[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Watching Anime on Inferior mediums like VHS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: box set.jpg (98KB, 500x704px) Image search: [Google]
box set.jpg
98KB, 500x704px
Thoughts on Watching Anime on Inferior mediums like VHS & Laserdisc?
>>
I'd watch a Lain VHS rip if there was one available on the internet.
>>
File: vhs tapes.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
vhs tapes.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>157545946

>Rip

VHS is an analogue format. You can copy it, but you can't "rip" things from tape. I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to hook up my VCR to a PC. I'd ask /g/ but they probably wouldn't know either.
>>
File: 6040181548_aa7c0a5d5b_b.jpg (671KB, 1024x664px) Image search: [Google]
6040181548_aa7c0a5d5b_b.jpg
671KB, 1024x664px
I hear anime use to be pretty expensive.
>>
File: 20160815_004612.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160815_004612.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
It's neat.
>>
File: VideoCaptureCard.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
VideoCaptureCard.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>157546045
>I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to hook up my VCR to a PC.

Something like this.
>>
>>157545946
Just watch the japanese dvd (r2) of Lain on a crt tv. Anime looks like it came out tomorrow. All the analogue video effects make for a unique experience.
Don't watch the bluray on crt though, they removed some of the filters and effects so it would transition well to lcd screens. Same goes for most shows that came out prior to y2k, particularly stuff like cowboy bebop and eva. Pristine reds, yellows, blues and neon-greens, with very clear lines, shading and animation quality that just doesn't exist anymore.
The only exception are bluray versions of kitty films classics like ranma and maison ikkoku, they're superior to the dvds.

But I digress, vhs versions of shows are only worth watching on a crt tv for the nostalgia factor if you used to watch a lot of tapes. Other than that, the inferior picture quality doesn't add to the experience. Also, an lcd monitor displaying video from a vhs tape carrier just makes the picture look like ass.
>>
>>157545853
Lain sucks regardless of what medium you watch it on.
>>
>>157548718

Too slow for you? You ave to be in the right mood to watch it, & have to watch it a few times for it to all sink in. It's good, but not for everybody. Give it another shot.
>>
>>157546234
Gromit is best boy of all time
>>
>>157546234
Aw yes, Wallace and Gromit my favorite animu.
>>
i got rid of all my VHS stuff years ago, except for my anime. I have a copy of Akira on every format except Laserdisc, and I fully intend to get that some day.

>>157546234
You know how you can get half a series or an entire series for about $30? Back in the day, you'd get two episodes for about the same price or more. And up until the mid-90s, all you'd get were OVAs and movies. If you wanted an entire series, you had to go to some douchebag with an overinflated opinion of himself because he had all of Ranma 1/2 subtitled and he was the only guy with the setup to copy it for you.
>>
>>157545853
Well, Laserdisc isn't exactly an inferior medium depending on your standards.

I've thought in the past about how anime on VHS affects the watching/listening experience. I think if the VHS isn't degraded, the oversaturated colors and blurring can make anime look quite good. I have fond memories of watching anime on VHS or early television which essentially had the same quality.
>>
>>157552285
>I have a copy of Akira on every format except Laserdisc, and I fully intend to get that some day.
Sneaking into my brother's room to steal his VHS of Akira at 2 in the morning because it was the only way I could watch it was my first experience with non-Toonami anime. Good times.
>>
>>157555421
I saw it when I was 10. It was shown on Brit TV back in 1990 on a shitty black and white hand me down TV. Shit changed my life.
>>
It must've been around 1998, on our family computer I found a grainy 3 minute video of a DBZ episode from Namek saga. It was of Krillin and Gohan flying around and Krillin was all pissed about something. It was in the original Jap voices, and it wasn't hard subbed so I couldn't figure out how to get the subtitles working because I was probably five? Probably the first time I ever heard a non-dub anime.
My brother would get a box of floppy disks every week with anime from his friend down the road because he was too scared to download them himself. Guess he would stitch them together with subs or something. Kind of mad he would never let me watch them with him, but whatever.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.