[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when protagonists were men? Why are current protagonists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: King Muscle.jpg (481KB, 800x742px) Image search: [Google]
King Muscle.jpg
481KB, 800x742px
Remember when protagonists were men?

Why are current protagonists such fuckboys?
>>
Japanese self-insert
>>
>>157866975
so people can relate
>>
Using Kinnikuman as your example is hilarious because he's a pitiful dumbass who only succeeds by being the main character, much like those other characters

Muscles don't make a man
>>
>>157866975
OP, Since when ultraman were men?
>>
File: Oh shit I'm sorry.jpg (24KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Oh shit I'm sorry.jpg
24KB, 320x240px
>>157867184
You mean to tell me Japanese people don't look like this?
>>
>>157866975
Nice generalization, fag.
>>
UL
TI
MATE

MUS
CLE
>>
>>157867184
Which is actually a problem.
Relatability, especially Japanese written relatability, is not a good for your story both in writing and it's marketability.
First and foremost you're alienating people outside your country, a good market to have, by making your audience try to relate to a society that's slowly dying out from overworking, low birthrates and low charisma/self esteem. Your biggest paying audience doesn't want to see Akira Toba be all nervous around girls for 100 chapters.
Second, while I generalized last point I don't think everyone in Japan is the sterotype I mentioned, so even in your own domestic market you're losing people who aren't pathetic losers made to just relate to other pathetic losers because pathetic characters don't do anything interesting.
Third. Look at some of the most popular characters in fiction. Superman. Goku. Luffy. Captain America. Batman. Flash. Iron Man.
Most of them are idealistic characters, characters we wish we could be and get absorbed into their stories and world. That's because they are escapist mediums, something to take away from the hustle and bustle of life and how shit it is, but also inspiring us to be something more.
That's not to say you can't just toss relatability aside and make a god character. You need some form of humanity to them.
Like Superman eating a pretzel from a street vendor or having coffee in the Batmobile with Bruce or offering him and Wonder Woman to go get Ice Cream. You can still make them relatable and still idealistic and thus entertaining and engaging.
And to top this tl'dr, know what series has a relatable MC? World's End Harem.
>>
>>157869732
>>157866975

Is this worth re-watching? I remember it being on toonami when I was a kid.
>>
>>157867233
No.
>>
>>157866975
I don't know why you're using a gag manga for your point, he was an Ultraman parody turned wrestler parody.
>>
File: 2013-04-29.jpg (407KB, 650x778px) Image search: [Google]
2013-04-29.jpg
407KB, 650x778px
>>157866975
they just gave up on trying to even match 1/4th the manliness of yesteryear.
>>
Go! Go! Muscle!
>>
>>157870138
while I get what you're saying its also not great to have this mentality with EVERY series; old Type-Moon did a good job of turning the self-insert trope on its head with Shiki and somewhat Shirou
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.