[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about Japan's unhealthy glamorization of high-rise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: garbage.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Can we talk about Japan's unhealthy glamorization of high-rise communist blocks and the absurdly decadent public structures in anime?

The architectural paradigms at work in anime for the last 2 decades seem to be the strong promotion of government-funded urban population centers and public structures to the exclusion of genuinely fresh design perspectives in terms of the "futuristic city" so many genres of anime spawn from.

It's a little annoying to me that any "fictional city" I come across in anime seems to operate on the ideal that a current city was razed and someone then let a single team of architects define every available open space with a single minimalist design, which seems far more analogous to communist trends of the 1970's than to modern-day city planning. There's no problem with imagining this in a fictional story, but it seems like it's all I see in anime these days. How can cute girls be so enthusiastic about living in places that seem so oppressive and brutalist?

I understand that art-directors and designers like to make the setting re-enforce the feeling of the story itself, and a lot of the exaggerated design is based on evoking a certain feeling, and of course there are many outliers, but i still think its an oddly overrepresented style and I'm disappointed studios aren't a little more creative.

I'd love to hear an actual anime/architecture expert's take on this
>>
>>157873765
>any "fictional city" I come across in anime seems to operate on the ideal that a current city was razed
I have something to tell you, buddy.
>>
Nice word salad. They do it because it's easy to draw, not because of some philosophy that anyone spent a moment thinking about.
>>
>>157873765
>>157873819
That's modelled after taiwanese rethugican apartments. No commies.
>>
>>157873765
>in anime?
>last 2 decades
It's not an anime thing, it's something that properly exists in Japan. Cheap blockshit is quickly built and leveled again. You have more than 120 or so million dudes in your tiny island nation and you need to make sure your way of putting a roof over their heads is practical. It's FUCKING cancer alright, I know all the shitty GDR Soviet blocks they put up here back in the day and it makes me vomit.
>>
>>157873765
Nice autism
>>
>>157873765
>Westerner attempting to be smart and injecting their own ideas into Nippon-culture
Sasuga anon
>>
File: 1469962662344.gif (802KB, 500x545px) Image search: [Google]
1469962662344.gif
802KB, 500x545px
>>157873765
Lots of people and little land available for construction.

Your post screams ignorant American. Not everyone lives in giant native-raped landmasses.
>>
>>157873765
Shaft confirmed for communists.
>>
File: TokyoApartmentComplexSMALL.jpg (252KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
TokyoApartmentComplexSMALL.jpg
252KB, 1024x768px
Because that's what urban Japan actually looks like. Why are you complaining about Japanese architecture being overrepresented in Japanese cartoons?
>>
>>157873765
That's what happens when they set the story in a city like tokyo, it's just realistic you autist.
>>
File: sodachibuilding.jpg (222KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
sodachibuilding.jpg
222KB, 800x900px
>>157873765
It's not an ideal city though, shaft most of the time makes the scenario based on photographs of real places.
>>
I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this annoying. Good on you OP.

That said, that's pretty much how urban JP looks. It's dreadful.
>>
>>157873765
Welcome to not-America. There's benefits to the U.S. being #1 GDP. You're seeing how the other 6.7+ billion people on this planet live.
>>
>>157873765
Clearly there needs to be an anime about anthropomorphized architectural style girls doing cute things to win you over.
>>
>>157875557
There's probably already a hentai of this somewhere.
>>
Yeah, it's almost like vast portions of an old city were burnt to the ground during you know, maybe the mid-40s, and then rebuilt during a massive economic boom during the 50s and 60s that desperately needed to house workers as fast and as cheaply as possible.
Just bizarre. Such a thing could never happen in real life.
>>
>>157875315
>Implying american cities aren't also ugly as sin
It's a fact that the only really good looking cities are old construction in places like Europe.
>>
Land sometimes shake over there, nobody die.
Rain fall and wind blow in America....
>>
Isn't the USA building the same mass production living space only horizontal?
Cheap homes for everyone, even the poor, even if it's made of cheap wood and falls apart the moment a storm hits.
>>
>>157875315
>poorly planned cities with ever-expanding roads but never-improving traffic
>masses of dilapidated single-family homes a stone's throw from city centers, will never be razed because politics
>virtually all new development is generic condos that exist solely for wealthy chinese to protect their dirty yuan from devaluation, and disgusting mcmansions
Sure feels good to be #1
>>
>>157873765
It's literally what Japan looks like you moron.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.