[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>get halfway through reading manga >translation company

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 1471365078572.jpg (32KB, 501x382px) Image search: [Google]
1471365078572.jpg
32KB, 501x382px
>get halfway through reading manga
>translation company went bust and no plans to continue the rest
What can I do in this situation or how much would it be to privately hire someone to translate it?
>>
name it.
>>
>>157344520
Chronicles of the cursed sword, even looked around online for translation groups but there's been like one chapter done in years
>>
$1-2 per page is normal for commissions.
>>
>>157344700
Hmm I think theres like 10-15 volumes remaining so this could get quite pricey then, also timing would be an issue. Would be nice if there was a group for it though
>>
>>157344830
Why not learn Japanese rather than rely on others to do things for you?
>>
>>157344173
>find manga about stuff you like
>it ended in Japan
>translator just make summary about the rest of the chapter without translating it
Im still waiting dear Wizard's Soul
>>
Jigoku no Alice...
>>
>>157344173
Learn Jap and translate it yourself. Or just read it in Jap I guess if you don't want to be altruistic.
>>
If I weren't broke, both economically and morally speaking, I'd hire someone to translate all what's remaining of Birdy the Mighty.
>>
File: qwan_1063.jpg (65KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
qwan_1063.jpg
65KB, 329x500px
>tokyopop didnt even finish the series

Such waste 2bh. It was really good tho
>>
>>157345794
Yeah, this is what I've been having to do when I realized it would be too costly to pay someone to translate dropped manga I liked

Somehow, everyone will translate a random multitude of manga for free but once they know you want it, there's a big price...that said, if I can learn Japanese properly, then in a few years I may try to translate some of those manga that got me into learning Japanese in the first place
>>
>>157349504
Just do what I do fellow poorfag, tell yourself that in another decade or so AI will be able to translate Jap into English in a way that's as least as intelligible as the half-assed Scanlators of the early 2000s.

Don't know if that's true, but pretending it is makes me feel better at least.
>>
>>157344700
>$1-2 per page is normal for commissions.
are you serious?

that's a lot of money, from a translator perspective
>>
>>157349893
>then in a few years
You can read most VN/manga with just kana/core kanji in less than a year.
>>
Translating is easy, desu

But typesetting or synchronizing the subs is such a pain the ass
>>
File: 1473883285559.jpg (27KB, 480x519px) Image search: [Google]
1473883285559.jpg
27KB, 480x519px
>>157349969
Can you tell me more about that sir.?
>>
>>157350465
There's a guide on /jp/ on how to get started.
>>
>>157344173
Learn Japanese.
>>
>>157344672
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=2198
Information on groups that were translating it. I'll let you look through them to see if any finished, but there's your head start.
>>
>>157350465
not the previous guy, but the alphabet is pretty straight forward. Just google hiragana and katakana. The grammar and kanji were the toughest parts to learn from my experience. But everyone learns differently
>>
File: 1494962667463.jpg (204KB, 750x740px) Image search: [Google]
1494962667463.jpg
204KB, 750x740px
>>157350545
Oh then thank you for the guide.you see bro ive been wanting to read that one manga.the translator dropped it though.so since then ive been searching the same manga that the translator havent drop it yet.but its just not...right.so ive been wanting to learn japanese.but i dont know where to start.off course all of this is a lie.i actually wanna learn japanese so i could read all the trap hentai that havent been translate yet.so

TLDR : thanks dear sir.
>>
>>157350465
What does moot stand for?
>>
>>157350465
i tried that i dropped it because i lack motivation and a will to live but you will need to be constant and a lot of motivation .
>>
>>157349974
Translating is more mentally stressful but, yeah, it's not that intensive when it comes to labor.

Timing the subs isn't that hard, just tedious and OCD-triggering.

Typesetting really depends how much is expected. Text replacement in the bubble with the original Japanese SFX/onomatopoeia intact would be simple but that's a very rare case.
>>
>>157349969
That sounds like bullshit to me, unless you mean you can do it by studying 8+ hours every day. In which case fuck that.

>>157350624
Yeah the phonetic alphabets aren't hard, and grammar isn't too bad either excepting some of the idiosyncratic rules like those for counting different types of things, but fuck kanji memorization. Shit's a pain in the ass with stroke order, radicals, onyomi and kunyomi -so many of which are homophones- and you have to remember a few thousand of em to be literate. Not to mention it doesn't help that middlingly complex kanji that 'arr rook same' are almost always the ones in common use while the least complex ones tend to be anachronistic words you'd only find in a period drama or poetry.
>>
>>157349969
Oh, well, yeah, I can theoretically do that already, but I mean seamlessly read. The alphabets were the relatively easy part and I mostly learned them by accident, but then there's learning the words, learning the ways they transliterate English words, recognizing the wordplay (since manga is full of that) and all sorts of other stuff. And I don't just want to read stuff that has furigana. That said, with the way the world's going, there will probably be a reasonable way to auto-translate manga images from Japanese to English before I can do it properly manually.
>>
>>157344173
>how much would it be to privately hire someone to translate it?
It'd take less time and money to just learn Japanese.
>>
>>157349969
If by read, you mean look up every second word with your text hooker, then yes.
>>
>>157349969
>just kana/core kanji
Sorry, you need more than that to be able to read and understand what you're reading.
The necessary cultural knowledge alone will take years for someone to acquire.
>>
>>157349948
Not really. You get what you pay for. You can hire an amateur freelancer from the internet for $0.03 per word or an experienced certified translator for $0.25 per word. Don't expect the former to be well-read enough in both languages to get the cultural references, idioms, puns, jokes etc right. He will translate things literally, even if it sounds weird and makes no sense. Don't expect him to follow a proper perfectionist work ethic. Don't be surprised when he doesn't even proofread his own work. He's a fucking amateur. In the worst case you get an impostor or stupid kid who just makes random shit up, like some of the fansubbers do on a regular base. $1-2 per manga page is not "a lot". It's a half-decent payment, can get you a translator who knows what he's doing without any bullshit.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.