[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The ending of Death Note

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: death.jpg (591KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
591KB, 2560x1600px
Finished Death Note about half a month ago and I'm still pissed about the ending.
The story is about an incredibly intelligent man who finds a note book giving him the power to kill everyone knowing their name and face so he does the only logical thing which is cleansing the world of criminals, neets, degenerates and those who oppose his authoritarian ideas building a new religion in a lost world.
Great power needs great responsibility, questioning yourself and intelligence which is all what Light had and what the story was but instead it ended with that great power leads to crazy and corruption which should be wrong in the hands of someone like Light.
The later episodes felt so out of character for Light as he became crazy with power and moving far too fast which just isn't the same man that we got to know in the first ones. He puts far too much trust in another person which Light would never do but what really annoys me is how N won.
>We knew that you had a second note book
>We made an exact replica of it in ~12 hours
This doesn't make any sense, Light made his follower check the note book for smudges and cuts, etc. There's no way that just some random guy can make an exact replica of that in less than 24 hours. After he's found out he just dies and criminal rates go back to normal.
The anime ended for me when L died, Light won. The other part is just dumb and unrealistic.
>>
>>158111186
>intelligent
>has a way to remotely kill people without leaving any evidence, but still gets caught
>intelligent
>>
The replica never made any sense. He wrote himself into a corner, realized it made no sense, and tried to fix it with a little drama.

>he made a perfect replica in one night! Copied the handwriting and everything!

...no he fucking didn't, that isn't even remotely possible
>>
File: light.jpg (134KB, 627x1024px) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
134KB, 627x1024px
>>158111224
This is exactly why It's stupid and unrealistic that he gets caught. Light is the most intelligent person in the series because the story needs him to be. There wasn't a way for him to get caught which is why the explanation of how N found him out is dumb.
>>
>>158111186
That a human being is somehow capable of perfectly replicating a supernatural notebook down to the very last detail to the point an autist like Mikami, who is completely devoted to Kira and his duty at that point, didn't notice a single difference is just too much of a leap.
>>
>>158111186
It's pretty much agreed upon that everything after L's death was bullshit and the point where the series went completely downhill.
>>
The story should have been ended with the Light vs L duel. Everything after L's death was bullshitting a way to take down Light because a "bad guy" can't win even if he's the MC.
>>
>>158111656
Good to know, this is the only ending that has made me genuinely angry. The first episodes were incredible and I thought it was a good sign that the author dared to completely kill of such a beloved character like L making me believe that he would go for a realistic ending instead of the same old 'good and complete liberty always wins evil and some authority´

>>158111581
Completely agree, even if Light had unrealistically lost his way Mikami wouldn't have because he was too new to the power, incredibly careful, as intelligent as L and would literally kill himself for light. This just would've never happened, Mikami would notice something before the climax and try to contact Light since you just know that he would have gone through it all with a microscope before he went and used it.
>>
>>158111881
And I'm not saying Light should have won, or that L should have. I'm saying it was their duel that enthralled people and why bother killing one and keeping things going if you'll just write clones to replace them anyway?
>>
File: geassR2_19_12.jpg (33KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
geassR2_19_12.jpg
33KB, 704x396px
the 2nd season is largely ignored because the series creator's favorite character was N. So instead of starting strong and ending strong the series ended with a wimper instead of a bang.
>>
File: M.png (344KB, 674x1100px) Image search: [Google]
M.png
344KB, 674x1100px
>>158112027
I definitely always wanted Light to win, he was my favorite character and think it makes for a better and more realistic story but I wouldn't be as disgusted if L would've beat him since he was pretty close about finding him out through incredibly thorough analysis, always questioning himself and others, being close to Light and many skillful integrations.
N just had a gut feeling, unrealistically knew that Mikami was using a fake note book, managed to steal the real one out of a secured bank somehow and copied it 100% correctly in one night. It's bad writing.
>>
>>158111186

This series has one of the strongest starts of any manga, but throws it all away with stupid plot choices.

>L somehow can narrow it down to Light perfectly
>L dies anyway and is replaced by some boring idiot
>Light makes stupid choices and dies anyway
>>
File: l.jpg (13KB, 452x374px) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
13KB, 452x374px
>>158112625
I think that L narrowing Light down makes some sense though, much more and better written than how N found him out.
>Kira had access to closed police reports
>Light is the son of a very high positioned detective
>The FBI agent that was following Light had a more unusual death than the others
>Light was incredibly intelligent and stood easily out from the other candidates that L considered being Kira.
>>
>>158111990
>the same old 'good and complete liberty always wins evil and some authority
To be fair, this was played with some. Light develops an evil personality from using the DN, but he truly is driven by a genuine desire to create a better world. And he actually achieves this, with the act of defeating him making the world worse, which is different from the typical story (the more sympathetic anime ending for Light actually takes away from this, as the more humiliating manga ending actually does give him due credit). Also while cops are good enough people, the detectives are a little dark themselves.

Ultimately it was still a series in a magazine for boys and obviously don't want to communicate certain things, but it's a little gray.

>>158112615
Yeah, I would accept the logic that Light got lazy or was too arrogant and underestimated M and N, but I never got that impression from reading it. He looked down on them but he didn't underestimate them, and he was prepared to win big time.

The other is Light is human no matter how god-like he appears, and was bound to fail eventually. I'm fine with that, but it was still a lackluster way to go about showing that.
>>
>>158111186
It's pretty much how any mystery-focused/battle of the minds battle goes.

The author has to make the battle seem far above the standard of normal intellect, but realistically, that's not actually something that happens or exists. He shot his load off at Kira beating L, but pretty much ran out of decent ideas and didn't seem to have a clear script in mind for how Kira would eventually fall.

There's only so many twists or insane plans you can make up before they start being stupid.

The one series where I think it was done well from start to end was One Outs. Every game was bit of a self-contained arc, however the protagonist eventually built himself a reputation with the endgame baseball team, the Mariners. His final act to defeat them is a culmination of all the effort he's put forth so far.

His next work, Liar Game, seemed like it was going well, but then it fucked up and ended prematurely in such an awful way.

If you're looking for more dramatic mindgame action, I'd recommend both, but keep in mind Liar Game drops the ball hard.
>>
>>158111451
>179cm
>54kg
light is beyond skelly tier
>>
>>158113731
I've heard a lot of good things about Monster recently from people that enjoyed Death Note, plan to watch that next.
If you haven't already I'd try watching Hannibal the TV series, a great story with an intelligent serial killer, beautiful scenery, symbolism, artistic murders and a good ending.
>>
>>158113936
Yeah, noticed that too. His bmi is like 16-17.
>>
File: slowpoke_pokemon.jpg (27KB, 600x655px) Image search: [Google]
slowpoke_pokemon.jpg
27KB, 600x655px
>>158111186
>Finished Death Note about half a month ago
In about 5 years you will watch one related to giants
>>
>>158111186
He was intelligent forma japanese highschool student standards, so he was veey good at standarized tests, that's not very intelligent.
>>
File: p (8)~01.jpg (314KB, 964x645px) Image search: [Google]
p (8)~01.jpg
314KB, 964x645px
>>
>>158115079
That's just incorrect, see the pic related here
>>158111451
His bedroom was also full of books so Light is incredibly well read. Before he found the note book he didn't do anything but read and study to train his mind. He got a perfect score in every subject, had helped the Japanese police help solve crimes from a young age and the ways he does things in the first episodes is incredibly smart and beautiful. He's also really cunning which requires talent and intelligence.
>>
>>158115079
>He was intelligent from a Japanese high school student standards
He was majorly more intelligent being not only at the top of his own class but every other with L being the only one at the same level. You also have to take in mind that Japan has an average intelligence quotient of 105 which is the third highest in the world.
Light must be somewhere around 170-190 which is almost unrealistic.
>>
>>158111186
The live action movie has a perfect ending.

L kills himself with the Death Note but makes the death happen at the maximum time limit and fakes his own death in order to trick Light.
Light gets caught and begs for Ryuk to kill the task force, at which point Ryuk writes Light's name in the Death Note.
L dies peacefully shortly after.
>>
>>158111990
Story requires Light to lose, because he made certain choices and story wouldn't make sense if he doesn't rip what he sowed. It can be argued that L's death was a wrong path for story to take, but, after that point it was mandatory for Light to lose. At the same time the way story was written after it isn't very good. Not in terms of general direction, but in terms of execution - characters, minute details. I bet that if story was written by a better writer, with the same end result, people would like the ending much more. Just whole "albino child prodigy commanding adults" in DN setting isn't very appealing. L was so appealing exactly because he was already young adult. And many other details like that. Also world of shinigamis and some other details leave holes in the story. It leaves impression that author either didn't or couldn't expand and improve story, but hooks were left behind and it really leaves bad aftertaste. Like making preview at the end of each episode and then never showing what was teased in previews.
>>
>>158111451
>This is exactly why It's stupid and unrealistic that he gets caught
No, he's got smarts but is easily provoked because he considers himself a god. It's actually the only way Death Note could've worked
>>
Light was stupid. He didn't realize that by attention whoring, he was leaving bread crumbs for investigators to discover his true identity.
>>
>>158111186

The reason Light gets crazier as the story goes on is because Light was ALWAYS like Kira.

Ryuk talks about dropping the note randomly but he also points out that a teenager is the perfect person to find the book. Still very idealistic and without too many responsibilities and he's got sufficient guts to use the thing.

Light has an incredibly heroic father and the tendency to believe that everything can be solved either through rationality or logic. Of course he'd use it to kill criminals. It would also make him obviously think he would be able to use it better than anyone else.

Death Note is a manga about how someone's true nature can be easily revealed when given power, not that power corrupts.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.