[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do subbers have to fuck up dialogue? There is a big difference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Why do subbers have to fuck up dialogue? There is a big difference between "hai" and "wakarimashita". I'm not sure of the exact connotations in Japanese, but if it's anything like English, saying "yes' and saying "I understand what you are saying" can potentially have very different meanings. For example, saying yes in answer to a command is stating that that you do intend to follow it, whereas saying that you understand can mean that you simply are cognizant of the meaning and thoughts conveyed in the speakers words, but are not necessarily acquiescing to their request.
>>
>>157728046
Just watch out for karma demons senpai
>>
If you know the difference why do you give a shit
>>
>>157728046
>I'm not sure of the exact connotations in Japanese, but if it's anything like English
Then don't propose to speak on it, let alone criticize the decisions of another who does.
>>
Learn japanese and watch the raws like a true patrician
>>
A lot of subbers aren't even native English speakers let alone Japanese
>>
>>157728046
I think any fansubber will tell you the same thing, effect over meaning. Anyways, translating 分かりました to either "Yes" or "I understand" depends on context, and also depends on preference. The former is a lot less stiff sounding in English, and the latter just is not used as much in natural English conversations. You lose the exact meaning but it provides better readability, and someone probably understands that "Yes" following the previous sentences means something like "Yeah, yeah, I get it."
But as another anon says, try translating or actually read Japanese before commenting on this stuff, it's all nuance.
>>
>>157728400
I'm not fluent, but I know that in this exact scene the character was trying to hide information while being as truthful, at least literally, as possible. So if she says "wakarimashita", she is definitely using her words to deceive the other characters while avoiding an outright lie. It's a pretty big part of this entire series and it's stupid of subbers to fuck with the dialogue. Yeah, no languages will ever have a perfect match up, but in this instance "I understand" is much closer to the exact meaning than "yes". I've seen it done other times too, and I usually just let it slide, but in this case it really is important that you give the closest meaning possible, not just any synonym.
>>
>>157728046
>There is a big difference between "hai" and "wakarimashita". I'm not sure of the exact connotations in Japanese
How did you write these two sentences next to each other without slapping yourself in the face?
>>
>I'm not sure of the exact connotations in Japanese, but if it's anything like English
Are you fucking baiting, or are you genuinely retarded? On any other day, I would type you an essay on why and how you are being a fucking idiot, but today, I am going to leave you be. Just know that you are unjustified in having your opinions.

Most fansubbers are not qualified to sub, and most pro-subbers localize instead of translate. There's your answer.
>>
>>157728046
aight senpai
but are you also aware that 「はい?」 can be used as an interrogative statement, meaning "what?", indicating a lack of understanding, and is frequently used in Japanese to construe misunderstandings in prose?
>>
>>157728156
>>157729444
>>157729479
When I say "I'm not sure of the exact connotations" I mean to be humble about the fact that I am not Japanese and as such cannot claim to be an expert regarding the social usage of their language in it's most intricate aspects, but I do have the basic knowledge of the literal meanings of their language and many of the ways in which words are used differently. I didn't mean "I don't know jack shit about these words", you dumb faggots. I guess I should have been more verbose about this because you seemed to interpret it as me saying "I have no idea what these words mean, but I think they should be used like this despite my complete lack of knowledge in this subject".
>>157729536
Yeah no shit.
>>
>>157730239
>I do have the basic knowledge of the literal meanings of their language
Got a TL expert here watch out
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.