[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/a/, if I don't care for the mecha genre, will I be able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Evangelion_retouched.png (29KB, 311x114px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion_retouched.png
29KB, 311x114px
/a/, if I don't care for the mecha genre, will I be able to make it through Evangelion? I know it's rated all high and has a cult following, so it has to be decent, but I really don't care for things like Gundam and giant robots fighting.

Will this alone put me off from being able to watch it?
>>
Honestly, it's very 90s, and suffers from "Hitchcock syndrome", or "thematic trickle-down", in that it was so influential on subsequent works that it seems cliche and outdated to younger audiences as a result.

But it's an objectively good series with lots to love. If the interpersonal drama and gut-wrenching suspense don't grab you in a few episodes, just drop it.
>>
Ebingelion isnt a war story like Gundam, the entire plot and setting is contrived to showcase the psychology of the characters.
>>
The difference between Eva and other mecha shows like Gundam is that the fights in other shows feel quite meaningless. Each fight in Eva is filled with context and emotional weight, and the show uses them as an opportunity to learn more about the characters rather than showing action for the sake of action. It's a psychological drama disguised as a mecha show.
>>
If you liked Serial Experiments Lain you will probably like Evangelion
>>
File: lainy.gif (157KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
lainy.gif
157KB, 500x355px
>>158377706
Thank you for this comment...I literally finished Lain not long ago and I loved it. So liking Lain, will help me like this?

Hmmm...
>>
>>158378032
No, the two shows couldn't be any farther apart. Just fucking watch the first 1-3 episodes and decide for yourself, this isn't difficult. In the 50 minutes since this thread started you could have formed an opinion of your own instead of having others spoonfeed their opinions to you.
>>
>>158377706
Lain fucking sucks dude
>>
eva and gunbuster are both mecha titles that non-mechafags love.

>>158377706
lain is terrible. completely different than evangelion despite what contrarians say.
>>
Eva is more about crazy freudian psychology than mechas, really. Most the mechas fight are usually quick and without much flashiness.
>>
I think mecha is an inherently stupid genre but NGE is my favorite series by far.
Don't go into it expecting that much. How much you enjoy the show greatly depends on what kind of person you are and what expectations you have going into the show.
Also, don't look up any explanations until you've watched all of NGE (1-26) and EoE. Personally I think its best to watch through the series at least twice before looking anything up if you're really curious, as a lot of stuff makes a lot more sense on a second watch.
>>
>>158376824
like most mecha anime, it's less about the mecha and more about the shit that's happening

people who hate anime with mecha because it has mecha are fucking stupid
>>
File: 4th-wall-broke.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
4th-wall-broke.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>158380062
pleb
>>
>>158378640
you're stupid
>>158376824
you're stupid
>>158377229
you're stupid

all wrong and know nothing about the mecha genre in general.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.