[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people think this is amazing? Don't get me wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 30

File: Ghost-in-the-Shell-Anime.jpg (130KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-in-the-Shell-Anime.jpg
130KB, 970x545px
Why do people think this is amazing?
Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it, the animation was good, it was exciting and the visuals and action were interesting. But I don't get why the story is suppose to be so great.
>>
It's 2deep4u, don't worry about it kiddo
>>
Most people like what they're told they're supposed to like, and this is a western-friendly and generally well regarded show. You do the math.
>>
>>156234193
it's because pseudo nerd culture eats up anything they're told is good

It's average cyberpunk at best, with hit or miss psychological elements that take the right taste to like

basically >>156234403
>>
Much like Evangelion, you have to think about the culture and time period at when the movie came out to appreciate the impact
>>
>>156234193
So what do you like then?
>>
>>156234193
Probably it is just childhood thing for me, I remember, when I saw poster for GitS in my local book/comic store and it took me nearly a three months to obtain VHS copy of copy of copy with German voice-over (only one female voice monotonously reading translation over dialogue) and having printed out translation in my language so I can follow the story.

It was gateway to more serious science fiction, cyberpunk culture and whole symbolism of soul, machine and trans-humanism/existential questions. Also it was great source for my designs and idea harvesting of gritty industrial visual (like Blade Runner)

I still cherish the GitS, like that one book from my childhood, that was mediocre at best, but because I didn't knew anything better, I loved it.
>>
>>156235945
I like a lot of things, but nothing to the point of finding it amazing.
>>
>>156236717
So what you're saying is that you have no taste then? Glad we got that out of the way.
>>
>>156234193
I thought it was pretty boring.
>>
>>156236906
Oshii's has a bad tendency to be too heavy handed with his philosophical shit, when you combine it with it super slow pacing and lack of character development (really, the characters in his movies always feels so emotioneless they're barely characters) it ends being boring.
>>
>>156234193
When I watched it, it felt like the movie was building up to internal fighting between the divisions but then went off track with the philosophical stuff with the Major.
It was enjoyable, but it just didn't really feel conclusive enough to me.
>>
File: 1461211059125.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461211059125.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>GITS is loved almost universally on /a/
>Scarjo GITS movie comes out
>suddenly every GITS thread is full of people saying GITS was never good
Sasuga, /a/.
>>
>>156237085
It's not a bad tendency at all, Oshii is just trying to make an art film, which has no need to be "entertaining".
>>
>>156234311
I was 2deep in yo mom
>>
File: 1444422286375.png (568KB, 852x880px) Image search: [Google]
1444422286375.png
568KB, 852x880px
>>156237263
>you're not supposed to enjoy it
Truly an art house film
>>
>>156237263
>an art film, which has no need to be "entertaining"
Something tells me that your definition of entertaining is different than mine.
>>
>>156234193
>the animation was good, it was exciting and the visuals and action were interesting.
You don't even need anything more than that for a great anime. Even then, the story's not unique, but it's well told.
>>
>>156234403
>show
>>
>>156235876
nigger fuck you GiTS is post-cyberpunk kino
>>
>>156237308
wtf delete this
>>
>>156236976
ok dad
>>
It's a story about transhumanism that doesn't give you answers. It presents a possible example of how humanity might move beyond our flesh and blood bodies into a new type of existance, and it doesn't suggest to the viewer if it's a good or a bad thing. It's more like, "this is happening and you can't stop it."
>>
>>156237474
What's your definition, then?
>>
>>156237547
yeah, that's the general opinion although it fails to provide immersive qualities that emphasize setting and situation to be a defining work of the cyberpunk genre for me

tl;dr muh opiniens
>>
>>156237443

This is the man who made Angel's Egg. Are you implying that's wrong?
>>
>>156237547

In what way is GitS post-cyberpunk?
>>
>>156237640
that's a pretty glorified answer to justify a lack of good development but if that's what gets you to enjoy it, go right ahead.

I liked it too but only after I have immersed myself in cyberpunk as a genre and could understand immediately the angles that the plot was coming from. It would be a poor choice for an introduction into cyberpunk imo
>>
>>156235922
>Evangelion
>impact

Heh
>>
>>156234193
Other then the score and the visuals, I didn't really care for the first film all that much. I loved Stand Alone Complex though.
>>
>>156237263
>A movie, shown in theaters, has no need to be entertaining.
I mean you're right, it doesn't need anything. It doesn't need dialogues, voices, backgrounds. The movie could even have been a REAL art film where it's just an animation made by engraving the film tape by using a fork.
But at the end of the day, GitS was NOT an experimental piece. It was a movie shown to a large audience. Thus it has to entertain that audience in order to be successful. And in fact it entertained quite a lot of people.

GitS was good though, and it did entertain me. Just that I think that it already bears marks of what made other Oshii movies (Innocence and Sky Crawlers) mediocre.
>>
>>156237811
>to justify a lack of good development
That's just Oshii's style. The message and setting is more important than the characters, so his shit comes off as detached and static. I agree that it's not exactly a good intro because people are generally more interested in other people than concepts and ramifications.
>>
>>156237811

That's clearly the entire tone of how it's presented though. If a conclusion is "missing", it was left out on purpose.

You could tell me that the lack of "emotional" elements during the climax is simply a result of Oshii's style, and you'd be right; Patlabor and Angel's Egg do the same thing. But that style is used for a reason, and it's to present a view of the events that is unfiltered as possible. They didn't just forget the music. Even if it was intended this way (and I don't believe that) it creates an environment where the viewer has to decide how they feel based purely on the facts of what's being presented. Furthermore, the Major and Puppetmaster don't discuss the goods and evils of their merger, they simply discuss the facts of it, with no one but Batou--who is removed from the conversation--reacting at all.

I'll take off my beret and turtleneck for a moment and also say that it's also significant just for it's animation, and that would be enough if it didn't have more to offer.
>>
>>156234403
Weird, I saw it when it first came out and loved it, and nobody even told me to. Even sought out the superior manga version go figure.
>>
>>156238228

^even if it [wasn't] intended this way
>>
>>156234193
At the time it was made it had nearly as much of an impact on the "Near time" Sci-fi genre as Bladerunner once did.

It isnt a masterpiece. What it did was portray a really interesting world and reality for a society that was just on the verge of the digital and internet age.

I mean, it was the main influence for The Matrix, which was also seen as groundbreaking in its time.
>>
I watched it as well before seeing the live action

It was fine.

Better than the manga, but inferior to SAC. Defitney better than the live action.
>>
>>156238127
>>156238228
These are interesting points that I have started to understand and appreciate now that they've been explained. I guess I'm just not used to unconventional stylistic choices in animation as I am in writing.
>>
>>156237211
This.
>>
Anyone feel a large disconnect between the original movie's style and SAC?
Is there a reason for this? I assume it's mainly because they needed more concrete material to make a longer running show but it feels weird watching it
>>
>>156238475
There was a significant difference in tone between them. SAC with the same animation as GitS would not have fit the tone of the show.
>>
>>156238058
Given that GiTS is an Oshii piece, I think it's safe to say that he cared very little about conventionally "entertaining" the audience. Perhaps its success can be attributed to its action scenes, or maybe how exotic it was for its time, but there is no way Oshii did not deliberately intend the movie to be as slow and "boring" as it is.
>>
>>156238475
SAC feels cheaper to me desu
>>
>>156237774
cyberpunk characters are always outside the law/society etc and in GiTS all the main characters are the law.
>>
>>156238538
I see. All the plot elements felt more concrete in the show. The addition of music with lyrics also threw me off.

>>156238634
Maybe you feel its cheaper because as far as I remember it's a fragmented set of non interconnected storylines. You're not left hanging on to any single plot line
>>
>>156237308
>>156234311
Damn son. Fucking toasted.
>>
>>156234193
film is a visual medium
>>
>>156238999
You'd be surprised how many directors in both animation and live action forget this.
>>
>>156238999
Trips are wasted on you Zack
>>
>>156238685

Major and Batou are still oppressed by the law and their situation, hence their conversation on the boat about how they can't really leave and still survive without the high-level maintinence they require and how Major wouldn't be the same person without being comnected to thw network.

The world's pretty crapsack still, too, and the transhumanism elements are still seen as a dangerous idea. It's hard for me to call this post-cyberpunk
>>
>>156238999

Oshii understands this, always focuses on the visuals first.

That doesn't mean HEY MAKE IT FLASHY, SUBSTANCE COMES LATER, but he uses the visuals as substance.
>>
>>156234193
It's shit. Just like blade runner
>>
>>156239270
>Major and Batou are still oppressed by the law and their situation
take you never seen SAC or the other movies correct

the world in GITS is very very bright what with dealing with WWIII and WIV one of which was full on nuclear
>>
>>156234193
it's not great
it's never really on any top 5 list of great anime movies or even top 10
people only remember it because the show
>>
>>156239905

Yeah, I've only ever seen '95

But that's what we're discussing, isn't it?
>>
>>156239975

>people only remember it because the show

Nigga if this isn't bait
>>
>>156239975
>people only remember it because the show

>It's an "i'm gonna tell people why they like something" post
>>
The second movie called innocence was way better
But nobody know that it exist or cares
And its so underrated
Also the anime wasn't that good it only had
They pulled the same story 2 times
Where the bad guy was actually the good guy
>>
>>156234193
the story isn't anything special, just like the story from 2001 space odyssey isn't good .

it's just fucking well directed science fiction!
>>
>>156234193
Mostly the visuals and action, it was amazing for it's time because it was much rarer in for animation to have that type of story.
>>
This is why nobody loves you /a/. sage.
>>
A E S T H E T I C S

But honestly that's what cyberpunk is. Nothing more.
>>
Innocence is better if you know your philosophy.
>>
>>156242100
t. never read good Cyberpunk literature.
>>
>>156240110
basically the major is the one who made/is in charge of section 9 aramaki is nothing more then a well connected public servant

section 9 gives them the freedom to do what they are great at and love
>>
File: gits 1995 major.jpg (165KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gits 1995 major.jpg
165KB, 1600x1200px
>>156242787
aramaki is a bit more than that, he handles all the justistic and political shit.

i hope the new anime will be good
>>
>>156237211
>GITS is loved almost universally on /a/
>m00t dies and a chink takes over the place
>suddenly we have a bunch of contrarian kids in an already contrarian board

FTFY
>>
>>156242915
thats what a public servant is

and ya we're all praying the new anime will be great arise wasn't terrible but the art was pretty bad motoko was just flat out terrible fuck even the derptarded leotard looked better
>>
>>156242265
there is? I don't think so
>>
>>156242915
new anime? nani?
>>
>>156236264
>>156237662
>>156241730
>>156242265
Show me the good shit or you're just a bunch of shitposters
>>
Philosophical themes of identity, sexuality, artificial intelligence, "what it means to be?" etc

I don't know why you don't like it. Pretty fucking good anime movie imo.
>>
>>156234193
A lot of what makes a great film "great"- like truly great, as opposed to just a synonym for good, is its lasting cultural impact. That's why GitS is a great film, in spite of the interesting philosophical dialogue being delivered in rather dry and unwieldy monologues.
>>
>>156244705
Shit, misuse of dialogue when talking about monologues. Philosophical content I guess instead of philosophical dialogue?
>>
>>156244562
Eh, I only cared about the part where she shows off her tits to become invisible. And the part where that older dude's hand split up so he can type faster manually.
>>
>>156234193
I don't know if it's "amazing" there are a lot of badass scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJtl95R3tf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWwHI604n4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9tpWOBVmpg
>>
>>156245049
>And the part where that older dude's hand split up so he can type faster manually.

>pfff fucking pleb you can only type 160 wpm check this out
>JAZZ HANDS
>>
>>156237211
>>156242984
Basically it's cool to go against the flow and some fags do it to get a rise out of people. Some do it out of pure ignorance like this fag >>156237518
Saying the story is not unique, yet he fails to realize the time this movie came out at a time when even the matrix didn't exist yet.

/a/ is begging to fill with faggots who weren't even alive in the early '90s to watch anime. Fuck these people, all they have going for them is Pokemon and naruto, which is not even entry level anime
>>
>>156244167
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-06/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-new-anime-from-kenji-kamiyama-shinji-aramaki/.114481

The only good thing about the terrible live action movie, the free PR was probably an additional factor that got them to fund this. No third SAC season but it can still be good.
>>
>>156234403
Oh, like Cowboy Bebop?
>>
>>156234193
SAC was better desu, but the 1995 film is still better than Solid State Society
>>
>>156245632
>SAC was better
When will this meme die? SAC was an above average detective series.
>>
>>156245781
with cyberpunk aesthetics. That's all i want. Where the fuck is my third season?
>>
What the hell is going on in this scene?
https://youtu.be/cAPDFwHjUf8
Did she mind control him? Or did he do it of his own free will? And if so, why?
>>
>>156245835
'95 did everything SAC did but had better characters, better direction, and better art style (among others)
>>
>>156245781
Its far more than that desu
>>
>>156245882
she has his ghost infiltration key. She hacked into his prosthetic body. She shuts his vision down multiple times too.

>>156245986
no. We saw much less character developement and section 9 at work. That's not a bad thing, you can't fit all that into a movie, but it was nice to see it nontheless. SAC had what, almost 20 hours of content? And it almost never felt like a drag.
>>
>>156234193
same reason people praise lain,ergoproxy,paranoia agent. muh 2deep
>>
>>156246228
Obviously a series with 20 hours of content will have more to show regarding character development and backstory. That doesn't mean that it has better characters though, but I'll concede that point. Regardless, '95 was a groundbreaking film and really elevated the medium from simply being mindless otaku shit.
>>156246197
No it isn't. SAC was great but the film was simply another level.
>>
>>156247746
oh so that's what you're arguing. Yes i liked the film more than SAC too, it simply was/is on another level. But you can't really compare a movie with a series anyways. The time SAC gave the characters for developement and just watching section 9 do its thing was pretty awesome too, and something that a movie just can't do.
>>
>>156247746

GitS is a masterwork but it's ignorant to imply that it was the first thing to reach beyond basic entertainment.
>>
>>156234193
i like cyberpunk,shadow run, blade runner and shit. I saw it when i was a kid and it is a nostalgic /k/ movie for me.
>>
>>156234193
Only normalfags think that GITS is amazing.
>>
>>156249412

No
>>
Does this thing on her head also looks like a vr-head set?
>>
>>156251321

Say what?
>>
>>156234193
>Why do people think this is amazing?

Why do people make threads calling out movies for being overrated 22 years after the movie came out?

By todays standards, GitS does nothing special. But that's because 22 years ago it did something unique, and that uniqueness inspired 22 years worth of anime (and manga, video games, books, and other media).

So when you look at classics you have to look at them differently than other media. Because it's not that they are middle-of the road by todays standards. It's that they were cutting edge 22 years and it just took everyone else a long time to catch up.
>>
>>156252908
I'm not sure if "cutting edge" really works as such when it comes to movies.
>>
>>156253666
>I'm not sure if "cutting edge" really works as such when it comes to movies.

why can't a movie be cutting edge?

There are lots of different technology and techniques that go into developing a movie. GitS had a lot of things it did first. And they had to develop a pipeline to figure out those things and execute them in a financially reasonable manner. That is absolutely cutting edge
>>
>>156252908

GitS is still amazing by modern standards, what are you on about?
>>
You guys can be really fucking retarded.
>>
File: IMG_1227.png (701KB, 1080x1069px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1227.png
701KB, 1080x1069px
>>156234193
I love GITS, we've seen so many derivatives that it's lost it's charm. Oshi has a way with anime films that I love. I like the darker more serious tones he presents in his adaptations. I know /a/ is full of anime hipsters who hate anything that is popular but this movie was a mile stone for anime.
>>
>>156234193
>Why do people think this is amazing?
Because they took the same feeling you got and multiplied it over 9000
>>
Has /a/ contrarian levels really fucking risen to the point where not even GitS is considered good?

What the fuck is good then? Where's the fucking bar? What life-changing unseen masterpieces are you hiding in your closets that make GitS below average?

Jesus fucking Christ. You'd think something loses value the more eyes lay upon it here.
>>
>>156234193
Its pure kino if nothing else
>>
>>156255638
monogatari
/a/ is a moe board now
>>
>>156239322
Oshii is best when there's someone to rein him in, else if he's given 100% free rein it really goes off the deep end
>>
The cinematography is amazing, the animation is outstanding, the writting is subtle, it's one of the prime examples of "show, don't tell", it's smart with it's setting and very well paced.

I'm actually surprised it's as popular as it is, it's too good for the masses to like it so much. If you don't think it's amazing you either don't get it or Cyberpunk wasn't your thing to begin with.
>>
File: Bakemonogatari - 12 - Large 29.jpg (108KB, 1275x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bakemonogatari - 12 - Large 29.jpg
108KB, 1275x720px
>>156255769

Monogatari is actually kino though.
>>
File: 186fen.jpg (41KB, 584x436px) Image search: [Google]
186fen.jpg
41KB, 584x436px
>>156234193

No school setting and no cute girls.
This make everything "mature" in normalfags. Gits it´s mediocre, but because is "mature" is immune to criticism.
>>
File: shirou tanks.jpg (41KB, 635x299px) Image search: [Google]
shirou tanks.jpg
41KB, 635x299px
>>156234193
Dominio tank Police is Better than GiTS
>>
>>156255913
I feel like it relies too much on the anime meta theme to be good, it really wouldn't hold on it's own if it was your very first exposure to anime, which I get that there are better animes to start with the medium but even it's just too much. Pace, characters, story, etc.
>>
Is she better looking in the Stand Alone Complex?
>>
>>156256101
>its shit
its shit
>>
>>156256142
Yeah, but the animation is simplier so there's no more muscles, or at least not as much. Asuming you have good taste are into that
>>
>>156256060

Try criticizing it
>>
>>156256265
I prefered the body in the movie, but she looks so melanholic, almost suicidal.
>>
>>156256101

I'll agree that it'd be near worthless as an introduction to anime but I don't really think that lowers it's value. Direction may not be a tight as some of Shinbo's other work (3-gatsu), and sometimes the narrative goes off the goddamn rails whole-hog, but it has value in it's experimentation in my opinion.
>>
>>156234193
Fuck i just wanted Shorow making funny show like Dominion instedad of withe washing movies or Horse cocks.
>>
>>156234193
It's 80+ min of pure kino.
Don't listen to bait.
>>
>>156234193
You watch this show for the funsies and entertainment, that's why it's not that appealing to you.

Let me guess, Lain, Texhnolyze and even Ergo Proxy bored you to death? The underlying philosophical tones within these shows are very interesting, try to pay more attention.
>>
>>156256367
Yeah, I like to think that they gave her that lifeless gaze in an attempt to make her feel even more "synthesized", something about Motoko makes her feel less human than the rest.

>>156256380
Maybe I'll give it another try someday, I will admitively say that I only watched 6 episodes of Bake before dropping it, it's pace was just so obnoxious that I coundn't stand it, and the characters just screamed "DECONSTRUCTION" so I just had to stop. Maybe now that those themes have lost that much exposure I would be willing to give it another chance, I've heard from reliable sources that it's pretty good.
>>
>>156256596

Try watching the Kizu movies. 3 hours total so you can figure out if you want to see more, chronologically the first thing and the author himself has said you can start with it.
>>
>>156256765
Backlog'd
>>
>>156234193
>the animation was good
Because you watch it in 2017.
If you watch it in 1995 you'll realize that this movie is AMAZING.
>>
>>156257100

The animation is amazing for 2017

Everything has the appropriate amount of weight, rotation is handled beautifully, an absurd amount of attention was paid to the detail of how stuff interacts--most famously the bullets and the pillars.

How many films in the last five years were animated as meticulously?
>>
>>156256060
Tell me your criticisms instead of making vague remarks attacking strawmen.
>throwing in normalfags to divide people
No one's falling for it. Make a real criticism or stop posting.
>>
>>156257100
It's still good in 2017 damnit.
>>
are the arise films as good animation wise?

>>156257191
This is a very good question. Space dandy comes to mind, but I dont think its fair to compare a film with a tv series
>>
Op here.
Look, this is the first time I've come to /a/. I'm not trying to be contrarian, and I didn't think it was bad, I thought it was pretty good, I just wasn't sure why it was considered a landmark achievement.
>>
>>156257999

The thread told you why
>>
>>156258167
Ok, I was just letting people know I wasn't trying to be contrarian or anything.
>>
>>156258248

Fair enough. It's hard to tell on /a/ where contrarianism reigns supreme.
>>
>>156234193
>the visuals and action were interesting
I disagree. If you've seen just about any decently budgeted 80s movie taking place in urban settings, GitS isn't that visually impressive.
>>
>>156258405

Please choke
>>
>>156245334
>who weren't even alive in the early '90s to watch anime
So shouldn't you be taking such people's opinion in about GitS in a more serious regard since they're going in fresh without the nostalgia/hype of the time period it was released?
>>
>>156256085
Only thing i remember was the cat girl doing a strip tease
>>
>>156258248
Either way youre a retard. Its like some kid going "I decided to watch Citizen Kane as my first movie ever, but I dont really get why everyone loves it. Can you explain?"

No, try and see if you can understand Transformers before you start with the classics.
>>
>>156258452
I'd rather not.
>>
>>156240863
Yeah Innocence was shit, sorry. Oshii was way too far up his own ass with that movie and i like Oshii. Batou was OOC as fuck
>>
>>156244126
The Sprawl Trilogy
Snowcrash
The diamond Age off the top of my he....oh wait you were shitposting weren't you..
>>
File: 1380513335266.jpg (20KB, 461x314px) Image search: [Google]
1380513335266.jpg
20KB, 461x314px
>>156237263
>a film has no need to be entertaining
The mind of a gitsfag, everyone.
>>
>>156234193
It's what inspire the matrix. It's alright. Though the MC in the dub is the worst voice actor i have ever heard
>>
>>156256101
monogatari is made for Japs that are capable of understanding where the show is coming from in terms of references to cultures and to the light novel. The story translates very poorly for non Japanese imo
>>
>>156260303
One big reason that's hard to admit as to why I don't want to get into the gatari series it's because of it's fans, usually low taste plebs or waifufags, no wonder why so many retards would like a show they don't understand anything about.

That's one of the problems I have with shows like -gatari, it's comentary on whatever the fuck it's trying to comentate on, be it anime as a medium, it's tropes or japanese culture, etc, it does so in a way where it wants to call attention to the pandering by being self aware about it but then proceds to be as pandering as possible under the excuse that because it's supposed to be a deconstruction it's therefore smart and artsy. The people that get it don't think much of it and enjoy most of the other things about it but the faggots that don't or, as I like to call them, "muhkinofags", just act as obnoxious as the type of people they are trying to "make fun" of.
>>
>>156260664

I dunno who's telling you Monogatari's fanservice is for deconstruction purposes, but they're retarded. It serves two purposes depending on the individual moment:

A) Showing the world from RRRG's perspective

B) Selling figs

Monogatari is far from your standard shallow harem pandering bullshit but it's not afraid to pander none the less. But it's not really deconstructing anything, either.
>>
>>156260664
>no wonder why so many retards would like a show they don't understand anything about

That's a good point. A large part of the fanbase is just mindless fanservicing figure buyers and kino. I really can't eat up any sort of media for the kino aspect. I like to be absorb and reflect on the plot, not mindlessly praise aesthetic while the majority of the actual content is lost in translation, cultural differences, and lack of knowledge about written work that the visual media is meant to compliment.
>>
>>156260967

Style is substance
>>
>>156260664
It's not called the 'gatari' series you proto-nigger. It's 'monogatari'.
>>
>>156261552
style is substance like sugar is food
>>
File: Pumma sisters.jpg (165KB, 736x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Pumma sisters.jpg
165KB, 736x1080px
>>156256085
Sadly the last thing was tha bad CGI OVA.
Still some material but no chance to happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEfX7mOFo2Q
>>
>>156261552
Actually style is style
>>
File: Shirow art.png (619KB, 480x587px) Image search: [Google]
Shirow art.png
619KB, 480x587px
Shirow dont make any new, beside oiled girls, niggers and horses because he lost his material.
>>
>>156260664
>gatari
>muh plebs and waifufags
>anime is a medium
>endless projection

Good lord man at least watch it before having such a retarded opinion about something. Christ.
>>
>>156261673
>>156261783
You think another earthquake would set him straight or would he just commit seppuku?
>>
>>156261836
You don't have to be so offended, anon, I said some of them.
>>
>>156261783
Besides Oshii working/help on live action, Shirow dont sayed nothing about the western version?
>>
>>156234193
Aesthetically speaking it's superb and it's got a lot of thought-provoking sutff going on for it, but I can't rate it any higher than 7 because I didn't enjoy it THAT much. It's a fairly rare kind of anime that seeks an intellectual connection rather than an emotional one with the viewer, and how much you embrace it depends entirely on your expectations and how your mind is organized as a whole.
>>
>>156234193
It's a bladerunner ripoff, always has been, always will be, but kids on this board are now far too young to even know what bladerunner is. This is made painfully obvious by all the fags in this thread harping on about "it was sugoi 22 years ago when it was ORIGINAL, like it was even BEFORE matrix".

Just like with anything anime, it takes a concept and turns it into a "light" edition. Honestly that is why I like anime though, it is easy to digest with the mind in stand-by.

Even 22 years ago nothing in gits was original. It is liked here because this place was once filled with people 13 years younger than they are now who all worshipped the handful of 2deep4u anime, the tradition continues. In Japan nobody gives a rat's ass about gits.
>>
File: Metal slug.jpg (41KB, 641x479px) Image search: [Google]
Metal slug.jpg
41KB, 641x479px
>>156256085
The good thing o dominon was giving the idea for metal slug tank
>>
>>156258528
>puts Gits up there with Citizen Kane
>calls others retarded
You should honestly consider necking yourself, Citizen Kane has had massive influence on cinema. Gits on the other hand only really inspired The Matrix, but only after it self was inspired by Bladerunner. Acting like Gits is anywhere near Citizen Kane in importance, influence and ingenuity is just plain ignorant. There is being a weeab and then there is willingly and knowingly being retarded for the sake of praising glorious Nippon. Next you are going to tell me the TTGL sot is on the level of the great musical talents in the west. When it comes to the world of art Japan has lagged behind the west massively in almost all areas, anime is not going to be the thing to change this. Please stop being retarded.
>>
>>156262060
>It's a bladerunner ripoff, always has been, always will be, but kids on this board are now far too young to even know what bladerunner is

Holy fuck off you fucking retard brainlet. Everything Cyberpunk is Bladerunner now? Jesus.
>>
>>156262060

Please for the love of fuck tell me I read your post wrong and you're not acting elitist over having watched fucking Bladerunner of all things
>>
>>156262060
Why do people talk like Bladerunner wasn't inspired by 70s-80s Japan? Cyberpunk IS japanese.

>muh GitS was never japanese anyway! Bladerunner did it first!

Stop being retarded
>>
>>156234193
Does anyone have that screenshot where anon explains the symbolism of GitS? You all know the onw
>>
>>156258488
Maybe. Im 28 and wouldnt have seen gits until i was at least 15. No hype. Really enjoyed it. Still really enjoy it. I dont want to watch the live action at all. Ever. Anyone else feel this way?
>>
>>156262427
No, not at all, I am telling the elitist wankstains who act like Gits is some otherworldly masterpiece to royally fuck off. Gits did nothing new by the time it was made, it was well made and well thought through, but acting like it was "cutting edge" or "avant grade" is borderline learning disabled.
I merely mentioned Bladerunner because out of all the works Gits draws inspiration from, that is probably the most well known.
>>
>>156262428
>cyberpunk is Japanese
Take of the weeab classes anon, bladerunner's visuals are based on Asia, not Japan. In fact out of all the major populated areas in all of Asia, Japan is probably the least "cyberpunkish" (excluding norks).
>>
>>156262880

Yeah sure bud, maybe if you're including books. Tell me another film that handles Transhumanism the way GitS '95 does.
>>
>>156262428
>picture off lots of billboards and advertisements
>"MUH CYBERPINKS GAIZ"
Why do people still do this?
>>
>>156263004

Read some Gibson you pleb
>>
>>156234193
The story isn't supposed to be great. The visuals and action are the main draw. The SAC handles story elements better, and it also won't put you to sleep.
>>
File: NICE.jpg (24KB, 335x430px) Image search: [Google]
NICE.jpg
24KB, 335x430px
>>156237866
>>
>>156263043
Not even him but 2001 really takes the cake on that one.
And also, well, Bladerunner.
>>
File: 1372819381_cdbefca531.jpg (81KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
1372819381_cdbefca531.jpg
81KB, 500x352px
>>156263004
>>156263066
Japan was literally being called the Neon City in the 60s. If you say that Japan specifically had not a large influence in the Cyberpunk aesthetic then you absolutelly retarded.
>>
>>156263110
Gibson won't tell me anything about Bladerunner's visuals being based on Japan, which was your claim.
>>
>>156234193
why do faggots like you post this shit? All you're doing is hanging out a big sign that says "I'm too fucking stupid to understand this, please let me mongle your cocks." Too stupid? Keep your mouth shut, asswipe.
>>
>>156263338

I didn't claim shit about Bladerunner, not the same guy. I'm talking about Cyberpunk in general.
>>
>>156263110
Just an FYI, Gibson set parts of neuromancer in Japan because they were no1 microchip producer back then, their tech boom was extraordinary, it had very little (if anything) to do with the aesthetic of the place.
>>
>>156263267

I didn't say "Name anything else that talks about Transhumanism"

I'll give you that 2001 isn't entirely dissimilar, but it presents it in a very different way than GitS does.
>>
>>156263572

That's interesting to know, but really irrelevant. Whatever the reason, it stuck around.
>>
File: appleseed_cover_147.jpg (82KB, 350x481px) Image search: [Google]
appleseed_cover_147.jpg
82KB, 350x481px
>>156256085
>Appleseed is Shirow's best work

Sadly it will likely never have a good adaption, which is a damned shame. Also Duenan is best gril and could probably kick The Major's ass in a fight.
>>
>>156258405
>I disagree. If you've seen just about any decently budgeted 80s movie taking place in urban settings
Are we talking about anime or Live action? Because only thing i can think of is Akira and Blade Runner
>>
>>156256085
I would kill for a Tank Police animu reboot, but it probably too dated for some. It was the perfect anime to be when I was underage b& because I was big on police comedies like Police Academy and Tank Police was basically that and Japanese cyberpunk mixed together with a pinch of Die Hard.
>>
File: Kowloon Walled City B.jpg (162KB, 964x736px) Image search: [Google]
Kowloon Walled City B.jpg
162KB, 964x736px
>>156263004
Surprised nobody posted Kowloon walled city which was the inspiration for much cyberpunk
>>
>>156234193
Dropped it on the first episode desu. I'm guessing it's liked by the same audience that liked Ergo Proxy.
>>
>>156266464
>Dropped it on the first episode
>first episode

um....
>>
GITS has alotta nice ideas but does nothing with them so the story is largely impotent

Newfags will be mystified though
>>
>>156266500
care to explain or are you just being contrarian like many others
>>
File: 224565636.jpg (43KB, 570x311px) Image search: [Google]
224565636.jpg
43KB, 570x311px
>>156266464

>Dropped a movie on the first episode

m8
>>
>>156266571
Not really contrarian, just how I felt about it. To go indepth Id have to watch the movie again and I'd break it down (it was years ago), but for the most part its a really nice visual experience

All the yip yap about consciousness and stuff were things I was already familiar with through other studies, so I wasnt immediately wowed.
>>
>>156266746
You are not supposed to be wowed, I don't understand why would anyone expect to go into "huh, really makes me think" mode when watching movies everytime.

I get that the philosophy and themes in the movie are what made it stand out in it's time, but now that we are all familiarized with them is it really that hard to shift your focus to the portrayal of the themes rather than the contents itself? If I wanted to get them straight up I would read a book. But the whole point of art it's to display ideas in a way that we can interpret be it by music, imaginery, etc.

When I watched GitS I wasn't rolling my eyes at how they implied that the mere concept of gender was getting outdated just because I saw it wherever else already, I was involved because the movie was displaying it through Motoko's identity crisis.
>>
The original GitS, aside from the animation, is overrated and a typical example of lol2deep4u garbage that /a/ loves to tout.

Thankfully SAC dropped the pretentious philosophical bullshit and focused on action, which made the show much more entertaining.
>>
>>156266964
The portrayal itself left alot to be desired. The movie was obviously more interested in talking to itself than coveying it dramatically.

But allegedly its an art movie so thats ok or something
>>
>>156267085
When did this happen? I was dragged onto seeing the 2017 version of GitS and it was guilty of this, but the 1995 version? Where? It all feel really organic, can you give an example?
>>
>>156267141
Many moments where M is talking to Batou
>>
>>156237085
>(really, the characters in his movies always feels so emotioneless they're barely characters) it ends being boring.
but maybe that was the point? naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no way
>>
>>156267202
>its supposed to be bad
>>
>>156267188
Like when she is literally opening up to Batou? That's called character development, you are saying the movie is talking to itself and when asked when you say moments where the movie has characters talking to each other.
>>
the manga is the superior version you cock monglers
>>
>>156267279
>i need everyone to scream and talk like a teenager or is bad
>>
>>156267065
>Thankfully SAC dropped the pretentious philosophical bullshit and focused on action

The fact that you actually think this goes on to show that you're a fucking idiot. Also

>Anything that doesn't spell everything out for me like a child= pretentious
>>
>>156267283
Theres characters talking and there is "yea this is all the neat stuff i want this movie to be about" - the character
>>
>>156267289
This is true. Even as someone who liked Oshii's film, it's nothing but an abriged version of the superior manga with the superior Major.

Also the Tank scene plays out so much better in the Manga than it does the movie
>>
>>156238475
The original manga, the oshii movies, SAC, Arise, and even the live action movie are all more or less different interpretations of the same characters and ideas which I think makes for a really interesting franchise. For example the manga is a lot more lighthearted and has sillier moments while the movie is a lot more serious and philosophical while SAC is a little bit of both and a lot more consistent, I haven't seen Arise or the Live action movie but they definitely seem a lot different with Arise (I think) more about exploring the past of the characters like the major and being somewhat of a soft reboot in a way to SAC, and the live action movie just being a dumb action movie combining several elements of the original movie + sac and some generic cyberpunk
>>
>>156267312
>slow pace and monotony is deep

Its as cheap as le epic bass drops in movie trailers
>>
>>156267401
The Live action version is GITS in name only though. All the animated versions , even Arise no matter how far removed from the source still had the look , feel and over all spirit of GITS. There was some definite Shirow dna there. The movie has none of the and you can tell it was made by people who had little understanding of what they were adapting, and likely never read the manga and think Oshii created it.
>>
>>156261783
>oiled girls
And bless him for all the top tier fetish material of the best fetish

>because he lost his material.
During the earthquake right? That demoralized his spirit for good? He must've lost a shitload of things then, but how, that fucking sucks either way.
>>
>>156267359
But Motoko DOES live through what she is talking about. She has indeed no way of knowing if her ghost is real or a fantasy, she does feel and is shown to have a disconection to her humanity and she also has a good reason to keep her augmentations despite of these feelings.

When the characters talk to themselves it feels like it comes out of nowhere, but Major is developed well enough to guarantee a setting where she's talking of these things with Batou.
>>
>>156267530
I mean he still managed to get out Man Machine Interface and Aplleseed Hypernotes, he just got more interested in horsecocks or some shit. I remember him many moons ago talking about a new ip he wanted to work on but never got around to.
>>
>>156267494
I'm not defending the film in that it's good in anyway but I still think it's fair to say it's just another adaption or interpretation of the series even if it's the most disconnected of them all.

>and likely never read the manga and think Oshii created it.
tbf I don't think it's entirely necessary to read the manga to make a good GitS movie especially since the anime and original movie are a lot closer to what people really think GitS is
>>
File: kzm6sij.jpg (195KB, 1285x2021px) Image search: [Google]
kzm6sij.jpg
195KB, 1285x2021px
>>156267600
Thats a shame, I wish he would introduce a new cyberpunk manga or something, I unironically love all of his art apart from the horsecock and lewder stuff.

Do we know if he is in anyway involved with the new GitS manga adaption anime though? Considering its his work.
>>
>>156260967
>kino
Why is everyone suddenly saying 'kino this' and 'kino that'.
What the hell is kino? Is it referring to Kino's Journey?
>>
>>156267760
its a /tv/ meme
>>
File: Bato.jpg (46KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Bato.jpg
46KB, 720x405px
What are your favorite adaptions of section 9? I really like SAC motoko but Oshii Batou is probably my favorite character in the entire franchise. He also has the superior design in the original moive
>>
>>156267760
I assume it's fault of /tv/ and /co/, although I'm not sure
>>
>>156267450
>cheap
Unlike le slow motion epic bass drops, slow pacing drives away viewers. It also requires thought in its composition, mood, aesthetics - basically allowing the film to develop a strong visual language. How the fuck is it cheap?
>>
>>156267623
>since the anime and original movie are a lot closer to what people really think GitS is

The thing is the original movie was just a abriged version of the manga and even though it was very far removed from the look of the manga, weapons , vehicles , mecha were very close to what Shirow's work looks like.

They rip off the tank scene from the manga and 1995 movie, but the Tank looks nothing like shirow's mecha design, like in the original film.

Not to mention both SAC and Second Gig take a lot from the original GITS manga and Man Machine Inerface. The movie in comparison has nothing of Shirow and just rips shit from the anime and does it badly at that. It really could have been it's own thing as it feels nothing like GITS at all.
>>
File: NH.jpg (218KB, 500x702px) Image search: [Google]
NH.jpg
218KB, 500x702px
>>156267677
I think someone else is drrawing that. The other IP he was working on apperently before the earthquake was called Neuro Hard. Which was a world building project that people could base anime, manga and games off of. There is quite a bit of art online that he drew for it if you look. He since seemed to abandon it though.
>>
File: NH2.jpg (161KB, 500x702px) Image search: [Google]
NH2.jpg
161KB, 500x702px
>>156268106
It supposedly took place on "Planet of Bees" and had mechs and insect creatures
>>
>>156268011
Do you have any pictures of the tanks? Wouldn't be surprised if they just made it look like a generic cyberpunk machine, along with the rest of the world design which really bothers me. The thing I liked a lot about GitS is that it didn't necessarily look like some crazy cyberpunk world, it was close enough to reality to make you think something like this world could exist in the future
>>
>>156267854
It fools pseuds into thinking theres more depth because a scene is needlessly drawn out
>>
File: 1487008911337-comparison3.jpg (305KB, 1598x420px) Image search: [Google]
1487008911337-comparison3.jpg
305KB, 1598x420px
>>156268201
The best pic i could find of it
>>
>>156268326
It's almost like film is a visual medium or something
>>
>>156267760
Kino is a type of camera shot and, yes, it's a /tv/ meme.
I only learned what it was from watching Olympic Deathmarch on /sp/ last year
>>
>>156268406
That has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>156268326
Even if pseuds like them for shallow reasons, it does not mean there isn't directorial intent in the slowness.
>>
>>156268378
hard to see but I definitely get what you mean.
>>
>>156268183
Had a large cast of characters too and looked interesting. Shame Shirow never got to finish it. Was kinda like a cross between Dominion and Black Magic from what he showed
>>
>>156268522
True, I'm just saying dont be fooled
>>
>>156234311
it was SJW special snowflake gender bullshit behind 7 firewalls of irony.

>why do we dream
wew
>>
>>156234193
because its somehow a revelation about the dark future waiting for us when the machine and the man becomes one. the characters wont touch your heart... its the story that will scare the shit out of it.
>>
>>156267677
Manmachine Interface was utter nonsense though
>>
>>156268326

Oh fuck off
>>
>>156268667

If you think GitS's main theme was fucking gender identity you need to fucking rewatch, badly. Jesus Christ.
>>
literally watched this for the first time a few months ago in the special showing in theaters, still thought it was one of the best movies ive ever seen
>>
>>156268870
Anon is probably a millennial, we all know they're fuck stupid
>>
>>156270318
You mean Gen Z, because the youngest of Milennials are in their twenties already with the oldest approaching their mid-thirties.
>>
>>156234193

Because it approaches the idea of trans-humanism and the evolution of humanity in a pretty new light, back then as well as even now.

The movie paints cyberization of ourselves and even something like combining with AI as not inherently negative things and gives the viewer the question as to whether this should be the way humanity evolves in a more and more computerized world.

It's at least better than nu-GITS and its full on "muh individualism is better than absolutely anything else!!" message.

Besides, the visuals, animation, sound design, and even just the world building, would be enough to make this movie fantastic.
>>
>>156270371

> the youngest of Milennials are in their twenties already with the oldest approaching their mid-thirties

Aren't 'millenials' so named because they were born in 2000 > later?
>>
>>156262341
> Gits on the other hand only really inspired The Matrix

Just because the makers of the matrix literally said they were inspired by GITS doesn't mean that it didn't also HEAVILY influence the sci-fi/action genres too.
>>
>>156245587
That's actually good, though.
>>
>>156270735
t. millenial cuck
>>
>>156270625
No, the Milennials were kids who were the last generation who was going to witness/come of age at the turn of the century, aka Gen Y. The label has been around since the 80s, chief. Google it if you don't believe me.
>>
>>156256101
Agreed
>>
>>156268870
I think you need to pay attention to what the characters are struggling with, and less on the action movie plot, fag.
>>
File: 1485565844776.png (138KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485565844776.png
138KB, 1600x900px
>>156270762
Nice try
>>
>>156270815
Gender had nothing to do with anything you fucking retard
>>
>>156270371
No only a stupid fucking millennial would think this movie had anything to do with "gender politics".
Thread posts: 249
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.