[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>first shinkai movie I've ever watched >got the one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 7

File: thumb-1920-742320.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-1920-742320.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>first shinkai movie I've ever watched
>got the one with the good ending

Fuck yes, thank you Jesus Lord Almighty. I wouldn't be able to handle if it ended like 5 cm.

Also, it's pretty funny how some people in the theater stayed until the end of the credits,
thinking there will be an after-credit scene.
Fucking Marvel man.
>>
>>157483124
>Also, it's pretty funny how some people in the theater stayed until the end of the credits
You're just a peasant, huh?
>>
>Marvel invented C-Parts
Fucking hell.
>>
You paid for the whole film, so you might as well get your money's worth.
>>
>>157483124
>first shinkai movie I've ever watched
>marvel invented after-credit scenes
Please.
>>
>>157483124
No, they stayed for the goddamn gorgeous ending song.
>>
>>157483655
Well, they popularized it at the very least.
>>
>>157483740
They could stay just to contemplate it all.

The folks beside me actually clapped at the credits then stayed.
>>
>>157483629
I paid like two dollars to watch it.
>>
Glad this movie did so well. Well done pure love shit is so rare these days in animu.
>>
>>157484410
Waiting for Koe no Katachi to air here.
>>
>>157484452
Shame they never brought that WW2 drama here. I would love to watch that also after reading the manga.
>>
>already aired for like two weeks
>only one audi room still plays it
>still jam packed with people

I can understand. I want to watch it again now.
>>
>>157483124
>Also, it's pretty funny how some people in the theater stayed until the end of the credits,
>thinking there will be an after-credit scene.

>implying they didn’t stay to ponder the feelings the film left them with
>>
>>157486804
I can't remember the last movie that had that effect at the end.

Probably because this movie is really heavy on your feelings at the end and it just ends with that scene without a Hollywood montage of the two hugging, kissing, marrying, and then having a family.
>>
>>157486870
>a Hollywood montage of the two hugging, kissing, marrying, and then having a family.

My first thought was people would write the shit about that in doujins and fanfictions
>>
>>157486870
When I saw it back in January, my chest felt like it was going to burst. I’ve never experienced anything quite like it.
>>
>>157487118
Fuck me that staircase near miss ruse. It's not enough that he did it once. He had to do it twice.

Shinkai, you motherfucker.
>>
Who else came into the movie expecting the comet being the one that granted them their body-swapping power? I got that impression from the synopsis so when they disconnected I thought it was because the comet was already gone.

So imagine my surprise when the reveal happened. I did not expect that at all. I thought it would just be like 5 cm where the rest of the movie would be them trying to find each other.

Though thinking about it, said plot wouldn't make sense since they could just call each other.
>>
File: 54654.png (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
54654.png
7KB, 400x400px
>>157483124
>Watch the movie six times in six different theaters.
>less than a dozen people watching each time

I guess I'm in ultra normie country.
>>
>>157487118
I got that feeling too. Up until the ending moments I was feeling like I was about to cry but then when the stair thing happened I was flooded with such relief and happiness. Shinkai really did it right this time.
>>
>>157487389
Indonesia has a lot of anime fans.
Pretty sure most of it not all watching with me know the culture somewhat. A guy beside me pointed out to his friend when Aoi Yuuki and Kana Hanazawa's name popped out in the credits.
>>
>>157483124
In Japan they applaud when the movie is finished and always stay until the credits are over. Everyone and every movie.

Maybe they were just doing it Nippon style
>>
>>157488036
Would've dropped my rating if it ended like 5 cm desu
>>
>>157488123
Even for the shitty movies?
>>
>>157488150
I would have been so angry if that happened. 5cm/s needed to end like it did because of the premise. If Kimi no Na wa didn't have a happy ending it would have been wasted potential.
>>
>>157488260
The theme of the movie is bonds beyond time and space so a happy ending where they reunited by pure chance can fit.
>>
>>157488166
Even
>>
>>157488303
Needed to fit. The complexity of emotion at the ending was something I haven't experienced in a long time. The ending had to be the way it was in order to experience the catharsis.
>>
How did this even become so popular? Everybody says they seen it 5 times at least. Is it babby's first anime?
>>
>>157488525
It's a pretty entry level date movie with an emotionally appealing experience. I'm not a newfag to anime because I've been a NEET for six years and when I'm not shitposting on /a/ I'm most likely watching anime or reading manga. Not trying to blog just providing my bona fides. I was still affected by this movie deeply.
>>
>>157487338

You can still have it so they're in different dimensions so callings one phone doesn't call the other. Then it's basically Keit-Ai.
>>
>>157483124
So you're telling me this one has a conclusive, concrete good ending?
Because I've been wanting to watch the movie for a while but refrained from doing so because I like Shinkai's pretentious, bittersweet open-ended piece of crap stories as much as I like getting hit in the balls with a metal bat.
>>
>>157488838
Go watch it, man. You'll be enthralled by the ending.
>>
>>157484477
think we're getting that in august
>>
>>157488838
See it, you'll be happy
>>
>>157488838

It's not like Shinkai's other works. It's more of an adventure story.
>>
File: 1492403643833.jpg (43KB, 322x605px) Image search: [Google]
1492403643833.jpg
43KB, 322x605px
>>157483124
>>first shinkai movie I've ever watched
>wouldn't be able to handle if it ended like 5 cm.
>>
>>157488850
No, really.
I hate bittersweet open-ended shit like 5 cm/s and Garden of words with passion.
That's why I decided to watch Koe no Katachi instead of this film.
Because I had already read the manga and the ending was happy and somewhat conclusive.
>>
>>157488959
anon was probably spoiled, 5 cm ending is pretty infamous
>>
>>157488996
I'm not playing a ruse or a trick on you, friendo. It really is good and the ending is vastly different from most of Shikai's movies.
>>
>>157488915
children who chase lost voices though.
>>157488838
it has a happy end but it's still left open to the audiences interpretation
>>157488996
>Koe no Katachi
I read the manga and that has a really poor ending
>>
Gentlemen, how do we make a love story about a boy and a girl who ride trains going in opposite direction and only see each other for 2 seconds a day (going there and back again)?
It started in middle school and went on in high school, college and eventually work.
They only see each other on trains going in opposite directions.

They meet at the station at the end.
>>
>>157489135
>children who chase lost voices though.

That was shit so don't really consider that anything.
>>
>>157488869
Hope my country gets it too.

It's pretty shitty how you have to go to the big cities to watch anime movies in my country and since I'm working at a small city now I gotta take a holiday to see them.
>>
>>157488959
>>157489000
Yeah, it's like the spoiler that Darth Vader is Luke's father.
>>
You know, this time travel body swapping saving each other thing reminds me of Ever 12. It even stars a boy and a girl.

Only this time it actually has a proper ending.
>>
>>157483124
I just finished this. I went in expecting great things with all the praise it got and it delivered.
My fucking heart during that entire post-timeskip part, holy shit.
>>
>Shinkai finally using his writing talent to deliver a love story that doesn't end in tragedy

Maybe it's him aging. He said after this he also wanted to make another happy and heartwarming movie.
>>
>>157492374
I just hope this isn't a one-hit wonder by him.

Even Shinkai doesn't feel comfortable with all the praise this movie is getting. And when people start comparing him with his senpai Miyazaki, he starts freaking out. He's still used to his status as that semi-niche movie director, not a mainstream one.
>>
>>157492374

That's the interesting part, that Shinkai seems to completely turn a 180 in Your Name. I mean, in and of itself, rosy nostalgia isn't a bad thing. It could give you firm values that you base your relationships on, it could drive you to live in a more determined way. The idea that adult relationships are always going to be riddled with melodramatic complications isn't always quite true, and you can deal with issues like that while having integrity. There's even a word for it, Natsukashii, that loving feeling of nostalgia when you think of times past.

In interviews, Shinkai has always said his movies were about loss. And learning to move on from losing something that matters to you, and find meaning in accepting the loss. But with the earthquake in 2011, that forced him to re-evaluate his mindset. If Takaki knew that everyone in Tokyo would die the next day, I have a feeling he wouldn't just walk on by.

And in Japan, too often do people give up on things anyways. The whole Shikata ga Nai phrase seems to sum up a large part of the personal philosophy. Things that matter to people, passions and lovers and everything else, get tossed away because it's not convenient for the culture or the workplace or whatever. And Shinkai, now, is railing against that. Both leads in Kimi were in Takaki situations by the end of the movie. They were moving forward, but clinging to ideals of the past. And here, it's rewarded. Shinkai is saying if you stay true to yourself and know what you want, and proactively chase it, life will be worth living. Don't accept loss and just move on, Don't be Takaki. Claw at fate until your hands blister, and never give up.

For a generation of disaffected kids, and, well, adults, who feel their country is in decline, it's very powerful. That's the real reason the movie was so popular, nothing to do with normie bait.

And you know, after like a dozen movies about losing lovers, it's refreshing to see the guy finally change his mind.
>>
>Koe no Katachi gets compared to this every day

Haven't watched that but if it's as good as people say it is, then why must it come out so close to this? Great romance movies are pretty rare after all. You look at shonenshit and shoujoshit and all you get are shitty romances.
>>
>>157488150
Read the manga Shinkai wrote to go with the movie. Then you will realize that the movie was completely tame in comparison and he has some kind of complex with making people suffer.
>>
>>157492672
>people are saying that Koe no Katachi is better because it tackles real issues like bullying

Hoo boy here we go.
>>
>>157492629
Reminds me of Persona 5 where it's one big middle finger to "Shikata ga Nai"
>>
>>157492897
It's interesting to see how that game is a power fantasy to fix society while we have a boom of escapist fantasy to another world and shit. Two responses to the same problem.
>>
>>157492629
Hey, fuck you.
Don't pasta what I wrote last thread. I don't want to be a meme.

>>157488915
Eh, not quite. To call this Sekai-kei is a stretch, but there are certainly more undercurrents than an adventure story - the best comparison I could make is, like, Titanic.

Hoshi no o was garbage though.
>>
>>157493245
>Hey, fuck you.
>Don't pasta what I wrote last thread. I don't want to be a meme.
I meant it with respect. I think it's well-written. Apologies for any offense.
>>
>>157493245
>Don't pasta what I wrote last thread. I don't want to be a meme.

Your post is great but yeah, don't want it to become a pasta too.
>>
>my country airs it subbed

Thank Jesus.
>>
Did the seiyuu for the female protag voice a Ghibli heroine? I swear her voice sounds familiar.
>>
>>157493331
>>157493351
Now I'd probably temper it a bit though. I don't think Shinkai is just purely saying chase your dreams - Unlike Takaki the two had active social lives, good careers, etc - they weren't completely depressed or anything. It's not, "abandon everything for your dream" sort of thing, more like "Chase your dream, but don't let it consume you". You can chase your vision, and be realistic, at the same time. Although there's definitely less focus on the aspect of temperance.

Actually, the epilogue to 5cm/s is a nice parallel. The surfer girl is well adjusted, has friends, and a nice job - but still deeply in love with Takaki. She goes to Tokyo to search for him, and they meet again.

Funnily enough, that was published in 2011 too - the year of the Earthquake.

But there's certainly a distinction between passion and nostalgia that is self-destructive, and ones that pave the way for the future. Like Taki says in the interviews, he wants to design buildings and towns that leave a sense of Natsukashii and cozy memories behind, no doubt inspired by his time in Rurual Japan.
>>
>>157493654
In short, don't abandon your dreams.
>>
>>157483124
Holy shit kill yourself dude.
>>
Is there any words on what Shinkai will work on next?
>>
>>157494058
Not yet. He wants it to be out three to five years from now though.
>>
Is the side story thing translated yet? Something Earthbound if I'm not mistaken?
>>
>that moment when the scene and the music abruptly change when the twilight ended

Biggest fucking blueball. You're conditioned to believe they'll finish writing their messages before it ends but nope, it just ends midway abruptly.
>>
I find it funny that for people who don't really know Shinkai they may find the ending disappointing while for people who know him they all cry tears of joy of him delivering a happy ending for once.
>>
>>157495875
Yeah, the ending is more significant for people who get their hearts torn by multiple Shinkai movies.
>>
File: 1478608152048.jpg (37KB, 449x546px) Image search: [Google]
1478608152048.jpg
37KB, 449x546px
I finished this movie recently and those feelings, man.

I used to hate Shinkai and his faggy movies but this almost made me cry. Am I becoming a faggot or Shinkai finally git gud?
>>
>>157496100
I dunno man. This is my first Shinkai movie and I don't know if his other movies really immerse you to the protagonist' struggle this well.

I've read a post here that said that this is different from his other works because it has humor and gags before hitting you with the drama.
>>
>>157496100
>Am I becoming a faggot or Shinkai finally git gud?
Why not both?
>>
>girl becomes a tomboy
>suddenly becomes popular

Fucking submissive beta males.
>>
>>157494094

Would be cool if we got a cameo from the Your Name couple, in the next movie.

Also my copy of the light novel just shipped from Amazon. It's arriving on Tuesday with my copy of Underwater Ray Romano Mask of Truth for the Vita.
>>
>>157484452
bds are aready out and subbed
>>
>>157495875
>>157495912
The ending was the biggest bait. It's almost identical to 5cm/s, with the montage, the trains, and the walking past one another on the stairs. In the novel they never do, they just see one another and immediately ask. But in the movie it's designed to make you doubt it for a second.

>>157496100
>>157496153
>>157496157

Shinkai finally got gud. All his other movies were, IMO, very unimpressive.
>>
>>157496451
>Underwater Ray Romano Mask of Truth for the Vita

The sequel?
>>
>>157496920
Oh really?

Damn, I really want to watch it on theaters. It's not the same watching it on your PC.
>>
>>157496451
>light novel

Translated?
>>
File: chibiha goof.jpg (50KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
chibiha goof.jpg
50KB, 564x564px
>>157487338
In some sense though, the comet did grant them the bodyswitching because Mitsuha made a wish upon the star to become a Tokyo boy in her next life. And like most vaguely-worded wishes, the comet decides to chip off a block to land on her village.
>>
>>157496981
>In the novel they never do, they just see one another and immediately ask. But in the movie it's designed to make you doubt it for a second.

Never watched 5 cm but I already knew about how in the end two just missed each other by not looking before it's too late. So yeah, I got baited hard.

Real fucking glad I didn't bother entering any of the threads here so I didn't get spoiled. My experience is 100% pure.
>>
>>157497644
I think the most prominent theory is that the body swapping thing is a gift granted by her god to her bloodlines ever since 1200 years ago when the first Tiamat stroke, just so she and her village could avoid the disaster. Her mother and grandma both had the ability when they were young after all.

I wondered if her mother bodyswapped with her father, now that I thought about it.
>>
>>157497644
How bad would this movie become if it were The Wishmaster: animu edition?
>>
>>157497780
That's a good reason why the fire incident that burned down all of the village's records could become more relevant. There, it should've been written about the meteor or the bodyswapping.

Wasn't there a drawing of the comet in the god cave too that Taki looked before he fell down?
>>
>>157497788
>The Wishmaster

What's that?
>>
>>157497891
Sorry. I guess I did get off topic. It an old 90s horror movie about a djinn that grants you wishes but they often kill you in the end. I piggybacked off of the wish comment because my mind immediately went to The Wishmaster after thinking about it.
>>
>>157497404

Sorry, I meant Mask of Deception

>>157497454

Yeah, I preordered it after I saw the movie, didn't realize it was coming out this month though.

People say that the manga expands on somethings so I might get that too.
>>
>>157496222
tomboys are for great to convince to put on cute dresses while embarrassed.

its kawaii af
>>
File: mitsuha jiiiii.webm (490KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha jiiiii.webm
490KB, 1280x688px
Mitsuha is too sweet of a cinnamon bun for reality to handle.
>>
>>157484452
Don't go in expecting Shinkai level depth or entertainment. That's what the manga it was based on is for.
>>
File: 1476839327300.jpg (36KB, 490x395px) Image search: [Google]
1476839327300.jpg
36KB, 490x395px
>>157498329
Agreed.
>>
Is it gay to want to make out with Mitsuha while she's in Taki's body?
She's so cute & feminine!
>>
>>157501667
>she
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.