[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what do you guys think about Suehiro Maruo and Junji Ito?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: The Stalin.jpg (81KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
The Stalin.jpg
81KB, 612x612px
So what do you guys think about Suehiro Maruo and Junji Ito? I'm not really an extensive manga reader, I was just lucky enough to come across these wonderful bastards and I was wondering if there was anything similar to pick up - apart from Shintaro Kago and Kazuo Umezu, as I'm already familiar with them.
>>
Junji Ito is a good intro to horror manga and often overrated af, Suehiro Maruo and Kago Shintaro are better IMHO. Haven't read anything at all from Kazuo Umezo except Drifting Classroom, so I won't judge him based on that series alone.

Usamaru Furuya, Hitoshi Iwaaki and to an extend Kitoh Mohiro all have similar themes with Maruo and Ito.
>>
You're also evidently not an extensive /a/ lurker either. /a/ isn't your personal search engine. Try MAL or Baka-Updates Manga.
>>
>>155897499
Calm down buddy, can we have a thread about horror manga every once in a while? It's quite an underappreciated genre here.
>>
>>155897585
Not him, but "recommend me manga" is not how you start a horror manga thread.
>>
>>155897585
Well, that's one way to show you're an idiot. There's a difference between having a horro manga thread and a recommendation thread..
>>
>>155897648
>There's a difference between having a horro manga thread and a recommendation thread
Most of generals, are ultimately just thinly veiled recommendation threads.
>>
>>155897449
Thanks for the names, though I don't really see how Ito is overrated as I think every one of his manga manages to fuck up my perspective on "normal life" and all of its accessories as much as Kago or Maruo do (though I still prefer the latter, The Laughing Vampire is something I will never fucking forget).

Take Uzumaki, for example, and its "side-stories" like the one about a guy getting a suspension stuck in his spine. That story, in its what, six or seven tables, is still more unsettling than everything I've read from Kago.

>>155897499
Yeah, I'm not a lurker and I don't know the argot of this board as well as, probably, I should. Still, I just wanted to have a thread about Maruo and, not knowing how well he's received on here, I tried the milquetoast recc approach. Guess it wasn't the best one.
>>
>>155897731
>generals
I don't think you know what a general is.
>>
File: yes and.jpg (71KB, 620x872px) Image search: [Google]
yes and.jpg
71KB, 620x872px
>>155897731
Are you stupid? I don't recall anyone saying anything about generals. They're just a different form of cancer from recommendation threads. The former is a shitty isolated chatroom, and the latter is a way for lazy, entitled morons to get free shit from people without putting in any effort of their own. And just because one idiot makes a garbage thread doesn't justify the existence of other garbage threads. Just because everyone else is pissing in the pool doesn't mean you should too.

People think that this is all a part of some "elitism" meme but the fact of the matter is that people like this just drag the already-low quality of the board down even further with their entitlement complex.
>>
I like Suehiro Maruo a lot, I've read a couple of his interviews and it's interesting how he's influenced a lot of current manga artists. He's kind of private but he has a twitter and appeared on a livestream for Comic Beam recently

Like >>155897449 posted, Usamaru Furuya is one of those mangaka that looked up to him a lot, and Atsushi Kaneko also said that Maruo was his favorite artists. It's funny because they're both so different, too - Furuya
followed Maruo for his work in theater and Kaneko knew about him from the punk music scene / western horror film influence
>>
>>155897992
Thanks for adding Kaneko. Thinking about it, I'm left wondering about a possible connection between Maruo and Tsukamoto's Kaijyu Theatre (of tetsuo: The Iron Man fame). Didn't know Maruo used to work with theatrical companies.

>he has a twitter and appeared on a livestream for Comic Beam recently
Funny to think about, if you consider his autobiographies
>>
>>155898306
Yeah, Maruo was associated with Tokyo Grand Guignol and Usamaru Furuya's manga Litchi Hikaru Club is an adaptation of the play Maruo was involved with. JA Seazer also did music for a bunch of plays in the same period and wound up making the soundtracks for Shoujo Tsubaki and Revolutionary Girl Utena.
>>
>>155898516
Appreciate the information, thank you very much. I've been wanting to get into Japanese contemporary theatre for while, maybe this'll be the breaking-in point.

You'll probably appreciate this, though I'm going to bet it won't be anything new. Still, someone else is going to maybe enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNutUqRYSio
>>
>>155898914
If you like that kind of music you'd definitely like Seazer.
>>
>>155899066
Of course I won't, the music is awesome and, apparently, he collaborated with Shuji Terayama on multiple occasions, which could only be considered a positive sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KGi-KJQkak
>>
>>155899544
I will*
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.