[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cowboy Bebop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: cowboy1.jpg (16KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy1.jpg
16KB, 500x350px
I want you guys to write me about your experience with Cowboy Bebop.What did you feel in the last episode?What did this journey mean to you?
>>
Space Dandy > Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>156950126
That is not what i asked
>>
>>156950354
Get out of here hothead
>>
>>156950126
Not really
>>
>Ker-pow
>>
>>156950071
>your experience with Cowboy Bebop
"Space prophecies, feng shui, etc," shouldn't be used in a sci-fi setting.
The show felt boring at first and I nearly dropped it at the midpoint, the second half was much better than the first half.
Overall it was a "good" show, but wasn't worth the hype.

>What did you feel in the last episode?
Not much, the conclusion was good, but I didn't care for Spike or Julia at all.
>>
>>156950803
>"Space prophecies, feng shui, etc," shouldn't be used in a sci-fi setting.
What? You ever heard of Star Wars? Dune? I can't even find a reaction image for this.
>>
>>156950932
Yes, and I still dislike it in sci-fi.
That something is popular doesn't mean I need to like it.
>>
>>156950803
>>156951214
Space prophecies I can understand, but what about Feng Shui do you think should be absolutely kept separate from sci-fi? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>156951214
That's fine, it's just incredibly common in science fiction. Even Gundam has Newtypes. Cowboy Bebop is a space western, which should already be nonsensical enough, so injecting a little Chinese mysticism into the mix is entirely appropriate. For the setting. You're already accepting hyper-intelligent dogs and living fridge mold.
>>
File: 1494235585162.png (400KB, 450x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494235585162.png
400KB, 450x720px
Purely aesthethic series, the only thing it does great is OST, it'd be fine if it wasn't so overhyped by kiddies that saw it on toonami and /co/cksucking /v/ermin.

You aren't one of those are you OP?
>>
>>156951279
>but what about Feng Shui do you think should be absolutely kept separate from sci-fi?
Alright, this was bad wording on my part.
Instead of Feng Shui as a whole, I meant Feng Shui like it was used in Bebop where it was pretty much non explained "space magic".
>>
File: 2342342.gif (1MB, 352x264px) Image search: [Google]
2342342.gif
1MB, 352x264px
>>156950071
boring overrated shounen-tier trash

>mfw last episode

>>156950126
speaking of boring over-hyped shounen-tier trash
>>
>>156951316
Not him, but who said i accepted that? Those felt like filler episode of the worse kind that the 90's could produce, and a silly character quirk.
If the anime didn't take itself so seriously i might have accepted them.
>>
>>156951408
Alright, that's fair enough. Didn't bother me much but I can see how someone else might dislike that sort of thing.
>>
>>156951316
I didn't like Toys in the Attic
>>
One of the many things nostalgia faggots miss is how poorly bebop used the magical nonsense, and it used it a lot.
It was a decent noire-western, but when it tried to do comedy or magic, it sucked badly. Spike is a shit character too.

>>156951485
Why would you, it was filler trash.
>>
>>156951485
>>156951449
That's also fair. The show is actually a little less serious than you're acting like, though, outside of the major plot arcs. Mushroom Samba? Space truckers? It would be one thing if your suspension of disbelief was broken by magic suddenly existing for one episode in a hard sci-fi show, but that's not really what Cowboy Bebop is.

But that's subjective and I see your point.
>>
>>156951635
I never said it was mostly serious, and that is itself a bad thing.
>>
>>156951694
Well then we're talking about the foundations of the show and not a concept from a single episode.

The whole thing is fantasy already. That's what you're entering into.
>>
>>156951635
I'm the guy who specifically mentioned Toys in the Attic, I should clarify that I really like Bebop and own it on BD. I'm just saying that I never liked that episode and don't understand why a good chunk of people say it's their favorite.
>>
>>156951784
>Owns the bluray
Did you listen to the dub?
I'm starting to suspect you are a filthy crossboarder anon.
>>
>>156951894
I've watched both. There's nothing wrong with owning a series you like.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170504-012510~3.png (341KB, 611x727px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170504-012510~3.png
341KB, 611x727px
>>156951932
Never said there is, i'm just saying you are very suspicious.
You are also very polite in a faggot way, you reek of /co/ to be honest.
>>
>>156950071
Bittersweet. The journey was an adventure and one I somewhat relate to because the episodes that deal with love (Jet's episode about his wife) are something I can resonate with. We're given 26 episodes to learn about these characters and there are pieces of backstory that build the world very well.

Personally, I don't watch the last 2 episodes. I feel sad knowing everyone ends up going their own way and I like to remember them as a crew that hunts bounties.

I like the series but I'm not overly adamant about it. I appreciate the story for what it is and am grateful to have watched it, flaws or not.
>>
>>156951635
Am >>156950803
My issue is that it mixed too many different elements. I also dislike the totally out there sci-fi elements, but the "magic" was much worse.
This made the transition between the serious parts and the episodic adventures jarring. It felt like the show didn't knew what it wanted to be.
A fun episodic space show, or a serious story about the past of the crew.
>>
I rewatched it recently and found myself a little disappointed. I feel like lack of a strong, cohesive narrative throughout the series really worked against the show as a whole. The main plot that strings the show together is more like an explanation of each characters backstory, which helps the viewer piece together a more complete picture and idea of the characters. But the characters don't receive much development until the latter third of the show.

Even then, Spike, Jet, and Faye all behave for the most part as if their "pasts" don't exist. They try to act more or less in the present without regressing to the painful thoughts and memories of the past.

This is Cowboy Bebop's double edged sword. The show's main theme is the human condition of having to live with the shadow of one's past.

The show explores the different relationships people have with their past and how they go about life with that relationship, like how Jet is more willing to let go his past regrets but Spike is constantly obsessed with chasing his past. And the show does this well. But it also hinders the show in that we don't see anything new or interesting develop within these characters until the very end.
>>
>>156950071
Nothing at all. The I was expecting a strong impression at least considering how much people revere it but all it ended up being was some vapid point about confronting your past and insincere relationships. I guess you could get that impression if the characters were interesting but they really weren't. The only reaction was being baffled at how highly appraised it and how something so unremarkable is the model to judge other shows by for so many people.
>>
>>156952186
>It felt like the show didn't knew what it wanted to be.
>A fun episodic space show, or a serious story about the past of the crew.
It wanted to be both of those things and succeeded. The entire overarching theme was of people running away from the serious past and it catching up to them in the end. The past catching up to them would have absolutely zero impact if it wasn't interspersed with them going about their lives attempting to escape it. I don't understand why you think something must be always fun or always serious and can't have different levels of both throughout.
>>
>>156952403 (cont)
Thus, it makes sense when people complain that the show and its characters feel boring. What you see in the characters is for the most part what you get. Nothing changes and the characters feel unresolved in that the viewer never feels a strong resolution for anyone's narrative.

It's a show that leaves you wanting for more when there is nothing more. If that is the goal of the show, then I'd say it did it pretty damn well.
>>
>>156952454
Both felt disjointed and the fun part was very disappointing, and since you were meant to develop a connection to the characters in the fun parts, the serious part lost all its weight, that's why the only thing that ends up carrying the show is the atmosphere and soundtrack, but that is not enough to be that good, let alone the level of worship it gets in some places.
>>
>>156952673
>since you were meant to develop a connection to the characters in the fun parts, the serious part lost all its weight
You're going to have to explain that in a way that actually makes sense and doesn't contradict itself.
>>
File: received_10212866444720927.png (128KB, 492x591px) Image search: [Google]
received_10212866444720927.png
128KB, 492x591px
I suspect OP wasn't expecting the thread to go this way.
>>
>>156952454
>It wanted to be both of those things and succeeded.
I disagree, it didn't succeed.

>I don't understand why you think something must be always fun or always serious and can't have different levels of both throughout.
I never said that something must always be serious or fun.
In Bebop's case the transition from both parts was handled badly, and the two parts didn't feel connected at all.
>>
>>156952949
>the transition
You mean you dislike the ending and opening credits?
>>
>>156952743
Cowboy bebop can be divided into two categories
A) serious
a1) episodic serious
a2) continuous plot series
B) less serious, sometimes comedic episodic stuff

For something as somber and moody as the serious parts of bebop to have any effect, they have to make you care, in fact, the episodic serious stuff realizes this and tries (sometimes succesfully) to get you to care in the duration of the episode (think the first ep).

Now, the overarching serious plot also needs you to care, but since it's not episodic, it tries to make you care about the character via the funnier episodes, givung you a contrast. Since it fails at that, the series becime tedious since
The less serious episodes suck
The serious overarching plot never gets any kind of wait behind it because who gives a fuck

And that leaves a series that everyone praises for the atmosphere, because the plot itself fails.
>>
>>156952949
I recognized the transition myself on my third or so re-watch of the series. You could really end up eliminating quite a few episodes that aren't essential to the plot as they don't add much. I don't think they're supposed to really feel connected, like their lives aren't 100% drama and crazy antics happen along the way. Regrettably, as one anon pointed out the drama and story is mostly spilled towards the end.
>>
>>156953037
No, I mean I dislike the transition between the less serious episodes and the serious ones.
I made the show feel disconnected.
>>
>>156953199
>I
I meant it.
>>
Sadly it failed to live to its potential, the director has a lot of faults that were masked in bebop but pretty evident in everything else he did.

A shame, even if it's the go to anime casuals overhype, i have a bias towards it since i personally like jazz, noire and westerns a lot.
>>
it was brilliant, loved the build up, and the original approach to it. Watanabe did a good job mixing in all these different styles into a cohesive show, and it was backed by a marvelous soundtrack. I still think there was room for character development, but that same lack of character development worked for the overall story. The story has its flaws I won't delve into since I don't have time, but I think overall it was great.

the last episode was great; I thought the ending did the anime justice, but I will complain about the ending since I hate open interpretation endings.
>>
File: WaltzMain[1].jpg (195KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
WaltzMain[1].jpg
195KB, 970x545px
>>156953039
That's dumb. Cowboy Bebop has no overarching plot. Spike's mob past is just one story woven within the other stories, literally just five episodes out of twenty-six, that's not an overarching plot. Same with Faye's amnesia and Jet's cop days. Furthermore in Spike's case the most endearing parts of the entire show for his character was serious, with this guy's death and his blind sister. And even further than this if you take the overarching plot to just be stuff related to the main characters' pasts, Ed's hunt for her dad with Faye was clearly comedic.

If you just disliked the show and the characters then that's fine, Anon, there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying that, but your analysis is nonsense.
>>
>>156950071
a friend lend me the dvds about 10 years ago watched them once remember enjoying it but havent watched it since, OST is god tier.

It's one of the series I recomend to any normalfag friend who want to get into anime it's wester enough not to scare them
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.