[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: movie.0.jpg (196KB, 795x1024px) Image search: [Google]
movie.0.jpg
196KB, 795x1024px
Just got back from a screening of this at my local movie theater. I'd watched the show many years ago, but I'd never seen the movie.

Has anyone seen it, what were your thoughts? Personally I found it to be pretty disappointing. The visuals and music are great, but the story is just not that great. After the very satisfying and melancholy ending the show gets to just go back into the middle of the show needed to come up with a better adventure than this. It all felt so pedestrian, Vincent isn't a memorable villain at all and he just wants to blow up the whole world because he's insane? That's not an interesting enough motive. The action was nice, but so much of it just felt like they wanted an excuse to have some action, like when Spike gets into the dogfight with the army for literally no reason. And of course there's no tension, since we know how the show ends we know that all the heroes make it out alive, mars doesn't get destroyed, and they wont get the bounty.

IDK, what did you guys think?
>>
Considering how high-stakes some actual episodes got I couldn't have expected anything other than a feature-length sidestory.

It was exactly what I expected and I really like it, just not as much as most of the show's two-parters.
>>
>>157384875
Anime movies based on series are typically just long filler, like Trigun Badlands Rumble. They don't want to tell a story that audiences need to know the series to understand, so they just waste their time.
>>
have a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT6u0bE6vTw
>>
>>157385170
just gotta
get through the door
>>
I wish they could've kept the name as "Knockin on Heaven's Door". I wish Olivia wasn't in in the film at all and that Faye got to either show more cunning or somehow show her throwing more weight around (she doesn't do much in the series after the movie is set, so she should've had one more time to shine). I agree that Vincent isn't particularly memorable, and while I like the War lore, Gren is just more interesting.

It seems to have resided itself to being "one long episode" and in that sense, seems like this immediately stifled creative ideas and plots that they could've found a way to edit in and work with the show, or impart on new characters.

Olivia being the Spike to Vincent's Viscous was just really boring. Spike should've interacted with a character that showed being caught up in a deathwish is pointless, or something to actually rustle his jimmies other than "pretty girl is in over her head". Maybe that's Un-Spike like, but there was literally no risks in storytelling with this. Enjoyable, not insulting to the series, but certainly not included when people talk Bebop.
>>
>>157385352
>Spike should've interacted with a character that showed being caught up in a deathwish is pointless
That was Vincent. Or Rashid, depending on how you read your own sentence.
>>
>>157385498
But Vincent being cold-blooded really ruined it. He was not dynamic enough for it to work. You have a point with Rashid. I did enjoy him.
>>
File: tumblr_nercl34j5s1sqr7kvo1_500.gif (2MB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nercl34j5s1sqr7kvo1_500.gif
2MB, 500x269px
Pound for pound the best anime action movie of all time.
>>
>>157386623
I really loved this part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEeQ-vGrgY

him pulling the grenade like that was badass as fuck, and when I was watching it I thought they were just going to have him allah ackbar right there. The grenade goes off and the train explodes, but apparently he escapes without a scratch and its never explained how.

Just sloppy writing.
>>
>>157386895
Not "sloppy", just "lazy". When I first saw the film, I assumed reflexively that he was actually dead, until Jet said something about 'going after him' like 20 minutes after the grenade. If all that were different was that there'd been a black dot descending from the train in the background as it exploded, I'd have been satisfied.
>>
>>157384875

One of the legitimately last times I thoroughly enjoyed anime anything movie or tv series.
>>
>>157384875
Despite the appealing visuals, it was basically just one big episode. Sort of inevitable, unfortunately; they couldn't really do something post the events of the TV series for obvious reasons. What would have been interesting is if they had had the balls to go back and do something from before the TV series, but then you wouldn't have had all the characters you know and love, so I guess they just decided to play it safe.
>>
>>157384875
I watch it every Halloween and think it's one of the best parts of the franchise. Totally disagree with you on Vincent, he's supposed to be a direct foil to Spike and really illuminates a lot of what Spike's about.
>>
>>157385352
I liked Electra's character way better than "extra baggage" Faye and "plot device" Julia. It probably would have made more sense to forego her and put more focus on an existing female protagonist, but I liked her and especially liked her dynamic with Spike- giving him someone he could really relate to on a deeper level. I almost feel as though it'd be better to have just expanded on her and Vincent so he's not such a one-dimensional villain and she's not just a one-shot. There was some real opportunity to build on Spike's character with her, but it fell short since she was exclusive to the movie.

>>157390742
>I watch it every Halloween and think it's one of the best parts of the franchise.
Same.
>>
File: 1453086681658.png (270KB, 464x395px) Image search: [Google]
1453086681658.png
270KB, 464x395px
It was like a really long episode with extra good animation. Good shit.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.