[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you pitch a good horror anime, /a/? There have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 17

File: run neo.png (587KB, 664x772px) Image search: [Google]
run neo.png
587KB, 664x772px
How would you pitch a good horror anime, /a/? There have been attempts but over all these years there still hasn't been a good one. I think the confines of episodic storytelling and animation make it super hard to the point of impossibility.
>>
File: 1495922008466.jpg (190KB, 960x599px) Image search: [Google]
1495922008466.jpg
190KB, 960x599px
sol anime about middle schooler girls in nagoya, only there's something unsettling in every episode
one of the girls' brother shown walking around the park at night, garroting people, one time a person makes an inhuman noise and has green blood seeping out of it's mouth, guy makes a puzzled face and walks away
same guy shown off scene having sex with his sister
another girl seeing creatures in the dark whispering constantly

just generally everyday life showing horrors lurking inside it, I think it's more unsettling than "scary clown/monster chases tourists in a forest"
>>
File: 035_1488696755.png (82KB, 1315x1900px) Image search: [Google]
035_1488696755.png
82KB, 1315x1900px
I recently read through The Girl from the Other Side, and it's probably the only manga that actually made me tense up while reading it and feel some dread.
Hard to pin down what works for it, though. The art style and unknown mystery are probably the big two reasons.
So if you're going to pitch something, you need it to have a non-uguu traditional style, develop the characters in a way that you actually care about them, and don't blow your load on the mystery of what's happening. Don't get too chatty and just explain everything, because that takes away a lot of the teeth of horror.
>>
File: they laugh at your dick.jpg (38KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
they laugh at your dick.jpg
38KB, 800x450px
>>158142594
>implying
First season was better than anything Hollywood made in years. Not that this is an achievement of any kind.
>>
>>158144535
Really? I thought the first three episodes were incredible mediocre.
Either way it had some cool directing tricks up its sleeve, but I was talking about a series with a flowing narrative. It's obviously much easier to escape the feeling that the main protagonists are safe when it's a collection of shorts.
>>
>>158145042
Well, to each their own then.
Most horror shit bores me rather than fills me with dread. YS on the other hand clicked.
Why can't Hollywood learn to make more stuff like Jacob's Ladder?
>>
File: 1430778791951.png (248KB, 503x421px) Image search: [Google]
1430778791951.png
248KB, 503x421px
>>158144535
>First season was better than anything Hollywood made in years
Cute, but you're wrong.
>>
>>158145430
>he likes annabell and it's cheap jump scares
>>
>>158145430
No. Horror genre is a dumpster fire these days.
>>
Why are Japs good at making scary games but not anime/manga?
>>
File: 1430776933262.png (362KB, 644x628px) Image search: [Google]
1430776933262.png
362KB, 644x628px
>>158145559
Oh so we're just going to be making wild speculations now?
>>158145632
There's usually one good one a year. The problem is that they're putting too much money into the movies. The best films are almost always the ones that had to get creative because of a shoestring budget.
>>
i liked few first episodes of shiki.it was wierd and unique.also i liked the way they just killed or turned characters left and right.
the first thing i thought after watching first 2 seasons of game of thrones was: hey it's just like shiki without the good parts and i dropped it
>>
>>158145761
>There's usually one good one a year
No, there isn't. The last passable horror movie was Starry Eyes, if you can even call that horror.
>>
>>158142594

Rate the Covenant. I gave it an 8.
>>
>>158145902
That's not The Neon Demon.
>>
>>158145902
And now we just go back and forth on what constitutes a good horror movie from the last 3 years, neither of our opinions are changed, and we call each other faggots. Let's just get it done with.
Faggot.
>>
File: Capture8.png (401KB, 1096x418px) Image search: [Google]
Capture8.png
401KB, 1096x418px
>>158142594
>there is loli
>loli kills shotas
>loli rapes and brainwashes adult men
>loli uses skin of adult women as disguise
>towards the end it is revealed that loli was a trap the whole time
>>
>>158146006
I give you that one.
>>158146062
Fine. Let's disagree peacefully this time.
>>
>>158146068
Spooky indeed.
>>
Cute girls doing cute things.
>>
>>158146000
Alien Covenant? I'd give it a 6/10. I really liked the second act of the movie where it mused on David and Walter. It wasn't scary though and I have never felt more contempt for a group of human characters in a movie before either. Decent sci fi with moments of brilliance, pretty bad horror IMO.
I'd really love a sci fi horror anime that takes the core ideals of the alien universe though (i.e. how it's all premised on some perfectly evolved organisms). If it took place on an enclosed research facility somewhere, with creatures being a persistent threat, there would be solid ground.
>>
>>158146068
>group of senior citizens lead the charge to solve the mystery since they are unaffected
>police arrest anyone who doesn't fap to loli and cp
>takes place in small town
>no old people in small town
>main characters move to small town for retirement which is when movie begins
>>
That Seto no Hayome ova...
>>
>>158142594
It's difficult to find good horror in anime or hollywood nowadays.
Not an anime, but Saya no Uta is one of my favorites.
>>
>>158146219
I think this is the best way to get that uneasy, something is fucked up kind of vibe. Having a bunch of characters just accepting the strange things that they're doing is normal, and such.
Just wish they weren't so heavy fisted with the puberty shit. GET IT, THE FLOWERS ARE METAPHORS!
>>
>>158142594
Traveller in a mountainous region finds refuge in an isolated town after getting caught in a blizzard. The townsfolk are odd, but kind, and quickly help the traveller on his way. However, they urge him to take a lesser known path on exit. He accepts the advice as another kindness and goes on his way.
However, the blizzard picks up again and all paths from the town, especially the one they urged him down, are blocked. MC barely makes it back to the town by nightfall.
But, every door is barred, and no one answers. Soon, things inhuman begin to creep about on the streets, and MC is forced to run and hide until morning-banging every door he can for help, but to no avail.
The next morning, when the townsfolk find he has survived, it is revealed that the townsfolk are cannibals who feed upon the travelers that die in the snow. For this, their town has been cursed, and all sorts of manifestations of ill intent from the eaten dead roam the town at night.
MC is unable to leave the town due to the recurrent blizzard, but he has demonstrated his strength. Therefore the elder allows him to stay on the grounds that he aids their kind, and makes wives of many of the town's girls to counteract interbreeding. He will also have to befriend the right people if he wants a place to stay each night, and for the nights he cannot, he must brave the horrors which creep outside.

Building a harem of cannibal yanderes in an isolated town assaulted by monsters, all on the hope that someday he will be able to betray the town's trust and escape, or that he can successfully integrate with a group of cannibals and not fall victim to them.
>>
>>158146490
Kuro adaptation when?
>>
The way japan is now with their censorship laws and regulations, we will never have anything like the gritty 80s OVAs ever again.

heck, the live action adaptation of Shoujo Tsubaki is more or less watered down to the manga and the anime.
>>
>>158142594
A true adaptation of either Uzumaki by Junji Ito, with a focus on creating the Lovecraftian cosmic horror feel, or a series of one shots by Junji with the main focus being on replicating his artstyle and creating atmosphere.
>>
> this single ep btfo'd actual horror series.
No need to thank me.
>>
>>158142594
>episodic storytelling
This is the biggest reason why horror anime fails. You lose all tension and buildup when you have to fit things into 22 minute chunks and than give the audience a week to sit on it. Single episode's can be pretty spooky, but you can't draw that out over an entire cour.
>>
It wasn't. Maybe if it was 20 minutes long but as it is nope.
>>
>>158150194
I think that it'd be possible if the main cast was an ensemble, at there were sneaky directing tricks to ensure that it feels like no one person gets the spotlight. The biggest issue IMO is that the protagonists will eventually reveal themselves and it'll become clear that X character won't die.
There's also the issue that you've said- the threat will just fizzle out. That's why I think the threat must be a branching mystery in origin, definition, and ability.
>>158150172
Forgive me, but what's this?
>>
Do we really need another discussion about this?
>>
>>158150411
meant for
>>158144535
>>
File: 1337608431861.gif (2MB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
1337608431861.gif
2MB, 480x272px
Quick reminder that in good horror anime best girl wins.
>>
File: librarian.jpg (172KB, 750x724px) Image search: [Google]
librarian.jpg
172KB, 750x724px
>>158150436
The best scene was the dude getting out of the chandelier only to get squashed.
I made yesterday's thread and I'm itching for more.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (116KB, 600x884px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
116KB, 600x884px
I'd have been happy if this show didn't shit the bed halfway.
>>
>>158150415
Flip flappers.
>>
>>158150415
>Forgive me, but what's this?
It's called Boku no Google it.
>>
>>158150668
This is that one that /u/ is always talking about isn't it?
>doubt
>>158150676
Excuse my retardation.
>>
File: 1490703991869.png (323KB, 368x534px) Image search: [Google]
1490703991869.png
323KB, 368x534px
>>158142594
Remakes of popular western 80/90s scifi/fantasy like Event Horizon, Aliens, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, Hellraiser, In the Mouth of Madness, Reanimator, From Beyond, Army of Darkness films but with all characters replaced with lolis.

And all the violence replaced with headbaps and death replaced with crying and going home.
>>
Just get George, the clown and revolve the series around him.
>>
>>158146219
Truly terrifying
>>
File: 1492736886061.png (444KB, 735x527px) Image search: [Google]
1492736886061.png
444KB, 735x527px
>>158147171
>shaky cannibal allies
>zombies
>breeding with yandere waifus
Okay anon, you got me. I would definitely pick this up if it existed.
>>
Do you think a proper Color out of Space adaptation would be doable?
>>
Scooby Doobut with lolis
>>
>>158150415
>I think that it'd be possible if the main cast was an ensemble
Not saying that this couldn't work but there is still the problem of carrying tension across episodes. The moment you start releasing this hypothetical series on a weekly basis even a multi part episode is going to have to start from scratch to start ramping up the audience each episode. Mystery and Intrigue are different from tension. And Horror is partially about anticipation and dread.
>>
File: relax.png (2MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
relax.png
2MB, 1920x800px
>>158157674
Good points. I think the way to counter it is with the setting, honestly. It has to allow for the tension to ramp up across the series, as it perhaps becomes more claustrophobic and enclosed as the episodes go on.
The moment-to-moment horror tricks would really have to depend on the director's skill with visuals, but I think it'd go a long way to set up the environment as such. I imagine a series taking place on an enclosed facility, where the cast is slowly pushed deeper and deeper into the complex and the threat keeps expanding its territory. I guess what I'm describing is a sense of environmental progression.
But you're right, each episode would still have to shoulder the burden of taking that and ramping it up. It'd require one hell of a director.
>>
>>158150172
It honestly was the best episode in the show.
>>
File: shibito.jpg (91KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shibito.jpg
91KB, 640x480px
>>158158743
>I think the way to counter it is with the setting
I would recommend the manga 6000 as an example since it takes place in an underwater facility located at such depths that humans can't survive outside and light cannot reach. I think that fulfills your initial goal of claustrophobia.

And while it's not enclosed, the common setting of a mountain village can still work, but in both cases isolation is a key element. I also don't think that every episode has to be spooky, but each episode needs to be atmospheric at a bare minimum. I liked how the setting of Siren played out; a normal village that slowly evolved into a cobbled together hive of wooden planks and blood rivers. And the ensemble cast of that game also worked very well because it allowed for different stories and different ways of solving problems. I'm really digging the idea of a horror anime with multiple perspectives.
>>
>>158142594
>No monster
>No gore for the sake of gore
>No mindbreak, 1000 yard stare closeups.
>Focus on letting the viewer scare themselves with good pacing, framing of shots, and character interaction.

The best way to do horror is to let the viewer scare themselves. Presenting a monster, throwing gore on the screen or using jump scares doesn't make a good horror movie. Monsters aren't scary, people are scary.

I've kicked around an idea of a movie plot where a family falls victim to paranoia due to mostly unrelated outside influences and finally snaps one night and they all think they're going to kill each other. The movie explores how even regular people can fall victim to insanity and could turn on members of their family. I think that would be pretty horrific if done right.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.