, and the translations (shit English aside) are also usually horribly inaccurate.
>>
>>158793623
>they think typesetting is a complex skill that could take more than a night to figure out
>>
>>158798176
If you would consider it a good thing, there are much more effective methods of suicide
>>
>>158798225
I will be if scanlation generals and the people they bring here disappear.
>>
>>158798059
Don't worry, I know.
I do know Japanese and I scanlate, but I think even just being a native English speaker, you can often tell when something is mistranslated (although you don't necessarily know what it should actually be). Not to mention all of the stilted phrasing everywhere.

>>158798095
If someone were to seriously try their hand at it, there's nothing stopping them from drawing attention to it as a joke or just leaving out pages that aren't consistent with their rewrite. I guess something along the lines of DBZ Abridged.

>>158798108
No they aren't. Do you just selectively ignore all of the shitflinging that goes on? Most of the threads devolve into arguing about proper cleaning techniques and page size. And yes, that was going on even before Captain I-Know-It's-You-Akemi showed up with his pet project and screaming at everyone about how inferior they all are.
>>
>>158798307
And what's wrong with people discussing their cleaning routines?
>>
What is it about scanlation or subbing groups that always make them easily triggered over random internet comments? Are they actually babies?
>>
>>158798307
Imagine if you took a super obscure series that no one's ever translated, and then just completely winged it. Like you just made up everything based on what you saw on the pages. And the whole joke was that it was the only English release of the series, and it was completely made up
>>
>>158798307
>stilted phrasing
I hate this in scanlation as much as I hate meme subs in anime. On the note of shit translations, I once saw 例の指輪 translated as "for example, a ring." An English speaker wouldn't know that's wrong, but reading it made my head hurt.

Also, I about those horrible scanlations threads when someone I knew had an epenis attack inside of one (that's when I learned what kind of people went there) but I had no idea that retard Crack-kun joined them. I might go back just to see him pretend he actually knows moon and English. That guy's a riot.

>>158798387
From my experience, there are a lot of teenagers, yes.
>>
>>158798238
>>158798253
>>158798285
I thought that's a metaphor expressing that it makes you feel rejuvenated:

"I'm 60 years old, but then I read an olddog translation and it took 40 years off my life. Now I feel like a 20 years young man again!"
>>
>>158798377
Nothing, if there's actual discussion happening.
Oftentimes though, it's just "you did what? I'm done talking to you, you're clearly retarded"
>>
>>158798059
>tfw I did this with Watamote
I thought World 3 was supposed to be a good group
>>
>>158798438
Nope, it means it takes years off the end of your life, leaving you with less time to live. I wish all ESLfags were as polite and willing to actually improve their English as you are.
>>
>>158798438
>>158798478
He's right though, it can be used idiomatically to mean "make you appear/feel younger"
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+years+off

Probably a regional thing.
>>
>>158798438
Welcome to English, where everything's made up and it doesn't matter what the word order is.
>>
>>158790605
wew, the massive anal devastation is tangible. death toll BTFO.
>>
>>158798421
I've thought about it before, but the opportunity cost of not seriously scanlating something I actually care about is too high.
>>
>>158798558
"Took years off" and "took years of my life." are different.
>>
>>158790605
The deal is only retards like you give a shit.
The smart readers like myself read their manga and don't bother with the kids' drama.
>>
>>158798587
i think there is a language thats like that
>>
>>158798634
Ah, good point. I didn't recognize the difference until now.
>>
>>158798473
There are like 5 good groups. Just assume every translation you see is wrong.
>>
>>158797013
It's not that simple, and I'd much rather leave it to someone who's good at it and devote that time to translating instead.

>>158798307
>>158798434
Not only is stilted phrasing ugly, but it's so widespread that when you try to make something sound natural, you're accused of "troll translations". People are just too used to it.
>>
File: 1486669025225.png (419KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1486669025225.png
419KB, 564x564px
>>158798285
>>
>>158798680
"This new face cream is amazing! Just use it once a day and watch the years come off. I'm 50, but I look 35!"

"When my daughter said she wanted to study overseas, my heart almost stopped. I think it must have taken 20 years off my life."

Like that.
>>
File: 426.jpg (8KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
426.jpg
8KB, 318x159px
>>158790605
>When your rationalization for dropping a smutty girl prison manga is longer than the Gettysburg Address, Hamlet’s fourth soliloquy, and Bismarck's Blood and Iron speech combined
>>
>>158798730
I always figured that sounding natural is the whole bonus of stuff getting translated by a native English speaker
>>
>>158798730
I want to strangle every stupid fucking ESLfag who says that 1:1 dictionary translations are faithful. Making the authors characters sounds like autistic retards is not faithful to the original script. No one fucking says things like "Even if you were to say such a thing as that to me..." in English. I blame the meme cartel for their use of "we want to match tone" as an excuse for shitty memes.
>>
>>158797223
Hachimitsu is a scan group FOR trap manga and similar.
>>
I don't understand such autism. Scanning and translation is something somewhat valuable. Not worth putting on a resume, but if you want to keep doing it with other groups it's worth it to not have a horrible reputation

This just looks extremely stupid and petty.
>>
>>158796495
if you have raws for a mango you like you can absolutely just post a livetranslate thread and some random fucker will typeset it
basic photoshop skills are a hell of a lot more common than basic Japanese language skills on the English internet
>>
>>158798730
>but it's so widespread that when you try to make something sound natural, you're accused of "troll translations"
That's actually happened to me before. People here legitimately think transliterating is how you're supposed to do it. Look at any professionally done work and it's all entirely localised--I tell people this and they just respond 'No they don't, it's the opposite!'. How do you respond to that? It's like someone saying 'No you're wrong, the sky's actually neon green!' Just flat-out wrong and they refuse to see the truth.
>>
>>158798802
I guess the definition of "natural" varies, depending on the quality of translations you're used to.

>>158798809
>>158798884
It's happened to all of us, hasn't it?
>>
>>158798884
>entirely localized
Easy on the jelly donuts there, Herkz. Watch a foreign film with subtitles. The subs will be in natural sounding English, but it'll still match what's actually being said and discussed.
>>
You dumb fucking shits do realize that scanlation is pretty much dead these days and a series being dropped, even a popular series, is in no way a guarantee that anyone will pick it up, right?
>>
>>158798767
Watch it go down in history and into the canon of literature.
>>
>>158798730
Other translator who sucks at editing here, agree completely. Typesetters have the most thankless boring slave job imaginable.
>>
>>158798934
To illustrate a point, I once took a random line of Japanese, translated it into shitty ESL literal English, meme English and finally proper English that matched tone and verbiage. The ESLfags told me that the broken 1:1 English was the most faithful to the moon.
>>
>>158797619
>took down the raws
how does a scanlation group do this?
i now realize I have no clue how people get and distribute raws
>>
>>158798809
It's not just ESL. I fell for it, and I think anyone is prone to thinking it's ideal at least once. If taking liberties gets you the disgusting "rub a dub, thanks for the grub", taking the opposite approach by being extremely literal must be better /s.

Enough exposure to professional translations will break people out of that dark phase.
>>
>>158798963
More reason to learn Japanese.
>>
>>158790605
The guys doing death march are pretty cancerous too. Their typesetter is doing retarded jokes on every page, it has made me drop that shitty manga.
>>
>>158799012
They're not wrong. It doesn't mean it's necessarily the best translation though.
>>
>>158798934
Well I mean, when you're translating from Japanese or Korean like I do, then the word order is already completely different. You're already spending time thinking out how to arrange it to sound right, why would you just half-ass it?
>>
>>158790605
Whew, what an obnoxious piece.
>>
>>158798963
And? Im learning nip and I dont want to read manga scanlated by faggots anyway.
>>
>>158799081
They are absolutely wrong. If someone speaks in normal Japanese, and you translate it into retarded sounding English, then it's not a faithful translation.
>>
>>158798963
That's why being a EOP sucks.
>>
File: 1397882882833.jpg (64KB, 664x592px) Image search: [Google]
1397882882833.jpg
64KB, 664x592px
Learning moon was the best decision I've ever made, and it's not just about being able to read raws. I can't imagine what my life would be like without it.
Stop being a filthy EOP already.
>>
the translation should only be shitty broken and literal is when they are depicting chinese people in
>>
>>158799289
but have you considered that im a useless neet who wastes all his time on anime
if i had the motivation to do or accomplish something i would get a job instead of using it to learn nip
>>
>>158790605
>put dumb tl "le funny tier" notes no one cares about
>some person nice enough to waste his time, edit them out and upload it for everyone
>HURR DURR FUCK YOU DERP
Fucking retards.
Also
>caring about comments on cancer sites
>>
>>158799353
If youre serious about describing as yourself as a neet with an anime addiction, you should have some motivation to learn. Its the native language of the one interest you have, unless youre going through a phase, will continue to have.
>>
>>158790605

I'm a scanlator. Fuck these assholes. None of them are probably over the age of 18. There's some sort of retarded mentality that they have that screams "We think we're important." They aren't. None of us are. Scanlation is a fucking hobby. If you scanlate to be popular, you're doing it for the wrong fucking reasons. If you leave translation notes that have nothing to do with translation, you are doing it wrong. You are saying "I am better than this author, so I'm going to put my jokes on top of their work."

These little piss babies tried to act tough and got shit on.
>>
>>158799353
>who wastes all his time on anime
This is the best reason ever to learn nip. Do you even know how much it boosts your enjoyment? It opens a whole new world of things to like about your chinese cartoons.
I also waste all my time on anime and manga. That's why I learned it, so I could get as much enjoyment out of my shitty escapism hobby as possible.
>>
>>158799353
If you learn Japanese, you can waste even more of your time on anime.
>>
>>158799040
It was that they had the raws and they originally posted the raws and the translations. They're not stopping people from scanning it again, but it wasn't a very popular series and every site (including their own) still says they're scanlating it.
>>
>>158793420
>you have no right to bitch about the notes
I do. Fuck off Wraith.
>>
>>158798387
Absolutely, the main argument was with a guy on batoto. One guy, but he btfo them by putting his money where his mouth is and actually editing all their notes out.
>>
>>158798387

Nah man, most of us just do our work. It's a hobby. Anyone who craves the drama often times has an ego to match.
>>
File: Capture.png (58KB, 813x578px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
58KB, 813x578px
My hero.
>>
>>158799227
They're right in that literal translations provide the best translation of the original's words, but they're wrong in that translating the words is insufficient to translate the sentence.
>>
File: montage-ecce-homo-borja[1].jpg (518KB, 1000x581px) Image search: [Google]
montage-ecce-homo-borja[1].jpg
518KB, 1000x581px
For anyone who says "lel fug u i liek funny commtns" remember, this is the art equivalent of what they were doing.
>>
>>158790605
>resizing by random percentages
>implying it's difficult to just resize by resolution and remove the meme notes
>>
>>158799470
For them it was never about the manga, they just wanted an outlet to go on a power trip.
>>
File: youkai shoujo 10.jpg (82KB, 491x700px) Image search: [Google]
youkai shoujo 10.jpg
82KB, 491x700px
Just a heads up to see if anyone wants to pick up translating Youkai Shoujo, it's pretty much a second Tsugumomo with the lewd and the youkai and the main heroine dying[./spoiler] I would do it except holy fuck those Japanese mythology references. As I understand it LetItGo just needs a translator and every other position is set and ready to go.
>>
>>158790605
So they dropped some shit series that they didn't like anyway and just used some fags who were getting mad at them as an excuse
What's the problem here
>>
>>158799873

From what I'm reading they never wanted to do it in the first place. Which begs the question: "Why the FUCK would you pick up a WEEKLY series if you don't like it?!" I work on a weekly series and it's hard enough because I actually enjoy it.
>>
>>158799838
Faithful was the operant word. Faithful translating involves more than looking up words in a dictionary and swapping them, otherwise you end up turning あの高校に通っている少年 into "That high school commuting to boy." Stop taking about translating, as it's clear you don't understand it at all.

>>158799353
How can you not be excited about learning stuff about you're hobbies? I can't wrap my head around it.
>>
>>158799907
>letitgo

nah m8 ill wait for sevenseas
>>
>>158798240
especially since digital release its easier than ever
>>
>>158799850
What a fisasco.
The Fresco already needed retouching on the left side, i'm sure even the cataract riddled old lady they got could have not fucked it up enough.
>>
>>158799963
I'm only noting how there's a logic - however unfaithful, impractical, distorting, etc. - to that approach. No need to get on a high horse.
>>
>>158799970
Skeleton.jpg
>>
>>158799932
They worked on the author's previous work to completion, and that also had their same shitty notes. They are just a group of faggots that got pushed over the edge by a random guy on the internet
>>
>>158799963
That guy (>>158800143) is agreeing with you and you're acting elitist and shitting on him. We're both on your side and you're like this, can you understand why some people can't stomach it when this argument is made in some threads?

I translate quite liberally sometimes but it's important to understand how wording things differently will affect the interpretation. Sometimes it's impossible and a non-ideal sentence grammar wise will have to be used. This is not an issue of absolutes, only siths deal in those, it's about how well we as translators understand both original author intent and how the English sentence will be interpreted.
>>
>>158799907
>spoiler
fug
>>158799970
>seven seas
double fug
It's nice that it's going to at least have a consistent release, but I would rather pretend it got axed than wait 5+ years to find out what happens next.
>>
>>158800143
There isn't an argument to be made for it at all. It's literally doing it wrong because you don't actually know English and don't understand how what you're reading is wrong. How is translating grammatically correct Japanese into grammatically incorrect English faithful?

>>158800272
He's not agreeing at all. He's literally saying "There's an argument to be made for doing this completely wrong."
>>
>>158800338
>spoiler
She gets better.
>>
>>158800363
FUCKING. No, he's saying you're right but there's a reason some people want to do it the other way. He's saying there are benefits but the costs do not outweigh the benefits in most cases. Why do you have to be so autistically partisan on this? It's not a black and white issue.
>>
>>158800372
Why do spoiler boxes always lure me in, I didn't want to read rhat .
>>
>>158799907
>it's pretty much a second Tsugumomo
Did the MC's first kiss got stolen by some vagina lips? If not, then it has nothing on Tsugumomo.
>>
File: 20170612_093447.jpg (2MB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_093447.jpg
2MB, 1932x2576px
>not learning nip

top kek
>>
>>158800412
It is absolutely a black and white issue, you fucking moron. A 1:1 dictionary swap of words is an incorrect translation, and there's no argument to be made for it.
>>158799838
>They're right in that literal translations provide the best translation of the original's words
That it what he said, verbatim. Explain how that's not completely wrong. Did you even read the conversation or did you just jump in half way through like a retard?
>>
>>158799963
The problem is mostly that the meme cartel has pounded into people's heads that there are two ways to translate: Literal and liberal, where literal means "accurate" and liberal means "the translator understood what was said, then wrote something different that's just close enough it's not going to alter the very rough idea of what's going on".
>>
>>158800623
Oh they definitely ruined things for everyone. I mentioned it a few times already in this thread. The thing is that they actually suck at matching tone like they pretend to do, and lack any real creativity. They just shove in jokes that don't exist and invent ideas that aren't there in the text (but that they find funny) and then pat themselves on the back for being so creative.
>>
File: murderous spider.png (287KB, 898x1300px) Image search: [Google]
murderous spider.png
287KB, 898x1300px
>>158800421
How about this?
>>
File: 1422855642948.jpg (407KB, 1260x1782px) Image search: [Google]
1422855642948.jpg
407KB, 1260x1782px
>>158790605
>>
>>158800696
Thats no kiss to vagoo.
>>
>>158800548
Holy shit man, this is actual autism. Please know that not all scanlators are like this.
>>
>>158800623
He's not going to get it, he has in his head that it's a black and white issue, and that everything is classified into one of those two. Just, you're wasting your breath. I agree with you at least.
>>
>>158800696
>Ha Hii Ha Hii = Heavy breathing
>Stealthy Creepy Sneaky
Fucking why?
>>
>>158800488
Someday I'll learn it enough to read and understand, and then I'll quit everything and will be just consuming. I just need to find a good starting point. So far I memorized only kana but fail to sleep at first few pages of any book about grammar and shit. But someday...
>>
>>158800803
Not saying that was right but how would you translate Kosukosu?
>>
>>158800696
Best girl
>>
>>158800803
There is also phantom SFX like jolt and flip, and the first panel skipping the squeeze one.
>>
>>158800363
It isn't faithful when you see that the words are a medium for ideas. Novices don't see the forest for the trees and put the words before the ideas, believing that altering the words means altering the ideas. They're faithfully translating each word, but in doing so they unfaithfully distort the ideas.

>>158800739
I know, and I'm not angry. I've idiotically taken both extremes in the past, so I understand his outrage. I'll only get angry at people who don't use fitting file formats and colour spaces, or don't use leading zeroes.
>>
God Tier:
>Funny credits page, nothing else
>No TL Notes, credits page lets you know the chapter ended

Acceptable Tier:
>No TL Notes, no credits page

Shit Tier:
>Scanlator puts personal notes that are unrelated to the manga in the borders
>Credits page is before the actual chapter (only a problem if you read online)
>Scanlator notes in the panels because of pointless drama (examples in thread)
>Recruitment and Donation begging

I bet scanlators who do the above shit tier stuff use Internet Explorer without ad blocking tools.
>>
>>158795719
PickYerPoison had the raws and he would just layer the scans over them then erase the comments. It's like 5 minutes of work per chapter.
>>
>>158800872
If I really wanted to put something there, I'd just continue with the "rub rub rub rub" that they had in the previous panel.
>>
>>158800803
Why do japanese have weird onomatopeias for absolutely everything?
>>
>>158800803
>What should I do, huh?
>It's natural for the winner to get a prize, right?
>Something is getting rock-hard, isn't it?
This shit is fucking killing me.
>>
>>158800739
Answer the question. Look at the actual line he wrote and explain how it's not completely wrong. "I don't actually have a point, but I'm just now realizing this and want to save face so I'll call you autistic." doesn't answer the question. You jumped into the conversation, so back up the bullshit you're spewing.

>>158800787
You're aggressively fucking stupid. I made a distinction between all three styles of translation right here
>>158799012
Seriously, how much of this conversation did you actually read?
>>
File: 20170612_090701.jpg (2MB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_090701.jpg
2MB, 1932x2576px
>>158800814
ye keep going
>>
>>158800994
Meant to quote >>158800696
>>
>>158800963
You forgot the translator who explains every single joke and reference in the borders.
>>
>>158800956
>It isn't faithful
Right, which is exactly what I said, and the opposite of what he said.
>>
>>158800963
What about actual useful TL notes like at the end of Golden Kamuy chaps
>>
>>158800963
>LQ
>Credit page is blurry on purpose
I always chuckle
>>
>>158801016
Does she ever show her spider form again?
>>
>>158800872
They actually used http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/browse/koso_koso/ and put everything from there like a retards. In reality it would be fine to translate it as "rub".
>>
>>158801174
It's actually literal mistranslation.
こそ(koso) = sneak
こす(kosu) = rub
The entire page shows the translator(s) had no idea what they were doing.
>>
>>158791949
The important thing to remember is that these were NOT normal TL notes at all: they weren't clarifying puns or explaining a joke, the TL notes this group used were basically random comments about the page in question, about what you'd expect to get tossed around in an IRC channel.

All in all it was very unprofessional. Imagine if you got a book from a library and the last person to use it had written shitty comments in the margin of the pages. "Lel why is this guy so serious? XD" - Shit like this during a tense moment, or "boobies :^)" in an ecchi page. I expect that kind of shit from teens on twitter, not scanlator groups abusing TL notes to insert their 'le funny banter'.
>>
>>158790605
Good riddance, faggots. I don't even know who you are, but from what I've heard, they're right cock-ups.
>>
>>158790605
tl;dr
looks like Asperger's to me
>>
File: 2[1].jpg (329KB, 870x2175px) Image search: [Google]
2[1].jpg
329KB, 870x2175px
what the fuck is this?
>>
>>158801095
The "he" is me, whom you're replying to.

You seem confused about what I meant. I'll change the phrasing and see if that makes it clearer:
>While literal translations provide the best translation of the original's words, they're a poor translation of the sentence.

The distinction I was making - clearly not well enough - was between translated words and translated sentences. A word can be translated more faithfully as a word, but less faithfully as part of a sentence. That's the same idea as the "forest and trees".
>>
>>158793623
There were even people defending them! Several people on their forums said how much they loved the 'witty' and 'entertaining' comments. Talk about a brown-noser.
>>
>>158801429
See
>>158801368
>>
>>158801429
A misplaced sense of self-importance.
>>
>>158801463
Show me a single book or lesson about translation that talks about translating individual words when translating a story. That's absolutely retarded, why would you even consider making that distinction when talking about translation?
>>
>ITT; DJT memeing their shitty language even after being BFTO to /int/ and /jp/
Fuck off faggots.
>>
>>158801630
>Subhuman ESL monkey thinks he matters
Shoo
>>
>>158801696
From my point of view you unironic weebs are the subhumans.
>>
Excuse me, are you telling me that the reason half of the manga I read using my mad ESL skillz gives me a headache is because of shitty translations and not English being a terrible, inhumane language? Well, tht explains a lot!
>>
>>158801865
Yes. As a native English speaker, reading translations literally give me a headache after 5 minutes.
>>
>>158801808
I'm not the kind of person that expects people to go out of their way to express gratitude for scanlations, but I find it bizarre that anyone would feel outright derision for scanlators.
Bullshit drama doesn't deserve your respect, but are you actually taking issue in general with the people that translate manga for the community?
>>
>>158801578
Because novices are fixated on the words. They likely didn't get proper instruction, and believe that learning a language means learning how to turn one word into another.

Making the distinction between words and sentences changes the novice paradigm so they see how their technical correctness creates practical incorrectness.
>>
>>158801808
That's okay, you enjoy Japanese media but are too stops to learn the language, so you rely on shitty translations to come shitpost on an English language imageboard. You're retarded, so whatever you think doesn't actually matter.
>>
>>158802017
>An argument can be made for this method being accurate, even though we know this method is objectively incorrect
>Some people are stupid enough to think it's correct, so the idea should be entertained
But why?
>>
>>158801497
>I only read this because of the notes
Those people are cancer, and it seems the death toll staff is "liking" any post like this to stroke their own egos.
>>
They attract and cultivate people who think they are as important as the anime creators. Similar to why game modders are often some of the most insufferable and self-important people on the planet.
>>
File: 1473443876621.jpg (163KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473443876621.jpg
163KB, 1280x960px
>>158802031
>too stops to learn the language
Let's be real here: Japanese is literally one of the most backwards, needlessly obtuse languages in the world. You take the godawful pictograms from hanzi, drop all the phonemes that make the Chinese language work, and then call your terribly restricted vocabulary nuanced and profound. It's shit.
>>
>>158798809
>I want to strangle every stupid fucking ESLfag who says that 1:1 dictionary translations are faithful.
Why would you even think that every ESL is like that? It's not like we've never been taught the basic guidelines for translating from/to a different language. 1:1 is considered retarded even if English is not your first language.
>>
>>158790605
only people who wants to do scanlation shit are either memers or god damn vampires that are out for your blood and want to fuck the world.
>>
>>158802269
>god damn vampires that want to fuck the world
Oh shit, we've been found out
>>
>>158802208
It's a horrible language for conveying information. I live and work in Tokyo, believe me I know. That doesn't change the fact that they make our cartoons, comics and games.
>>
>>158802208
Wut? It's pretty straightforward. It's grammar is easy and you don't have to know all the standard kanji to speak it. In comparison with Russian or German it's not that hard.
>>
>>158802220
Have you ever spent more than 5 minutes in a manga or LN thread discussing translations with other ESLfags?
>>
>>158802208
That's not to say I'd prefer the Chinese phonemes though, tonal languages sound absolutely awful. Complete ear-rape
>>
>>158802208
>Japanese is literally one of the most backwards, needlessly obtuse languages in the world.
I get that you're salty about being lazy, but excuses are just sad, and everyone can see right through you.
>>
>>158795041
I guess personal notes are a "flavor" thing that makes this better somehow?
>>
>>158802348
No, but why would I care about their opinion? They probably don't know shit neither about English, nor Japanese.
>>
>>158801808
I'll take an unironic weeb over an ironic weeb any day of the week, bro
>>
>>158801927
>DJT = Scanlators
You lost me.
>>
>>158802401
Congratulations, you're the good apple in the bunch. That doesn't change what the other 99.9% thinks, which earned ESLfags their reputation.
>>
>>158802315
And that's fine. Just don't try to talk like Japanese is a superior language and stupid gaijin can't comprehend your nip gibberish.
>>
>>158802392
Whether someone is too lazy to learn it or not, that is still an accurate descriptor of the language. Even people who speak Japanese will tell you so
>>
>>158802447
It's not a superior language, but if you spend a million hours consuming Japanese media but don't learn Japanese, then you're indeed an idiot.
>>
>>158802208
>drop all the phonemes that make the Chinese language work
What exactly to you mean by this? Are you talking about the fact that Japanese lacking Chinese phonemes resulted in originally distinct Chinese words having identical Japanese pronunciations?

>>158802341
>In comparison with Russian or German it's not that hard.
Those languages are university considered easier to learn than Japanese.
>>
>>158799907
>spoiler
The black haired chick or the neck one?
>>
>>158802440
They're probably kids. Kids are retarded no matter what language they speak. Though I wouldn't understand how can anyone speak a second language whithout adjusting the phrasing at all. Like, I was taught it in grade one or something.
>>
>>158802528
I can't believe Rokka is fucking dead.
>>
>>158802464
>but if you spend a million hours consuming Japanese media but don't learn Japanese
Hai, Watashi wa no Anon desu, dostedt? There I learn the stupid language.
>>
>>158791379
Why does this bother people?

Seems if you don't like a translator's style you should learn the language and translate on your own. Beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>158802495
>Those languages are university considered easier to learn than Japanese.
Have you tried them? I'd rather study 4k kanji's than all of those fucking German cases.
>>
>>158802315
is it the language that causes communication problems or the shitty culture
>>
File: 1467407521122.png (796KB, 849x4885px) Image search: [Google]
1467407521122.png
796KB, 849x4885px
>>158798963
>scanlation is pretty much dead these days
>>
People don't like being shat on?
Shocking.
>>
>>158802537
Don't ask me man, that's just what the say. And yes, people that actually read source material (or rather the machine translations they pretend are source material) for isekai and battle academy haremshit are probably kids.

>>158802561
日本語は上手いな
>>
File: 1496680058400.png (48KB, 471x224px) Image search: [Google]
1496680058400.png
48KB, 471x224px
>>158802607
>not wanting to get shat on
baka vanillafag
>>
>>158802564
Except for that begger who edited the notes out, now he is a chosen chooser.
>>
>>158802607
>People
>>
>>158802583
Absolutely the language. Go put こうか into a dictionary and let me know what you get. Don't even get me started on science and math terms; all of the fucking words sound the same.
>>
>>158798809
>I want to strangle every stupid fucking ESLfag who says that 1:1 dictionary translations are faithfu

I want to know an ESLfag who actually thinks this
Interpreter here, getting meaning across is what is important.
>>
>>158802461
It's different, not backwards, monkey. Kanji were a perfectly reasonable choice for the language they'd created, and there's nothing needless about its design. Christ, you must be an idiot if you think language is ever needless. Anything without use is quickly dropped over the decades, people are always looking for shortcuts that still remain intelligible.
>>
>>158802694
>science is かがく
>chemistry is かがく
Fuck you Japan.
>>
>>158802697
See
>>158802348
>>
>>158802694
>こうか
Made me kek
>>
>>158802694
How does one say "holy shit you're fucking retarded" in japanese?
>>
>>158802597

Hey I'm on that list~
>>
>>158793366
so much this
>>
>>158802565
You might personally like the like of infliction on nouns, but over the totality of the language, a English speaker with zero knowledge of any Japanese or German would pick up German much more easily to a fluent level.
>>
>>158802725
You just call them 池沼くんand then type a bunch of w's.
>>
>>158802730
Notthanks for chimamire

>>158802774
池沼くんwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>158802702
Man, it was reasonable, but only because they had no alternative. The mishmash of different time period's kanji's, their onyomi, japanese kunyomi, writing simplification and all that history of manyogana turning into hiragana and katakana is a complete linguistic shitfest.
>>
>>158802725
参ったなあ、この人がトンでもないアホ過ぎる。
>>
>people hate literal chinese cartoons and shit on the threads
>then proceeds to learn moonrunes which require you to learn chinkrunes to master said moonrunes
Pottery.
>>
>>158802815
Browse 2 years before posting.
>>
>>158802831
It's my 5th year friendo.
>>
>>158790605
So lets get this straight. You faggots bitch endlessly that you dont like a translators job. They quit their job. And you bitch more.
>>
>>158802815
>being Chinese
I'd say I'm sorry, but at least you're rich. Don't spend all of daddy's money on shitposts.

>>158802846
And a redditor, huh?
>>
All this started when the scanlator tried to shift the focus to themselves rather than the project their are working on. That's always a problem most groups commit.
You almost never have to say that you're a group that scanlates shit to your readers. (This thing is only done so that people won't take undue credit, but assholes gonna ass.) What's important is the shit you scanlate.
>>
>>158802725
全く、お前は本当にとんでもない気違いなヤツだな。
>>
>>158797169
>he doesnt watch in 7p, with 8bit sound and a txt file with the subtitles
>>
>>158802800
If only they had created their own intuitive all purpose runes like based Sejong
>>
>>158802846
You still didn't do it. Pay the fucking toll already and contribute meaningful posts in two years.
>>
>>158802871
Careful with that projector, buddy. You could blind someone with that.
>>
>>158802885
This >>158802815 is not meaningful to you? Or is it because you can't refute that statement you're going full damage control here?
>>
>>158802902
Are you just posting buzzwords and memes now that you've picked up in the past 5 years? Learn what things mean before you repeat them, ask your English teacher or use Google if you can get past the firewall.
>>
>>158790605
What the fuck is scanlation etiquette?
If I think your translation is shit, I'm going to translate over your shit.
Fucking deal with it.
>>
>>158802934
You are dragging your lost arguments into unrelated threads. Leave behind the shit mentality you've picked up elsewhere and learn how this site functions.
>>
>>158802791

Nope.
>>
>>158802762
German might be a bad example, but Russian would probably be much more counter-intuitive in the grammar department alone than Japanese will ever manage to be.
>>
>>158798847
But that other guy wasn't a trap until way into the story
>>
File: 1322350165509.jpg (44KB, 392x500px) Image search: [Google]
1322350165509.jpg
44KB, 392x500px
>>158801429
>>
>>158802966
>doesnt know about etiquette
nigga its about mutual respect. Its like you are a faggot who thinks he can win against a labor union.
>>
>>158802791
Too many w's.
>>
>>158803039
There's no honor among mostly underage and retarded thieves.
>>
>>158803006
Hachimitsu didn't pick Moyashimon up until this year.
He was shown crossdressing in the anime ages ago.
>>
>>158803039
Uh oh guys, look like we've got a cleaner over here!

Careful you don't hurt yourself little buddy, I don't know how your group could live without you.
>>
>>158803039
>mutual respect
>```groups'''
This is why I'm a rogue translator.
Post translations on /a/, let people do whatever the fuck they want with them.

MIT was right. ``ownership'' ruins everything and only bred Stallman-tier autism
>>
>>158801429
Why does he say "edition department" when he means "editing department"?
>>
>>158802969
>lost arguments
All I did was point out the obvious, anon.
>>158802955
From my experience only r edditors get butthurt over buzzwords. So fuck off back there.
>>
>>158803106
Again, more stock phrases. Come on man, just this once, try your best and formulate an idea yourself instead of just horribly misusing ones you've seen before.

I promise I won't laugh too hard at your broken English.
>>
>>158798697
5 is a bit harsh, isn't it? I can think of a few more that do good work and that's from memory alone so I might be missing a lot of groups.
One Snowshoe, Golden Roze, Hox, Happy Scans, Hokuto, Illuminati, i7, Lovely Strange Dark, Megchan, laika, Habanero.
>>
>>158803106
If it's obvious it doesn't need to be pointed out.
>From my experience
Like this.
>>
>>158803039
Are you perhaps a Swede?
>>
>>158802712
ばけがく
>>
>>158803158
Half that list is dogshit, the rest is mediocre to average. Having a competent editor is not the same as having a good translator.
>>
>>158803096
You're supposed to find people on /a/, exchange throwaway emails and then work together.

>>158803158
I have friends who know what they're doing in 2 groups. I assumed there were maybe 3 more. I don't actually read scanlations or care about the awful community so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>158803214
Which ones do you think are dogshit and why?
>>
>>158793623
>>158790605
I can't be assed reading this but you should at least credit a group if you're going to rip their shit and upload it. If someone is doing a good job TL/scanlating a series you like you should probably donate to them or help them anyway.
>>
>>158803158
Hox and Kalendel are my inspiration for scanlating.

>>158803283
>donate to them
Nah
>>
>>158803283
Any group that takes donations is fucking scum.
>>
>>158803283
>you should probably donate to them
Kill yourself, you pathetic waste of life.

The idea of you braindead kids sending these retards 5 bucks a month while the author struggles to make rent makes me want to rip out your throat.
>>
>>158803249
I can't be assed to do all that shit man
>>
>>158803313
>>158803334
>>158803346
Hopefully you people are pretending to be retarded. Donating/supplying raws/helping groups is literally what gets more releases out. Even if I can read nip I still help groups that do quality releases.
>watch or read something obscure
>nobody, even on /a/, to discuss something with
I'm not talking about groups mentioned in this thread specifically, and I'm not talking about supporting some NEET for translating some shit harem manga.
>>
>>158790605
Imagine doing it for free and then taking chinese softcore porn books this serious.
>>
>>158802730
Me too!
>>
>>158803381
If you want good work done and want to do any long projects, it's the only way.

>>158803386
Eat shit and die, you fucking faggot. I pay for raws I use myself. If anyone even asks about donations I tell them to go but the original work. You're a piece of shit and I hope you get raped by a chimp with AIDS.
>>
Since this thread is just shitposting anyway, someone go help this https://desuarchive.org/a/thread/157706519/#157714412
All of the episodes are timed/subbed already they just need someone to TL check.
>>
>>158803386
>Donating/supplying raws/helping groups is literally what gets more releases out.
Imagine being stupid enough to actually fall for this shit.

I totally understand groups baiting for this shit because it's free money, but man, anyone who actually pays them is absolute pond scum.
>>
>>158803458
>>158803488
>reddit spacing
>being mad over literally nothing
What are you even posting for? I don't even get why you'd be mad or who you think I am.
>send BD to a group
>they do a release
>they send the BD back
>there is somehow something wrong with this because I still own the BD
>or the manga
>or the LN
>>
>>158803525
Kill yourself, your piece of shit. I sincerely hope your a cartel shill trying to keep you jew money rolling in and not actually this retarded.
>>
>>158803561
Fuck the cartel, you retard. You have no argument against giving $5 to a good release group and still purchasing raws. Imagine being this unironically autistic.
>>
>>158803586
>You have no argument against giving $5 to a good release group and still purchasing raws
You could have bought 2 copies of the raws instead.
>>
>>158803627
>$5 raws
Do you think seedboxes/IRC bots are free?
>>
>>158803586
>You have no argument against giving money to thieves profiting from other people's work
Go fellate a shotgun.
>>
>>158803655
>profiting
Thanks for confirming you have no clue what you're talking about. I already said I wouldn't support a group to pay their rent. Kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>158803648
>We're hard at work stealing things for you, so fuck the author and give US money!
Any adult can afford $15 a month for a seedbox and the nominal price of raws. If you're a child, then your translations suck anyways so it doesn't matter. Now fuck off back to your shit group's IRC channel.
>>
>>158803687
>They said they're using the money only for scanlation stuff so it's okay!
Seriously, kill yourself. Your life is devoid of meaning and helps no one.
>>
>>158803648
Do you think seedboxes have no other possible use than sharing releases, or that an IRC bot can't be set up in 20 minutes using any outdated laptop you have lying around?

>>158803687
Except that's literally what you're doing. If you didn't pay for whatever bullshit reason they came up with, who would be paying for it? They would, out of their rent money. All you're really doing is paying for their rent.
>>
>>158803693
I don't release anything you monkey. You obviously don't understand what you're arguing.
>>
>We don't care about the series
>But we owe it to the requests of readers
I'm just honestly questioning why they'd go through the effort of adding notes in the margins that detract from the reading experience. Caring about readers while not caring about a series doesn't equate to giving readers their next meal, then promptly shitting in their mouth.

>>158803386
The thing about donating to groups doesn't actually guarantee your money is actually going towards the translation of manga. At least the guy who's "taking care of his sick mom" is at least letting you know he's pocketing the money for living expenses instead of pretending it's for buying RAWs that they would have bought anyways.
>>158803586
There's absolutely no need to support scanlators financially. Other than RAWs, which are usually not expensive and should be bought to support the original author of the work, everything is doable for little to no cost, which shouldn't need donations in the first place.
>>
>>158797472
Laruffi is that you?
>>
>>158803721
>I-I'm not a shitty scanlator begging for money
>I'm a totally neutral third party who just thinks it's a good idea to give them money!
Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>158803723
>There's absolutely no need to support scanlators financially. Other than RAWs,
There are plenty of groups that have done fundraisers for BDs, which are raw and then released with subs. Look at how expensive the Yawara BDs are currently.
>>
File: Tiny Legs Gundam.jpg (51KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
Tiny Legs Gundam.jpg
51KB, 500x402px
>Satanophany

Is it good or something?
>>
>>158804031
no, its shit
>>
File: 1473189074829.png (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473189074829.png
168KB, 400x400px
>>158803525
>reddit spacing
Quit using this term wrong, newfaggot.
>>
>>158804089
both of those posts are reddit spacing. lurk for 2 years before posting
>>
File: 1473099706361.jpg (81KB, 746x691px) Image search: [Google]
1473099706361.jpg
81KB, 746x691px
>>158804138
Been here for a decade, so long as we're dickwaving. Go be a newfaggot somewhere else.
>>
>>158803787
I was specifically speaking on manga, in which the costs are not high, making it easier for scanlation groups to make off with the money they've raised/received/whatever, which covers much more than the cost of the actual manga, or they already bought/would've been able to buy with their own money.
For BDs, it's somewhat the same deal, but the difference is the pricepoint.
In my opinion, the financial burden should be the subber's/scanlator's own, unless it's beyond the norm (ie $900 collector's items, but this is still suspect), as consumers of the product (god forbid there are people actually do this, I know there are some, but not many) should put the money towards purchasing their own copy before purchasing it for the sake of having it translated.
In the end, for both manga and anime, it boils down to the group and whether or not they're pocketing money they shouldn't be making.
>>
>>158802725

I think a Jap chan denizen would say something like:

おまえはくそほどガイジだぞ
>>
>>158804138
Reddit spacing is line breaking in between single sentences as if they were new paragraphs, not line breaking in between separate post quotes. Newfags pretending to be oldfags is disgusting, and every one of your posts has been complete garbage. Fuck off back to wherever you came from.
>>
>>158804248
no, both of those posts linked are reddit spacing.
>>
>>158804031
It's a women in Prison Manga. It's not terrible, but doesn't stand out either. But hey, I really enjoy it and hope a new TL team takes it over soon.
>>
>>158790605
Summary:
>scanlation group drops manga because another group picked it up.

I'm impressed how he could write a 1000 word essay about that.
>>
>>158804295
No, /a/ has never had issue with line breaks between quotes. We do, however, shit on idiots too stupid to find their shift key. Or rather we used to. This place is overrun with retards like you.
>>
>>158804400
>we
lurk for 2 years before posting. blatant newshits like you should stop pretending to fit in.
>>
>>158804400
plebbitor pls
>>
Oh my god calling each other redditors is accomplishing nothing. All it does is make you look like idiots.
>>
>>158804535
>Oh my god
Maybe retards should stop pretending to have lurked and get back to lurking like they're supposed to.
>>
>>158790605
>What's the deal with scanlation groups?
They're all egotistical drama queens.
>>
>>158804437
>Newfag still pretending he isn't a newfag
You probably haven't even been here longer than captcha. Stop pretending.
>>
>>158804600

Christ. I've been here since before /jp/. Since Waha was a meme. I'm not going to engage you in this fight. You need to calm the hell down.
>>
>>158790605
Death Toll scans is on my shit list. I hope nobody sane would follow them.
>>
>>158790605
They lost against cock !?
>>
>getting mad because the people that didn't have to give you anything are giving you something, but not the way you wanted it
Sasuga, /a/-san.
>>
>>158804752
I was following them just for Satanofani. Fortunately I don't have to bother anymore.
>>
>>158798884
It kind of has a cultural foundation when it comes to translations in asia, since their companies always tell some useless guy to take a dictionary and check the translations for accuracy (or used to at least). It's why manuals for products from china/japan always sound like gibberish.
>>
>>158804814
>someone else does something for free, so you can't complain
t. Janny
>>
>>158805155
>t.
>google image
kill yourself, retard
>>
File: Found on Tumblr or Reddit.png (232KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
Found on Tumblr or Reddit.png
232KB, 450x500px
>>158805179
>>158805155
>>
>>158790605
This is why I'm glad I learned Japanese.

No more dealing with insufferable faggots and their incompetent translations. Seriously, once you learn, it's pathetic how little Japanese these scanlation groups know, I've had to re-read a lot of series to get back the original experience.
>>
>>158804814
>defending people peepees when you can shit on them for being little bitches
How about you go back to whatever shithole you crawled out of retard
>>
>>158804814
So you are saying people shouldn't complain about getting the pizza they wanted when they didn't pay for it? Even if said pizza has shit on it? We should just take it and love it?

Yea, fuck that.
>>
faggots
>>
File: 1493659127833.jpg (64KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1493659127833.jpg
64KB, 576x432px
>>158802670
>>
File: img000008.gif (411KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000008.gif
411KB, 848x1200px
>>158793623
Were they as bad as the notes in the last few Lotte no Omocha chapters?
>>
>>158797472
>the apply
>>
>>158805591
I have no fucking words
>>
>>158805345
The pizza doesn't have shit on it, you just don't like how it tastes. And yet you go back to the parlor, day after day, take the same -free- pizza, and then complain about the flavor. You don't go to a different store, you don't make your own pizza, oh no, like the welfare queen you are you bitch and moan that the gibs you're getting aren't good enough.
>>
File: p.jpg (3MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
3MB, 2550x3300px
>autistic screeching over comments in the margin
>meanwhile this is allowed and even encouraged by you faggots
>>
File: konjiki-no-gash-183028.png (205KB, 916x1400px) Image search: [Google]
konjiki-no-gash-183028.png
205KB, 916x1400px
Reminder
>>
>>158802978
>Russian would probably be much more counter-intuitive in the grammar department alone than Japanese will ever manage to be.
Wut? I'll fight you cyka blyat.
>>
>>158805635
>The pizza doesn't have shit on it,
Yes it does. Taste would simply be phrasing of a translation.
If it was just small TL notes, I'd considering it unnecessary toppings, mildly annoying, but I'll deal with it.
But filling the chapter with comments you'd find in a youtube comments section is shit.
>>
>>158803076
mate this underage retards are providing a free product yet all you can do is insult them. Think about that.
>>158803096
>being a lone wolf because respect is too hard for you
I can feel the edge
>>
>>158805667
You do know they have a commentless version as well right?
>>
>>158805667

i don't encourage that shit. i sort of assume that whitepod guy is like 15. he goes all out on those extra pages and likes to spam comments fucking everywhere in the margins but at least they don't do it over the actual artwork.

also elves and catgirls are MADE for isekai enslavement magic
>>
Someone explain to me why you retards would chase away a translator for a series you enjoy. This isnt GG tier indecipherable (I hate that most of A doesnt even know who they are). The scans are fine with a tongue in cheek in the margins you dont even have to look at.
>>
>>158805884
Gamergate was fine though.
>>
>>158805884
I chased away some literal shit-tier scanlators for works i enjoyed just by giving them qc
>>
>>158805895
Why would a grass roots movement to uphold journalistic ethics not be fine tho?
>>
>>158805785
I know Japanese, so I don't need them. I translate anime and manga, and pay for it all. Yes, I'm absolutely going to insult a bunch of stupid kids doing a shitty job at translating and then asking for money to steal other people's work. Fuck them.
>>
Confession: every once in a while, I'll search for my group's name in the /a/rchive and then be slightly relieved that there wasn't anyone shit talking my releases.
>>
>>158805927
You probably complained and harrassed them a shit ton before doing so as an added bonus.
>>
>>158805884
>The scans are fine with a tongue in cheek in the margins you dont even have to look at.
They started doing it inside the margins though.
>>
>>158805960
what group anon
>>
>>158805960
thats gay as fauck
>>
>>158799289
I'd love to learn Jap but I already have like 2 other languages to learn before then.
>>
>>158805785
It's a two way street, if you want to do stupid shit on the internet, then you have to face the fact that people will call you out on your stupidity. You can try and shift the blame all you like, but it's not going to change things. People didn't randomly start shit up for shits and giggle; no smoke without fire and all that. Also, just because the other party is in the wrong doesn't mean the former is in the right.
>>
>>158799289
Go do this then >>158803478
>>
>>158805884
They chased themselves, because people edited their shit comments out on some online site.
In case of /v/ it would be worse than NISA translation with redditor and tumbler comments all over the place,
>>
>>158805964
Still no where near the level to complain about. Unless they are making the actual context and relevant information illegible by fucking with the translations I dont see the problem. Only thing i noticed is the feminist tears on the coffee cup.
>>
>>158805990
Where the fuck do you think we are, anon-kun?

>>158805977
NORWAY
>>
>>158805961
No, i even offered to help proofread, but he didn't want to put in the extra effort so he quit instead
>>
>>158805765
Alright, let's say it's shit. It's still free shit that you didn't have to eat. If you're browsing Deviantart and find a parody of your favorite Naruto character, do you then flame the artist for poking fun at Sasuke?
>>
>>158806039
But your group unironically sucks at translating.
>>
>>158806078
No(r)way!
>>
>>158806039
literally fucking who
>>
>>158806061
I can complain about whatever I want. It's the internet. Just like how you don't have to defend them but you do so anyway. Neither of us are obliged to or forbidden from doing anything. Deal with it.
>>
>>158806039
>NORWAY
I hate them. Almost the same cancer as this one. And the have the same cancerous fanbase who enjoys their le epik maymays.
>>
>>158806039
Everyone shit on you though
>>
>>158806052
The thing about proofreading is that they'd have to be willing to listen to you in the first place. Think many groups out there will do that?
>>
>>158803723
>The thing about donating to groups doesn't actually guarantee your money is actually going towards the translation of manga. At least the guy who's "taking care of his sick mom" is at least letting you know he's pocketing the money for living expenses instead of pretending it's for buying RAWs that they would have bought anyways.
What retarded fucking logic. I don't give a shit what they spend that fucking money on, they continue to produce shit I like, I give them money, it's that fucking simple, same as every other fucking good and service that exists.

More money absolutely helps them do what they do, even if they were going to buy the raw anyway, they've basically been at least partially reimbursed for the purchase, lessening whatever financial burdens they have, and if they have none I give them financial incentive to continue doing what they do. If they stop producing stuff I like, I stop giving them money.
>>
>>158806039
Kill yourself retard you shit is always redit tier cringeworthy.
>>
>>158806129
Pretty true, lots of people applying for scanlation groups quit the second it gets to qc. People think they can just shit out minimum effort paint edits with machine translations and everyone will applaud them for it
>>
>>158791219
Why are fansubbers and manga scanlators so self-absorbed
>>
>>158806125
>>158806158
Wait, you genuinely thought I'm from Norway scans? Giving away my real group would have defeated the purpose of making the previous post to start with. Guess I should have said Mangstream since Norway is too subtle.
>>
The guy who used to do BNHA was a god-tier translator. Good margin notes for untranslateable puns and subtleties, and a good page of explanations on choices he made in the chapter.
>>
>>158806052
Why would anyone accept your help?
>>
>>158806061
>It's still free shit that you didn't have to eat.
No only do I not have to eat it, I can make my own. At least it would be mine.
Still, your example if wrong. First, I can complain as I want. Especially if said drawing is truly shit.
Second, It's more like they found a picture on Pixiv, translated it, then added their little comment to ON THE IMAGE. I didn't come here to read their thoughts on the matter, I came to read the translation. And then they get uppity because people don't like it and make it even worse. At which point, them stopping would be doing the world a favor.
>>
>>158806211
Why quit over the offer?
>>
>>158806138
Kill yourself.
>>
>>158806117
Yes, you can complain. And I can explain to you very carefully why it is childish of you to do so.
>>
>>158806129
Proofreading and quality control are all about objective errors and quality. If there's error or you missed/not done/done bad something but somehow missed, they have to point that out to you and then you fix it. Problem with most of those proofreaders and QC in all those credits is that they actually not doing anything at all, just rubber stamp and nod in approval of any bullshit. And that's if they even know what they supposed to do.
>>
>>158806138
>What retarded fucking logic. I don't give a shit what they spend that fucking money on, they continue to produce shit I like, I give them money, it's that fucking simple, same as every other fucking good and service that exists.
You aren't buying, you are donating. Too many people get that mixed up. Even the people who ask for donations.
>>
>>158806226
because you were probably annoying as fuck honestly
>>
>>158806253
And I can also point out that you're not any more mature for choosing to engage in this thread. Otherwise, you'd be off doing a bunch of other more productive shit. Yet here you are. Sorry mate, from the moment you choose to be part of this shit, you're no longer in the position to call others childish. Non-childish people won't be wasting time arguing about this shit.
>>
File: 1455387447551.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1455387447551.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
All that's ever wanted is a decent scan with a decent english TL, yet with practically every scanlation group they can never handle just that. It's always shit like this, retarded comments, shit tier "liberal" translations, barely legible scans or some kind of drama with other groups fighting over a title then bitching from everyone regardless of who picks it up. It's the same shit with cat sounds among others, use them as needed and don't bother getting involved with any of their forced drama. Better yet learn japanese. No excuse to not go the extra mile for a hobby you've spent so much time on and will continue to spend time on, unless you're an ironic weaboo trying to fit in to the special snowflake crowd.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (41KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
41KB, 554x439px
>>158806310
If one not even mean conversation is enough to send you over the edge you weren't ready to release things for the internet anyways
>>
>>158806364
>guy slaps some shit with a default font unformatted in broken english with paint onto a scan

>lol at least someone translates this, please be thankful :))
>>
>>158806303
Who said I was buying? I don't care what the fuck you call it it's the same damn thing as far as I'm concerned. Sure, there's some things that I wouldn't pay for if I had the choice, but for things which I genuinely like or feel they have a significant chance going under for whatever reason, I will absolutely give them money, whether or not they ask for it.
>>
>>158805927
>>158806052
>you do qc
>but won't do the tl check in this thread
>>
>>158806383
Its not their lost, its everyone who enjoyed the series but cant read japanese lost. Thanks for harassing the only people capable of bringing content people enjoy. Youre a real hero.
>>
>>158806303
Donating doesn't mean just giving them surplus money. But if you like their work there is nothing wrong with tipping them, but you should still buy raws.
>>
>>158806335
>from the moment you choose to be part of this shit, you're no longer in the position to call others childish. Non-childish people won't be wasting time arguing about this shit
Sounds like a microcosm of /a/.
>>
>>158806423
That's nothing. I've seen people praise a guy for using 4 different machine translators to approximate the meaning and then edit the English. They told him it was great work.
>>
>>158806424
Fuck, my bad, I read you post as if you were expecting to be given things because you donated instead of you just giving them a little cash because they did good.
>>
>>158806436
I'm just an editor, not a translator. If proofreading it is enough i can probably do it but i can't check validity of the translation itself
>>
>>158806535
>so many years have passed and people still pay CGRascal to machine translate
>so many years have passed and he still can't into moon
>>
>>158790605
>translating a series somebody else is already doing is BREACHING SCANLATOR ETIQUETTE
Why are these people such attention whoring retards?
>>
>>158806535
You know, that would be great work if he can get accurate translations of things 90% of the time, even with the most difficult to translate stuff.

But I highly doubt that.
>>
>>158806550
TL check not translator, but you probably need to know Japanese. I'm not affiliated with them, I just want Hibari-kun to be released.
http://collectr.blogspot.com/2016/05/backlogged.html
>>
>>158806595
>different groups do the same series, but pick up at different chapters
>they leave a giant gap in the middle and never fill it in

REEEEEE

>>158806608
>If you're an experienced translator and want to give the dialog a thorough review, please let me know ASAP.
They want a translator specifically, you are out of luck
>>
>>158806595
Nigga any translation group is an attention whore and its fine. They give you a free product because they want your attention. Small price to pay.
>>
>>158806603
>most difficult to translate stuff
That's what fails pretty much most, if not all machine TL. Machine can't even get a lot of basic sentences right. Adding more machines (at our current level of tech) isn't going to mean anything other than the fact that the person isn't ready to tl anything.
>>
>>158806641
Fuck, you reminded me of one series I was reading
>Everything is fine
>Scanlators just decided to skip one particular chapter for no reason
>Just a note in the next chapter that they decided not to translate the previous one

???? WHY
>>
>>158806684
Nichibros? Last I checked, I remember there were gaps here and there.
>>
>>158806641
that says they are translated.
>>
>>158806550
>but i can't check validity of the translation itself
You can point out or even change any weird lines and any lines you have doubt about.

>>158806603
Supposedly paid service of google translator using neural networking and it's jp>eng translation very good. I didn't tried though.
>>
>>158806724
Umi no Misaki.
>>
>>158806603
Stop this madness.

>>158806733
Why do ESLfags love the idea of machine translations so much?
>>
>>158806724
>Nichibros
Yeah, what's up with that? I thought /a/ likes that work, too. I even recall that some anons decided to collaborate to translate the rest of the manga after the earlier group dropped. The /a/nons ended up just releasing a few chapters and then dying off.
>>
>>158806760
Why are you so sure it's ESLfags though? Over the years I've noticed that quite a lot of them are Americans. The most obvious tell is when they say 'could/should of' instead of 'could/should have'. And then there's this year's april's fool with flags.
>>
>>158806724
For me personally it was Working and Chihayafuru
>>
>>158806760
Because that way you don't have to learn a new language. It's lazy and they put far too much trust in the machine, think it's accurate because it sounds close when they barely even know Japanese grammar themselves. Atleast if they knew Japanese grammar it would help. But even then they still need to work on their ENGLISH grammar.
>>
>>158806760
Because EOPfags not doing anything.
Face it: robots will take over all translations eventually, because it's fast and consistent and there's demand for it. In 5 years, 10 and worst, all sites will be selling digital books (and anything else that could be translated on the fly or with minimal effort) translated by machines.
>>
They actually called someone mister as a way to ridicule them ,some guy probably older than 18 still uses the first piece of irony a human being discovers in his life ,that's fucking scary.
>>
>>158806831
Because the guy I quoted is literally an ESLfag. I've also been to more than one LN thread ever.

>>158806851
I think it's because they're the only ones who can read that awful broken English and not get a headache.
>>
>>158806913
EOP isn't an insult for people who don't know your monkey language, it's for people too stupid to learn moon, like you.
>>
>>158806931
>I think it's because they're the only ones who can read that awful broken English and not get a headache.
You make a good point.
>>
>>158806931
>LN
Literally just a bunch of chinks doing CN to ENG "translations".
>>
File: 1493688450408.jpg (20KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
1493688450408.jpg
20KB, 280x280px
I think the act of scanlating something for free is cool as fuck. That doesn't mean a lot of these scanlaters can't be annoying as fuck too. I dunno, I feel like if you are a part of this community and you sign up for a series you should really know what to expect. Weebs are a ravenous and nasty bunch of spectrum specialists.
>>
>>158806658
That has nothing to do with what I said though because I was talking about the scanlators themselves, not me or other readers.

This whole "I'm already doing this, why are you such a meanie?!!??!" bullshit is playground level politics and just a basic example of some sort of cartel-like anti-competitive practices.

If somebody doesn't like Group A's translations and starts doing their own because they think they can do better than Group B, then by all means, nobody should give them shit for it. Competition is always better for the illegal scanlation "market" because it forces the groups to make a better product if they want to stay in the game. These tantrums about how "unfair" it is to have more than one group working on something is very telling about how the goal of most of these people isn't to get translations out but to collect reddit upvotes and any competition is seen as a threat to their upvotes and they scream bullshit emotional arguments to protect what little e-peen they have.

Then there's the bullshit about "muh copyrights" that you also see amongst anime fansubbing groups. Laughable.

I need to go back to learning moon so I can just read raws without depending on these people.
>>
>>158807030
>"muh copyrights" that you also see amongst anime fansubbing groups
what do you mean? when shit gets licensed people stop subbing
>>
>>158790605

the customer is always wrong
>>
>>158807009
I like scanlating porn, there is no race for being the first and i can just edit what i want in the timeframe i want
>>
>>158806950
Yeah, nothing is insult for EOP and they rather beg of screech than doing something.
>>
>>158807055
Back when fansubs were still AVI hardsubs, a large number of fansubbers refused to move onto softsubbing because of MUH COPYRIGHTS and they made a big deal about how they wanted to "protect their intellectual property" from the Internet when all it does is shit up video encodes and wasting maybe 30m-1h of a person's time at worst to just transcribe the subs for re-release.

Had nothing to do with the rule of dropping a show if it got licensed.
>>
>>158807139
Oh I know what you mean. People do drop series once they get licensed though, once V*z for instance picks up a manga most if not all groups stop because they don't want to get sued.
>>
>>158807200
Then why bring it up if it's not relevant to the discussion?
>>
>>158807362
What? How is it not relevant? I quote you.
>>
Name one (1) good scanlator.
>>
>>158807097
Just stop embarrassing yourself, ESLfag. If you don't know moon, no one cares how many languages you speak.
>>
>>158797073
Got any stories with poor 'editors', 'proofreaders' and 'quality checkers'?
>>
>>158807503
There are plenty of good groups around, I can list 6 just off the top of my head:
-Hachimitsu
-Prozess
-Futari wa pretty anon
-Rapeman
-Helvetica
-Wakga
>>
>>158807886
>-Prozess
>-Rapeman
>-Helvetica
Lol
>>
>>158807886
>Prozess
Nice memes.
>>
>>158793623
>miscreant
He comes off like a fucking cartoon villain. What a faggot.
>>
>>158807886
>Prozess
PFFFFTTTTT
>>
>>158807503
Hox.jpg
>>
>>158798176
>>158798238
>>158798438
>>158798558

It depends on context. sasuga English
>>
>>158797472
What the fuck
Thank god Amanchu is pubblished in my country.
>>
>>158798434
>I once saw 例の指輪 translated as "for example, a ring.
You can't leave me hanging like that now. What does it actually mean?
>>
>>158809042
Marriage ring
>>
>>158809042
>例の
Hard to accurately put it in words, but it's meant to emphasis the following word... which was probably mentioned earlier
>指輪
Ring

With that it would be "That Certain Ring." or "That ring" with 'That' in italics. Most times you see in used in Manga/anime, it's when the writer wants to be vague about the mentioned topic/item.

Probably could go on, but this thread is gonna die.
>>
>>158809251
"The aforementioned" is the closest to 例の you'll get in English.
>>
>>158809042
It means "the aforementioned ring." Rei is the kanji for "example", but reino means aforementioned.
Thread posts: 512
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.