[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eva encodes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Capture3.png (3MB, 1968x777px) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.png
3MB, 1968x777px
Let's discuss what the best version of Eva is.
There are the SD and BD versions, as well as sephirotic and 2d4u's encodes.
I promised anon that I would post a comparison of 2d4u (left) and sephirotic (right)
>>
>>156776806
sephirotic for that natural feel.
>>
>>156776806
There is nothing more cancerous than changing the colours in a fucking encode.
>>
>>156776898
You do realize that the BD colors are NOT correct due to film aging right?
Sephirothic only restored the original colors.
>>
>>156777431
Sephirotic was pretty liberal about changing the colors for eva.
According to him, the original broadcast was underexposed, resulting in the fuzzy and dark appearance that can be seen in official eva releases.He adjusted the exposure to result in a much more colorfully diverse and sharper image, but whether that's appropriate for eva or not is up to debate. Seeing his version of eva was jarring to me and I ultimately preferred the original color scheme.
>>
>>156777619
His colors are actually pretty accurate to what it would look like if they scanned original cels.
Check Outlaw Star Blurays, which weren't made from a film master but they actually had all the cels and scanned those for the BD release.
It's the most beautiful BD set ever released and the most beautiful anime HD remaster ever made. It's literally just 1:1 cels in motion.
>>
>>156777704
Just from looking up images i see what you mean. Whether it was intended to appear that way or not is not really the sort of focus I wanted to call here. I remember being drawn to the unique visual aesthetic of the show on my first viewing (with a pirated sd version) as it tended to represent tonality I wasn't used to seeing in anime. For example, the comparison pic takes place during a battle scene. The left one indicates a more depressed, reflective state, whereas the right is more typical of an action scene. At the same time I'm not really sure if this argument bears merit as I might just be drawn to the version of eva im used to seeing. As i said before sephirotic's version was very jarring for me -- it felt exciting and bombastic, as opposed to the more reflective and subdued nature of the original color scheme.
>>
>>156778594
The thing with EVA is that Sephirotic's release was based on screenshots of both original Japanese TV broadcast image (which had much clearer image and colors due to not being aged yet) as well as cels (which are as super sharp and bright as you'd expect).
I'm not saying he may not have gone overboard in places, but his work is still definitely a lot closer to original cels than the objectively bad BD transfer.
People these days honestly have this bad image of old anime being all muddy looking simply because of DVD/BD transfers made in 00s/10s that legit look like shit due to original film decaying from age/being lost to fires/other bullshit.

Original anime cels are very much bright, sharp and clean as you'd expect them to be and if all old anime were scanned directly from cels you'd be able to see that, alas we only have stuff like Outlaw Star that did it. Pic related, aside from grain it's as clean and true to original cels as you can get.
>>
Post more comparisons.
>>
Reminder old anime doesn't have to look like muddy, yellow-green tinted blurry shit.
If only the companies actually cared about preserving their cels and doing proper BD masters.
>>
>>156776806
I spent like 20 minutes looking for this
It's one of the most autistic things I've ever seen, but what else can you expect from Eva?

https://sephirotic.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/neon-genesis-evangelion-an-article-about-color-correction-the-hideous-renewals-episode-19/
>>
>>156778876
Ignorant question, but if you say they refilmed all the cels why is there still film grain? Did they really refilm the cels analog and not digitally?
>>
>>156779937
>not being in the original threads where this all was explained
Faggot.
>>
>>156780053
Yes, because they were basically creating a new film master for preservation and decided to tackle two birds with one stone, the other bird being a BD release.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.