[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wich shonen has the best power system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 279
Thread images: 27

File: Shizuku_1999.png (216KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shizuku_1999.png
216KB, 640x480px
>Nen
>Devil Fruits
>Stands
>Alchemy
>Quirk
>whatever the fuck they use in magi

I like Nen best by shee absurdity of the powers (pic related) without breaking the rules, devil fruits sometimes don't make sense, how come luffy body is made of rubber but he is not a rubber logia, still love one piece tho
>>
>wich
>shonen
>still love one piece tho
you're good at this aren't you?
>>
>>156940961
Nen is the best.
This was a good thread, no one reply after me unless you're agreeing.
>>
>>156942295
I agree.
>>
>>156942295
I too agree
>>
>>156940961
If luffy were a logia, he could produce rubber.
>>
>>156942295
Arbitrary power ups out of nowhere is best? It's no different than ki from dbz.
>>
Chakara over everything nigga. Believe it!
>>
>>156942585
If you're stupid, sure that's what happened
>>
Nen obviously.

It has a very strict ruleset that's also extremely flexible. I can be fucking anything as long as you play by the rules well enough. And no matter what it does it cannot be an asspull because all it's rules have been set from day 1.
>>
>>156942773
>And no matter what it does it cannot be an asspull
O MY RUBBER NEN
>>
>>156942833
Yeah, uh you didn't refute his point.
>>
>>156942295
So are stands 2nd
I like that the majority Stands depend on the user's intlegence to be useful. One with the ability to tear through reality never won many fights while one stand that's just string beat a stand that could summon a meteor
>>
>>156942773
>it cannot be an asspull

Rubber Nen my friend.
>>
>>156943073
Stands are absolute shit. No rules, no consistency, and constant asspulls.
>>
>>156940961
Alchemy is deceptively simple but is tightly constructed. It's laws boils down to "equivalent exchange". Absolutely anyone can learn it but not everyone can master it to the point of being combat effective. So some people are simple medical alchemist while others are "dogs of the military", essentially living tanks. It prevents anyone from getting too overly powerful and forces users to have specially made equipment like gloves and gauntlets just to make them combat effective. No aura/ki bullshit here either, so even if alchemist can move mountains or explode the ground, one good shot with a gun can take down anyone unless one can use souls/philosopher stones. It also limits what kind of alchemy one does as it takes a lifetime to study unless you see the Truth (sure a normal person like Roy can study Flame alchemy and medical alchemy, but it obviously takes time to do so, mastering Flame Alchemy itself took all of his young adult life), and actually follow its own rules, preventing loopholes and abuses like "power of friendship", "getting very angry", or "oh my rubber nen."

I think because it is very heavily connected to the theme of the show on how you can't get something for nothing, that it prevents it from being completely over the top for its own good. It's because the power isn't there for its own sake to make battles cooler, but is an intrinsic part of the world it is in that makes it a great power system.
>>
>>156940961
all of them are unique in their own regard the main difference being the application and presentation
>>
Nen and Stands are both fucking stupid. Super powers shouldn't work like fucking contracts with terms and conditions, that's so arbitrary and fucking stupid. At least quirks and devil fruits make sense and how powerful it is depends on your talent and perseverance, not "OH MY RUBBER NEN REVIVE ME" bullshit
>>
>>156943836
There aren't a whole lot of power level ass pulls with stands though. And a lot of things have several chapters leading up to something as well.
>>
>>156944747
And who the fuck are you, the man who came up with the concept of superpowers? Get over yourself, you cretin. There is no unilateral approach to introducing superpowers, not every fictional verse work the same way or follow the same rules.

Not surprising you'd gush over Devil Fruits either
>>
Stands and it's not even a contest.
Nen is neat tho.
>>
>>156945621
Stands are literal trash.
>>
>>156942833
>>156943430
>Nen can become stronger through death
Not an asspull no matter how much you wanna say it is.
>>
>>156945714
Nice argument.
>>
>>156940961
>I can become as strong as god by putting a stake on my heart and I will die if I use my power for anything else other than fight this group of people
>lmao it seems I can take out the stake cause i'm that awesome
Nen makes so much sense and isn't broken at all.
>>
>>156945812
Alchemy maybe. As i remember there's a cost for everything which is nice. Nen try to be explained but it's still asspulls in the end. Devil fruit have no rules at all. Literally anything can be a power. At least Oda can contain himself from creating OP shit
>>
>>156940961
Shizuku is cute. Cute!
>>
>>156942295
i agree nen is the coolest
>>
>>156940961
Nen > Stands > Everything else
Nen is great and stands are crazy creative.
>>
Nen and Stand are on top
>>
>>156945862
I suppose this thinly veiled jab at Kurapika is supposed to mean something. Two things though, what is this shit about being as strong as god with the stake? The minute folks heard the part "I can use 100% of all nen catagories", people who don't pay attention probably went immediately to "Hyuk hyuk, gosh guess that makes Kurapika the strongest character in the show." Except that's flat out wrong. Kurapika can use 100% of the catagories that he's physically capable of producing. What's 100% in Enhancement for a non-native Enhancer =/= 100% of a native one. That's why Kurapika said that his 100% punch is only slightly stronger than Uvogin's body with no nen whatsoever, added to the fact that he was recovering from a fight prior to theirs.

And two, if he removed the stake than his Spider specific chains don't work. And it's not something you can turn off and on. It's a matter of conviction and resolve. If that goes, the nen won't work the way you want it to. Worst case is you can't use nen anymore.
>>
File: shaman-king-249555.jpg (236KB, 704x1100px) Image search: [Google]
shaman-king-249555.jpg
236KB, 704x1100px
>>156940961
Oversoul is the best one
>>
>>156946560
Yes and?
>And it's not something you can turn off and on.
But he specifically said that he can.
>>
>>156944671
This is the most reasonable post in the thread. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>156945769
stronger through death doesnt mean omnipotence

>"oh my rubber nen turn me into an immortal rubber man that absorbs people and turns them into candy after I die"
>>
File: 0108-004.jpg (253KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
0108-004.jpg
253KB, 1066x1600px
>>156946830
Enlighten me then because all he said was that it can be used on other people. Don't recall him ever saying it can be turned off and on at a whim. He still has the chain on his heart.
>>
>>156947071
Good thing that that is not what happened at all making your example completely invalid.
>>
>>156940961
I like the abilities in World Trigger the most if that counts, granted the system itself doesn't have much risk to it but it gives more chances for the characters to be more tactical, Nen is a close second for me.
>tfw no new chapters of either
>>
>>156940961
devi fruits are better and the powers are more unique, biscuit fruit is a good example
>>
>>156940961
O
>>
File: 1447874278508.jpg (111KB, 530x750px) Image search: [Google]
1447874278508.jpg
111KB, 530x750px
Stands are the best
>>
>>156947175
>smuganimeface.jpg
But you just did for me, the power to block nen can be only used against the spiders, but every other power can be used normally with his gay eyes on, how convenient right?
>>
>>156940961
Zanpakuto are the best conceptually, Devil Fruits are the best in practice.

Nen is overrated.

also Luffy is not a rubber logia because to be a logia you have to have the ability to both be and produce whatever your fruit is, and luffy can only be rubber he cant make it. thus, hes a paramecia.
>>
>>156942773
What makes nen so flexible are the peculiarities that Togashi intentionally didn't explain. I wouldn't call it an asspull but I doubt he could write those rules in a solid manner, even more considering the mental, psychological and spiritual aspects of it.
>>
Stands are cool in concept since it can be any weird shit the author can think of with a ridiculous set of rules. But at that point they're not really powers, more like plot contrivances and an excuse for conflict in the case of stands like Superfly or that thing that attaches to your back.

Problem is In practice, and because Araki is a bad narrative writer (but great for suspense and creative situations) Stands are full of bullshit.
>>
>>156947599
And? Only other chain used for offense is Judgement Chain. Which can be dodged if you use Gyo from the beginning.

Are you gonna cry about Scarlet Enhanced Dowsing Chain or Holy Chain? Enhanced healing is somehow a deal breaker?
>>
>>156947794
>Zanpakuto
They're a really shitty version of Oversoul >>156946681
>>
>>156940961
I don't think you need a "system", just freeball things.
>>
>>156948008
>Before
>"My resolve its absolute, in order to gain the power to fight the spider I will put on stake the most important thing, my life"
>"I will not use this power with anyone else otherwise i'll die on the spot, this will be my chain, this will be my power"
Oh that's pretty cool.
>now
>"Oh the restriction you say? Lol, that was just for one little power"
>"The resolve you said? It seems I just can do whatever I want plus this cool power to kill spiders lmao"
Whatever you said man, whatever you said.
>>
File: 1461601157031.png (359KB, 416x570px) Image search: [Google]
1461601157031.png
359KB, 416x570px
>>156948105
that is definitely NOT a good idea
>>
>>156948034
maybe, i havent read shaman king though
>>
>>156948281
So you got no argument then. M'kay.

You people try so hard to overrate Kurapika to being a walking tank just so you can cry about him being OP. It's kinda sad.
>>
Quirks are fun in how restrictive they are. So far (and hopefully forever) the power has to originate from the body. They can't just poof something into existence. It's all just biological processes.
>>
>>156940961

NEN

NO CONTEST
>>
>>156943836

DESU, the last asspulls from stands were in part 5 from that Arrow power up wherein Giorno's stand got the absolute perfect power to countereact with Diavolo's time skipping.
>>
>>156944671
>Alchemy is deceptively simple but is tightly constructed.
Yeah, they do such equivalent exchanges when they make whatever from the Earth. Or when Mustang creates a path of oxygen to his target to fire them up somehow. Which he also didn't need to do when he fired Envy's eyes.

Nen did equivalent exchange much better than alchemy ever did.
>>
>>156940961
>Quirk
Quirks will always sound stupid to me, I don't care if it is the right definition, it still sounds so unappealing to listen to.
>>
>>156942773
>extremely flexible
PROPERTIES
>>
>>156948908
>i'm just pretending to be retarded
My point was stated 2 hours ago, nen is broken and its "restrictions" are a joke, you insignificant fanboy, maybe it was my mistake, I thought you were trying to defend HxH not just a crying fagboy.
>>
>>156949527
I already refuted your points and you resorted to greentexting because you never really had an argument beyond "Urgh, Kurapika too stronk cuz I said so". I guess I shouldn't have expected much.
>>
That ayylien magiteck from World Trigger is pretty interesting.
>>
>>156949855
Kurapika is too strong because he say so, keep crying but I will stop replying to you right now.
>>
>>156950073
I don't really care what you do, so I'll take that as a concession, I guess.

Only two of his abilities are tailored towards combat but they are can be easily dodged if you use Gyo to see that he's using Conjured chains. But the mind goes blank when you hear "100%" and "special eyes". I can't help that.
>>
>>156942773
>it cannot be an asspull
>extremely flexible.
This is pretty subtle bait anon I love it
>>
>>156940961
All of them except for Nen. It's overcomplicated

(and magi, I've no idea what that is)
>>
At least FMA fucking finished before we all die
>>
>>156943836
Yeah but at least jojo was more interesting hunter x hunter. Not one moment in that entire series matched the first episode of part 2 where he blows the vampire away with the tommy guy. The show is just one entire fucking blue ball where the only interesting thing is the phantom troupe which is half the length of the naruto tier chimera ant arc.
>>
File: air-gear-3154113.jpg (223KB, 1200x865px) Image search: [Google]
air-gear-3154113.jpg
223KB, 1200x865px
Anthropomorphic representations of fucking roller skates

Seriously now, Psyren started treating psychic powers really well. It went all-in on the bullshit by the second half of it, sadly

And I've always had a soft spot for Innocence/Akuma in D. Gray Man and how each level was shown to be a big deal
>>
>>156951099
True. HxH is kinda overrated. The same goes for Nen. I always imagine that people who like it and think it's unique and amazing on't even read other manga.
>>
>>156940961
>tfw nothing in anime/manga comes close to Sanderson-level magic systems.
>>
>>156940961
Rukh (Magi)
>>
>>156940961
Nen is bullshit and the rest are just dumb.

Dragonball has the best powerlevel system because there's no illogical bullshit, it's just about getting stronger and punching harder and making bigger blasts.
>>
File: 1416024508515.gif (2MB, 255x164px) Image search: [Google]
1416024508515.gif
2MB, 255x164px
Devil fruits

None of them are magic bullets and none of them are innately stronger than another.
An ongoing theme of OP is that even the shittiest devil fruit can be strong as fuck if used properly and vice versa.

There has never one been a villain whose main threat was his power. It's always overshadowed by character traits like perseverance, ambition, greed, anger etc etc etc etc

tl;dr devil fruits are best because the character defines the power and not the other way around.
>>
>>156951321
That's just you being presumptuous. It's not even all that complicated.

>>156951429
I can appreciate this post.
>>
>>156951540
This, but unironically.
>>
>>156951429
DB has the worst power system: it's boring, doesn't provide any tension, and suffers from powercreeping.
>>
>>156940961
In the end, all anime powers are fueled by suffering of catgirls.
>>
>>156951605
>That's just you being presumptuous. It's not even all that complicated.
It's an opinion, not a presumption. And yeah, it's not that complicated, it's just more complicated that it needs to be. In practice there's no real difference between my rubber nen and baito za dasuto to justify all the rules and branches of Nen
>>
File: boy no jutsu.gif (2MB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
boy no jutsu.gif
2MB, 420x315px
>>156940961
>logias are elements, parmacias are solids you doorknob

nen and devil fruits because they are very unique and flexible but also have structure, and are only as good as you are at using them for the most part. basically what >>156951540
said

nen is especially good because of how different each power is but the rules put in place prevents bullshit from happening while still not imposing very much limitations

ninjutsu was also pretty good until the scale became too great and eye hax powers became the end all be all
>>
File: 1477353931906.jpg (71KB, 338x436px) Image search: [Google]
1477353931906.jpg
71KB, 338x436px
TCG skill
>>
The Rukh is the most interesting system. Nen is well done for fighting, but it isn't well explained what role it has in the world, how it affects the world, how it was born and why it exists. The Rukh of Magi is very well studied, all the shades are revealed.
>>
>>156940961
>how come luffy body is made of rubber but he is not a rubber logia
Logias aren't made from an element, they can produce the element, control it and turn their bodies into it to nulify damage. Luffy is constantly rubber, he can't rebuild himself like a logia when his body is damaged, he can neither produce nor control rubber outside of his body.

Was it that hard?
>>
>>156951744
I don't think something like "Nen getting stronger after death" is such an out there concept in any case. Throughout the several on panel depictions, all it's shown that nen is capable of functioning after then user has died. That's it. All Hisoka did was use that feature to create a makeshift defibrillator using the properties of his own nen. Nen itself didn't nuke Hisoka from the afterlife..
>>
Once you go Nen you can't go Den.
>>
File: Killua_misses_his_target.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Killua_misses_his_target.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
Killua is cute!
>>
>>156952304
I know what he did, but I still have an issue with this kind of writing: if you have strict rules, but still bend them left and right for the plot convinience, then what's the reason for having a system at all? Why would I be even interested in all the aspects of Nen if in the end the author can still do whatever he wish to? It's a completely pointless element of a story then.
>>
>>156940961
Beet the Vandal Buster ( fucking Scans for new chapters FUCKING WHERE)

System where with training you can learn magic and strengthen yourself

When you get strong enough you develop your own weapon based on your personality.

All Busters have levels which are good indicators but a Buster can train without gaining levels.

Vandals have a star based system 1-8 with an exact number of the top class vandals so no asspulls.

It's very straight forward and simple, the characters are great and yeah best Shounen battle mang
>>
>>156949235
That wasn't even an asspull, since it was foreshadowed constantly for a couple volumes
>>
File: Dan_Avidan.png (712KB, 663x834px) Image search: [Google]
Dan_Avidan.png
712KB, 663x834px
>>156952618
Oh yes you can, my man
>>
>>156952846
Why is he so Jewish??
>>
>>156952922
Because jewish is a cute
>>
>>156952795
But what rule is it bending?

Early Yorknew, a cassette tape recorded ten years ago still had the function to rewind after it's been played.

More or less the same concept applies to Hisoka's application which I found to be clever. Unless you don't like revivals period
>>
>>156953183
My suspension of disbelief just breaks when a character on a brink of death suddenly finds a way to bend the rules of his magic to start his heart (which is not what defibrilation does) and gets off the hook without any consequences. I would buy it if there were a few cases of this kind of stuff beforehand, but that's just an asspull. And I'm not against those, but what's the point of having such an accent on all those rules then?
>>
>>156953446
I can't see how using his nen's elastic properties to expand and contract on his heart and lungs is not an application of defibrillation, or perhaps I should have said CPR.

Plus,for me personally, given Hisoka's wildcard nature and unpredictability, something like this fits him like a glove.
>>
Nen would be the best if the author didn't literally divide nen into categories and say that the last one was "others". If he wants to create a stupid nen power that doesn't fit the rules of the show->others

rule:you can't have more than 2 nen power types
Exception: wait there's this special power that allows you to use more than 2 nen power types
>>
>>156947859
And its better this way cause no one in the manga actually understands nen 100%
>>
File: 1480876421014.jpg (43KB, 500x741px) Image search: [Google]
1480876421014.jpg
43KB, 500x741px
>>156954837
Speedreading truly is the greatest sin
>>
>>156954837
Uhh, actually everyone can potentially use all the nen types. The efficacy however varies greatly. The further the nen type you are trying to learn is from your own native nen type, the harder it is to learn.
>>
>>156955095
Nen type can also change

this is going to be Kallua's big thing assuming the author doesn't die from space aids.

but overall kind of stupid
>You're a transmuter
>Well anyone can be a specialist if they meet the right criteria
Big bag of plot armor introduced
>>
>>156955185
>Big bag of plot armor introduced
Except being a specialist doesn't suddenly make you unbeatable
>>
>>156940961
Is alchemy really a power system? It was more of a science that was utilized and abused. it's almost like saying weapons is another form of a power system?
>>
>>156955276
It does if you are important and just went into an unwinnable battle and are not currently a specialist
>>
>>156955185
I'll assume you mean Killua and why would his nen type change?
>>
>>156955301
When did this happen exactly?
>>
>>156955387
Because as Hisoka said, Transmuters are untrustworthy and will betray their friends on a dime. Killua has been trying to change the entire story if he were unable to it would just be a waste of a character so his Nen type changing is inevitable

>>156955404
Gon vs Pitou. Aside from that it's just a wait and see.
>>
>>156955467
>Gon vs Pitou.
???
Gon didn't turn into a specialist in that fight.
>>
>>156955467
I'm not following this logic.

You actually expect Killua to go through some Sasuke shit when the chance of that happening is next to zero? And even if he did, why would that somehow change his nen type?
>>
Nasuverse magecraft
>>
File: 1466489133089.jpg (16KB, 151x144px) Image search: [Google]
1466489133089.jpg
16KB, 151x144px
>>156940961
>No Negima
This thread makes me sad. Negima has one of the best magic systems out there, with incredible world building and detailed mechanics. Bar one or two exceptions, it never breaks it rules, and one of those rule breaking exceptions has its own rules it follows.
>>
>>156955467
>Gon vs Pitou
so i guess you didnt watch it
>>
Devil Fruit was good, until Haki came in an fucked everything up
>>
>>156956240
There had to be a counter to Logia.
>>
>>156956146
>>156955591
The Nen release was his specialty

>>156955669
he has already started to change as he's become more couragous and more protective

you can't stop it.

Also while we're on HxH why was everyone cheering Gon as some hero? Only Killua should have known how strong Pitou was?
>>
>>156956342
Other Logia users

Rather than Luffy being the solution to any fight they need, they could have had to get a new crew member who actually took big fights him/herself
>>
>>156956349
>The Nen release was his specialty
>speadreaders

>Also while we're on HxH why was everyone cheering Gon as some hero?
Anyone who does that is an idiot because the entire point of his fight with Pitou is that Gon became fucked up.
>>
>>156956445
At the elections when they were yelling at Ging they were saying it
>>
>>156940961
Why you dont say haki, i agree with the nen and i think that the haki "looks like" nen
>>
File: 1397224624171.jpg (467KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1397224624171.jpg
467KB, 1600x1200px
>>156956349
>The Nen release was his specialty
>>
>>156956349
I can't stop what? Killua's not changing his damn nen type.

I can't be any clearer
>>
>>156956481
Oh, I thought you meant people watching the show
That makes a little more sense.
>>
>>156940961
Devil Fruit because you can have the power to literally turn into shit but if you train, it can be dangerous piece of shit that can break someones arm off and become the ultimate defense.
>>
>>156956519
If the author only threw in that bit so Pika could be a specialist as well as a conjurer then he is a hack
>>
>>156956481
They were cheering his recovery and yelling at Ging to meet with his son, not due to any heroic deed
>>
>>156956576
I took it as Gon's story about his battle against Pitou got out and they all felt obligated to Gon which is why they were all for helping Leorio not just because he punched a scumbag. Probably read to far into that
>>
>>156956575
What the hell are you talking about? Can we be on the same page for once?

Kurapika can be a Specialist only because of his Scarlet Eyes which he had since birth.
>>
>>156956656
No the scarlet eyes are his trigger to be a specialist as it is an emotional/mental change that alters his Nen type.
>>
File: 0083-012.jpg (236KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
0083-012.jpg
236KB, 1066x1600px
>>156956707
right...
>>
>>156956814
Yes and the eyes activate when he's overly emotional what is your point?
>>
>>156956850
I have no idea what you are even driving at now.

You brought up Kurapika being a Specialist for what reason? As as example of someone changing his nen type? His case is specifically related to his clan.
>>
>>156949467

of what?
>>
>>156940961

>Nen
good shit

>Devil Fruits
straight up garbage

>Alchemy
didn't watched FMA so dunno

>Quirk
Good

>whatever the fuck they use in magi
straight up powerlevel bullshit. didn't even read after the timeskip
>>
>>156940961
'99 Shizuku is orders of magnitude cuter than 2011 version
>>
>>156940961
>Nen
Probably the most deep one, I understand why so many people love Hunter x Hunter, but overrated here. OMYRUBBERNEN was shit no matter what you fags say.

>Devil Fruits
The good thing about One Piece was the infinite fighting style varieties. Unique devil fruits, swordsmen, fighters, shooters, robots, animals tamers, ramen kenpo ect
But then time skip happened, and broken haki + repetitive fruits ruined it. Nowadays strong armor haki>everything
Also
The overall accepted fan’s statement is that Logias are physic states (smoke, sand, gas) or classic elements (fire, electricity, ice). Anything related to living stuff or human isn’t a logia. Therefore rubber isn’t a logia because it comes from trees or it’s produced artificially.

>Stands
Great, and unlike nen, the author doesn’t really take it seriously. It’s my favorite one.

>Alchemy
Kinda boring.

>Quirk
I didn't read Boku Academy
>>
>>156946681
This nigga gets it
>>
>>156940961
Those things they have in Rave. Dark Brings I think?
>>
>>156960923
So was Machi and Paku
>>
>>156940961
Also, Ninjutsu from early Naruto when they still had to the handseals and the eyehax were simply the ordinary sharingan and byakugan.
>>
>>156940961
I like power words so Aphorism's power from Kanji thing is fun for me. Also systems where people get seemingly very narrow powers, like Law of Ueki before they ruined it with half-god snowflake bullshit.

Luffy's body has rubber properties but he's not a rubber elemental who can generate rubber or become amorphous by turning into the base "element".
>>
>>156962135
>Law of Ueki
Damn that show was good before the god thing.
>>
>>156954837
Thats just people tendency to fit into certain nen patterns

The special one basically implies anyone can reach a stage of nen development that doesn't fit, making the "categories" trashbin materials or weaklings "ways of action"
>>
>>156955467
>Gon vs Pitou

While i agree that the way they handled gon recovery was an asspull, it fits perfectly into the Enhancement department.
>>
Remember when quirks were called individuality's
>>
>>156942773
It can be an asspull. Hisoka coming back to life from death really was. Gon being saved kind of was but at least worked within the context of it's universe, but Hisoka should've stayed dead or won
>>
>>156963427
It's either that or Gon would be dead.

At least this way we can segue into the larger world around them
>>
>>156940961
Alchemy would've been the most interesting in the hands of a writer with a really good grasp of chemistry and physics. As it was, 90% of Ed and Al's alchemy was "make punchy fists come out of the ground".
>>
How come in Anime and Manga with these powers are always X users?
>Stand users
>Nen users
>Devil Fruit users

It sounds weird to me.
>>
Biggest bullshit is Gon-san and OH MY RUBBER NEN
>>
O
>>
File: Dragon Ball Z (2030).png (1MB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball Z (2030).png
1MB, 1024x1536px
The answer is always Dragon Ball
>>
>>156948281

Wait, I thought from the beginning of Yorkshin he said he could use the projection portion of the chain as a weapon against anyone, but chain jail (which is what makes him invincible against the Spiders) is only useable against the Spiders?

Was that anime only, perhaps?
>>
>nobody mentions Index's power system
wew lad
>>
Ripple was the best because it had the most thought out and solid system.Alchemy's pretty close, but without knowledge of actual chemistry and physics author couldn't really make it into good system. Nen and Stands are the worst, because they have no concrete rules, just a bunch of leeways for authors to come with random shit and asspulls. The rest are in-between.
>>
>>156965097
Dragon ball was completely ruined by power creep.
>>
>>156964993
In my country, stand users were translated as 'messengers of stands', so it probably depends on how people localize it? Also standers and nenists sounds retarded.
>>
>>156940961
>Best
Nen
>Medicore
Stand
>Shit
Devil fruits
>>
File: 012.png (171KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
012.png
171KB, 1024x1536px
>>156965738
The power creep only made it better
>>
>>156966190
>Best
Dragon Ball
>Mediocre
HxH
>Shit
My Meme Academia
>>
File: fma52-13.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fma52-13.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
It's a toss up between alchemy and nen, devil fruits aren't really interesting because there isn't much to how they work. Stands are fun but half of them are really fucked and the internal logic for how they actually work is amazingly inconsistent.
>quirks
Nen is cool and has a plausible explanation for everything it does, but I have to give it to alchemy on the basis that alchemy is a lot more built into the actual world of FMA more than just a fighting mechanic. Alchemy has it's own working internal logic like Nen does, but FMA's world shows that characters and cultures have differing opinions alchemy and if it's even okay to use it. The characters that use it aren't just random fighters that pop out of nowhere, they're doctors, veterans, or scholars. Which is more than just a power system, it's built into the actual world and has shaped it pretty dramatically. My only real gripe with alchemy is how specialized a lot of characters have to be with it because it's such a pain in the ass to set up when it isn't on a tattoo or some piece of gear/clothing.
>>
>>156966735
Again, like I said before, Alchemy sounds great on paper, but there's n equivalent exchange behind it in practice. What do they exchange equivalently for making yuge blocks of out of the ground? For making a spear out of the ground? For making oxygen out of thin air?
>>
>>156942295
I wish this was the first post instead of >>156941086
>>
>>156966735
Nen is better, but Alchemy is better woven into its universe.

Early HxH cleary had no clue where it was going to end up, and Nen is one of most blatant signs of such.
>>
>>156954173
I thought he remade his organs out of nen.
Also the nen gets stronger after death thing doesn't apply here, his nen contracted and expanded his heart, that's not a case of power but precision and autonomy something a corpse doesn't have. Regardless of his nen's power he was dead meaning he couldn't have done shit, thats like saying if Kurpika died while his chain was still in Chrollo then Kurapika could magically change the rule that he set even after death.
>>
>>156967832
Not really, you can't see most kind of Nen without knowing Nen yourself
>>
>>156967103
For the physical stuff like the spear he is literally exchanging the ground and transforming it into a spear the same with the huge blocks. It's been a while so remind me on the context of the oxygen example but I'd imagine they exchanged the other gases in the air for breathable oxygen or something.
>>
>>156942585
But it had none of those. Nen allows you to obtain more power if the power has limitations. Can only work on specific people, requires setup, settings etc. Or you stake all your future for 1 burst of power
>>
>>156940961
I've only read around 3 shonen series but Nen is the only one that feels like it has some real thought and effort put into it. Alchemy isn't bad, but Nen has more depth and variety.

That being said, O MY RUBBER NEN is complete bullshit no matter how you try to spin it.
>>
>>156967931
Its not that, its that "Nen" would be a critical interwoven aspect of society, moreso than just the Hunter organization.

Such as the Phantom Troupe, they're practically a walking nuke in terms of power, and yet Governments (that clearly know about Nen) have no proper defense? The majority of goddamn mafia having next to no real knowledge against this shit is also dumb considering they hire just publically hire and test dudes with Nen, provided they're strong enough.

Not to mention there's a massive public battle arena where people can all clearly see there are super powered dudes using unexplained powers.

Hell, at this point "Nen", or at least all of these super-powers should be common knowledge to the populace (much like all of the weird monsters are early on in the series), even if the intricacies are still secret.
>>
File: Spellbooks.png (247KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Spellbooks.png
247KB, 640x480px
BAO ZAKERUGA
>>
File: 546fba1b.jpg (102KB, 800x1189px) Image search: [Google]
546fba1b.jpg
102KB, 800x1189px
Unironically Nasuverse has the deepest and most fun magic system iv seen.

>Magic based on names
>genetics are well fleshed out
>Time travelling is fleshed out
>same goes for alchemy/entropy
>magic zoology
>and biology etc

Most powerful characters arent even mages or humans who are bottom feeders. Actually powerful beings are aliens, spirits of the old and such. We dont even see those characters often unlike in many other jap fantasies.

To cont that, most fights arent even resolved with magic itself which is rather weak and unreliable. Most powerful mages still die if theyre shanked by some hobo in a hood

Everything prior to multiverse shittery in game CCC of course.
>>
What is the power system in Medaka Box called?

The whole thing with the Plus, Minus and Not Equals.
>>
>>156942295
I agree completely.
>>
>>156967103
Alchemists don't create anything, they just reshape what they already have

seriously just read this
http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemy
>>
>>156968202
It's just all sorts of traditional magic being thrown into a pile.
>>
I liked Hamon.
>>
>>156968233
It's basically the narrative itself.
Plus is plot armor. Minus is the opposite of plot armor. And Not Equals are basically irrelevant side characters. That is, if you look at it at a meta level.
>>
>>156940961
Shinsoo (Tower of God) and Rukh (Magi)
>>
>>156968105
the Hunter x Hunter world that has 6 really big countries and we still don't know anything about their military prowess

almost 400 chapters and Greed Island has been more developed than the actual HxH world
>>
>>156965631
I like Index's stuff. More the Academy City esper powers than the magic though. I think the the fact that there are some who are inherently more powerful creates a neat dynamic with the less powerful characters. Unfortunately a lot of time it comes down to Touma punching the bad guy in the face with his power erasing fist.
>>
>>156968565
Magic in Index is much more interesting.
And it only took 24 books to explain it to a satisfying degree.

>Unfortunately a lot of time it comes down to Touma punching the bad guy in the face with his power erasing fist.
That doesn't happen anymore.
>>
>>156968506
>we still don't know anything about their military prowess

It seems like the residents and populaces of HxH don't really either.

I'm not saying everything should've been explained, just that looking back at early HxH clearly shows Togashi hadn't really planned things out completely.
>>
>>156968565
Kamachi really thinks of interesting power systems. Just look at Blood Sign.
>>
Ok, but which seinen manga has the best power system?
>>
Willpower is the strongest power and most consistent.You can be as strong as you want as long as your will allows it.
>>
>>156968662
K-On
>>
>>156968665
Not really, I can see that being abused by the author really.
>>
>>156968620
didn't mention it, but I'm an anime only fag for Raildex, haven't gotten around to all the the books/manga yet
>>
>>156968711
>but I'm an anime only fag for Raildex
I knew that, it very obvious.
>>
>>156964641
This is why I liked the 2003 series a little bit more than Brotherhood: we actually saw some creative applications of alchemy being used that actually required knowledge of chemistry to pull off (Ed transmuting water into ethanol comes to mind).
>>
>>156948593
Get on that shit
Read it on Batoto btw since it has most complete version available on the web
>>
>>156946681
My nigga.
>>
>>156949115
Yaoyorozu?
>>
>>156946681
fucking kek anon
>>
>>156964641
when did this happen? also where does the carbon come from. iirc ethanol has literally one O molecule
>>
>>156942699

/signed
>>
>>156967103
its literally the earths inertia, heat, magnetism and other small forces that are compounded into the energy needed to transmute.

hohenheim is actually blocking most of the energy in brotherhood i think
>>
>>156968370
P R O T O S T A N D
R
O
T
O
>>
>>156969836
>hohenheim
>>
>>156952070

maybe he can in his awakened form
>>
>>156942295

OH
>>
O
>>
>>156943430
Rubber Nen isn't an ass pull though. Nen getting stronger after death was a thing even prior to Neferpitou's defeat. Hisoka's battle with Chrollo came after Neferpitou's defeat, where we first get what is perhaps the most prominent example of Nen getting stronger after death.

Hisoka set up a command beforehand, and then when he died his aura got strong enough to carry it out. It checks out logically, and it didn't come out of nowhere.

If you want to call something an asspull point out the Sun and the Moon. Nen getting stronger after death is one thing, but Nen getting so strong after death that it stays in Chrollo's book, circumventing one of its drawbacks is another altogether.
>>
>>156949235
That's just how Requiem works. They give you exactly what you want at the moment of upgrading the Stand. Giorno wanted to defeat Diavolo, so GER was given the opposing ability to King Crimson.

Polnareff wanted to keep the arrow away from Diavolo, and Silver Chariot acquired abilities to do the same.
>>
>>156970403
>Rubber Nen isn't an ass pull though.
Fucking this. Only speedreaders say HxH has asspulls.
>>
>>156970403
>what is brain damage
Hxhfags are deluded, I swear
>>
Most shonen really overexplain their powers. Why can't they just be fucking strong dudes? No, it has to be explained why Usopp in One Piece has really good aim, it's because of Haki. Can't he just have really good aim?
>>
>>156971435

agreed
>>
I like Nanatsu no Taizai style. It's simple and straight forward.

Also there's a difference between a good power system and a well done battle system.

Quirks is a quite boring power system, but it's handled to well by BnHA it becomes good.
Zanpakutous is a super creative and amazing power system, but is used in a retarded way.
>>
>>156971432
It's not like he had one to worry about from the beginning.
>>
>>156965738
Do not feed the trolls.
>>
>>156971152
>Killua's wish granting sister
>>
>>156942773
I like nen because I honestly believe it's the most consistent, yet versatile power system. One Piece and its Devil Fruit power system would have been alright imo until Haki came into the mix.
>>
>>156951188
My nigga.
>Using roller skates to stop time
>Using Roller Skates to control the world's superweapons
>Turn off gravity with ROLLER SKATES
Interspersed with pretty much porn and some philosophical blathering here and there
>>
>>156972167
Equivalent exchange.
>>
>>156973007
what was the exchange for saving Gon again?
>>
>>156973104
Killua holding hands with both forms of Nanika during their journey every night
>>
>>156973145
>equivalent
>>
>>156967898
Jesus fucking christ, how hard is it for you to understand, it's not like HIsoka made any decisions or anything after he suffocated.

>Nen goes on after someone dies
This has been stated since nen was even first explained by Wing, and it has been argued about when facing kurapika and the bomber "if we kill them this doesn't mean the bomb wont go off/the condition will go away"

>People can set rules and conditions to their abilities
Hisoka just fucking set a rule for his heart nen to go off if he dies, how hard is that to fucking fathom?????
>>
>>156974215
So if I placed a bomb in your bag and blew it up I could revive you by squeezing your heart and lungs?
>>
>>156940961

Devil fruits pre haki hax.
>>
Are HxH fags the worst fandom?
>>
>>156975370
Not even close.
>>
>>156975260
without Haki Caribou would be the strongest character in One Piece
>>
Even tho its pretty boring by its own I like quirk because its the most balance of all power system.
>>
>>156975565
>its the most balance of all power system.
It literally isn't. It's even less balanced than Devil Fruits.
>>
>>156975565
Dude the whole point of them is that they are not balanced at all. One of the first thing Deku says in the show is that not everyone is born equal.
>>
>>156975453
Not the guy who can literally turn into light?
>>
>>156971013
>They give you exactly what you want at the moment of upgrading the Stand.

Did you forget the time he pricked himself while he was chilling at home and got the exact same as he did in the last fight?
>>
>>156975830
exact same stand*
>>
JUTSU
U
T
S
U
>>
>>156975634
>>156975659
I mean its balance because every quirk have own counter limitations and downside on it self. Example is Mineta his sticky ball is pretty strong but he need to be careful to do not Peel to much of it or else he bleed.
>>
>>156971435
Because it's far more interesting for the powers to have rules on how they work, rather than just saying "it's magic, I don't need to explain shit".
>>
>>156940961
Nen
>>
>>156975453
No No No
since rubber can protect 1million volts lighting

Everything can happen in one piece universe
>>
File: Sponge Man - Today Is The Day.gif (4MB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
Sponge Man - Today Is The Day.gif
4MB, 450x320px
>>156940961
>(pic related)
>without breaking rules
WAIT JUST A FUCKING MINUTE OP, i like nen and HxH to but there was one thing about shizuku's power that confused me. one of the conditions of her power was that she cant suck up living things, but than she sucked up that spider guy's blood? last time a checked flowing blood in someones body is still alive, why the fuck is nobody talking about this inconsistency REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>156975416
Keep saying that HxH faggot
>>
>>156976218
>but than she sucked up that spider guy's blood?
She is a feminist so she doesn't consider men to be living things.

Or she just isn't smart enough to know blood is alive.
>>
>worst asspull abilities
>unnecessary complications that gets sidestepped anyway
>infinite reserve of power

Nen sucks
>>
>>156976637
>Nen
>infinite reserve of power

The fuck are you talking about, nigga?
>>
>>156973104
Nanika is a creature that wants to be loved, it's why it does these things for Killua. But keep in mind that although Killua himself won't pay the wish, if someone else used Nanika after Killua the fallback from healing Gon would be on his head.
>>
>>156940961
I love nen, but SUTANDOS are my favorite. Alchemy is up there too.
>>
>>156977332
so at what are the limits on her power? the brain and the heart on their own technically isnt alive, why the hell cant she just suck those out? also the smallest unit of life is the cell, which is what blood is made up of. If she said "im just going to suck up the plasma and platelets but leave the bloodcells" than that would not only be okay but a very clever and equally dangerous loophole in her power, but nope, the bitch just went Dracula on that spider dude. IT AINT CONSISTENT I TELLZ YA!
>>
>>156977332
Cells are living organism that reproduce
Blood consists of cells

>A component of a living body is not itself a living body
wew
>>
>>156975683
the faster you attacl Caribou the faster you get sucked in

doe I guess Kizaru could just see his powers with a long range attack and decide to go away cuz the fight would be pointless
>>
Nen is the best, and it damn well better be since no other manga spends as much time exploring the details of its power system. The powers are crazy but none of them seem forced or cheap because of all the limitations characters have to put on themselves to use them.

Devil Fruits are second because of their simplicity, they're easy to understand and offer a major weakness with the power. Also Oda goes out of his way to create unique and interesting powers that have lots of surprising applications. The fact that the nature of Devil Fruits themselves is an ongoing mystery is also a neat touch.

The shittiest power system is Fairy Tail's Magic. It tries to use the iconography of wizards and spells and stuff, but eventually you find out it's just another "POWER THAT COMES FROM YOUR LIFE SPIRIT" system like Chakra. None of that mage stuff where you study spell books or call upon the power of higher beings or whatever. Just BELIEVE REAL HARD until you can shoot fire. There are no real rules governing it and it comes off as lazy as fuck.
>>
>>156974215
>still hasn't refuted my point
>>
>156977603
>A component of a living body is not itself a living body

He was wrong about the blood but not about this. If she cut off someone's finger, the cells in there would die quickly, and then she could vacuum it up. The finger itself isn't alive and the microorganisms it contains can't survive without the host body.
>>
>>156976958
she went around nen's most basic principle just cuz Killua liked her

even if it's explained she's a strange creature from the Dark Continent it's shit
>>
>>156977761

I'm pretty sure lots of people have ranged attacks.
>>
File: IMG_0356.png (158KB, 549x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0356.png
158KB, 549x358px
>>156940961
Hokuto and Nanto
>>
>>156978052
You're correct, but that's not what he meant. He was under the impression that a living organism can't consist of other living organisms. "Component" doesn't necessarily mean you have to separate it from the main body.
>>
>>156965738
we all know
>>
>>156978099
Nanika killed far more people than she healed.
>>
>>156969598
>putting spirits in objects
>not cool
pick one
>>
>>156940961
The power of friendship!
>>
>>156940961
Toriko's by how fun it made everything.
>plot armor is a power
>final boss just eats it anyway
>>
>>156975139
Hisoka didn't die from the bomb tho, he just run out of air.
>>
>>156980562
So he's brain damaged?
>>
>>156945942
>alchemy
Shit is only "good" because you have to study it. Once you've studied it you can be OP as FUCK (Roy Mustang). It's really no different than any other power level faggotry. What sets FMA apart from other shit is that the power level shit isn't the basis of the story, it's just to look cool while the story is being told.
>>
>>156981097
Injury accuracy being bogus isn't a fault of the power system tho, it's just bad writting.
>>
>>156981578
Injury accuracy?
>>
>>156940961

Yu Yu Hakusho!
>>
>>156940961
>>Nen
>>Devil Fruits
You mean haki?
>>Stands
>>Alchemy
>>Quirk
You mean Plus Ultra?
>>
File: 1469701264670.jpg (14KB, 425x320px) Image search: [Google]
1469701264670.jpg
14KB, 425x320px
Nen is pretty overrated. Let's be honest, despite Nen having and incredible amount of nuances most of it's applications as been some basic as fuck super power bullshit that doesn't even justify the praise.
>>
The Chimera ants traumatised me
>>
>>156965660
>Ripple was the best because it had the most thought out and solid system.
Well that's bull. Remember that ripple is solar power and Joseph was just using everything as a conductor of ripple even metals which aren't even organic. Stands give one a specific power and the stand reflects the user
>>
File: 1391560436547.jpg (16KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1391560436547.jpg
16KB, 255x255px
>devil fruits

They're so overly simple and uninteresting.
>>
>>156985770
>it's applications as been some
Typical Nen hater.
>>
>>156976218
Nen users' create their abilities and set up how terms are defined. She's retarded and doesn't consider blood to be alive, so her ability still works, because it's using her definition of what "alive" is.
>>
>>156987843
Can Kurapika use his Phantom Troupe only abilities on someone he believes to be part of the Phantom Troupe even though they're not?
>>
>>156988219
Nen abilities work based on strength of mind and the user's own dedication to the limits they place on the abilities they create, there isn't some outside force that regulates how the powers work, so yes.

He'd probably die if he learned they weren't part of the troupe, though.
>>
>>156942295
yep
>>
>>156940961
Stands, because the possibilites are endless and they're visually the best imo.
(well, some are ugly as shit, but whatever)
>>
>>156970313
MY
>>
>>156953007
get your kikery off this board
>>
>>156971435
Because people start frodoing whenever something happens without explicitly stated justification.
>Earth god is able to easily defeat a massive enemy while standing in the earth country and directly drawing on the faith of its people
>Ends up having trouble fighting a similar strength enemy, but atop a several hundred feet tall building in a country where the inhabitants are being controlled and used as human shields
>hurr, inconsistent power levels
>>
Any power system that is literally random and practically a roll of the gacha where some people can practically be reality controlling gods while someone else power is "to fly for 5 seconds per day" or something like that is shit. Any power system where the person can create and modify their own power is much better.
>>
File: reeeeeeeeeee.jpg (45KB, 640x500px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeeeee.jpg
45KB, 640x500px
>>156942295
>Le epic "Oh my rubber nen" XD
Fuck off to reddit .
>>
>All these people who STILL don't understand Nen despite the manga being full of infodumps about it's mechanics

Or maybe that's why you don't understand it? Because Nen is way too complex for you and anything that doesn't fit the logic you got from your speedreading means it is an asspull? Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>156971435
Because when you know the rules then you know the stakes, which creates dramatic tension.
Thread posts: 279
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.