[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a bit of an odd thread, because it verges with /tv/ in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: c189e317[1].jpg (72KB, 487x356px) Image search: [Google]
c189e317[1].jpg
72KB, 487x356px
This is a bit of an odd thread, because it verges with /tv/ in some ways, but I'm mostly looking for perspective on this matter.

Death Note was incredibly popular internationally around 2006-2008. It was a series with a low entry level and an intriguing premise. I think that despite being seen as an entry level series, it is generally accepted by the more experienced fans of manga and anime. It's an entertaining cat and mouse series where the protagonist and antagonist aren't the hero and villain, respectively, by default. The animation looks pretty good even by today's standards. Lots of detail is present in all the key animation. Mamoru Miyano's performance as Light is fondly remembered, like pic related ("KEIKAKU DOORI") being said in such a memorable way, and especially his final freakout.

All this being said, there seems to be a set of people who disdain the idea of American live-action adaptations of Japanese properties. Historically speaking, American live-action adaptations of anime tend to be panned by both critics and fans of the original series. But I feel that there have been improvements. I've known people who were radically against the live-action GitS, but it wasn't that bad. It wasn't great for that matter either, but it wasn't the burning wreckage, the next Dragon Ball Evolution like everyone was saying it would be. To me, Netflix's Death Note doesn't look bad at all going by previews, but I know there is a vocal subset of fans who are upset.

For me, it's hard to be upset about the westernization of the story because there are already four live-action Japanese movies. I'm curious as to what your perspectives are on the future of western live-action adaptations, whether the new Death Note will be good, and even what your thoughts were on the new GitS.
>>
>>156701924
- Death Note was bad to begin with
- Anime adaptions of manga are generally inferior
- Japanese live action adaptions of manga are generally inferior
- Hollywood adaptions of anything are generally inferior
I'm sure this will be great
>>
>>156702432
DN is considerably better than 3/4 of the shit that are being discussed in their own threads at this moment
>>
File: 1474659154752.jpg (156KB, 772x784px) Image search: [Google]
1474659154752.jpg
156KB, 772x784px
>>
>>156701924
I think if you want to write your Americanized, nigger infested Death Note fanfic there are many websites on which to post it on, but raping a preexisting series and especially trying to make money off it is simply revolting
>>
Making a local adaptation of a show just tends to go poorly most of the time anyway (see: The Inbetweeners, Top Gear). I think it is a symptom of American television producers in general to change things unnecessarily to localize what doesn't need to change.
>>
>>156701924
You're just trying to infect other stuff with Hollywood bullshit. It doesn't matter how many words you use to try to talk around it.
>>
It's because of how unnecesary it is (as you said, there is already a TV show that follows the manga pretty well, two fucking novels, FOUR movies) and how Netflix productions are usually pandering to "innovative" audiences while being usually creatively bankrupt. This leads to the anime adaptation not being something of artistic interest or value, thus an interesting viewpoint or perspective, but a product of controversy for a cheap buck.

Also, Light is supposed to be an adonis.

By the way, I don't remember anyone complaining when Benicio del Toro made Pacific Rim and then announced the negociations to make Monster for the HBO.
>>
Nigger Note is the biggest form of blackwashing in the recent years. It's almost insulting in how obvious it is. Take a character that's knows for a few things (sickly pale look, shut in genius, sociable and strong when he needs to be) and strip them from him and make him a stereotypical streetwise black guy. The fact that they make him black demonstrates that they are only doing that to take a few bucks from blacks and BLACKED fans, otherwise they should just go all the way and make him latino or flip.

t. a smaller, more repressed minority than nigs
>>
They just can't fathom that it could be good. That's it. And I honestly hope they all get proven wrong.

Then there is the shitheaded minority of people that want to keep anime all to themselves. Fuck those people.
>>
>>156701924
How about the Japanese TV drama thing? Is it any good?
>>
>>156701924
>I'm curious as to what your perspectives are on the future of western live-action adaptations, whether the new Death Note will be good, and even what your thoughts were on the new GitS.

I think most people don't have a problem with western adaptations as long as they aren't shit.
Edge of Tommorow was a fantastic adaptation. IMO it was even better than the original.
GitS wasn't total shit. It was just disappointing and the whole "muh corporate badguys" plot felt really forced.
Death Note could be adapted fine. It just looks bad from the trailer and the casting. And no I'm not complaining about whitewashing, it's more that the messy-haired pale european with dark circles under his eyes who doesn't wear shoes is being played by a shaved black man wearing boots.
>>
File: okitegami_ban.jpg (122KB, 871x513px) Image search: [Google]
okitegami_ban.jpg
122KB, 871x513px
>>156709174
Too bad mods in /a/ didnt knew what is live action
>>
>>156701924
Arkada?
>>
It brings the story of Death Note to a wider audience. While the characters and plot may change, the theme and story is still there. Light will get a book, he'll kill people, rivalry between Light and L and then a conclusion, which is identical to what happens in the manga, anime and the five thousand other live action adaptations.
Adapting the characters identically as they are seen in the anime would be a huge mistake, as you can't really translate an anime artstyle over to real life. If Netflix were to adapt the death note series into a live action 1:1 then it WOULD be an unnecessary adaptation because it would serve no purpose other than a different take on the anime.
With what netflix is doing, the adaptation has a purpose which is to take great storytelling (which death note really is) and adapt in a way that can be enjoyed by everyone.
>>
>>156703102
That's not setting the bar very high. There's no good anime this season.
>>
>>156701924
>Lets take thing and make it not thing
>It might be good
Fuck off.
>>156706221
>that want to keep anime all to themselves.
You fuck off too. Literally not an anime.
>>
>>156710738
>Let's take thing and make it not thing
this
>>
>>156701924
if you want to discuss liveaction go post it on /jp/
>>
>>156703102
Absolutely.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.