[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do bd rips for older anime look better than bd releases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

Why do bd rips for older anime look better than bd releases for newer anime?
>>
>>
I would guess art-style and artists getting the time they need and not being overworked.
>>
>>157389839
Depends heavily on which you're talking about. There are some pretty terrible BD transfers out there.
>>157390380
Pretty sure he's talking about the technical side of it, or else there'd be no reason to specify BDs. Regardless, animators have been overworked for literally the entire history of anime.
>>
>>157390380
That could definitely be it. I know there are a lot of newer anime that have great bd releases (pic related), but I find it weird that a lot of them look mediocre. Not
>>
I wish things were still animated by hand like back then.
Things looked so much better
>>
Something something old anime was shot in cels which have a much higher native resolution than today's digital shit which is upscaled 640p.
>>
>>157390825
OP here, things are still drawn by hand, animators just don't use cel shading any more.
>>157390605
Yea, I'm talking about the technical side of things. Don't get me wrong, there some good BD transfers for newer anime, but most just look mediocre. Maybe I just haven't watched an old anime with a shit BD transfer yet.
>>
>>157391549
>animators just don't use cel shading any more

such a shame
>>
>>157389839
Cells can be digitalised multiple times (every time with better technology), so every time a series is "remastered" it will look better (until the original tapes/cell start to degrade beyond repair)
Also cells as all analog mediums add distortion and most of the time that distortion is enjoyable.
>>
File: 1493345131626.jpg (24KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493345131626.jpg
24KB, 720x480px
>>157389839
There's a few reasons. First, the style is simply more detailed. More time and effort was put into anime back then and it shows. This is made even better by the fact that these shows can be remastered in analog, instead of shows today that are rendered in 720p or 1080p and would need to be digitally upscaled. Especially egregious are the early digital anime that were done only in 720p or even 480 that can't be improved upon. Pic very much related for awesome BD remasters.
>>
>>157389839
A good BD transfer of a show from 16mm generally has more to work with than a modern series. A lot of shows still aren't even mastered at 1920x1080, until relatively recently a lot of digital shows didn't even hit 720p.
Plus high detail scans of film just have a nice aesthetic to them.
>>
>>157389839
it's about the film they were shot on compared to digital shit today
>>
>>157389839
35mm film which can revolve up to a 4K image with a decent enough scanner.
>>
>>157392883
35mm stock wasn't cheap, most anime from the era was on 16mm. A few were even on 8mm, they tended to be exceedingly early and/or cheap.
>>
>>157389839
Line weight was more prevalent back then since it was drawn entirely by hand. Except for a few higher budget shows, the weight is relatively the same for everything and therefore the art looks bland and 1 dimensional.
>>
>>157389839
Because digital has not been perfected yet and most of the time it looks lifeless and bland. Let's remember that it took like 25 years for cel to reach a good level. Digital improves every year I think but the problem is that technology can hold it back too it's not only a human thing, compare anime from this season to similar anime from early 2000's and 2010-11. They're slowly getting better at it, they're slowly getting more used to the tools they have and there's new/different styles being made.
>>
>>157392922
true true, there is probably only a hand full of 35mm mastered anime out there during mid 90s before the switch to digital.

I wish Tokyo Laboratory and members of the production committee of certain titles weren't so stingy and release some blu-ray remaster already.

Would love to see HxH (1999) and Slayers in 1080p or higher.
>>
It's because old BDs are made directly from film instead of digital masters. Does /a/ really not know this?

Also film format really matters. 35mm = 4k, 16mm = 1080 roughly, while digital still largely uses 720. Compare a BD for something like Gundam F91 to Idol Densetsu Eriko.
>>
>>157393005
I actually prefer shows from the 2000s, it still looked pretty good to me. Now it's all too dull and soulless.
>>
Because you have a boner for grain.
>>
>>157392754
...is there an American Outlaw Star BD available? Because I fucking need it.
>>
>>157390380
>I would guess art-style
yup
>artists getting the time they need and not being overworked.
probably not. In an interview with Hayao Miyazaki, he says that back then people used to work in almost sweatshop like conditions. It's more like they have a lot less manpower, plus almost all anime these days have a moe artstyle. Shit doesn't require as much detail or realism.
>>
Just rewatched some Yu Yu Hakusho on my blurays yesterday on my friend's good TV and it looked wonderful.
>>157393318
They're available for pre-order.
>>
>>157393376
"Moe" isn't an art style. Anyway, the ratio of shows with a simple and cute art style compared to nowadays is pretty much the same.
>>
>>157393238
Yeah, anime peaked in the mid-late 2000s. Not sure what the fuck happened after 2013.
>>
>>157393462
It stayed the same quality-wise but stopped appealing to you as much.
>>
>>157391549
You mean cel animation. Cel shading is a technique to make 3d animation look like cel animation.
>>
>>157392922
Which shows were even done in 35 mm? The only thing I can think of are the G Gundam openings
>>
Is there a list of all anime released on Blu-rays? I'm looking for more that I haven't seen but it's really hard to find anything.
>>
anime will never be as high a quality as cowboy bebop again and you're deluded if you deny this
>>
File: 002.jpg (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
172KB, 1920x1080px
>>157389839
that's beautiful desu
>>
oh my ga
>>
>>157394728
Everyone's opinion, as long as it's sincere, is equally valid so no, someone having a reason to believe otherwise isn't deluded.
>>
>>157395039
>everyone's opinion is equally valid
this is incorrect and you're fucking deluded
>>
>>157389839
Because you're cherrypicking a Sunrise anime and comparing them to modern non-Sunrise anime.
>>
>>157395058
Excellent counter, champ.
>>
>>157389839
because Cell coloring is fucking superior
>>
>>157395080
my opinion is worth more than yours because I'm not stupid enough to believe in such ridiculous egalitarian falsehoods.
If you can agree that one person can be above another in any way you are admitting to hierarchy of opinions as well.
>>
>>157395119
Cell coloring is actually inferior to digital in every possible measurable way.
>>
>>157389839
>>157390020
WHERE'S THE GRAIN?
>>
>>157395131
So basically, you want to have your opinions be "right" and any ideology that takes that from you is bad. Got it.
>>
>>157395259
No, I'm right because I'm superior to you. I'm genetically different, if you will.
>>
>>157395272
Epic.
>>
>>157392754
>Outlaw Star blu ray - 1 seed 0 leech
>Outlaw Star de-grained - enough to download fast
Then nyaa dies anyway. Kill me. The de-grained version was super pretty regardless, but i hate that filtered look. Made the characters look semi-digital and the backgrounds still grainy and delicious.
>>
>>157389839

I can make a nice wallpaper with that pic
>>
>>157395272
>>157395259
>>157395131
>>157395080
>>157395058
Where the do you guys come from? Seriously this type of arguing is common now and it is stupid shit. I am serious i want to know.
>my opinion is worth more than yours because I'm not stupid enough to believe in such ridiculous egalitarian falsehoods.
If you can agree that one person can be above another in any way you are admitting to hierarchy of opinions as well.
It took you guys really long to say fucking nothing.
>>
>>157395386
This is getting meta lads
>>
>>157395291
If you want to watch it the way its meant to be seen you should only watch it on VHS using whatever low spec TV most people had at the time.
>>
>>157395430
>not having it narrated to you by an old Navajo in a teepee on an ayahuasca trip while smoking tobacco out of a pipe and drinking firewater

Pleb
>>
>>157395386
you don't seem to understand, your opinion is completely worthless and this inane comment is pointless because it's worth is absolute zero due to your standing in relation to me, the unique one. I own you.
>>
>>157391920
You seem to be confusing animation cels and the film master.
>>
Early 00s anime looks terrible on BD. It's just upscaled garbage because studios lost all their source files.
>>
>>157389839
Cel animation >>> digital dogshit
>>
File: 1495192478387 copy.jpg (402KB, 1448x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495192478387 copy.jpg
402KB, 1448x1080px
higher fidelity in general
actually painted backgrounds (come with an inherent texture that digital backgrounds often lack)
obviously the drawings in the best works being way more detailed than animation today is also a factor

but something that bothers me a lot which people rarely pick up on is that digital animation has a broad colour range, and they'll often go crazy with it. Higher contrast, wacky colour palettes. Anime nowadays often feels way too bright to me. With the limitations of paints that are available and the effect film has on colour, any given image will invariably look more cohesive than if the same thing was produced today.
>>
>>157395962
>drawings in the best works being way more detailed than animation today
I think that's only the case for mechanical animation, not for characters. It varies a lot in that case and these days character designs are more detailed on average according to veteran animators. Honestly I'd like to see designs be more animation-friendly but in the end it depends on the tastes and preferences of the majority.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.