[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howl's Moving Castle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

I am honestly extremely confused after watching this film. What the fuck was even going on?
Why was Sophie turning back and forth into a grandma after the fat witch lost her powers?
Was the other witch responsible for the war?
Who turned the prince into a scarecrow?
How did Sophie save Howl?
Was Sophie actually a witch the entire time? Is this the worst Miyazaki film?
>>
I really loved this movie, until I read the book.
It's such a poor adaptation, at least the music is good.
>>
>>157266898
You can say that about a lot of Ghibli adaptions.
>>
it was shit
worst miyazaki by far
>>
>>157266898
>I really loved this movie, until I read the book
itt; things pleb say
>>
>>157266528
All that questions are answred in the book, the movie kinda take another route and didn't show alot of things.
>>
>>157267265
>Tales of Earthsea was a horrific chimera made from the first, third and fourth books
I guess it was better than the live action thing.
>>
>>157266898
The problem is Miyazaki just had to add in his WAR DRAMA bullshit that wasn't fitting at all for the rest of the film. The movie is really enjoyable until Sophie goes to see the King's Magician and Howl shows up and they have to make an escape then it turns into full on city bombings.

It should have been way more whimsical, since they didn't make Howl can much as an ass as he is in the novels and Sophie wasn't as bitchy either.
>>
I read the book earlier this year, and it's been a long time since I saw the movie but I don't think it followed the same structure overall. In a way I think that's okay because Howl (actual spoilers ahead) being from earth and having family in gray as fuck wales just felt sorta weird and the movie stuck more to the magical part

But why in the FUCK did he keep turning into a giant crow?

Why the FUCK
>>
>>157267471
the witch and howl didn't fight eather, that would be cool animated
>>
>>157267510
Symbolism or whatever
>>
Say whatever you want, but at the very least I prefer this version of Calcifer. It's a much cleaner design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2VDxkSx7n4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rll5jIJ7DD0
>>
Really said the novel's author is dead, I would have loved a fourth Howl book.
>>
>>157267616

Fuck, she's dead? Since when?

Second time I start reading a book series only to find out the author died shortly after. Pratchett made me really sad.
>>
Miyazaki doesn't know how to end movies, cause Spirited Away had a really shitty ending too.
>>
>>157267471
>Sophie wasn't as bitchy either.
Something that really bugged me in the movie was how Sophie was this reserved, shy girl but after she turned into an old lady suddenly she's this sassy, inquisitive almost stereotypical old woman.
It's not much of a stretch to assume that she was always like that, but I wish they would have shown us that before the transformation.
>>
>>157267698
She died back in 2011. Thankfully the 3rd book has closure and everything but it would have been fun to have more is all.
>>
>>157267728

On their defense, it was like this in the book as well. She thought too much and was sort of scared and subdued as a young girl, but when she turned into an old lady she seemingly outgrew all of her fucks. Hell, she straigth up mentions a bit after turning that it's not a lot of use being afraid of dogs the way she is now, even though she was as a girl.

I agree that they could have showed it more, but it was really more of an internal monologue thing
>>
>>157266528
Spells have staying power.
No.
Unimportant. He only served to remind Sophie that she's not the only one in the world w/ her kind of problem.
Removed Calcifer.
No. No.
>>
>>157266528
>Why was Sophie turning back and forth into a grandma after the fat witch lost her powers?
Sophie's curse was self-maintained by her own magical abilities. It turns out Sophie is an OP witch whose magic is talk no jutsu that can talk things into doing stuff or transform objects, and her own self-perception as a cursed old grannie made her keep up the illusion whenever she was awake.

>Was the other witch responsible for the war?
Suleiman the sorcerer is just some demon-summoning sorcerer who trained Howl and wanted him to be released from the contract he made with Calcifer because it was turning him into a monster. And she was an enemy of the Witch of the Waste, and this war was supposed to defeat the Witch.

>Who turned the prince into a scarecrow?
The Witch of the Waste. He rejected her advances so she cursed him to be a scarecrow.

>How did Sophie save Howl?
Power of love + talking magic. In the books she's able to talk Calcifer into being free and thus Howl is freed from his contract with Calcifer.

>Was Sophie actually a witch the entire time?
Yes.

>Is this the worst Miyazaki film?
No, that would be the one about the Zero fighter designer.

>>157267757
Third book? What came after Castle in the Air?
>>
I'm looking at some pictures right now and god damn, I watched this movie young so I didn't realize how much of an absolute qt Sophie is young. It's the gray hair, has to be, but either way waifu/10
>>
>>157268072
> What came after Castle in the Air?

House of Many Ways. Howl and Sophir still aren't the MCs but they have a lot more focus then they did in Air.
>>
I wish the Dark Lord of Derkholm would get an adaptation. It's really funny.
>>
>>157267403
It hurts so much, anon.
They only needed to adapt the first book word for word and it would've been the GOAT anime.
>>
>>157267728
I always looked at it as she looking as old as she felt. She was like an old nanny at the beginning and when begins to liberate from her own restraints she becomes younger; her curse was never reverted, but simply looks like regular life now.
>>
>>157268284
It would probably be a good fit for a comedy series, like some kind of reverse Slayers. I want to see the NTRfags rage at the ending.
>>
File: 1484248522610.jpg (35KB, 567x437px) Image search: [Google]
1484248522610.jpg
35KB, 567x437px
>mfw having to go into the children's section to check out the book
I only read the book recently but it was fucking great. Maybe it's because I saw the movie so much earlier, but I don't mind Miyazaki's deviations from the book. Howl and Sophie are both dreamy as hell in either versions.

>>157267728
I mean, that was sort of the point. Pre-curse Sophie was bogged down by thinking that being the oldest daughter (fairy-tale trope) would mean she would never amount to much (in-book, at least). Even in the animated adaption, Sophie's still believes she's ugly/worthless. After turning old, she actually becomes what she felt, and it turns out to not be that bad and she can let go of her past anxieties because who cares if an old lady is ugly or rude.

>>157267510
>hating on the canon modern AU
I genuinely had to put down the book once I got to that point because it was the most out of the left field moment. It would've wrecked the pacing of the film, but I still want to know how Miyazaki would've executed it.

It's not the best of Miyazaki's films, but it's the one I personally enjoy and rewatch the most.
>>
>>157267265
That's because they're hacks that draw well, which is enough to impressive normies
>>
>>157267702
He used to know how. Laputa and Nausicaa's endings were fine.
>>
>>157266528
Why was Sophie's hair still grey at the end? Made no sense.
>>
would you say this is isekai doing it right?
>>
>>157269154
>normies
Fuck off, normalfag cancer.
>>
>>157267403

Earthsea made a really good first impression on me as someone whose never read the novels, but it quickly got incomprehensible. Also it was strangely dark for a Ghibli film with all the attempted rape, child abuse, drug addiction and slavery. Its too bad cause it seems like a neat setting.

I also really liked Willem Dafoe as Cobb.
>>
>>157266528
think you are retarded dude, you are overthinking every aspect. Each one of these is answered in the movie, dumbo
>>
>>157269580
It's the curse. She couldn't fully get rid of it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.