[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about romance in shounen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 39

File: NisekoiSplash_0.jpg (86KB, 630x411px) Image search: [Google]
NisekoiSplash_0.jpg
86KB, 630x411px
I think this is worth a conversation. Why does it seem like some people are surprised by a lot of end pairings of main characters? I can't think of a single end pairing for main characters in a battle shounen that was a surprise. The closest, and I'm stretching really hard here, would be that Bulma ended up with Vegeta in DB since that really did kind of come out of nowhere, but by the same token, Goku gets proposed by Chichi? Oh look they got married. Kuririn gets kissed by 18? Oh look they got married. Videl shows a slight interest in Gohan upon first meeting? WOW LOOK WHAT HAPPENED! Usually this shit is telegraphed a mile away, even as far back as very early chapters.

What I'm wondering is how the fuck is it so hard for people to see through these? These are not meant to be romance epics. They are primarily comics for a young male audience. If they throw a few shippy moments in there, that doesn't mean that this is what the story would focus on. They don't need to. I agree that a lot of these relationships end up feeling shallow without enough buildup but my point is on the actual end pairings themselves. The authors plant this early so they don't have to focus too much on it

I mean, to this day there are people still butthurt that Naruto and Sakura didn't end up together 3 years later and more recently, Ichigo and Rukia when I personally thought it was pretty obvious. There are still people who think Natsu will end up with Lisanna, are you kidding? People actually shocked Alibaba chose Mor? Raku ending up with Chitoge? Diane finally kissing King recently? And my personal favorite, anybody who seriously believes Ochako and Deku isn't written in stone. Show of hands, who seriously thinks Boruto isn't going to end up with Sarada? Like this shit is obvious.

tl;dr, Shounen are predictable with this shit, even in romcoms and harems. So why do people choose to ignore the obvious?
>>
File: 13.jpg (354KB, 1200x1734px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
354KB, 1200x1734px
>>
File: 386390_1267147786108_full.jpg (73KB, 619x475px) Image search: [Google]
386390_1267147786108_full.jpg
73KB, 619x475px
Here's the foolproof strategy for shounen at least when it comes to the MC in terms of end pairings

1. The first girl to love, properly love, the MC will win
2. Unless that girl is secondary to a more main girl who properly loves the MC, in which case that main girl will win

And I think the reason for this is because really it would be absolutely cruel to fuck over someone who puts their heart out to an MC particularly in battle shounen when lives can be on the line. (speaking of which, if a girl ever does something like pic related, ie, confess while knowing they're gonna die or otherwise indisposed, they will win. This applies to all anime on that note)

I mean, there are three, THREE, new shounen that came out that had the MC crushing on a girl early so there wouldn't be too much doubt (U19, Dr. Stone, Amalgam of Distortion)
>>
>>156235612
And why the fuck did anybody think she had a chance? She wasn't even the second option, she was fourth. Fourth!
>>
>>156235449
Because the obvious pairing tends to be absolute shit, with there being one or more far better girls getting screwed over just because the author feels compelled to stick to the very most old and tired cliches.

>>156235690
>And I think the reason for this is because really it would be absolutely cruel to fuck over someone who puts their heart out to an MC particularly in battle shounen when lives can be on the line. (speaking of which, if a girl ever does something like pic related, ie, confess while knowing they're gonna die or otherwise indisposed, they will win. This applies to all anime on that note)
That really isn't true, sadly enough. Hinata winning was a rare miracle where best girl won. In most series, any heartfelt confession will be ignored or even used to vilify the girl if she's up against a generic tsundere. Doesn't matter whether she's a childhood friend or the main character is her only ray of hope in life, a violent mary sue bitch can and will casually waltz in to take him away from her all while saying she doesn't "really" care about winning him. If the girl whose feelings are pure and honest tries to resist that, the series tends to portray her in a negative light from that point on, no matter how kind she was before.
>>
>>156236239
>any heartfelt confession will be ignored or even used to vilify the girl if she's up against a generic tsundere.
But in those cases, was the confessor in the situation they that they knew they would die, or be otherwise indisposed like being separated from their loved one forever?
>>
>>156236484
Pretty sure the latter happened to Yoshida in Shakugan no Shana, to name one example.
>>
>>156236562
I mean, I know it feels like one but this thread is supposed to be about shounen manga, not otaku LNs

Also who really thought Yoshida was the better girl? Maybe I should make another thread about LNs and be like "If the title of the LN has the name of the girl in it, that one is going to win"
>>
>>156235449
The answer is in the demographic of the reader.
While shounen manga is generally marketed towards young boys, there are a lot of adult fans too and they spend more money on merch than the kids, so I can understand why some people feel like they're entitled to something.
>>
>>156235449
I'm still amazed about how fast we forgot about Nisekoi.
>>
>>156235449
Who's Touma Kamijou from the Index series gonna end up with oh wise one?
>>
>>156236945
It was shit
>>
>>156237064
That's an LN anon. If you want me to use my powers, give me a battle shounen

Though if I wanted to guess, it would probably be Index. I hope I get a Chrome Shelled Regios curveball and he ends up with the actual best girl Misaka.
>>
>>156236945
The otter has moved on greener watermelon.
>>
Has there been any good shonen romance series those two genres seem to have some poor synergy with one and other, and if any attempt attempted is made it can usually fall into at least one of three categories.

First comes first serves: as OP pointed that first characters introduced regardless of overall interactions/chemistry will usually end up together with a few exceptions.

Oh yeah that exists: Starts promising but ends up being shuffled to the end of the priority list with it only being brought up every dozen or so chapters and overall is not the reason most people read it for.

Ecchi = Romance fallacy: Mindset behind this is because since both interactions typically result in blushing and or embarrassment, they must be the same thing.
>>
File: 1457116130484.jpg (26KB, 446x336px) Image search: [Google]
1457116130484.jpg
26KB, 446x336px
>>156237148
>I hope I get a Chrome Shelled Regios curveball and he ends up with the actual best girl Misaka.
>>
>>156235449
>Raku ending up with Chitoge?
Considering how the ending pretty much spits on Raku's character?
Yeap.
In order:
>Christmas tree arc character development completely retconned as the next arc started
>Chitoge pushed to hell and back until she finally won a poll, last one before the ending
>Raku breaking a promise, when it's been clear for most of the series that being a man of his word until the end is his defining trait
>Raku becoming a yakuza leader instead of getting his hands clean of the whole business as he intended

Sure, the whole choosing having fun over stable happiness would make sense for most hot-blooded teenage MCs, but insofar Raku had wanted a more peaceful life. Almost feels like the MC struggles against fate for the whole series and then randomly gives up at the end of it all.
>>
File: 20.png (309KB, 905x1300px) Image search: [Google]
20.png
309KB, 905x1300px
Dreams do come true
>>
>>156237729
That's still not changing my point that the end result was still predictable.

I mean, it is called Nisekoi, not "I want a peaceful life"
>>
File: rukia-and-renji.jpg (68KB, 320x315px) Image search: [Google]
rukia-and-renji.jpg
68KB, 320x315px
>>156235449
This was pretty damn unexpected.
>>
>>156237842
No it wasn't anon. Renji's flashback set that in stone.

Even if you don't want to admit it, both of those end pairings were obvious
>>
Nisekoi was different. Anyone could have won
>>
File: 58920001_p25_master1200.jpg (535KB, 617x1200px) Image search: [Google]
58920001_p25_master1200.jpg
535KB, 617x1200px
>>156237842
>This was pretty damn unexpected.

Seriously? I thought Renruki was obvious for endgame when Ichigo threw Rukia to Renji after saving her, and told Renji to "protect her because that's his job" back in the SS arc, and then we see them attached at the hip after that. Ichihime on the other hand was obvious since the beginning since Orihime was introduced with having a crush on Ichigo and was endgame the moment she confessed her love in the next arc.
>>
>>156238066
Absolutely not
>>
>>156238066
No anon.
>>
>>156238066
Nah. Chitoge had the one-shot, and she was the main heroine, and mascot of the series on top of that. In every JUMP cover, it was Chitoge that was featured; not Raku. It's obvious that Komi only wanted Chitoge to win which is why he pushed her everywhere.
>>
>>156238066
chitoge a shit but she was always endgame
>>
>>156235449
>shounen romance
Seinen romance are same. The only difference is the magazine.
>>
>>156238435
I don't read enough seinen so I can only apply knowledge of what I know the most. Also I don't think seinen get as many shipwars as battle shounens do
>>
>>156237928
>>156238080
Kubo had been shitting on so many things in the final arc that I never expected him to actually pair people up.
>>
>>156238482
It was the opposite for me. I expected him to pair people up especially Ichihime because those relationships were one of the few consistent things in the entire series + I always expected Kubo to go for the whole happy ending with the new generation being revealed.
>>
>>156238482
Me neither. But I figured if he did, it would be the easy choices
>>
File: Volume_64.png (3MB, 955x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Volume_64.png
3MB, 955x1500px
OP here. I think I should stand corrected on one thing.

This one. I legitimately don't know who, if any, the main characters will be with here if Oda decides to pair anybody up at all. I mean, using my own logic, obviously it would be Hancock for Luffy right? You don't even have to write it, that would be the implied ending but because Oda is Oda, it's not really something anybody thinks of
>>
>>156238793
Yeah, OP seems like it might be more difficult to predict, but I would bet on Hancock for Luffy as well if he ends up with anyone at all. Do you think Eren in Snk will end up dead or with Mikasa?
>>
>>156239229
If you asked me about 2 or 3 years ago, I'd say "Everyone's gonna die" but with some recent events, I'd say yeah probably Mikasa

Especially after this chapter
>>
File: One kek.png (9KB, 219x231px) Image search: [Google]
One kek.png
9KB, 219x231px
>>156238793
>>156239229
Alright let's do this:

Luffy-Hancock
Zoro-Tashigi
Sanji-Nami
Usopp-Blonde lady who gave hime Going Merry
Chopper-Carrot
Robin-Franky
Brook-Madam Shirlay
Jinbei-dies

Screencap this niggers
>>
>>156239229
With Mikasa, I don't see Isayama actually killing them off after that one interview.
>>
>>156239372
I think the part of the reason people argue about this is because Isayama didn’t do much with their relationship after this chapter and because Isayama said Mikasa was more like Eren's mother and they will seperate or something. The arguing mostly seems to come from people who don't like the EM pairing or prefer Eren alone or dead or with someone else though.
>>
File: 1482365876017.png (179KB, 464x429px) Image search: [Google]
1482365876017.png
179KB, 464x429px
>luffy
>having sex
Pick one.

>>156239389
>Robin-Franky
The only acceptable pairing in this mess of a list.
>>
>>156235449
Japanese romance series are never going to work for us because they are never made for us.
In a better world, a good harem would be an actual harem where the MC actually likes and fucks all his women. Problem is Japan is ACTUALLY obsessed with blueballing. See World's End Harem.
>>
>>156239674
>I think the part of the reason people argue about this is because Isayama didn’t do much with their relationship after this chapter
Well it's still a shounen so

>>156239937
>Roger
>having sex
>Dragon
>having sex
>Shanks
>having sex

Okay maybe Shanks is a bit more believable
>>
>>156239994
>In a better world, a good harem would be an actual harem where the MC actually likes and fucks all his women
So you like those romantic dramas with the love interests the hero/heroine fucks all the time?

Also, School Days, Uwakoi, it's not common but they exist. They're also shit
>>
It wouldn't be so obvious if shounen girls love interests weren't specifically made to love the MC with few interests of their own. I knew NaruHina would win since part 1 but I'll forever be upset about how it happened and how Kishi used Neji instead of giving them proper development.
>>
>>156239674
I dropped the series back when they were in the middle of overthrowing the government, but from what I remember people argued a lot about Levi and his pairings too. I always thought it was obvious he would die or end up alone and watch over the next generation like Kakashi.
>>
>>156237186
And what greener watermelons are there?

I really just miss Nisekoi and its occasionally-weekly threads.
>>
>>156239674
I don't like EM but shit man, it's pretty obvious shonen formula is gonna be at work here. It's whatever, really.
>>
>>156235449
If I were to write a romance in a battle shounen, I would do the exact same thing as you have described, except at very end the mc would die in the final battle and no girl would win.
>>
>>156240299
I've noticed that EM isn't as popular/supported by the fanbase as other shonen manga male MC/female MC pairings such as Natsu/Lucy and Inuyasha/Kagome.
>>
>>156235449
>still people who think Natsu will end up with Lisanna
They still exist?
>People actually shocked Alibaba chose Mor?
The denial here was bordering on retarded.
>Diane finally kissing King recently?
There's people butthurt about this?
>>
File: 32Awyz9.jpg (231KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
32Awyz9.jpg
231KB, 1366x768px
>>156240313
Been there, done that.
>>
>>156240434
This intrigues me too. Part of me thinks it's because of the whole "incest" thing (even though, let's face it, it's not at all) but even /a/ follows the rule and we all know how it is out here.
Then again, the snk threads contain far too many tumblrinas.
>>
>>156240434
OP here. I know I said that shounen manga don't focus on romance but SnK especially doesn't.
>>
So besides Natsu/Lucy and Ochako/Deku (maybe Eren/Mikasa too), are there any pretty obvious shonen couples that aren't together just yet? The OP ones are mostly canon already.
I need this information for reasons.
>>
>>156240523
I haven't read FT in years, but if I had to guess people who think Natsu is going to end with Lisanna are either delusional or paranoid because Naruto and Ichigo married a girl who wasn't the female MC so they think Natsu is going to snub the female MC Lucy and end up with a supporting female cast member like Lisanna.
>>
>>156240783
Then surely they haven't been actually reading the manga (can't even blame them, FT has been especially shitty lately) because Mashima actually dedicates time to romance. Which, granted, is unusual for shonens but still.
>>
>>156240108
I really like NH, but I do agree that Kishi could've written it a lot better; I think the main problem was the fact that they had little screentime together throughout the entire series, we never just get to see them hang out since Naruto was never in the village too long in Part 2 + he's the MC so he obviously has to always be on a mission or helping to save someone in some way. NH always had dramatic moments(the blood vow back in part 1, her confession in part 2, the hand-holding) but those moments weren't enough for some readers and I could understand.
>>
>>156240783
Mashima has been really obvious with not only Natsu/Lucy, but Grey/Juvia, Jellal/Erza, and Gajeel/Levy and a few other side pairings like Zeref/Mavis.
>>
>>156240766
Bolt/Sarada, and Erina/Souma are the only ones that come to mind.
>>
>>156240766
Erina/Soma, Meliodas/Elizabeth, Yato/Hiyori, Norman/Emma (though the manga's still fresh, you'll be waiting for years). That's all I got.
>>
File: s017.jpg (202KB, 869x1270px) Image search: [Google]
s017.jpg
202KB, 869x1270px
Cannot wait for this paring to become canon. FUCK ALL YOU DELUSIONAL SOMA & MEGUMI SHIPPERS
>>
>>156240949
I really wish Naruto would've given Hinata the bouquet of flowers that Konan gave him after his fight with Pein. He could've responded to her confession then instead of making her wait so long.
>>
>>156241020
>>156241102
Thank you. Only one from the list I'm not reading right now is SnS so I should get on that.
>>
File: 1479811832600.png (372KB, 525x525px) Image search: [Google]
1479811832600.png
372KB, 525x525px
>>156241104
I like Soumegu and will always prefer it, but never deluded myself into actually thinking it had a chance. Calm down anon.
>>
>>156241223
>but never deluded myself into actually thinking it had a chance.
That's what deluded fags always say...
>>
>>156240666
That's the thing that's weird about SnK. There's virtually no focus on romance yet the fanbase is full of shipping and shipping wars. I heard there was a big timeskip so maybe Isayama will confirm some ships and then people can celebrate or be asspained and then move on.
>>
>>156241364
Hall of Anal Devastation Part 3 when.
>>
File: 009.jpg (394KB, 869x1270px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
394KB, 869x1270px
Best romance in shounen is unsurprisingly done by women.
>>
>>156241428
Yato/Hiyori is easily one of the best shonen ships.
>>
File: 1481414943344.jpg (35KB, 480x674px) Image search: [Google]
1481414943344.jpg
35KB, 480x674px
>>156241349
Nah, I knew it had no chance since Erina was the one-shot girl. You can still ship something despite knowing it has no chance at canon. I mean look at the Narusaku and Ichiruki shippers that still hold on to their ships despite getting BTFO.
>>
>>156241364
In times of great tragedy people turn to sex to cope and probably as a survival of the species mechanism. With how many mooks die the inserted position would be strange though it may be to have offspring and pairing people up. I think it's evolutionary psychology playing in the backs of these people's minds that turn into conscious thoughts of shipping. The one fault this hypothesis has is the gay shippings. That could just be an expression of repressed fetishes maybe. Could also be that SnKfags are more primal in nature.
>>
File: tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif (849KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
849KB, 200x200px
>>156241582
>Narusaku
That's actually a thing!?
>>
>>156240523
>They still exist?
I was in a recent FT thread where people were insisting on it so yes unfortunately
>>
>>156241684
Jesus man.
It's just because at least half of the fanbase for SnK are probably women.
>>
File: 1477352280891.jpg (206KB, 1242x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477352280891.jpg
206KB, 1242x1080px
>>156241713
http://imgur.com/a/XKwJ4#0

Enjoy anon.
>>
>>156241780
Also that.
>>
>>156241780
This. The nip fanbase is full of fujos.
>>
>>156241364
>There's virtually no focus on romance
That is precisely why there is a lot of shipping wars?
>>
>>156241724
You sure it wasn't falseflagging? If not then wew the retardation is real.
>>
>>156236239
>Hinata winning was a rare miracle where best girl won.
She was literally the only girl madly in love with Naruto. What other love interests could he possibly have had?

I swear you Hinatafags are more delusional than Sakurafags.
>>
File: 019_1488787107.jpg (233KB, 768x1103px) Image search: [Google]
019_1488787107.jpg
233KB, 768x1103px
>>156241569
It honestly is funny how Hiyori, being the most normal girl there is on the planet, makes such a good match for Yato.

You'd think the vanilla choice would be the most boring one, especially with such a varied female cast.
Not this time.
>>
>>156240074
School Days is shit because Makoto is a shitty person who is the son of an even shittier person who got women despite being a jerk.
I just want a harem where the guy is nice and caring, works hard to earn his harem, and treats them like a person treats a single girlfriend but as a group. Also he isn't OP because 'Fuck you' he's OP because he worked to be OP.
>>
File: Apu wants.png (427KB, 1167x652px) Image search: [Google]
Apu wants.png
427KB, 1167x652px
>>156239937
Acceptable enough for you to screencap it and be eternally BTFO when I'm right?
>>
>>156241977
Hiyori being normal is why it works so well. Yato is crazy enough for the both of them so she helps balance it out.
>>
>>156241977
It has a lot to do with the writing. They could've made some dramatic bullshit where the normal girl is always in trouble and dependent on him for being a god but Hiyori's actually a pretty good character. She knows how to deal with Yato and he's the one who goes crazy over her even if she clearly feels the same. They have a very good dynamic.
Good shit, man.
>>
>>156241833
LMAO! It's so funny reading comments from deluded fags who cannot accept their opposing OTPs xD
>>
>>156241985
>School Days is shit because Makoto is a shitty person who is the son of an even shittier person who got women despite being a jerk.
However in the game Makoto is much nicer and you can actually lead him down the path of being faithful to a girl.

School Days is an interesting case where everyone is flawed/insane, but at heart are decent people that can be corrupted through jealousy and desire.
>>
File: 1447024291749.png (254KB, 536x345px) Image search: [Google]
1447024291749.png
254KB, 536x345px
>>156241977
New chapter when??
>mfw Kofuku tied together Hiyori and Yato at the god's party
>>
>>156242114
>LMAO
>XD
You have to leave.
>>
>>156242340
In like two weeks probably.
The author took the month off because of personal reasons IIRC(God, I beg you don't let it be a cold).

Also:
>Kofuku tied together Hiyori and Yato
Considering it's Kofuku, this might end in a disaster.
>>
>>156242536
I'm guessing they'll definitely be facing some problems but I expect a happy ending. The manga has drama but overall things usually turn out pretty well at the end of each arc.
>>
>>156239994
>See World's End Harem
How about we don't see it.
>>
>>156242609
Speaking of drama, the last chapter ended on a fucking bomb.
You think that's a ruse?
>>
What about HxH, anon?
>>
>>156242755
I seriously have no idea if Nora's serious or not. She seems like she does things on her own sometimes but we ignore ignore the possibility that she has second intentions too. She's so mysterious I really don't know what to expect of her.
>>
File: 1488520649824.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488520649824.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>156242785
>HxH
>having a proper ending
>>
>>156242905
we can't ignore the possibility*
Oops.
>>
>>156242785
I didn't say every shounen ever had romance
>>
>>156242905
I'm more inclined to believe it's a long term plan to drive a wedge between Yato and Yukine.

But then again she did seem weary of father in the past, so she might be acting on her own accord. It's really hard to tell.
Is this the mythical "good writing" I have heard so much about on the internet?
>>
File: NaLu_less_than_lovers.png (29KB, 771x429px) Image search: [Google]
NaLu_less_than_lovers.png
29KB, 771x429px
>>156235449
>There are still people who think Natsu will end up with Lisanna, are you kidding?

I don't think there's anyone left who thinks Mashima will actually have Natsu end up with Lisanna. Just people who think he could easily do that if he wanted to, that it'd be a better fit for the story, and that was Mashima's original intention in bringing her back before the Natsu/Lucy fans started to pitch a fit and he decided to try and avoid fueling a shipping war.

After all, for all people like to say that Mashima's being so obvious about Natsu and Lucy, he told Lucy's Japanese VA during the Tartaros arc that he wouldn't be drawing anything romantic for them. When the interview mentioning that hit the internet, he was forced to clarify on twitter that he'd just been talking about the Tartaros arc then. Then go on to emphasis that the rest of the story wasn't set in stone, mention that authors get requests for pairings all the time but they can't do all of them as they draw with their own convictions. Then tell people to stop sending rude comments to the anime staff and to other fans. Then a few months later the collection of omakes were released, and the afterword for the one talked about not having had any intention of writing a romance for Natsu and Lucy and unintentionally making readers expect it. Then say he was currently writing them as more than friends less than lovers, which you can ask the IchiRuki fans how Kubo saying that about their pairing turned out for them.
>>
>>156243603
The more than friends less than lovers thing didn't mean anything in the end. He literally said right after that there was a chance for it to bloom into romance which it clearly did. People blow things out of proportion all the time, especially on tumblr.
>>
>>156243603
>Just people who think he could easily do that if he wanted to, that it'd be a better fit for the story, and that was Mashima's original intention in bringing her back
Now see, I don't think you realize you're saying exactly what I'm talking about but you totally are
>>
>>156242785
Pariston and Ging is the greatest love story ever told
>>
>>156243603
Actually Kubo said

>It's not friendship but it's not an amorous feeling either. With these two's relationship, I think there is no other relationship like them in other works where despite both standing in a very close position with each other it is not romance.
>>
>>156235449
OP, what are your thoughts on romance in Beelzebub?
Neither kunieda nor Hilda won.
>>
>>156244155
Honestly I blame that on the fact the author had to rush the shit out of the ending. I mean, we got like 5 chapters, maybe 10 of them in America? Who knows where it could've gone with them having free reign and time to work it. Damn shame, I loved the story and characters and knew I was going to get whiplash from going right to the ending when they suddenly went overseas.
Hilda best girl.
>>
>>156244347
Hilda best girl.
Good choice. The amnesia version was a real qt.
The side story did kind of settle the kunieda/oga thing. The author gave side story 5 to aoi and side story 6 to hilda.
>>
>>156240594
Jonathan spends his last moments with Dio though, so best pairing won
>>
Seriously though is there any battle romance series where the MC earns his woman/harem or is it all just 'Here, have sex cause I say so'?
>>
>>156244898
Dio even got to be in Jonathan's body which is super lewd.
>>
>>156245091
Dio was just yandere for Jonathan all along
>>
>>156245041
I was going to say Umi no Misaki but that was seinen and there wasn't much fighting so that doesn't fit.
>>
Fighting Tier V commies is so bullshit as burgers.
>>
How come all the battle harems are magic school based?
What happened to good old fisticuffs?
>>
>>156246002
Aside from the basic issue of most of these shows being derivative of each other, the whole magical-school concept provides a convenient structure for the main character regularly coming into contact with the same female characters and engaging in flashy but non-status-quo threatening combat.
>>
>>156246002
I almost thought Machiavellism was going to be that
It isn't magic school, but the MC still has some sort of magic power
somewhat disappointing
>>
>>156244155
I never said that romance could just not happen at all either. I mean, the author would be a total hack if they did that, but we all know it has happened
>>
>>156246157
but hand to hand can be flashy too. Just give the MC Heat Moves
>>
>>156246542
The important part is "flashy, but not status-quo threatening". A core aspect of most magical school battle harems is that the combat is vague enough that somebody can be defeated but wind up with no visible injuries.
>>
>>156246651
But that's not 'Status Quo'
Status Quo is 'here are these characters, their traits, and daily lives on a macro level'
Changing that would involve them doing something different for a long period of time, adding or killing off characters or making them different.
MC punching Grassu Joeu so more girls notice him isn't going to change anything
>>
>>156236028
But in the end she was in the full pack. Her being Chitoge's personal model, and Raku marrying her mistress means he would pretty much be in intense threesomes.
>>
>>156238066
nah it was the typical first girl always wins bullshit.
>>
>>156237255
Ichigo 100%
>>
File: g46jery.png (45KB, 288x281px) Image search: [Google]
g46jery.png
45KB, 288x281px
>>156238066
>Anyone could have won
do you honestly wholeheartedly believe that anyone besides Chitoge was gonna win?
It's Romcom 101 anon, if MC is already crushing on one girl and then another girl comes into the picture, MC will end with second girl.
>>
>>156236239
>That really isn't true, sadly enough. Hinata winning was a rare miracle where best girl won. In most series, any heartfelt confession will be ignored or even used to vilify the girl if she's up against a generic tsundere
Not really. But, mangaka tend to pair up the MC with the tsundere (as seen on Nisekoi, Toradora) or the genki tomboy (as seen on Video Girl Ai) because, as cliche and mediocre as it sounds, it's easier for mangaka to develop a girl who is initially hostile towards/shows her love in a totally inmature ultra high spirited way to the MC and making it look natural. Dandere girls have the problem of being stagnant because they are always sweet. And hajidere girls like Hinata or Onodera are really difficult-to-impossible to develop without making the interactions with MC too forced.
>>
>>156239372
>>156239421
What episode of S2 do you guys think this will happen
>>
>>156241833
Do you think there'll be a HoAD for Attack on TItan?
>>
>>156247740
If they even reach it it'll be the last one, it's only a 12 episode season, it's basically just gonna be Utgard and the colossal titan reveal
>>
>>156237186
Are there other greener watermelons??

I'm gonna be honest, I hated Nisekoi at the beginning, but in the end started to grow fond of it. At least it was the last manga with a main girl that was neither a modern tsundere or a neo-tsundere, but entered more in the classical tsundere and had character development. MC was a shit, however had chemistry with main girl (and with the shy girl younger sister). It was clearly aimed towards younger kids than Ichigo 100%, I''s and TLR.
>>
File: 1492697318231.jpg (970KB, 953x1367px) Image search: [Google]
1492697318231.jpg
970KB, 953x1367px
Is Shokugeki no Souma the only Ecchi Shounen in existence?
>>
>>156248007
>Is Shokugeki no Souma the only Ecchi Shounen in existence?

I'm actually baffled by this question, is it supposed to be a joke?
>>
>>156248007
Are you retarded, anon? Or were you attempting to make some sort of obscure joke?
>>
>>156237729
HAHAHAHAHAHAGAGAHA
It seems you forget the eps between 1 and 200 where he was hanging up and trying to get along with the monkey-woman (and you seem to forget all the way after the Romeo and Juliet episodes where Chitoge finally admitted to herself her growing feelings and started to make things to impress Raku. Meanwhile, Onodera fucked up every chance to score points with Raku because of her chickening in the moment (even fucking Ruri Miyamoto had to force a meeting between them and guess what... Onodoormat screwed up again).

Granted, Onodera was the promise girl, but was it all enough?? It's like real life. You never end up with the idealized woman, but with the girl you end up knowing and getting along with better than everyone.
>>
>>156248104
>>156248109
I guess that thread was too old for you to get the reference. The thread was back in July 2016.
>>
>>156248275
I'm sorry, you make a reference to a one-off thread from a year ago then accuse everyone of being new if they don't get it?
>>
why does it always have to be tsunderes /a/?, are all nips masochists?
>>
File: uraraka nervous.jpg (262KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
uraraka nervous.jpg
262KB, 1920x1080px
I like it when the love interest is equality as dense but more horny than the MC.
>>
>>156249382
>why does it always have to be tsunderes /a/?
Most of the examples in the OP aren't tsunderes at all
>>
>>156249382
Yes

why do you think NTR is so popular?
>>
>>156241888
Naruto having a crush on Sakura and Sakura's shallow as fuck crush on Sasuke, combined with just how often violent girls end up winning the target of their violence meant that Hinatafags had good reason to be nervous at first, since Kishimoto could easily have shafted Hinata and forced a NaruSaku end like so many other authors would. Anyone thinking NaruSaku stood a chance after the fake confession was completely delusional, though.
>>
>>156247663
Nagisa in Clannad and Sakura in F/SN are some pretty well-executed examples of victorious hajideres, though. Tsunderes are far from natural, it's just that their character development is so bipolar that it can be reset and accelerated at the convenience of the author.
>>
>>156238466
Look at current Tokyo ghoul threads? Demographics doesn't matter, when something is popular enough threads become driven just by delusional shippers
>>
>>156250730
Those threads are cancer because 90% of them is people falseflagging. Everyone knew Kaneki/Touka was endgame, they just wanna shit up threads.
>>
>>156244155
>expecting either of them to win when Furuichi was there all along
>>
>>156250763
Aside from what you said - I just don't see romance there as meaningful plotpoint.
>>
>>156250933
It really isn't. I've asked them why the hell Touka getting Kaneki's dick is such a big deal and all I usually get is people sperging out about it. I suppose when a chapter is heavily focused on romance like 122 was you'd expect discussion about it but not like that.
>>
I wish Sousuke decided to settle down with that mechanic girl in FMP: Sigma. She was very cute and better than Shitdori.
>>
File: Cast Picture.jpg (240KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cast Picture.jpg
240KB, 1600x1200px
>>156237823
It was predictable but I feel that many anons just didn't want it to happen.

>>156238066
I was, and to an extent still am, an Onoderafag but even I knew that Chitoge would win in the end
>>
File: AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg (77KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg
77KB, 500x282px
>>156249788
>Naruto having a crush on Sakura and Sakura's shallow as fuck crush on Sasuke

C'mon!! Naruto's crush on Sakura was even more shallow and nonsensical than Sakura's on Sasuke. It doesn't help Naruto never knew love in a romantical way. In fact, Naruto thought Sakura's crush was only fraternal love and family love, the things he was craving since the start.
>>
>>156249382
Tsundere girls are easier to develop than hajidere or dandere girls. Besides, with tsundere, the transition from her tsun beginnings to her dere final persona is more easy to be noticed for kids.
>>
>>156249996
But they're not main girls of a mainstram shonen manga published in a mainstream shonen mag. AFAIK, Clannad is a shoujo and F/SN is a VN aimed at otaku.

I think it's because tsundere make the interactions with MC funnier. With hajidere (and other dere from the sweeter side), despite how well or bad the execution is, the interactions and moments can be pretty dull and in occasions, a snorefest because of the fluffiness
>>
>Why don't fans of these shows created for mentally and socially stunted virgin manchildren who hate/fear women understand simple romance?

Gee I wonder
>>
>>156237255
Ai Yori Aoshi was good. But it was a type of harem that the Aoi already won early on and it was more of a hidden relationship type of scenario so there was really no point of the harem.

But harem is a terrible subgenre anyway because there has been rarely any harem that the first significant girl didn't win.
>>
>>156256996
>Ai Yori Aoshi
Pretty sure that wasn't shounen though it is one of those obvious winner shows
>>
>>156247814
Only if a small ship becomes canon, like Eren and Historia or Jean and Mikasa. These two are the only ones off the top of my head that would piss off a lot of shipperfags.
>>
>>156253677
>Naruto's crush on Sakura is just as nonsensical
If it was first arc, you would have a point since Naruto initially only liked Sakura because she was cute and overlooked that she was a bitch, but it's pretty clear that he got to know her as a person and admires her and was still in love with her as they grown as a team as Team 7. There was nothing that his feelings were mistaken feelings in the series. Naruto eventually had let it go though when it was pretty clear that Sakura wasn't going to stop loving Sasuke, that fake confession pretty much killed any notion of NaruSaku because of that.

That said, we never known why Sakura liked Sasuke. There weren't any significant moments that supports her feelings other than that head pluck that doesn't really seem as romantic as much as familial affection. The. Sasuke proceeds to treat Sakura like shit and is fucked off all the character development she said and in the end, she wasn't a big reason why he came back either. That Sarada Gaiden pretty much hammers that home on shit SasuSaku is.

The only thing NaruHina suffered was the lack of develop as someone said. Hinata was away for most of Shippuden and when she finally confessed, it was pretty much ignored. When Naruto addressed why he didn't respond to it properly, he thought that she loved him like he loved ramen, pretty much shitting on the fact that Naruto is probably one of the most empathetic character in the series.
>>
>>156241833
>sasuke's forehead poke essentially means he is offering his arm to sakura... to sew on naruto's stump
lmao were these niggas reading the same naruto i was?
>>
>>156257555
Shit, anon. You're right. It keep thinking it was published in Shounen Sunday for some odd reason.
>>
>>156251126
I really hope that Touka and Kaneki don't end up together. Ishida had ample time to do something with Touka but 'the woman who waits win's cliche that is popular in shounen these days is such a copout and shit cliche. Plus Ishida could have shown that Touka had grown up in other ways than asking if Kaneki's a virgin. It feels like Ishida is making Touka more of a perfect woman character for Kaneki than letting her be a character like she was in the first series.
>>
>>156257995
>If it was first arc, you would have a point since Naruto initially only liked Sakura because she was cute and overlooked that she was a bitch, but it's pretty clear that he got to know her as a person
Let me ask you, when exactly would this have happened?

The Chuunin exams and subsequent invasion is the only time Team 7 is around each other and halfway into that they split up. Then Naruto leaves with Jiraiya, then as soon as he comes back the Sauce situation happens so leaves right after that. When he comes back is the Gaara thing so there's no bonding there. Once we hit Sasuke and Sai arc, Naruto has gone full obsession for Sauce so there's no time for those two to get to know each other especially considering I'm pretty sure that crush only gets brought up after that point in the fake confession like you said
>>
File: Rurouni.Kenshin.full_.62842.jpg (946KB, 2500x3690px) Image search: [Google]
Rurouni.Kenshin.full_.62842.jpg
946KB, 2500x3690px
I feel like earlier shounen was better about this
>>
>>156258531
Touka/Kaneki is as good as canon already, this chapter basically had "they're going to fuck" all over it, literally. I'm not even trying to be a dick or anything but I think you should just let it go, man. Don't let yourself get more disappointed later on by hoping by some slim chance Ishida's going to change his mind.
>>
>>156237732
This can't be canon.
>>
>>156259853
But it is.
>>
>>156259853
Believe it my nigga
>>
File: 00b.jpg (2MB, 1810x1300px) Image search: [Google]
00b.jpg
2MB, 1810x1300px
How do you guys feel about yuri side couples that are usually thrown into shounen series?
>>
>>156259919
Wendy x Chelia a cute.
>>
File: 575475373242.png (366KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
575475373242.png
366KB, 600x348px
Why did they never get together?
>>
>>156260107
They're canon, they just can't get officially married since they're in the military.
>>
>>156260107
I mean they pretty much did, it's just not actually official. There's literally nobody else in the story who they could end up with otherwise
>>
I was just thinking about this recently actually.
I finished Boku Girl and while it's not Shounen, the romance had similar issues.
You've got all of these characters popping up and getting thrown into the romance hodgepodge but the entire time I was just annoyed because of how obvious the end romance was going to be.
Is there a reason for romance being written like this? With a 'main pairing' always being alongside a bunch of other stuff?
>>
>>156259919
>Laxus and Mirajane
Wait really?

Really?
>>
>>156241833
The most depressing thing about the archive switch is that "I've got a bomb" is dead
>>
>>156235449

On this note, is there any shounen (or anything that isnt pure romance drama, really) with relationships / shippings that arent perfect?

Like, its hinted or even official, its cute, but in the end the hurting each other and might even break up, like a normal relationship?

I would like to see slightly realistic romances without having to go all the way into shoujo.
>>
>>156260737
People just read shoujo for that
>>
Japs just aren't good at structuring stories. I wonder if it's a cultural thing.
>>
>>156259565
>Kenshin
>better
Hell, fucking no. Kaoru was a cool character until Watsuki shunted her from Kyoto Arc on, when she basically became a pining mess of a character. It's doubly insulting that Yahiko got to be in part of the fighting while he is being trained by Kaoru. How they got together was also forced as fuck and Watsuki was more concerned about giving Kenshin a happy ending than a compelling story.

Watsuki redeemed himself with Busou Renkin even if it got cancelled (fuck Japan), Kazuki and Tokiko was a more compelling couple than Kenshin and Kaoru ever was.
>>
>>156259674
The thing is that he wrecked Touka's character. Maybe I would like it again if he salvaged her character somehow. If TG Touka was getting with Kaneki and nixed that stupid virgin question, I would have been happy about the whole
thing.
>>
File: 1393453069820.png (110KB, 362x370px) Image search: [Google]
1393453069820.png
110KB, 362x370px
>>156239389
I thought this was gonna be an interesting thread about romance in shounen but instead I get shipping cancer
>>
>>156262135
I'm not questioning your logic, anon, I can see where you're coming from. I personally don't really have a strong opinion on the matter but I can see what you're trying to say. The thing is, Ishida has decided so that's that. The way it's being executed is easily debatable, obviously, but hoping for something to change is probably just going to upset you more when it eventually doesn't. I've been disappointed before and hoping just made it worse for me.
>>
>>156259919
It can be shit if they do the heavily implying shit all the way until the end and they are never shown to be romantic expect for a few throw away moments that hints they are more than friends.

The only one I really liked was Konoka and Setsuna but even Akamatsu did that implying shit at the end that they both got married in 2017 but not to whom (even though it's obvious to each other).
>>
>>156235449
>anybody who seriously believes Ochako and Deku isn't written in stone.
Todoroki shouldve been a girl.
>>
>>156261108
Well the thread isn't so much about story structure as it is more about how many of these authors are obvious and fans either for some reason don't see that or choose to ignore it for some reason.
>>
>>156262382
You liked the most shit example of it to have ever hit the medium. Says a lot about how stupid you are.
Considering your example ends with them getting married to men off screen and having children. As well as it being the only pair that the author out right refused to ever talk about when questioned in interviews.
>>
>>156262953
>Considering your example ends with them getting married to men off screen and having children.
What? This happened in UQ Holder or some shit?
>>
>>156263168
>This happened in UQ Holder or some shit?
Yup.

I'm not sure why anyone thought otherwise considering the it was a het harem through and thought. Both Konoka and Setsuna kissed the male teacher multiple times and the author was known for not liking yuri.
>>
>>156262342
Well, :re has been a big vat of disappointment since the Tsukiyama Family Arc, especially know it's becoming people don't die when they are killed too.

Why series who wasn't afraid to kill characters end up like that half the time?
>>
>>156247406
Wasn't that the series the mangaka literally had a poll to decide who should win
>>
>>156263361
>looked it up
Well shit.

> Both Konoka and Setsuna kissed the male teacher multiple times and the author was known for not liking yuri.

It was more than that though. Some of the class encouraging them to get together and it didn't help that Setsuna was a blushing mess around Konoha half the time. That end did make it imply they got married together.

Glad that I never bothered with UQ Holder then. Akamatsu is shit and I am glad to avoid his shit after Negima.
>>
File: 1490411526842.jpg (499KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1490411526842.jpg
499KB, 1000x1000px
I'm glad this happened.
>>
>>156263499
And pretty much most of the fandom raged? Yup. I think it possibly ruined her career too since she's had a hard time avoiding cancellations of her newest series. I really liked Hatsukoi Limited.
>>
>>156240027
ten bucks that shanks has a bastard kid running around somewhere that will eventually meet the strawhats at some point
>>
>>156240224
>>156247862

Yuragi Yuuna hits all the right tears for me
>>
>>156263636
>liking a pairing with no romantic development whatsoever.

NaruHina is better and had more development than IchiHime.
>>
>>156263636
fuck you landwhale
>>
>>156263636
Terrible development and resolution for her character arc, even more lackluster romantic resolution with the MC.
>>
>>156263998
Assblasted IchiRuki detected.
>>
>>156263616
It implied they got married in the same year.
And friends from school coordinating their weddings is not that uncommon. For example, lots of girls want to be June brides.

>but the kinmonos
Doesn't really mean anything. They were just generic clothing.

The artist cared so little about that scene it was QUALITY to the point Konoka was missing a foot.
>>
>>156263768
wonder how the upcoming squeal manga in Jump Giga will go down
>>
>>156264100
Your boogieman won't change that fact, Himefag. You need to accept it.
>>
>>156264151
>And friends from school coordinating their weddings is not that uncommon.
What? That is actually very uncommon, even in Moonland. It's yuribait considering that what happened in UQ Holder, but it was clear that it could have implied they married together, especially Setsuna is carrying Konoka in a very romantic pose in that picture.
>>
File: BTFO.png (79KB, 1250x187px) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
79KB, 1250x187px
>>156263998
>>156263892
>>156263859
Keep fucking whining.
>>
since most shonen romances almost always devolve into harems, I wonder if we'll ever see one that meets these two requirements.

> Successful enough to warrant a character poll which the first one typically happens at the one or two year anniversary of mark.
> MC is always 3rd or higher and despite the addition or more girls doesn't slip to the bottom of the list
>>
>>156264382
It's not. Google "high school friends getting married in the same year", it's pretty common.

The fact that they kiss the male teacher multiple times really kills any actual yuri the series might have had.

And that's just a generic, poorly drawn, princess carry pose.
>>
>>156264753
And they had kissed each other too. But that suddenly doesn't matter, eh?
>>
>>156264803
Nope, doesn't matter at all. They are tainted.
>>
Nisekoi was a great slapstick comedy that people hated because they took it seriously as a romance.
>>
>>156264441
>There is no romantic development between the two that doesn't involve Orihime pining after Ichigo
>HURRDURR U MUST BE AN ICHIRUKIFAG
IchiHimefag, not everyone don't like IchiHime because they liked IchiRuki. They can not like the pairing because they had no development together in a near 700 chapter series.

Kazuki is adorable as fuck though.
>>
>>156264908
To be fair, Nisekoi was marketed as a harem. It may be slapstick but it is a harem.

The only thing is that why people geninuely think that their waifu will win when it's pretty obvious from the get go that the most prominent girl almost always win.
>>
>>156239389
>Jinbei-dies
OTP right there.
>>
>>156241985
Highschool DxD is basically like this.
>>
>>156235449
I've only watched one shounen with decent romance and that's because it actually gave the girls some focus instead of them all playing second fiddle.
>>
>>156264227
Unless she fixes it, I don't know, anon.
>>
>>156264929
>they had no development together in a near 700 chapter series.
Wrong.
>>
>>156260207
>Is there a reason for romance being written like this? With a 'main pairing' always being alongside a bunch of other stuff?
They want an obvious 'main pairing' so that they don't alienate the fanbase with false expectations, but they dont like to have the main couple already together during the series so you introduce other stuff to delay/distract from how obvious the main pairing is.
>>
>>156265417
What romantic development did they have that didn't involve Orihime's feelings for Ichigo. Ichigo has shown he cared for her as friend but never any romantic interest in her.
>>
>>156239372
The good thing about SnK is how all couples are obvious from the beginning. Eren and Mikasa, Levi and Hange, Christa and Ymir, Reiner and Bertholt... any other examples?
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.