[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Evangelion is not that good. Can we stop pretending?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

File: evangelion-wallpaper-01-729x500.jpg (80KB, 729x500px) Image search: [Google]
evangelion-wallpaper-01-729x500.jpg
80KB, 729x500px
Evangelion is not that good. Can we stop pretending?
>>
>>158381918
Evangelion is too deep for you. None of you truly understand what this anime is about. Some say its a deconstruction of mecha, or say it's about depression. Both are wrong. Evangelion is a deconstruction of anime itself. Anno did something truly genius with this show nobody has ever done in any other anime, perhaps any other medium in general. He ripped off a bunch of truly great anime, but then made it as bad as possible (Gunbuster was the prototype for this). One element of this is present in the characters Rei & Asuka. Anno took the best girl Rei Asuka from another anime and split her between too giant piles of shit known as Rei Ayanami and Asuka Souryu. Evangelion is truly deconstruction in its purest form.
>>
>>158381918
I think evangelion is about looking at yourself through shinji and him trying to find happiness, the show is but a means for him to find it.

In other news >>158381927 is a shit posting faggot
>>
>>158381987
Grow up kid. Just because you disagree with an opinion does not mean it is shitposting.
>>
File: evangelion__s_truth__by_aoimaru2.jpg (292KB, 900x1274px) Image search: [Google]
evangelion__s_truth__by_aoimaru2.jpg
292KB, 900x1274px
>>158382043
>>
>>158381927
>>
>>158382043
Fine, I will decontruct your arguement to show you

>it was intentionally bad to deconstruct anime

Thats probably the most shitposty shit i have ever seen. If you were serious about that then I would say no fucking producer makes intentionally bad anime, even in the name of "art". It just doesn't fucking happen. Evangelion is about the human condition you moron.
>>
>>158382141
fuck off with that cancerous shit
>>
>>158382157
To be honest all of those series are actually better than Eva, except maybe Macross.
>>
>>158381918
its pretty good when you're at that pseudo intellectual age
>>
>>158382158
And you're the most newfagy of the newfags.
It's a 200 year old pasta you fucking pleb. Go back to MAL or some shit.
>>
>>158382500
What age is that?
>>
>>158381918

Yeah we already know you are doing reverse psychology so we stop acting all hipster with it and defend it . Fuck you.
>>
The problem with Evangelion are all the youngtards who got into it after the 90s and think their opinion matter.
It's even worse when they're underages who browsed /m/ once and think that because they've read Ideon is similar to Evangelion then that means Evangelion "ripped off Ideon" (when both of them ripped off Childhood's End, but of course, I wouldn't expect underage memesters to have read actual sci-fi)
>>
>>158381927

Actually laughed 8/10
>>
>>158384749
15 probably
>>
>>158384947
15 year olds probably think Evangelion is too old and dated though.
They are busy watching moe anime or pretending to like older /m/ shows for e-cred.
>>
>>158384908

Indeed they did. thats also why I got Eva vibe s from x-com
>>
>you will never watch Evangelion for the first time in the 90s without pre-conceived notions and spoilers

I envy oldfags sometimes.
>>
>>158384749
>>
>>158385064
Most people on 4chan were born after Evangelion
>>
>>158384976
You got Eva vibes from X-COM because they're both directly inspired by UFO. Even Anno's rapid cuts of mysterious shit are Gerry Anderson as hell.
>>
>>158385064
Same here, my first contact with Evangelion were some parodies in newgrounds in like 2004.... I realize, not the ideal way to get into something.
>>
I admit my disdain for Evangelion is mainly due to being introduced to it by rabid Eva fanboys back in high school.
Maybe if I found the series on my own I would have a different perception of it.
>>
File: ED027.png (98KB, 551x400px) Image search: [Google]
ED027.png
98KB, 551x400px
>>158385542
That's not so bad. You didn't watch one episode because its rating was pretty good or you were trying to understand vaporwave better and then go directly to wikia.
>>
>>158383112
>200 year old pasta you fucking pleb
Shut the fuck off up retard. I just wrote that yesterday. Stop trying so hard to look like you yourself aren't new you pretentious fuck.
>>
>>158385279
Not me
>>
>>158381918
>nigh universal critical acclaim
>loved by multiple generations
>literally reshaped the entertainment industry of japan

Yea, I'm sure it's actually horrible and we've all just been tricked or too dumb to see it. Tell me, glorious hypernerd, how is it that the wool has been pulled over our eyes for so long? Bless me with the knowledge you alone have discovered which has alluded the rest of society for over 20 years.
>>
>>158387914
Cry more dumb evafag
>>
>>158384908
Thematically neither Ideon nor Eva have anything to do with Childhood's End.
>>
best anime of all time
>>
File: 1380909958284.jpg (46KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
1380909958284.jpg
46KB, 500x278px
>>158381918
>Be me.
>MFW Evangelion is actually the shittiest show ever made even though any complaint made towards it comes from not understanding it and is easily explained leading to any detractors to boil down their criticism to calling it shit.
>MFW this is all done to distract the masses from normie repellent god tier anime like Eromanga Sensei, Jojo, and Youjo Senki.
>>
>>158388253
>be me
I don't get why /b/ children started adding this to their greentexts. Who the fuck else would you be?
>>
Tomino is a crappy director
>>
Just finished it for the second time in about 5 years. I forgot how boring it is until about ep 14.
>>
Evangelion is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DARKNESS. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.
>>
It's ok.
>>
>>158388843
>characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect
>shipping faggotry
I really hope this is bait, but if it's not you have to elaborate.
>>
>>158381918
No. Fuck you.
>>
>>158390286
Lurk more. This means to stop posting and browse the board for a few years.
>>
>>158390286
>not recognizing one of the most common pastas
anon...
>>
it sold more copies than any individual series in the history of anime, completely shifted production trends from OVA to television, and opened the door for adult-oriented television series.
>>
>>158390912
>opened the door for adult-oriented television series.
Actually that was Gundam way back in the 70s. OVAs were already on their way out due to the rental bubble popping.
>>
File: 63233409_p0.png (537KB, 1517x1887px) Image search: [Google]
63233409_p0.png
537KB, 1517x1887px
>>158390912
Personally, I'd see the change you mention in anime (cartoons) as a parallel to how western comics and cartoons have evolved as well.

Children grow up, and they start to see the flaws in the cartoons they watch. Moreover, they are embarrased by it, because despite still loving the cartoon heroes they grew up with, their now adult peers will never take them seriously about it, or the cartoons themselves. Therefore, there is a need to "adultwash" cartoons every now and then, so that these man and womanchildren can feel more secure in their continued investment in a fantasy world. We've seen this happen with franchises such as "Batman" through Bale's interpretation of the character and Nolans work on the movie universe. Similar "super-hero" settings are also being filmatized for an adult audience now as well.

In short, as the audience of cartoons grow up, so do the cartoons with them.

In this effect, Evangelion was already the product of such a movement. Anno and his peers were all otaku from a young age, and now with the insight they had from their otaku and adult years, they were able to produce a serious otaku work. It is said that "peak genius" happens around a man's middle age, when he is around 35-40 years old. This is the age group where for instance, the most nobel prince winners are concentrated. This is the point where a man has already tried and failed, and is able to look back on his experience and reconsider himself - or some art.

Hideaki Anno was around 37 years old when Evangelion started airing.
>>
>>158391301
Considering Evangelion is merely a wacky harem 70% of the time I'm going to say you aren't correct.
>>
I really liked it, asuka Shinji and Misato were all very relatable, seemed like competing parts of the same personality.
The visuals and sound track really stuck in your mind. Scenes like in rei 3 were she was talking to her self in the Eva and the kitchen scene in eoe were really hard hitting.
>>
>>158391508
You were the one who insisted that Eva is "adult entertainment". Eva didn't invent anything. Your perception that it "opened up" a certain market is only due to the fact that it happened to be the hit among many other similar works that came out at around the same time. It's just the peak of a trend, not it's cause.
>>
>>158391508
>>158391301 here.

I wouldn't say 70% of the time, but why would that mater anyway?
>>
>>158381918
What's not that good? It's good. A solid 7/10 with some annoying shit holding it back
>>
>>158391889
I'm implying harem automatically makes a series garbage for kids.
>>
>>158388317
>be you
>am a faggot
>mfw
>>
File: 63120908_p0.jpg (3MB, 4960x3507px) Image search: [Google]
63120908_p0.jpg
3MB, 4960x3507px
>>158392024
Wouldn't a caped hero also make a given movie garbage for kids? Wouldn't the stereotypical 14-year old piloting a giant robot also make the story for kids?

The remaining 30% in your figure would be there to validate the other 70%. By delving deeply into the characters and introducing a sense of realism, Evangelion is able to be taken seriously as an "adult work". By "adultwashing" the giant robot harem cartoon, as Anno is now an adult in the "genius phase", Evangelion was created.

Some people mistakenly refer to this as "deconstruction", but that's another discussion in itself. The point I'm making is that cartoon franchises need to be remade so they can be kosher for a more adult audience, and there is no one better suited to this task than the woman and manchildren, who have already spent large amounts of their own free time rationalizing the various aspects of their favorite cartoon.
>>
>>158381918
It's actually pretty good.
>>
Where did Nerv get the S2 engine from that they were trying to install in Unit 04 when it blew up? Was it from the angel in episode 3?
>>
>>158392392
/thread
>>
Ever since the original airplay ended, I've posited that Eva IS deep... if you're 14. Actually being a developed adult human, not so much.
>>
>>158385064
I only watched the first episodes without spoilers. I'm not Japanese, mind you, so I had to wait until someone brought the VHS from there. Then I couldn't help myself and read spoilers in specialized magazines. Stupid me. I regret it to these days.
>>
>>158381918
As a monster of the week show its one of the best of its kind
>>
>>158385627
I like Evangelion a lot. I don't think I love it, but I really, really like it. But I despise its fanbase. It's one of the worst there are. And not only because of the 2deep4u meme, I couldn't care less about that. But mostly because they think that anime begun and ended with Evangelion. They shit on 70s and 80s anime all the time, yet they've never seen any. They don't care about anime, they care about edgy pseudo-religious imaginery that enforces their notion that being atheists make them superior.
Don't get me wrong, there are a few really reasonable Evangelion fans, but those are mostly otakus from the old guard who happened to like Evangelion as well. And it's difficult to find them between the loud, annoying majority of kids who confuse setting with actual meaning.
>>
Even the creator of EVA said it's not deep

TF is wrong with the diehards who keep pushing the 2deep4u meme?
>>
>>158390962
Actually that was Yamato even before Gundam.
>>
>>158397994
Tbh I feel that most of those fans have died out, I mostly see people making fun of it and using the 2deep4u meme or saying that it's not actually that good. People still jerk it for sure, but it's not as bad now.

>>158398044
Anno has said everything about Eva, I wouldn't trust him. I don't think that Eva is hard to understand or really deep, but I don't trust Anno as well.
>>
>>158398147
The funny thing is that some of them are starting to realize how it feels like to be on this side. Because kids that started the "adult trend" (I quote it because it's bullshit, but it's what they believe) with series such as Death Note or Attack on Titan are now completely oblivious to the anime that marked the mid and late 90s. I usually troll them when they complain because kids don't watch and don't know anything about 90s anime asking them if they ever watched anime from the 70s and early 80s.
>>
>>158398433
I saw someone calling SAO an old anime, for newer fans anything older than 3-5 years is super duper old it seems and that kinda scares me.
>>
>>158391301
Evangelion is a shounen. There's no adult wash, it's an anime meant for kids in late highschool years. It has some substance and some things might be better appreciated as an adult, but that's not an unusual staple of shounen and has never been.
>>
>>158398597
I was part of a fanzine once, one of the writers had a persona she used writing as a kid in his late teens. So she wrote a Death Note article some 2-3 years after it started airing saying that a lot of time had passed since, that it was "still" a classic among classic, all stupid things like that. So yeah, that's been going all for almost a decade.
Ah, the years of youth.
>>
File: 63053256_p0.png (3KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
63053256_p0.png
3KB, 512x512px
>>158399307
>had a persona she used writing as a kid in his late teens.
>she used
>in his

what did he(female) mean by this?
>>
>>158399432
Don't make posts like this if you don't understand English.
>>
>>158399432
The lady who wrote in the fanzine used a pseudonym to make fun of newfags. When she wrote with that pseudonym she was supposedly a boy. Those kind of things weren't uncommon, not only we used many pseudonyms just for fun, in fact we used to have another recurring joke of a woman in a forum with incredible tits, but in reality it was one of the guys writing bullshit just for kicks and giggles. And the funny thing was when new users believed it and wanted to meet "her" in conventions.
>>
File: 63140039_p0.jpg (592KB, 1240x1748px) Image search: [Google]
63140039_p0.jpg
592KB, 1240x1748px
>>158399659
Cool story bro. (Seriously, fun story.)

But, fanzine? Who uses that word nowadays? Even back then? Is it a locally produced thing?
>>
>>158384749
whatever age you find yourself liking evangelion at
>>
>>158399812
It's like a magazine made by fans. It usually comes out whenever the creators feel like, or whenever they have time/inspiration to do it. Some only charge a few cents to make it pay itself, in our case we would distribute it in conventions for free; we were around 10 people chipping in for the copies, at least in the first 2 years. With time we became less, eventually only 3 of us wrote notes and payed for it until it just didn't make sense to keep going anymore. Since most of us were adults some of the others had already formed families and didn't have time to stay a whole night until the next morning making it while watching anime and arguing (in fact Evangelion was quite a recurrent argument, for a time there were even Evafags and Bebopfags against each other).

We would do it in Corel Draw and then print it in black and white at the lower costs we could get for such a small amount. It was A5 size, we would print it in A4 and then fold it and staple it ourselves. Since we didn't care about selling it we could actually write what we felt about series, for good or for bad, so it wasn't uncommon to have articles bashing popular anime. In fact another of our recurrent jokes was that if you didn't watch a series or only watched a few episodes then it was even better, because the most shit we made up the better.

We did it just for fun, as opposed to many magazines about anime that had a longer print run (usually a few thousands) and charged around 3 dollars to make a profit. Some of them could make a decent living out of it for a few years, and they varied from useless articles about the most popular series to some that actually did inform about the latest news in Japan and obscure anime as well. Then internet really became a thing and most of them died.
>>
>>158386354
why is she so perfect?
>>
>>158388253
>jojo
>god tier

you have shit taste
>>
>>Ever since the original airplay ended, I've posited that Mikan IS deep... if you're 14. Actually being a developed adult human, not so much.
>fixed it
>>
>>158381987
I think it is this, but more than that, it is Anno's criticism of the Otaku community as a whole, using a genre which at the time was incredibly popular.

That was why I liked it. In a way, it stopped you from escaping into the show. Be it with Shinji, Asuka, Kaworu, Rei, Misato or Gendo, the show did its best to demonstrate how various tropes and archetypes within anime were impossible and not healthy to pursue or engage in.

I might be biased though, because Evangelion did help me sort some shit out in my life, like my relationship to my parents so...

I do think though, an essential thing to look at before or after one watches Evangelion is Utena. Mainly because they are two sides of the same coin about the deconstruction of fantasies which were common in the community at the time.
>>
File: 1492179644421.gif (1MB, 220x178px) Image search: [Google]
1492179644421.gif
1MB, 220x178px
>>158403409
>the show did its best to demonstrate how various tropes and archetypes within anime were impossible and not healthy to pursue or engage in
If you're still alive in this thread then this. It goes to show how certain archetypes are portrayed and how their real life counterparts are nothing like in anime. It shows that underneath the surface we all suffer even if we can't see it, and Shinji represents a youthful everyman that is completely unable to understand the world around him. It's nothing terribly deep, but it does an awesome job about illustrating the human psych and how we interact with one another given the circumstances in our lives.

Pic related, third impact
>>
Ok, Evangelion is not that deep, the creator himself admitted it on various occasions.

Still, the story is very well thought and the animation is absolutely god tier for the time it was made. I also like how Evangelion shifts between SoL-like aspects and epic battles for the fate of humanity.

Rebuild is shit, though.
>>
>>158404499
Yep still alive and pretty much this. I enjoy Evangelion, not for the symbolism but for the characters and their interactions with the world around them. I think that is what leads to a lot of the interpretation of certain characters differ as circumstances of the viewers are different and a result so is how they see the far more fleshed out characters in Evangelion.

That is what I always try to go for when writing. A decent story with great and multilayered character interactions.
>>
>>158381918
I agree, it's shit. These "2deep4you" fags are so cringey.
>>
>>158385064
It's pretty great to be able to watch it without exposure to the incessant shitposting by people who love and/or hate it to an irrational extent.

It's legitimately very good, but for some reason it tends to attract autists to an unreasonable degree (again, both those that love it and hate it).
>>
>>158404499
>>158404709
>>158405492
You people are refreshingly sane.
>>
>>158407078
Thanks anon. I enjoy Evangelion, in fact I would say it is one of my favorite anime, but I know what it is and what it isn't. It is a good show, I do honestly think that, but I know it isn't perfect or the deepest thing ever created intentionally or otherwise.
>>
>>158381918
>underaged homosexual pathetic loser mc
Now you know why it's glorified here in /a/
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.