[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, so I recently started watching the KanColle anime with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 31

Okay, so I recently started watching the KanColle anime with a friend of mine - up to episode 5 thus far - and I feel like there's some unanswered questions which in a typical show there would be a POV character whose function would be to both ask these questions and to have them answered for the audience's benefit. Since the show lacks one and all the explanation of the premise comes in the form of some very brief narration at the start of the first episode, I'm hoping that I could get some answers here.

So, these girls are possessed by the ghosts of dead boats from long ago. Presumably that's World War 2, which again presumably was seventy or so years ago in the show's timeline. That means that this is a show where the events of World War 2 played out, and this is a world which has sophisticated naval technology available to it.

It seems a little weird that none of these characters ever questions their situation in life. That they're possessed by the spirit of a dead boat or even that boats have ghosts. Or indeed that they seem to have been named by their parents the same things that the corresponding boat ghost is. What sort of lives did they lead before coming to boat school? Is this ever referenced?
>>
The weapons and armaments used by these Abyssals seem to be so feeble that they're barely capable of damaging normal clothing. Given that this is a world where sophisticated naval technology exists, why not put these girls on boats rather than just sending them out with their little floaty foot things? It seems like if you put them on the deck of an actual battleship they'd be essentially invincible.
>>
>>156702267
It's a crappy browser game, it does not have to make sense.
>>
File: kancolle-anime-ep-01-review_27.jpg (521KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kancolle-anime-ep-01-review_27.jpg
521KB, 1920x1080px
>>156702295

It seems like the only real harm that ever comes to them is the result of a loss of bouyancy. Why not send them out with life jackets so if they start to sink they can shed all the boat parts they have strapped to them and then await rescue from, for example, a crew on a boat?

The pilots of those tiny planes. Who are they? Where do they come from? Where do they go? We never see them landing. Do they turn back into arrows at the end of a mission? I sort of envision them flying off to one of the multitude of little islands we see everywhere and starting their own societies there, constructing homes out of the remains of their tiny metal planes, spending their tiny lives attempting to puzzle out the inscrutable mystery of their existence.
>>
>>156702327

Right, but I'm talking about the anime, which obviously has its own story and its own internal reality. It has to stand or fall (or sink or float) on its own artistic merits, right?
>>
Do other types of boats have ghosts? Are there girls out there who are living out the lives of cruise ships and cargo vessels and tugboats and such? It seems that there are German boat girls. Are there American ones? If so, are they similarly plagued by these abyssals?

What threat do these abyssals actually pose? They seem ill-prepared to go onto the land, and if they did presumably there would be relatively easy ways to deal with them (police with handguns for instance). What's their endgame? Just pestering and annoying seagoing vessels?
>>
The admiral seems oddly silent and immobile. Am I right in envisioning him as a sort of Norma Bates type of situation where it's just a skeleton sitting in an office where his crazy secretary talks to him and pretends that she's being answered?

The characters themselves sometimes talk about themselves as though they were actual physical boats rather than just girls possessed by the ghosts of dead boats. Is this some sort of mental degeneration where their ego is corroded by the supernatual influence of the ghost possessing them, or what? What's going on when they talk about the details of these boats' construction as though it applied to their own flesh and blood bodies?
>>
Further to that point, do we ever see a boat girl who's like "Yeah, you know, I don't really care about this boat ghost that's haunting me. I want to live my own life that has no relation to anything naval?" Or is that a thought they're even capable of having or articulating? Does the boat ghost that haunts their brain rule them so completely that that sort of inner conflict never presents itself?
>>
File: toy-scl2-66101.jpg (31KB, 464x300px) Image search: [Google]
toy-scl2-66101.jpg
31KB, 464x300px
Has there ALWAYS been boat girls whose peculiar existence has never been particularly useful or practical before? Just going through mundane lives as seceretaries and waitresses, knowing that something is horribly missing from their lives but unable to articulate what that something might be? Muddling through their lives with a single personality trait each, their social lives so limited as to be considered mentally disabled by their peers who find it almost impossible to hold a conversation with them? Like, was there some girl in the 18th century who was possessed by the spirit of the Mayflower, who walked around with wooden planks tied to her waist and hips, endlessly going on about how good the wind is today, and what a splendid direction west is?
>>
>>156702335
They are "fairy"
>>
>>156702347
>It has to stand or fall (or sink or float) on its own artistic merits, right?
Yeah, and it's fucking shit.
Don't even bother thinking about this.
>>
I think you're giving too much thought to fapbait series, OP
>>
It's just advertisement for the mobage.
>>
thinking too hard m8, who is ur favorite bote
>>
File: big_1471678711_image.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
big_1471678711_image.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>>156702652
>who is ur favorite bote

It's hard to form any sort of attachment to any of the characters because I don't understand the stakes. I don't know what the conflict is, either on the meta level or on a personal level.

For example, the abyssals: A lot of them seem to just be pale girls in funny hats. Are they possessed by dead boats as well? If so, has there ever been an effort to capture and question one? What are their motives? Who gives them their funny hats? Perhaps they could be exorcised of the boat ghost in their head. It seems like a valuable avenue of investigation!
>>
>>156702628

Again, though, as its own creative work, it needs to be analyzed separate from the game in question. It has its own unique story and setting, and it's that which I'm hoping to get to the bottom of here. It has to answer to its own premise without reference to exterior works, right?
>>
File: Recruitment Poster.jpg (101KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
Recruitment Poster.jpg
101KB, 550x600px
>>156702335
>>
>>156702847
wich bote wud u fug
>>
fuck off
>>>/jp/
>>
>>156703070

I don't know! I feel like I need to know more about these people in order to form any sort of emotional attachment to them!

Like, okay. It seems like they have one personality trait each, which is associated with the boat whose ghost lives in their head. Is this the result of these boats somehow supernaturally retarding their growth as people and as emotional entities? IS THERE a fuller, more complete personality lurking somewhere inside of them which the boat ghost is keeping in check?

I'm wondering if they have families somewhere who resent these boat ghosts interfering with the natural growth and development of their daughters' personalities. I'm wondering if there's any instances of them hiring an exorcist to drive out the ghost so that their daughter can be a complete and functional human being instead of some finger-puppet for undead naval hardware.
>>
Dude your putting autismo-levels of time and thought into a shitty adaption all the people who care about when they watch this is the cute girls that's it.
>>
>This fucking autist
wew
>>
>>156703239
I thought they weren't "possessed by boat-ghosts" but were actually some kind of reincarnation of those ships. Like, they're not exactly human, they just sort of showed up, fully formed, knowing they were ships, summoned by whatever force spawned the Abyssals.

The Abyssals themselves are mostly twisted reincarnations of ships that sunk in the Pacific, and American airbases.

Presumably Abyssals can just sink normal shipping at will, and bombard shore facilities likewise, and can only be countered by the shipgirls because magic or something.

In the games, at least, all of these weird phenomena emanate from Pearl Harbor, which is some kind of interdimensional vortex or something. I guess the Hawaiian Islands all sank into the sea to be converted into demonic Grumman Hellcats.

Overall none of it makes sense, it's just a way to make a game and show about WW2 naval combat that will actually sell, which means putting cute girls in it and removing any actual controversy about Japan being on the wrong side.
>>
>>156703438

It just seems to me like there's a rich and complex mythology just below the surface which isn't quite coming into view. If these questions could be answered, just think of the discussions we could have regarding them! Why would so much time and effort be put into a story which poses so many intriguing questions without having the answers to give?
>>
>>156703520
More likely he's copy and pasting from somewhere. I've seen it in old KanColle threads.
>>
>>156703239
>I feel like I need to know more about these people in order to form any sort of emotional attachment to them!

Don't bother OP.
This is an extremely weak show.
There are plenty other mobage anime and they managed to be their own thing. And some of them are even great.
But the Kancoll IP owner just too afraid of alienating the core player to let the anime to be it own thing. (Also the director/writer is too at fault)
>>
I also have several questions.

Are all the people in this world boats or is it just these school girls? If it's just the girls do they deal with some sort of body dysmorphia?

Why are their diets such shit? Why do they only eat giant sundaes? Are the people who make these sundaes also boats?

Are there male boats? Are there males? I mean there's the admiral but there's no real proof that he is male. If there are no male boats how do they reproduce? Or are they built since they are boats?

What will happen to the boat girls once the abyssals are defeated? Do they continue to be boats or do they go on to normal careers?

How come they can float on the ocean but they don't float on top of the hot baths they take?
>>
>>156703564
>
I thought they weren't "possessed by boat-ghosts" but were actually some kind of reincarnation of those ships. Like, they're not exactly human, they just sort of showed up, fully formed, knowing they were ships, summoned by whatever force spawned the Abyssals.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. The show does a poor job of articulating this idea. The opening scene seemed to suggest that these were girls who were in some meaningful sense human beings who had these boat ghosts haunting their brains. If they're what you say they are, there's a whole other set of questions which this presents! Like, how do they convince the Japanese government to manufacture all these boat-shaped weapons (and I guess in the case of that one girl's case robots or something?) to make use of? It seems that absent any of that hardware they would just come across as mentally ill teenagers and/or otherkin who wouldn't be taken very seriously.

>The Abyssals themselves are mostly twisted reincarnations of ships that sunk in the Pacific, and American airbases.

>Presumably Abyssals can just sink normal shipping at will, and bombard shore facilities likewise, and can only be countered by the shipgirls because magic or something.

>In the games, at least, all of these weird phenomena emanate from Pearl Harbor, which is some kind of interdimensional vortex or something. I guess the Hawaiian Islands all sank into the sea to be converted into demonic Grumman Hellcats.

See? This right here. This is some pretty evocative mythology if pursued to its logical ends. The questions of what the origins of this mystical vortex is and what ultimately motivates the abyssals? We enter some kind of Pacific Rim-like territory there!
>>
>>156703764
>What will happen to the boat girls once the abyssals are defeated? Do they continue to be boats or do they go on to normal careers?

Well there's a really interesting question. If as that one anon suggested they were just summoned into existence in response to whatever supernatural power created the abyssals, do they then cease to exist afterwards? Is oblivion their reward for success? Or are they now cursed to the remainder of a human lifetime lacking the one motivation which made their anthropomorphism make sense? What does a girl who is only interested in standing around on the water shooting at slender pale girls with funny hats to do in a world where that's no longer possible?
>>
>>156703622
He's way too busy discussing with himself, he won't listen.
>>
>>156703764
>How come they can float on the ocean but they don't float on top of the hot baths they take?

My presumption is that their body chemistry is such that they are less dense than water and therefore prone to sitting on the surface of it under normal conditions, but those hot baths they have at their base are filled with a substance which is slightly less-dense than their own bodies, allowing them not only to sink into it but also enjoy some sort of restorative properties thereof. Perhaps it's a very diffuse soup of nanomachines.
>>
>>156703765
>how do they convince the Japanese government to manufacture all these boat-shaped weapons
See this boat? you can fuck it. Thats how.
>>
>>156703985

Oh my god that's hilarious. I desperately want to see this hideously sordid backstory where wealthy and well-positioned history fetishists in the government are plied for their support through sexual favours on the parts of the first few boat girls to appear, trading blowjobs, for like... docks and such.
>>
File: Kaga Lawson cute 2.png (893KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Kaga Lawson cute 2.png
893KB, 1200x1500px
>>156702267
Watch it for Kaga-san, you will not regret it
>>
>>156702628
>mobage.
KanColle is a browser game, not a mobage. Learn what the word mobage stands for before you use it.
>>
>>156703872
>My presumption is that their body chemistry is such that they are less dense than water
You're fucking retarded, it's literally fairy magic. Their rigging completely runs on it and that's the only reason why only their weapons can hurt abyssals.
>>
>>156704511
>You're fucking retarded, it's literally fairy magic. Their rigging completely runs on it and that's the only reason why only their weapons can hurt abyssals.

See, this is the sort of thing which doesn't seem to be discussed within the anime and which I'm trying to learn about. THANK YOU. This is exactly the sort of answer I created this thread to hear.

So, tell me more about this fairy magic. Who are the fairies in question and what is their agenda in all of this?
>>
>>156704625
I'm not answering some retarded secondary.
>>
OP, I want to be irritated by how absurd you're being, but this whole analysis is so hilarious/weirdly compelling I just can't bring myself to be.
>>
>>156704652

(finally somebody gets it)
>>
>>156704679
Fuck off.
>>
>>156704690

Oh you fuck off you joyless clod. This shit is hilarious.
>>
File: fvgbhn.png (116KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
fvgbhn.png
116KB, 346x346px
>>156702652
The pothead
>>
>>156703764
>Why are their diets such shit? Why do they only eat giant sundaes?

Speculation: If as that one anon suggested these girls aren't really human at all, but literally supernatural creatures who are summoned into existence by the current conflict, perhaps we shouldn't approach these sundaes as food in the classical sense of the word.

These entities plainly derive some sort of psychological benefit from acting out the parts of being teenaged girls despite literally being nothing more than a sunken ship wearing the seeming of human flesh. Perhaps whoever prepares their meals does so not with nutritional benefit in mind but simply the APPEARANCE of "eating." If so, why not provide them with something which would look and feel delicious and delightful even though they neither need nor benefit from actual human digestive processes?

"Just go ahead and give them whatever you would give someone who's going to die tomorrow anyway and therefore doesn't need to worry about their weight or health. It literally matters not one bit. You could give them a tire to chew on and it would all be the same to them. Also, fairy magic."
>>
>>156705009
You're an idiot.
>>
>>156705206

Is /a/ the most joylessly obtuse board on this site? I feel like /co/ would have a lot more fun with the sort of silly facetious nonsense that OP is laying down here rather than just snarling and grunting angrily.
>>
>>156705246
/co/ is a shithole so I'm not surprised.
>>
>>156705246

A lot of people here are the sorts of literal autists who hear about things like the "Jar-Jar Binks was secretly a Sith Lord" theory and rather than playing along with the joke and laughing, would get literally angry at the person suggesting it whilst furiously asserting that there's nothing in the printed script that suggests any such hidden depth. They just completely fail to grasp the social cue that the person suggesting it is being playful and trying to have a good time.

Don't worry about it, OP. You can't play catch with a blind man, and that's what you're trying to do by engaging in this sort of light-hearted make-believe on this board.
>>
>>156705401
>Jar-Jar Binks was secretly a Sith Lord
Way more hilarious than any forced theory here senpai. Just because something's dumb doesn't mean it's hilarious, absurdity alone gets old quite fast.
>>
File: 1489790108150.jpg (858KB, 1261x2057px) Image search: [Google]
1489790108150.jpg
858KB, 1261x2057px
>>156702347
>It has to stand or fall (or sink or float) on its own artistic merits, right?
I think you're asking too much of the KanColle anime, anon.
>>
Are the ship girls actually hundreds of feet tall/long like regular warships? I never understood this. If they are, maybe that's why you never see regular humans around.
>>
>>156706429

That's something I've wondered too. Without ever seeing a real human being, we have no sense of scale. For all we know, the seemingly-tiny cannons that we see them carrying around are literally the size of actual destroyers' main guns, and this is what makes them as effective as actual naval vessels in combat. If we ever saw them in the same scene as an actual human being or an actual boat we would at least have something to go on, but the social isolation on their base denies us this opportunity.

It certainly is interesting to imagine their classrooms and hallways as being hundreds of feet tall, and that any human who entered these buildings being trampled underfoot by these titanic figures who don't even notice the tiny people getting trampled underfoot.
>>
>>156706618

That could even be why we never see the enigmatic admiral: He's so tiny in comparison with these giants under his command that to actually depict him on-screen would appear absurd.
>>
File: 1493340324783.png (171KB, 335x358px) Image search: [Google]
1493340324783.png
171KB, 335x358px
im honestly surprised no ultra autist popped into this thread and explained all of OPs questions.

You disappoint me /a/, i remember when you were cool/.
>>
>>156707082
At this hour? No shit Sherlock.
>>
>>156706429

Actually, if they are giants, it answers a LOT of the unanswered questions raised in this thread.

For example. We have these biomechanical whale-like things the abyssals make use of. They're substantially larger than the girls, but if they're human-sized these things are only about the size of a minivan. Not much of a threat, really! But if these girls are hundreds of feet tall, these whale-like things are TITANIC in size and a genuinely horrifying threat. Suddenly the whole conflict is cast in a new light and makes a LOT more sense.

What's more, if as that one anon suggested, these girls are just sort of magically conjured, fully-formed into existence, but their guns and armaments aren't an intrinsic part of their bodies, it presents this difficult question: How did the first one convince the Japanese government that she was what she said she was and that it was necessary to manufacture the weapons and armour she needed? If she's human-sized, she just appears mentally ill. If on the other hand she's hundreds of feet tall, you have to instantly give her claims of supernatural origins heightened (no pun intended) credence, and all subsequent decisions regarding her and her subsequent giantess bretheren a fair hearing.

I think we may just have cracked the case here!
>>
>>156707082

Come on, don't be so harsh. To their credit, many of the people responding to my questions took the opportunity to tell me to fuck off, which is a great deal LIKE answering my questions in the sense that doing so represents the act of acknowledging that the question has been asked.

I like to think they were doing their best. I'm a generous person. I'm granting them the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>156707315

It also addresses questions like "why not outfit them with personal floatation devices" or "why not have boats on-hand as rescue crews for when they lose bouyancy?" If they're these titanic figures, neither would be practical measures to take.
>>
>>156702376
>American ones
Iowa and Saratoga.
>British one
Warspite, and some say Hood might join
>French
Commandant Teste. Similarly plagued with abysal as AV water hime

>>156703070
all of them
>>
File: 1462860633249.jpg (340KB, 682x965px) Image search: [Google]
1462860633249.jpg
340KB, 682x965px
Christ, I like Kantai Collection, but this thread is autistic as fuck.

>>156702847
>It's hard to form any sort of attachment to any of the characters because I don't understand the stakes
Nobody has ever formed an attachment to a Kantai Collection character based on the anime alone. It's not physically possible (with the possible exception of Kongou).

Hell, I base most my impressions of the characters off fan material (of which there is an eye-watering amount).
>>
File: 1473088361761.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473088361761.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>156702267
Anon, I think i can save you some time and effort.

If you really care about the "boat ghost" canon of the KanColle anime, apparently the movie goes into it in more detail. But it hasn't been released on BD yet, so you will have to wait.
>>
File: 1482149369221.jpg (835KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482149369221.jpg
835KB, 850x1200px
>>156706429
>Are the ship girls actually hundreds of feet tall/long like regular warships?
No, but it is a fan theory held onto by some people. There's a reason the franchise has a surprising amount of crossover art with Pacific Rim.

>>156711460
>and some say Hood might join
That claim is solely based on rumours, but I really hope that it is true. It would make a lot of sense.
>>
>>156711832
>No, but it is a fan theory held onto by some people. There's a reason the franchise has a surprising amount of crossover art with Pacific Rim.

Oh my god that's amazing. Yes. Give me THAT anime, Japan. A hundred times better than the one you produced.
>>
>>156704511
>it's literally fairy magic. Their rigging completely runs on it and that's the only reason why only their weapons can hurt abyssals.

This prompts a corollary question: Are the fairies the one who produce the weapons and armaments? Is there some underground fairy ironworks where they craft these proportionately giant boat parts to slap onto these girls?

Because if so that's enchantingly entertaining and I want to see it.
>>
>>156711752
>If you really care about the "boat ghost" canon of the KanColle anime, apparently the movie goes into it in more detail. But it hasn't been released on BD yet, so you will have to wait.

I am unironically intrigued and will investigate when the opportunity presents itself.
>>
File: 1470446029175.jpg (848KB, 1000x1399px) Image search: [Google]
1470446029175.jpg
848KB, 1000x1399px
>>156712036
>Give me THAT anime, Japan
The Giant girl fetish is a niche one to say the least. Hard to market what could be described as a "fapbait" series when you're targeting such a small market segment.

>>156712125
I think the BD should be released soon enough, but the question is whether anybody will be bothered to translate it. The KanColle community was initially quite interested in the movie, but the interest died off for the most part when a plot synopsis found its way online.

Personally I'll watch it though. It's a silly anime movie with a stupid plot, but the music is good and the action is meant to be pretty decent.
>>
>>156712338
>The Giant girl fetish is a niche one to say the least. Hard to market what could be described as a "fapbait" series when you're targeting such a small market segment.

Therein lies the problem. I'm not looking at it for fetish fuel; I want it because it's gloriously absurd.

Perhaps this places me outside of the core target demographic.
>>
File: Kaga bikini summer.jpg (68KB, 850x548px) Image search: [Google]
Kaga bikini summer.jpg
68KB, 850x548px
Kaga is love, Kaga is life
>>
>>156711832

Somebody please make this into an anime.

> The setting is sometime in the distant future
> War between nations is outlawed
> Instead, nations settle their differences by constructing giant autonomous robotic ship girls who fight each other for the honor of their countries
>>
File: 40baeccea12a4e48d09ad551b187864e.png (585KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
40baeccea12a4e48d09ad551b187864e.png
585KB, 800x1067px
Don't overthink it OP, most of the folks out there just got into it due the overwhelming amount of cute girls to pick from, I know I did, the fan art is great, the game was alright, the anime was okayish. I think the premise is fucking retarded but hey, still love the franchise.
>>
>>156712547
Sound like a GATE type anime where burgers shat every single thread because they can't get over their butthurt about their anime stand-in guaranteed lose over the main Japanese protagonists.
>>
>>156712726
>the anime was okayish

That feels generous.
>>
>>156712547
>G Gundam with shipgirls

I'd watch it.
>>
>>156702267
The anime isn't canon. Tanaka himself said so.
>>
File: 1487763980629.jpg (530KB, 960x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1487763980629.jpg
530KB, 960x1344px
>>156712994
Did the anime even serve its purpose as being a promotional tool for the game in the end?
>>
>>156704483
The problem is that they assume burage and mobage are the same thing then go on to point out differences between KanColle and stuff like GBF and F/GO without even understanding that the differences exist in the first place because they were designed for different platforms.
>>
>>156713027
Not really. People did buy it because waifus though
>>
>>156711670
>>156711752
>>156712726
All he's doing is selectively copying and pasting shit from other sites. Figure it out.
>>
>>156713076
But with the exception of Nagato and Kongou, it didn't even have the best waifus.

>>156713129
On what sites do they post that level of concentrated austims?
>>
>>156713129

I challenge you to google literally any series of words longer than a short phrase which I wrote and find them anywhere else on the internet.

What kind of bizarre criticism is that, anyway? "Pssh. Nobody is capable of asking questions on their own. He had to have help from somewhere else."
>>
>>156713160
It sold well, and I refuse to believe that world is such a shitty place it was due to successful promotion
>>
>>156713240
Probably all Kagafags.
>>
>>156704353
Kaga's fucking trash
>>
>>156702267
>So, these girls are possessed by the ghosts of dead boats from long ago.
The anime doesn't answer this, but there is some debate over whether shipgirls are girls possessed by the ghosts of ships or ships given human form.
>and this is a world which has sophisticated naval technology available to it.
It should be, but the anime once again plays it really safe.
>The weapons and armaments used by these Abyssals seem to be so feeble that they're barely capable of damaging normal clothing
You can see it only in a few scenes, but the shipgirls do have an AT field of some sort. The scene where I remember it most is Episode 3, where you can see one of the Abyssal planes' weapons visibly hit the barrier. The clothing damage is just the excess damage that penetrates.
>>
>>156702335
>It seems like the only real harm that ever comes to them is the result of a loss of bouyancy.
It's unclear. Referring to the aforementioned barrier (in the original game it represents whatever effect prevents a ship above heavy damage from being destroyed in only one hit), only one ship had her barrier completely give out, Kisaragi, and she was hit in the back. We conveniently don't see her back when she sinks, so she may have actually been badly wounded for all we know.
>Why not send them out with life jackets so if they start to sink they can shed all the boat parts they have strapped to them and then await rescue from, for example, a crew on a boat?
We don't know exactly how powerful abyssal weapons are against conventional ships, but given that the prologue says that shipgirls are the only ones capable of resisting them it can be assumed that any rescue effort would lead to more deaths anyway.
>The pilots of those tiny planes. Who are they? Where do they come from? Where do they go?
They're fairies. Since some fairies specifically represent historical squadrons we can surmise they have some relation to historical pilots.
>We never see them landing. Do they turn back into arrows at the end of a mission?
Yes, or as Shikigami, depending on who is launching them. The anime only shows bow-type aircraft carriers, but others use scrolls or puppet boxes (I don't know how that works either).
>>
>>156714437
>The anime only shows bow-type aircraft carriers, but others use scrolls or puppet boxes (I don't know how that works either).
What's the weird system Graf Zeppelin uses? Something to do with cards if I remember right.

My favourite has to to be Sara with the Tommy Gun launcher though.
>>
File: image002.png (18KB, 240x288px) Image search: [Google]
image002.png
18KB, 240x288px
>>156702376
>Do other types of boats have ghosts?
Possibly, but all shown thus far are warships. They do seem to be tied specifically to world war II warships. The movie clarifies that abyssals and shipgirls are both rooted in World War II war dead, with shipgirls representing the more positive thoughts of those who died at sea and abyssals representing their baser nature.
>Are there American ones? If so, are they similarly plagued by these abyssals?
Yes. We don't know whether they have the same problems.
>What threat do these abyssals actually pose? They seem ill-prepared to go onto the land
In-game and in LNs it's clear that they do have the capability to land and have land forces, though how it's done is never explicitly shown.
>What's their endgame? Just pestering and annoying seagoing vessels?
53% of the United States' Imports come from the sea, and 25% by land, and that's only because of its land connection to Canada and Mexico. For an island nation like Japan, maritime transport accounts for the vast majority of its trade. Just destroying ships would be sufficient to cause a recession.

>>156714604
Yeah, Graf uses a duel disk of some sort.
>>
File: 1488999034333.jpg (2MB, 1800x2520px) Image search: [Google]
1488999034333.jpg
2MB, 1800x2520px
Remember when the anime was airing and everybody was raving about how the abyssals represented sunk American ships?

To be fair, there was a lot of evidence to suggest that the Wo-class antagonist was the USS Lexington.
>>
For fucks sake it's a fucking game you turbonerd aspies.

Rate my wife
>>
File: kancolle-anime-ep-12-review_09.jpg (685KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kancolle-anime-ep-12-review_09.jpg
685KB, 1920x1080px
>>156702376
>and if they did presumably there would be relatively easy ways to deal with them (police with handguns for instance).
Do you really think you can kill something that large with a handgun? Also fuck, I forgot how QUALITY that last episode was.
>The admiral seems oddly silent and immobile. Am I right in envisioning him as a sort of Norma Bates type of situation where it's just a skeleton sitting in an office where his crazy secretary talks to him and pretends that she's being answered?
That's just Diomedea trying to keep the Admiral a self-insert. But yes, some doujin artists see it that way. Particularly those who prefer lesbians.
>The characters themselves sometimes talk about themselves as though they were actual physical boats rather than just girls possessed by the ghosts of dead boats.
Again, the anime doesn't make clear whether shipgirls are humans who have gained the powers and memories of warships, or warships that have gained the bodies and souls of humans. In the latter case, it would be completely normal for a ship to still think of itself as a ship, i.e. a reverse sort of anthropomorphism. In the case of the former, then have the problem you mentioned, that
>Further to that point, do we ever see a boat girl who's like "Yeah, you know, I don't really care about this boat ghost that's haunting me. I want to live my own life that has no relation to anything naval?"
We don't see any example of that, but it is stated by the developers that shipgirls that are dismantled in-game live as normal girls, so it is possible.
>>
>>156714729
This thread is specifically about the anime though, which is probably why it hasn't been deleted yet.

>Rate my wife
Another bland destroyer/10
>>
File: 1490458705735.gif (2MB, 495x281px) Image search: [Google]
1490458705735.gif
2MB, 495x281px
>>156714789
>Also fuck, I forgot how QUALITY that last episode was.
There was a lot of quality in the action scenes in general.
>>
>>156702433
>Has there ALWAYS been boat girls whose peculiar existence has never been particularly useful or practical before?
We've only seen World War II ships, so we don't know.
>Like, okay. It seems like they have one personality trait each, which is associated with the boat whose ghost lives in their head.
That's probably just bad writing.
>>
So did /a/ ever watch the movie?
>>
>>156714793
>destroyer
>>
File: 1491176097758.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1491176097758.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>156714824
That gif really sums up how retarded the franchise is.

>>156714839
Not out on BD yet, as far as I am aware. May never get subbed even when it does release.
>>
>>156714850
With a chest like that, she might as well be.
>>
>>156714880
>That gif really sums up how retarded the anime is.
Fixed.

>>156714909
By that logic Gangut is a DD.
>>
>>156714944
>By that logic Gangut is a DD.
Big breasts for big boats!

Seriously though, I miss the whole "displacement represented by chest size" thing.
>>
>>156714909
whoa whoa whoa, you can call my wife an overgrown destroyer but I'll fucking eat your eyeballs if you say that to my face mate.
>>
>>156714992
I don't.
>>
File: 1476906330406.jpg (215KB, 614x690px) Image search: [Google]
1476906330406.jpg
215KB, 614x690px
>>156714995
Nice flat-top.
>>
File: raifu.jpg (2MB, 2000x2906px) Image search: [Google]
raifu.jpg
2MB, 2000x2906px
When are we getting adaptation of the superior game?
>>
>>156715209
The GoGames ripoff?
>>
>>156714839
It came to my country last month. It was pretty bad, the story and direction were terrrible and most of the people around me were going wtf when the end credits rolled. The action and animation were pretty good though, and the fairies had more screen time.
>>
>>156715281
Pretty sure that is the chink kancolle Girls Frontline but with guns and less RNG more squad positioning ,turn based and skill activation.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170424-210836.png (984KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170424-210836.png
984KB, 1440x2560px
>>156702267
All i care about is they ruined my lovely Nagato
>>
>>156713027
Nope. Just check the YouTube comments. They ruined Nagato for a group of people that don't even play the game.
>>
>>156717374
>They ruined Nagato for a group of people that don't even play the game.
How so? I haven't watched the anime since it aired and I don't remember much bitching about Nagato.
>>
>>156714224
>>156714437
>>156714633
>>156714789

Though many of these answers are either less-interesting or less-satisfying than I would have hoped, I nevertheless thank you for taking the time and making the effort to answer all of them. The show is, if it is as you suggest, less-engrossing than I had hoped, but at least now I know more than I did!
>>
>>156717572
Lots of pedantic bitching because her voice sounded different.
>>
File: kuma twintail.jpg (136KB, 777x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kuma twintail.jpg
136KB, 777x1200px
Has there been any translations lately?

>>156714729

KUMA CUTE
>>
>>156717647
But Yamato's voice change was far more noticeable if I recall correctly - it didn't even resemble her in-game voice in the slightest. But I don't like Yamato's game voice, so that didn't bother me.
>>
>>156717711
Quite a lot here >>156648573
if you missed it.
>>
>>156717899
When was Gangut announced? I've been out of the loop for a few weeks.
>>
>>156718215
Last week, but general consensus was that it'd be Petropavlovsk, not Gangut herself.
>>
>>156718320
>but general consensus was that it'd be Petropavlovsk, not Gangut herself.
Why is that? Gangut is the nameship of the class after all. Nameships usually get priority.
>>
>>156718320
Because people missed out that the foreign BB's name had nothing to do with the event's location.

>>156718361
Not really.
>>
>>156718361

Admiral Hipper, Maestrale, Vittorio Veneto, Lexington and Queen Elizabeth when?
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.