[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Defend this dubtards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0H

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 4476845-1442409759-36664.png (467KB, 1063x793px) Image search: [Google]
4476845-1442409759-36664.png
467KB, 1063x793px
Defend this dubtards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0HKCxfwkmM

skip to 2:50, not only does Sean do an embarrasing attempt at portraying a teen goku, but the dialogue is some fanfic garbage that is more in line in some stupid chick flick and not consistent with a Goku being an oblivious doofus who only marries her to keep a promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAGibRSXyo4

Not only does Goku sound better here, but his "proposal" is actually in character and isn't some corny bullshit.
>>
>>156464958
it was an old, strange time

If only we had a complete DB Kai.
>>
>>156464958
But DBZ was never about shitty romance scenes. I don't think any eng dub ever does those well, and it doesn't look like this is an exception.

Honestly though the biggest reason I like the dub better is
1. Goku sounds way better than the shitty japanese VA.
2. The music (sue me)

For anything that's aired in the last 10+ years, I am 100% behind the japanese version. English actors are typically pretty fucking trash, especially when voicing weird ass Japanese lines.

But DBZ? No. No the dub was good. Real good.
>>
>>156465110
You're missing the point. The botching of the romance scene is just a microcosm of everything wrong with the dub. Sean doesn't understand Goku's character and didn't even realize that he's an oblivious doofus and tried to play Goku off like a whiney Superman knockoff. He's just miscast, whatever grievances I have towards other members like Sabat who could be hilariously cheesy at worst, Sean just didn't "get" Goku. Well on top of having a horrendous voice and being the poster boy for the decades long joke of DBZ being a series about constipation.

I don't think people realize how similar Goku is to Luffy. Why are people fine with Luffy sounding like he is but everyone flips a shit with Goku's voice actor? Is it cause he's more "jacked"?
>>
>>156465198
Is it that he doesn't understand, or that it was changed for the purpose of localization?

But my point is that the Jap dub Goku fucking sucks. Everything from his mannerisms to his voice just drives me up the wall.

Let's say you're completely right here. It doesn't matter. Most people prefer the eng dub Goku, regardless of whether or not it accurately portrays the source material, because he's a more believable and entertaining character in the eng dub.

It's a preference thing, of course, and not everyone is going to agree. Some people place the accuracy of the source material as the highest priority, some people like the shitty jap version better just because, and others, well, we like the eng dub.

This isn't a winnable argument. All you're going to see is people trying to shove their opinions down each other's throats. Nothing you say or do is going to change how people feel.
>>
>>156465310
>Most people prefer the eng dub Goku

You mean most people in North America?
Even dub fans are shitting on Seans Goku Black performance.
>>
>>156464958
>m-muh goku sounds like a woman
>m-muh dragonball kai dub is actually good
>>
>>156465429
Didn't even know there was a super dub yet so I'm only referencing the original DBZ.

What a shame though. I was really hoping they would keep that shit-stain isolated in japan. There is literally nothing that can be done to make Super a consumable piece of media.
>>
>>156465110
>1. Goku sounds way better than the shitty japanese VA.
>2. The music (sue me)
both wrong

jap goku is best goku
jap music is best music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijusfwQG5QM&list=PLJU9Cog9mm3AzU8thD0iT5KVAmchcM-3h
>>
>>156465310
>Is it that he doesn't understand, or that it was changed for the purpose of localization?

I'm pretty sure it's cause Sean took liberties with it himself. I've heard that Sean actually used to whine that Goku's character's was too dumb who only cared about fighting. He's just miscast.

Not to mention his Superman speech he gave to frieza when he first turned Super Saiyan.

But let's say we put aside his wrongful interpretation of the character, his screams have been the poster boy for the series being about constipation. Nozawa Goku at least captures the youthful innocence and dumbassness of the character pretty well.
>>
The only people that watch Dragon Ball dubbed in English are literal niggers.
>>
>>156465492
That's what I'm saying--it's an unwinnable argument.

I feel like the jap version is absolute trash.
You don't.

The end.

>>156465500
Makes sense to me. You can call it a miscast, and if you're prioritizing faithfulness to the source material, (which I wholeheartedly understand), you're probably right. But me, well, I agree with him on Goku being a shitty character and I prefer the way he portrays him in the dub.
>>
>>156465506
so the main dbz demographic?
>>
>>156465570
yes, it's unwinnable, because the jap version is the best

watch all of dragonball and z in japanese, then try to watch the english dub. you won't be able to
>>
>>156465429
I have to wonder how much of this is people just preferring the voice they heard first and internalizing it as the "correct" and "true" interpretation of the character. It's the same shit as people who defend the old Pokemon and Sailor Moon dubs. The character names were changed and the dialogue was barely faithful to the original, yet people still look upon it fondly and even use the awful dubbed names somehow thinking it's better than the original when it is quite literally an inferior product. I have no idea how people can say that the Dragonball dub was good pre-Kai, as the censorship was so fucking pervasive and the scripts were altered for no logical reason (i.e. superman goku). I see the perspective of people who dislike Nozawa's voice but the hatred is utterly overblown sometimes. Most of the criticism has no substance beyond "not muh goku".

I'm still hoping that Kappei Yamaguchi inherits the role when Nozawa inevitably kicks the bucket.
>>
>>156465570
>don't like Goku's character
>likes Sean's interpetration of it

How much of Dragonball (I'm referring to part 1 and 2) did you read/watch? Kid Goku is one of the best shounen protagonists ever. He was pretty cool till Frieza actually.
>>
>>156465596
I watched kai in Japanese. Not sure if you wanna count that. I missed the dub the whole time.
>>
>>156465632
Talking about DBZ specifically. I never watched the original dragonball. Just wasn't my jam.

>>156465619
I often wonder that as well, but it's impossible to tell. Most people that grew up with Toonami / Adult Swim feel that way about the dubs, but I've watched a lot of the newer dubs that have come out in the past decade and the quality of the voice acting feels as though it's dropped significantly. I can't tell if I'm just imagining that or if it's actually true.

But yeah, after I went through Kai I decided that I just really really really hate Nozawa. I've watched hundreds of anime in Japanese, and Nozawa's goku is the only voice that actually grates on my ears. It's not a "it's not my goku!" it's a "I fucking hate the way you sound". I wish I could explain it better than that, but I can't.
>>
>>156465619
>Nozawa will die in your lifetime
>most of the VAs in classic anime will too
I can't deal with this.
>>
>>156465753
No offense, but if you haven't watched or read DB pre raditz, than you can't judge Goku's character. His character builds off that, and seeing him become a father and less naive over time when he started off as an oblivious country bumpkin is pivotal to his character. If you just start off post Raditz you just get a fragmented picture of him, probably of a fight junkie and a terrible father.
>>
>>156465753
>Judging a character when you haven't even seen them from the beginning
Retarded.
>>
>>156465801
I guess. DBZ just never really felt like it was about character development. It was about retarded powerups and a sense of constant tension and impending doom.

Like sure, if you watched the original Dragonball it would have that going for it, but that isn't what made it such a massive hit, at least not in the west.
>>
>>156464958
Goku is autistic
>>
>>156465753
What do you think of Luffy's VA? Cause a lot of people for some reason like her but trash Nozawa when they're pretty much one and the same. Only reason I can see so much hate for Nozawa is because (and I'm certain this is like 80 percent of the reason most dubfags hate her) is because the though of a testerone laden muscle head voiced by a woman feels wrong. And I mean I guess at first, but that's secondary to the fact that he's meant to capture the spirit of youthful innocence. He's meant to sound childish; he's a manchild.
>>
>>156465856
>the west
Senpai I'm sorry to say, but nearly every other western country except english speaking ones watched from the beginning.
>>
>>156465896
I definitely see what you are saying, but oddly enough I don't have a problem with Luffy at all. I'm not sure if that's evidence of bias towards DBZ or if it's something else entirely, but yeah. I dunno.

>(and I'm certain this is like 80 percent of the reason most dubfags hate her) is because the though of a testerone laden muscle head voiced by a woman feels wrong.

Well, if it helps, I didn't even find out Nozawa was a woman until after I had already finished Kai.

>to the fact that he's meant to capture the spirit of youthful innocence
See, I've seen this touted around a lot. And I just...don't like it. Bringing the Luffy comparison back in, I never see anyone make the same claims. Luffy doesn't sound like a little kid, he just sounds like an dumbass. He comes off as immature and childish, but the tone of the voice itself isn't what makes you feel that way. It's his actions and his lines. He also actually manages to sound serious when a fight starts, which I could never actually feel with Nozawa.

So maybe that's it. I dunno.
>>
>>156465596
the jap dub is fucking terrible. i can agree the english dub botched the character of goku, not that it matters, the show gets a progressively worse story the more Toriyama writes. But the voice is bearable. Even the Spanish dub is better than the japanese one.
>>
>>156466114
1. The series didn't get shitty until the Cell Arc, and even then the Buu arc is better than it.

2. The Spanish Dub is better than the English dub so... And it's absolutely not better than the Jap dub. Bear in mind the anime isn't even that great and has filler out the ass. The manga will always be the best version of Dragonball to consume.
>>
>>156465753
The dub quality is kinda like a valley. The best dubs happened in the 90s and were pretty good, even if the subs were better the dub was watchable.

Pretty much the entire 2000-2010 era was fucking shit. They're starting to recover but most of them are still bad with a few gems here and there.
>>
>>156465753
Fair enough. I first watched it on Toonami as well, and as I said earlier, I understand why people dislike Nozawa. I just feel that there is room for both voices (not addressing you in particular with this, just the attitudes most people seem to have towards the matter). And yes, most current dubs are probably phoned in, considering how many "broadcast dubs" Funimation is pumping out on the regular.

>>156465896
Not that anon, but I'm think that it has to do with, as mentioned earlier, the fact that people already had internalized the "masculine" Goku voices (both Ocean and Funimation) as the "true" voices for years, whereas One Piece didn't really gain traction until years after DB did. As such, people had nothing to compare Luffy's voice to. Luffy is also far less masculine and imposing in terms of stature, especially when you take the artstyle into consideration. The disconnect between Luffy's voice and his physicality is much less severe than Goku, who still sounds somewhat feminine even when he's in "serious" mode, or when he looks especially muscular/angry. When they see Luffy they see a teenage boy, and when they see Goku they see a grown man, and judge the voices accordingly.

I admit I'm grasping at straws here, though.
>>
>>156464958
DBZ is good because it gets down to serious shit which the Japanese voice actors are horrible at portraying. A MAN(a Western male) is the perfect fit for going AHHHHHHHHH than a nu-man(a Japanese male, and in Goku's case an actual woman). The Funi Dub is a completely different experience to the Jap dub, you cannot compare them word by word.
>>
>>156466153
Didn't say it became shit, said it got worse.

every earlier saga is better than the previous. doesn't mean all of dragon ball wasn't great. but dbz started killing the magic, cell saga shit on the whole concept of the super saiyan, cell saga shit on its own earlier horror theme it had durring the android phase, best part of the buu saga was the fucking slice of life segments (would have made a good epilogue but they had to keep it going). Everybody knows GT is shit, and super is making me realize GT wasn't the bottom of the barrel.

The whole series goes downhill, but it was pretty good for a while.
>>
>>156466237
>As such, people had nothing to compare Luffy's voice to.
I guess I should have said "except for the 4kids dub". Although I'm not sure whether that even factors in, considering it seems to be widely hated not only for its shitty dub for its ridiculous levels of censorship. Luffy's voice is actually slightly faithful though, which I guess is better than nothing.
>>
Ah right, I will say one thing before I head off to bed.

I may prefer the eng dub Goku, but holy fucking shit is the eng dub Chi-chi the fucking worst. Both in her voice acting and the differences made to her lines.

I mean, she's the absolute worst in both versions, but the dub makes her so much more unbearable.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.