[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain this shit to me Protip: You fucking cant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: neogaf[1].jpg (105KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
neogaf[1].jpg
105KB, 960x600px
Explain this shit to me

Protip: You fucking cant
>>
Dude christian symbolism lmao
>>
File: 2deep4u.jpg (148KB, 820x1054px) Image search: [Google]
2deep4u.jpg
148KB, 820x1054px
>>156320946

Greatest love story ever told.
>>
Sounds like a good thread to ask that.
Many people would protest that the actual message of Eva is "Be yourself".
Although I understand and to some extent agree with Eva fans that feel that the point of the show is somewhat more complex or abstract than this simplistic phrase I still find it to be pretty apt summation of the philosophical attitude it presents.
Can you tell me what nuances you perceive in Eva that elevate it for you above the level of such platitudes?
>>
Yeah I just watched The End of Evangelion and what the fuck.

Also why was Kaoru in the whole apocalypse/rebirth thing, isn't humanity supposed to be the 18th angel and Kaoru the 17th? Why weren't there all the other angels too then?
>>
EoE is basically just a step-by-step representation of what Evangelion's idea of what judgement day would be like. That's literally it. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>156320946
the movie did not take place
ep 25/26 was the only canon end
>>
File: 1335050718445.jpg (646KB, 800x2073px) Image search: [Google]
1335050718445.jpg
646KB, 800x2073px
>>156321352
Kaworu is Adam and he was merged with Lilith/Rei.
Their forbidden union gave fruit of life to Unit 01, so it could have both fruits and become equal to God. According to Fuyutsuki.
>>
>>156321352
Kaworu had the soul of Adam in his body. Gendo had Adam's body in his hand, which he put inside of Rei before she assimilated with Lilith.
>>
>>156321302
The message isn't more complex than it seems.
What elevates Eva is the way the message is told
>>
>>156321497

I really liked the TV ending. Felt a little Deus Ex Machina and fixed WAY too much stuff, but them again it was instrumentality was hyped for half season
>>
>>156321685
That is also an acceptable way to phrase it.
My question still stands.
>>
>>156321812
The message is told through symbolism, visuals, clever direction tricks, and meta-language
>>
>>156320946

I can make a long scene by scene explanation, but screw it.

>Seele and Gendo visions of intrumentality were different
>Seele tries to destroy Nerv and sieze 01
>Not explained how different, just hinted at
>Bunch of ritual stuff happen
>Instrumentality begin with shinji being ultimately in control because both sides were racing it instead of being careful.
>Shinji's depression triggers instrumentality and everyone becomes tang. All the souls are absorbed back to lilith
>Shinji regrets it so lilith/rei kills itself to liberate the souls back to the world.
>He might get hurt, but he accepts that. It is a massive character improvement for him.
>Rei and Kaworu souls will stay around as guardians of humanity.
>With time, humanity will recover from the third impact
>Asuka is the first to wake up from the tang. Why shinji strangles and if they ever forgive each other her is debatable.
>>
>>156320946
Throughout the 70s and 80s a talentless hack watched a bunch of anime. Then in the 90s he decided he would rip off a few of those anime and add some meaningless pretentious symbols.

The rest is history.
>>
>>156321812

Non standard characterization. They are deeply flawed and easy to relate to. Not something you usually find in anime.
Non standard story telling around the end makes you struggle to get the details and understand whats going on.

I think that is what differentiates Eva from most stuff.
>>
>>156322035
>Not something you usually find in anime

or better, not something you USED to find back then
>>
Explain what?
The movie explains itself.
>>
>>156320946

Stop paying attention on stuff you usually would pay attention such as "Whats going on? Why did rei become lilith? Whats seele objective", and start paying attention to stuff like "Shinji's character arc, his feelings, his interpretations of the events and his decision"
>>
>>156322035
>Non standard characterization. They are deeply flawed and easy to relate to. Not something you usually find in anime.
You should try watching some of the anime Anno copied when he made Eva. Or really any anime other than harem romantic comedies.
>>
>>156321930
I am asking about what you took out of it as content, not how that was achieved technically.
>>156322035
I understand that. Having more realistic characters is widely accepted to improve storytelling. Still characters can reflect reality in different ways.
I was strictly asking about the "message" or why you think it's valuable in terms of the worldview it presents.
To be more specific:
That it is important important to "Be yourself" is easily understandable for most people. It is also understandable for most people that to offer this as a solution to any problem is offensively simpleminded.
In order to defend a motto like that you would have to examine it's implications in the real world. Like for example, if being yourself is so great why doesn't everyone want to be themselves etc. etc.
Eva tries to tackle such questions but it does it form a strictly individualistic perspective. Are you aware of that and are you aware of the failings of exploring a message that is strictly individualistic from a strictly individualistic perspective?
>>
>>156322583
I said that the content is what you described, what elevates Eva is not the content but how it was chieved technically
>>
>>156322583

Try to see if from a depressed person point of view. Its really all about depression.

Many times, their lack of hope on themselves is whats keeping the depression cycle going, so the "be yourself, accept yourself and your flaws and try to improve" is very important for that kind of people
> Like for example, if being yourself is so great why doesn't everyone want to be themselves etc.
Because its hard to be sincere with yourself and the others. It hooks back into the depression talk. Most depressed people hide it.
>exploring a message that is strictly individualistic
I suppose, again, it is trying to help the individual. I think it is a good thing because someone without self esteem usually isnt productive to the world, so improving individuals have a utilitarian effect for everyone
>>
>>156320946
>be 26
>been watching anime since I was 10
>Still haven't seen this anime
>still can't even spell it
>still barely an idea of what it's about

Is it worth the hype at ths point or is it something i'll only like if i keep the "time it was made" as my mindset (Similar to how a clockwork orange is a baby movie compared to horror that's come out since. Novel excluded)
>>
>>156323029
If you like to look as close as possible at the horror of being afraid of living, being an adolescent and feeling lonely and confused, explained in a metaphoric, gritty, sci-fi action story, that has high wiuality production values, then go for it

This is not good entertainment overall unless you enjoy exploring self loathing
>>
>>156323029
>>still barely an idea of what it's about

Thats a good thing. Go spoiler free. There are a shitload of revelations on it so if you know something its still cool, you still will have a lot of pleasant surprises.

I think the message of it is pretty timeless. So is the presentation, there is no need to go "time it was made" mindset, it still holds great.

Some pacing problems early on, though. The first half isnt really that interesting unless you are rewatching. What people love is the craziness that start creeping past the half.
>>
>>156320946
it just sounds cool and complicated.
>>
>>156323029
Nah dude watch it there's a reason japan put Eva on a pedestal brother nobody's trying to trick you. Watch it!
>>
File: Asukafags.png (3MB, 1900x2529px) Image search: [Google]
Asukafags.png
3MB, 1900x2529px
Decent show with a retarded fanbase
>>
>>156322675
>what elevates Eva is not the content but how it was achieved technically
Well, then I guess we have a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes the value of art.
>>
>>156323231
But is it worse than grandpa dying?
>>
>>156323308
I usually don't like a poor representation of an interesting content. I tend to prefer a great representation of a bland content.
I unironically like Dragonball because it's incredibly good at what it does, even if what it does is garbage.

But I don't dismiss the contents themselves.
Both things are important imho.
>>
>>156320946
for some reason people liked that Episodes 25&26 went full retard so they made a movie that took it further
>>
>>156323145
>>156323178
>>156323223
Surprisingly optimistic answers for 4chan. Okay, i'll give it a shot soon. and yeah surprisingly i've managed to stay 100% spoiler free (and the things I have seen I don't understand and probably won't until I watch it).

I do like self-loathing explorations and stuff like that so maybe I misjudged it from it's outer appearance.

Thanks anons. I'm gonna leave the thread now before some troll spoils the whole thing for me.
>>
>>156323627

You cant possibly sincerely believe that. The entire series was building up for the psychological craziness of 25, 26 and EoE.

When i first watched the series, this was exactly the kind of stuff i wanted and i was afraid it wouldnt be able to deliver. Boy i was wrong.
>>
>>156322922
>Its really all about depression
I know.
>Because its hard to be sincere with yourself and the others.
I wasn't looking for an answer.

>It is trying to help the individual
That might be so but I am talking about artistic rather than utilitarian value. Twilight also helps raise the self-esteem of teenage girls.

The problem is that individualism does not take into account morality. For the average person self esteem, for biological reasons, is a concept that is strongly correlated with our perception of our usefulness to the collective i.e. by association it is a moral concept.
A message like "Be yourself" tries to encourage our intuitive individual understanding that we are inherently valuable by virtue of merely existing regardless of our empirical evidence for it. In practice it seems pretty innocent for the most part but it has some pretty unfortunate moral implications.
As a result accepting such view tends to encourage some pretty simplistic views on morality.
>>
>>156324277

I see, i understand what you are saying and also agree.

But i think you might be digging in too deep, or overestimating how much people take from the series and apply it on their lives.

In the end of the day it was just an anime. It wasnt anno's philosophy PhD thesis. It isnt a religion. It isnt a philosophic school. It isnt a self-help book. It is just a cool anime with some though inducing parts, but in the end it is meant to be entertainment.
>>
>>156323522
>I tend to prefer a great representation of a bland content.
Depends on what you'd call poor presentation or bland content.
Presentation and content are not concepts that can completely be separated and thus there can be no distinct standards by which we can judge them independently of each other.
The concept of "content" is meaningless without the concept of "container" and vice versa.
What is good presentation in terms of a particular type of content can be bad presentation in terms of another.
I wouldn't call what Dragonball does "garbage" and I'm not sure I can say it's "incredibly" good at it. Still I can agree that its style is suited to its subject.
>>
>>156324563
I agree. That is why I said I am talking strictly about artistic value.
>>
>>156324743

I think that "art" can me merely entertaining without super deep philosophic discussion behind it, but then again the very definition of "art" is subjective and enough to sparkle large discussions.
>>
>>156325046
Yes, I'm using my personal vastly intuitive and slightly autistic definition of art.
>>
Was it actually explained why only 14 year olds can pilot Evas?
>>
>>156325093
>>156325046
>>156324743
>>156324643
>>156324563
>>156324277

Now i see why sometimes just saying "i like it for dem waifus" might be the easier answer.
>>
>>156325093
good job attempting to tackle this but it hasn't been solved by humanity yet and I don't see 4chan doing better
>>
>>156320946
Kid faps on girl, what's there to explain?
>>
>>156325162

Not that i am aware, but i think it isnt about age, rather the connection to the soul inside the eva, mother and child being probably the most garanteed to work.

Asuka was chosen as a pilot as a little kid. Shinji andrei just happened to be 14 (rei just look 14).

Yui probably wouldnt accept gendo given how much of an asshole hes been.
>>
You can't explain the plot of something that doesn't have any plot
>>
File: 1485468205551s.jpg (3KB, 125x111px) Image search: [Google]
1485468205551s.jpg
3KB, 125x111px
>Reddit spacing
>EVA
>Protip: You fucking cant
Can i get some more buzzwords on the side with that?
>>
Jesus Christ died in vain because Evangelion was created.
>>
>>156326048
Nothing wrong with spacing.
This reddit boogeyman has to die.
>>
File: Evangelion DEEPEST LORE.jpg (968KB, 1577x2216px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion DEEPEST LORE.jpg
968KB, 1577x2216px
>>156320946

Explain those to me
>>
File: CommentPhotos.com_1407352155.jpg (49KB, 269x260px) Image search: [Google]
CommentPhotos.com_1407352155.jpg
49KB, 269x260px
>>156323231
>dudes doing what is said to do
>everyone freaks out
I don't get it
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.