[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"alternative" manga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0179.jpg (471KB, 1153x1636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0179.jpg
471KB, 1153x1636px
Is it all crap?
>>
>>157718663
At least it exists
>>
>>157718663
No.
>>
I only like stuff from guys like Suehiro Maruo. I've seen some japanese zines and they look like tumblr crap
>>
>>157719132
>guys like Suehiro Maruo
Meaning what, exactly?
>>
>>157719170
gory comics
>>
I guess no one reads the stuff.
>>
>>157720121
I read a bit (most of it doesn't get translated, and I don't speak nip), but it's not like you gave us much to discuss.
>>
>>157720121
Give me something scanlated and I'll read it and I'll tell you what I think of it.
>>
>>157718663
What's alternative manga even. Obscure lesser know manga or an anthology series like with that cover you posted. Looked it up and each of the coverarts have different styles and characters.
>>
>>157722109
Pretty much just obscure stuff not in the mainstream. Like the comics Ohta publications puts out or self published artsy things
>>
File: Angelnaut.jpg (71KB, 600x766px) Image search: [Google]
Angelnaut.jpg
71KB, 600x766px
>>157722553
I see, there is this one manga series I've been for the raws for years. Even made a request thread for it right here >>>/wsr/321633 it's a pain to see a series you might be interested in and you can't find any raws of it despite your countless searching.
>>
>>157722719
You might just want to buy it yourself eventually
>>
>>157722780
I would but I don't read Japanese that well. Maybe if I buy it I will scan it then see if anyone wants to translate it to English because no there hasn't been an English release for this series and there is never going to be.
>>
>>157722109
Not OP, but alternative manga generally refers to more niche/experimental stuff from smaller publishers, usually in demographics-less magazines like AX (which he posted), Garo, Manga Erotics F, etc. Just not being well-known obviously doesn't make something "alternative," or else random WSJ series from twenty years ago would be alternative. >>157722719 is from a mainstream magazine, for example.
>>
>>157724568
Yet it was never scanlated like that Dungeon manga made by the same mangaka.
>>
>>157724901
The vast majority of manga aren't scanlated.
>>
>>157724992
True, only the popular ones get scanlated or those that have anime associated with them.
>>
Garo is often either extremely good or extremely shit. There's no middle ground.

>>157724568
Shadow, Garo and other gekiga magazines had very specific targeted audiences and the rental book market. They did a lot of hardboiled stories, detective stories for late-teenage males as they tried to break the mould of the more juvenile comics of the age. The fact that it evolved into something more is only because of the nature of the diverse array of artists they eventually got a hold of.
>>
>>157726598
Also, gekiga certainly became known for the kind of hyper-violence normally associated with the likes of Nagai.
>>
File: Gogo_Monster_p000a.jpg (508KB, 1700x2350px) Image search: [Google]
Gogo_Monster_p000a.jpg
508KB, 1700x2350px
>>157718663
Does this count
>>
>>157726791
What makes someone an artist 'alternative'? Taiyou Matsumoto is incredibly well known in certain parts. Reasonably so in France as well. Anime adaptations, live actions. It used to be the case that there were certain artists that were simply not part of the mainstream, but now that's represented in large part by seinen and josei with their associated mainstream but not necessarily as popular magazines.
>>
>>157727031
I think of "alternative" more in terms of philosophy than in terms of popularity. Matsumoto's works may be comparatively well known, but his style is unquestionably outside of the "norm" for manga.
A western equivalent would be someone like Art Spiegelman. Even though Maus is one of the most well known and highly acclaimed graphic novels ever, most people would still consider it an "alternative comic" compared to something like DC/Marvel capeshit since it deviates so heavily from the more "pop" sensibilities of those brands.
>>
>>157727591
But at the same time, it's only alternative in the sense of comics from Japan, because his style is heavily influenced from his time in Europe. He used to have an incredibly traditional style prior. Personally I'm more interested in the diversity of the subject matter (or confrontational) as to whether or not it follows the mainstream.
>>
it doesn't get translated
elemhunter is sitting on tons of garo scans that one is touching
>>
>>157726598
>had very specific targeted audiences
I was referring to the formal tags of shounen/seinen/shoujo/josei/shounen-ai/etc., unless I'm wrong and Garo actually used those.
>>
File: 1475547239601.jpg (141KB, 640x898px) Image search: [Google]
1475547239601.jpg
141KB, 640x898px
I need more Sakabashira.
>>
Holy shit I never knew this kind of shit was a thing
What's a good Alternative Manga?
>inb4 /wsr/
Fuck off
>>
File: 1495599082311.png (31KB, 416x436px) Image search: [Google]
1495599082311.png
31KB, 416x436px
I think it's got to have neat stuff burred in there, but I haven't rally read much because it's all in moon runes and that probably won't change for a good while.

I mean, even something like NekoJiru which was insanely popular only has one volume translated, and the original underground compilation it was published in hasn't even been touched from a translation standpoint.

Almost makes me want to learn jap, but then again at this rate I'm sure by the time I studied enough to understand it well it machines will be translating everything anyways.
>>
>>157730146
That looks amazing.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.