[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it whenever there is an emotional scene between two characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4

File: angry.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
angry.gif
2MB, 500x375px
Why is it whenever there is an emotional scene between two characters and one is saying some deep shit, the other character ALWAYS randomly says the person's name in a monotone sad-like way? This is literally in every single fucking anime. Why do they always say other person's name? No one talks this way and there doesn't seem to be any reason for the person to do this.
>>
Anon-san...
>>
Because melodrama.
>No one talks this way
Welcome to anime, dumbass. Leave your suspension of disbelief at the door.
>>
rumiko popularized all that annoying shit
>>
It's called a meme.
>>
>>156208404
OP-kun...
>>
>>156208504
It's shit.
>>
File: 1340785291900.jpg (31KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
1340785291900.jpg
31KB, 329x357px
>>156208404
its almost like languages and cultures are different from each other
>>
>>156209284
Japanese people don't actually do that though.
>>
>character is absolutely bawling
>other character responds by saying their name in a monotone way
>>
>people don't say each other's names in emotional situations
Saying someone's name is very personal. They say it to show understanding, and that they haven't the right response to what they said right away.
>>
>>156211836
That makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>156212708
If you consider that people usually call each other by last name unless they're close, and without any honorific if they're very close, I'd say it makes sense.
It's still a bit jarring to me when I see it in every other melodrama anime ever, but nonetheless it could be justified culturally.
>>
>>156212708
Actually it does.

Cross-culturally, it's fairly common to use a vocative as a way to convey "I listened to you and I understood properly what you just said." You can see this even here, in 4chan - what do you think the meme "CARLOS!" is about?

Being monotone though is a way to convey deepness, and more culturally rooted in Japan.
>>
>>156212872
>>156212972
I'd rather that they'd actually respond instead of giving what I feel is an empty line,as that would actually give me a lot more insight to the character.
It would give so much more than "I'm in slight awe that you feel this way".
>>
>>156208404
You're definitely on the spectrum.
>>
>>156213092
It isn't empty.

I don't know the name in English, but this kind of non-informational speech is akin to saying "hello" and "goodbye". It's expected people do it in certain situations, and NOT adding it would feel weird/unnatural.
>>
It's honestly not that fucking bad.

Sure it's a common trope, but it works to solidify the mood almost all the time.

>Girl bawling her eyes out
>Guy calls her by her name, with a suffix
>She looks up teary eyed

You can't tell me this shit is not enjoyable.
>>
>>156213424
>With
I meant without* fuck, there goes my (you)s.
>>
>>156213092
I addressed this in my first post; they say it because they DON'T have a proper response right away. For a lot of people, when they're told something very personal or shocking it's hard to find the right words to say right after. Most people need time to think on things like that. If you just blurt something out without any thought you might hurt the other person.
>>
>>156213092
>Girl spills her guts out
>MC has the absolute perfect response hand-picked and ready to go as son as she stops

Don't direct anime. I don't need every romance to be filled with ~smooth~ Mary sues.
>>
>>156208404
Demo, OP-kun.... Even if you say that... I....
>>
>>156213127
The UB spectrum?
>>
>>156213566
shut the hell up
>>
>>156212972
people in real life do not just say a persons name in order to show sympathy. That is not a thing.
>>
Is the tropes thread?
>>
>>156213424
It's kind of retarded and will obviously lose any sort of effect it originally had when every show does it.

Honestly even if it didn't happen often, it's pretty cringe and also really gay.
>>
>>156214460
>That is not a thing.

I forgot only Americans exist. East Asians, Whites, Middle Easterners and the likes don't exist at all, right Tyrsley Gonzales?
>>
>>156214460
Actually filling the backchannel with a vocative is fairly common, specially to convey strong emotions. Anime might overuse it due to the rule of drama, but it does exist.

(Not only anime - just watch Mexican soap opera, they do it all the time.)
>>
File: 1492552757517.jpg (178KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492552757517.jpg
178KB, 1280x720px
>>156214432
No.
>>
>>156214748
I have lived in Hong Kong for over 19 years. I think I know what i'm talking about when I say people don't do that. At least not in Asian countries and especially not in America. I'm saying this from experience human beings don't speak like that unless you can give me a real example. It is a ridiculous trope that seems to only appear in anime and it's used in an absurd amount of shows.
>>
>>156213566
>they say it because they DON'T have a proper response right away.
(You) here, I know what you said, I just think it'd be more meaningful if they had a proper response more often than not.
>>156213222 does help to put it into perspective more, but goddamn what I wouldn't give for some actual movement in the dialogue
>If you just blurt something out without any thought you might hurt the other person.
Then let them not say anything, it's come to the point where I feel like that actually would add more to the scene. Use action. Use body language. A hug?
I'm sure many would be able to say something coherent and something with a thought in their mind after dwelling on it with some silence or the warmth of someone else.

>>156215482
All Asian places aren't Hong Kong either though. I've seen j-dramas do it as well.
>>
>>156215482
Not the one you're quoting (BTW, I hope the bait is tasty).

I did some shitty explanation in >>156214940, but the basic phenomenon is less culture-dependent than people think. You can find examples of vocative being used in this context even in English.

[John] I feel like crap, Alice. My dog just died.
[Alice] Oh John... [pause] I'm... [pause] I'm sorry for your loss.
[John] That's OK. Eventually he had to go, right.

Note how it doesn't feel unnatural at all, even in English. Now instead of the pause, have John keeping his discourse:

[John] I feel like crap, Alice. My dog just died.
[Alice] Oh John...
[John] That's OK. Eventually he had to go, right.

The major difference here is that "oh", in English it feels more natural than without it; but the underlying thing is the same.

So it isn't like the trope is exclusive to anime; it's _exaggerated_ in animes*, soap opera and other means.

*inb4 yes, I pluralize it.
>>
>>156214940
>watch Mexican soap opera
Why would you do that to yourself?
>>
>>156215828
Also, I feel like what's unnatural here is less the "monotone name" itself, but the lack of a further answer. Sometimes it does sound like the person doing it is braindead or crap like that.
>>
>>156215965
In this case I'm saying to watch some as an example where this shit happens a lot.

inb4 OH NANDITO!!! OH ALICIA!!!1
>>
File: 1486247546971.png (84KB, 360x345px) Image search: [Google]
1486247546971.png
84KB, 360x345px
You aren't Japanese. How do you know people don't talk that way?
>>
>People never say this
>Just today at work, a female employee blew up at a boss. His exact response:
>Oh Cathy, I...

It's a thing you fucking lunatic. It's a loss for words from such a sudden outburst.
>>
>>156215942
That's all true but I think the urban youths of today just say "damn..." or "shit nigga..." instead of the persons name.
>>
>>156215828
>All Asian places aren't Hong Kong either though.
I've stayed in all the countries surrounding me for long periods of time. Not once did that happen.
>I've seen j-dramas do it as well.
Just like anime, that is an exaggerated ways of speaking and not how real people talk.
>>156215942
>[Alice] Oh John... [pause] I'm... [pause] I'm sorry for your loss.
You're losing track of the whole point. You're bringing up the kind of conversation you would hear in a TV show rather than a real conversation. Normal people wouldn't say "Oh John", they would just say sorry for their loss and only say their name to greet them. You're not using a realistic form of dialogue people actually speak.

Even with that being said, it doesn't explain why they do this in anime since they only say the person's name and do not continue to say anything afterwards. I don't understand why people feel the need to try and justify this instead of just admitting it's a dumb thing that constantly happens in anime and leave it at that.
>>
>>156215482
>Hong Kong
>The chinese knowing anything about human sympathy or empathy
Really dude
>>
>>156216450
>Oh cathy, I,,,
>Is the same thing as just saying the person's name with no intention of saying anything else
are you retarded?
>>
>>156216584
Lurk more.
>>
>>156216536
This guy gets it. I would never fucking say oh john then show them sympathy. That is over-dramatic and the kind of shit I see in soap operas
>>
>>156216502
Even if not a name, "nigga" in this case is related.

>>156216536
>You're losing track of the whole point. You're bringing up the kind of conversation you would hear in a TV show rather than a real conversation.
This happens in real life too in a smaller degree, in real conversations.

>I don't understand why people feel the need to try and justify this instead of just admitting it's a dumb thing that constantly happens in anime and leave it at that.

Or maybe people are trying to analyze it instead of aggressively picking a side - something that would be stupid?

I personally am trying to pinpoint what specifically is sounding strange in this case. I'm led to believe it is not the vocative, but the lack of a following fragment. If this reasoning is correct, it's more like "anime characters are emotionally dumb", a far worse criticism to the narrative than yours.
>>
>>156216713
Says something incorrect: "Anon..."
Says something outrageous: "Anon!"
Does something shitty: "Anon!"
Talks about something bad: "hey/oh Anon..."

Can you see how those are related to the "monotone saying the name" the OP complains about?
>>
>>156216606
But they do have the intention of saying something else. THEY ALWAYS SAY SOMETHING ELSE.

God you fucking bastard, I'm done with the shit. Think whatever the fuck you want, ignore every little thing everyone says for all I fucking care I'm so through with you.
>>
>>156216872
Why would you feel the need to say their name when you're obviously already talking to that specific person and they are responding? It makes no sense to say their name when it is more than clear the two people are already communicating with one another. The only time it would be necessary to say the other person's name is to either say "hello" or "goodbye".
>>
>>156216875
>>156216875
>THEY ALWAYS SAY SOMETHING ELSE.
>Character is crying and pouring their heart out
>Other character - says "name" then gets quiet.
>Character continues to pour heart out
How is that them saying something else. Makes no sense.
>>156216875
>God you fucking bastard, I'm done with the shit. Think whatever the fuck you want, ignore every little thing everyone says for all I fucking care I'm so through with you.
Mods please ban this kid. He is obviously underage going by the hissy fit he is having.
>>
>>156217076
Because greeting someone is the proper thing to do. Saying their name while already in conversation with them is not. Who the fuck even does that.
>>
>>156217112
at first I didnt understand your argument but now i get it. it is weird to say their name when you already have their attention and are already talking to them. even i dont do that sort of thing
>>
>>156217112
Sorry, I deleted the post because I meant to add more stuff. Anyway, since you read it:

In other words, saying useless stuff that conveys no information like "hello" is still done because it acknowledges the presence of the other person in a social context, right?

The name there is doing pretty much the same. No, it has nothing to do with actually _calling_ the other person to engage a conversation or get their attention. It is a form of feedback* that, in that social context, it's expected from the other to at least acknowledge what the other person is saying as emotionally meaningful, and to encourage the other person to keep talking.

*feedback: when the listener of a monologue speaks something short, nods or make a small noise to convey they're listening.
>>
>>156217264
Vocative isn't used only to draw attention.
>>
>>156208504
You mean they need to pick up their suspension of disbelief instead of leaving at the door.
>>
>>156217370
That has nothing to do with the main topic or why it's used in anime since the context is completely different. In your own post, you pretty much admit there is no real reason for people to do this since in a realistic conversation people aren't that dramatic when it comes to the way they speak. I can see how it can work in a movie or television series, but it's not something that happens is real life situations unless you're a weirdo.
>>
>>156217480
>implying people can suspend their disbelief when it happens in almost every show
I don't see people can tolerate it after seeing it so many times. It's gotten to the point where I have to shake my head because of how often this happens.
>>
>>156217634
>That has nothing to do with the main topic or why it's used in anime since the context is completely different.
Jeez... please tell me you're trolling by playing dumb.

OP's complain boils down to "in emotional anime scenes, the speaker does a monologue and the listener gives feedback with a monotone vocative". It has everything to do with what I said in >>156217370.
>>
>>156217814
That does not explain why exactly they say their name though. If YOU wanted give them feedback, why the fuck would their name be the thing you say? It makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever and it a random thing to do.
>>
>Getting angry over a true and tried troupe

I understand if you don't like it, but don't fix what isn't broken. Not even as big a deal as something like
>Chikoku chikoku!
Or
>Iyaaaaaa! -skyward pan-
>>
>>156217955
>Blah blah blah blah blah! ;_;
>Anon-chan...
>Blah? Blah blah blah! BLAH BLAH BL-
>*Kissu
>Talks to her after she's calmed down

That's how it normally happens. Or leave the kiss out, and it's just him waiting until she says everything.

Watch better romance, my man.
>>
>>156218101
>tried in true
when it happens over a 1000 times, it completely loses all meaning it originally had. If someone is crying and telling you their issues, you don't just say their name, you comfort them by saying you're willing to help in any way you can. Just saying their name is absolutely retarded and doesn't add anything to the situation.

It's a dumb trope that has been done to death.
>>
>>156217955
>That does not explain why exactly they say their name though.
Jesus. I did at least a half dozen posts explaining it:

>>156212972
>>156214940
>>156213222
>>156215942
>>156216760
>>156216872

Go read them. If you're unable to extract meaning from those, it's no wonders then why you don't get the reason for "BERUDANDII..."-ing in animes.
>>
>>156218293
Your whole argument doesn't work because you can show the same amount of meaning by inserting words other than a person's name.
>anime
Oh I see what's going on here.
>>
>>156218426
Dude, just so I can measure the social conventions you're used to, how "direct" people are to speak around you:

How often are you called "dumb" or "idiot" outside 4chan?
>>
>>156218426
>>anime
>Oh I see what's going on here.

See >>156215942
>*inb4 yes, I pluralize it.

>inb4 I'm discussing with the imbecile who thinks "anime" and "sheep" are uncountable.
>>
>>156218455
This is what your resorting to? Your behavior is childish.
>>
>>156218230
That's it.

Give me an example. An example from an anime.

Tell me an anime that had the girl pour their heart out to the guy, and all he said was her name and the conversation was 100% over.

Easy mode: Use any shitty harem or horrific anime you please.
>>
I have never once got into an emotional conversation with someone and neither they or I have ever said each other's names. That is absolutely the stupidest thing anyone can do. I was sure that kind of thing only happened in anime. Maybe I have to wear a fedora in order to understand.
>>
>>156218695
>what is every romance drama for 100?
Watch more anime, son.
>>
>>156218702
It's an anime trope.

You know, those things that work in anime and shouldn't be compared to real life? Yeah, that.
>>
>>156218565
I'm totally not doubting your ability to read and understand a text written in English based on your apparent lack of intelligence, okay? I'm just trying to understand the social conventions around. Yup. No childish behaviour at all, right. And I totally didn't remember some novel saying "you can't teach a rhino how to do tricks".

...on a more serious tone: I'm not "resorting" to anything. I explained the shit over and over again. If you're still unable to understand it, seriously, I'd rather talk with my dog - intelligence-wise you two are the same, but he can pretend a bit better than you.
>>
>>156218784
then why are so many people (or maybe a bunch of samefags) saying that people do that irl?
>>
>>156218746
Give me an example, or you lose every ounce of credibility you thought you had.
Even though I know you're just baiting for replies now.
>>
>>156208404
antisocial neckbeard detected.
>>
>>156218823
I'm not going to sit through a dozen of cringe worthy comments. But no, this is an anime thing.
>>
>>156218802
not the anon you're responding to, but now you're just shitposting. originally i thought you were making some sense but after awhile you became repetitive and began repeating the same things over and over. Even when your theory was argued, you responded with
>O I ALREADY SED IT GUIZ
C'mon, anon.
>>
>>156218926
Thank god. I thought I was the only person reading through a bunch of retarded posts wondering what is wrong with people.
>>
>>156218946
Come on, shitposting is fun and you can clearly tell shitpost vs. serious posts apart - like you did now.

And he wasn't arguing against the theory but showing he clearly did not understand what I said. In this case furthering argumentation does nothing, specially since most of his posts boil down to "i nevah see dis".

Anyway. Any specific point you disagree with?
>>
>ask a question
>the person they asked repeats the question
>>
>>156219525
This is Japanese-specific; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizuchi
>>
>>156209988
Japanese people usually don't monologue controversial philosophical parallels. The response is not that unheard of for when that does happen.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.