[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Hi10p anime downloads so bloated now? They use to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Hi10P.png (3KB, 150x83px) Image search: [Google]
Hi10P.png
3KB, 150x83px
Why are Hi10p anime downloads so bloated now? They use to be less than 100MiB per 720p rip without any issues. Now we have the same TV rips with bloated file sizes of 250MiB to 400MiB
>>
Because Hi10 is just a video codec. And like any video codec, it can be used to produce content of radically varying size and quality depending on what encode settings you tell it to use. Each encoder has to choose how important size and quality is to them.
>>
>>155852082
Thanks Daiz.
>>
>>155852082
>100mb
Enjoy your low bitrate garbage with shit audio.
>>
>>155852082
Because action, low crf or mpeg2.
Or you're just a faggot that loves eating shit.
>>
>>155852567
Its terrible how we went to normal h264 to super bloated h264+hi10p

>>155852721
But the bitrate was the same? Hi10p came with Ogg sound files...

It was possible to get a shitty 720p down to the 50mib mark without any change
>>
>>155852082
it's just better compression, it doesn't mean it automatically results in smaller file sizes. it can also result in higher quality given a constant file size.

How demanding anime is also depends a lot on how many many frames it is animated and how much motion there is.

>>155853336
>Its terrible how we went to normal h264 to super bloated h264+hi10p
h10p does not increase file size. at all. it either reduces filesize or increases quality.
if filesizes have increased that it is due to factors completely unrelated to hi10p.

>It was possible to get a shitty 720p down to the 50mib mark without any change
hahahaha. no. either you're blind or you're comparing some static scene SoL with some action-packed mecha show. Bit rate varies A LOT depending on content.

Some 24fps CGI dance sequences clock in at 70MiB per minute at 720p to preserve BD quality. Granted that is at 4:4:4 and not the usual 4:2:0, but still, it's far far more than 50MB for a whole episode.
>>
>>155853741
>to preserve BD quality.

Talking TV rips? BD rips take weeks come out or non existent
>>
>>155854602
The BD rip was an example for high quality content. "tv rips" these days can come from streaming services, which can have some high bitrate options (not crunchy though).

Anyway, you're missing the trees for the forest. It's about content having an outsized impact compared to the codec level used.
>>
>>155854828
>have some high bitrate options

You mean how the majority of it is terrible?

>BD rip was an example for high quality content

But it had nothing to do with it? New anime rips are bloated

> outsized impact compared to the codec level used

Hi10p was supposed to reduce file sizes for new anime without quality issues. Now you have new Hi10p rips with bloated file sizes due to poor understanding on the purpose
>>
>>155854971
>Hi10p was supposed to reduce file sizes
that's an oversimplification. above all it was supposed to preserve smooth gradients resulting from debanding filters applied by sub groups at reasonable bitrates. trying to preserve gradients at 8bit would require ridiculous amounts of bandwidth similar to preserving film grain.

So it's filesize savings relative to ridiculously large debanded 8bit encodes.

More generally speaking 10bit simply provides a modest compression ratio improvement. I.e. higher quality for any particular size. That still does not tell you anything about the size / quality tradeoff (generally the CRF setting) that the encoder can make. All of the following are possible:

>8bit, small
>8bit, large
>10bit, small
>10bit, large

Groups apparently go for the last for MAXIMUM QUALITY. But again THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH 10BIT, RETARD.

> due to poor understanding on the purpose
the poor understanding is on your end.
>>
>>155855145
>supposed to preserve smooth gradients

You have to remember that these are poor rip sources in the first place.

>last for MAXIMUM QUALITY

You mean from the same terrible rip sources?
>>
>>155855373
I give up. Either you are too uninformed to understand or you don't want to understand.
>>
>>155855414
I think the problem is that you're mostly talking about BD encoding which is the only encoding most sub groups still deal with and OP is bitching about TV rips which all come from nips making them. So yeah, he doesn't understand that he's barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>>155855414
Because you were the one showing me additional information that has nothing to with the topic; on how the Hi10p container is being used with bloated file sizes for streaming rips. That before you could have had nice rips without the dithering issues at a low file size
>>
>>155855559
TV encoding varies a lot. They're simply not comparable. And often not even 10bit especially if we're talking about HS.
>>
>>155855608
>That before you could have had nice rips without the dithering issues at a low file size
Not sure if blind or retarded.
>>
>>155855559
>TV rips which all come from nips

Now the problem is that these same rips came in simple container formats in average file sizes.
>>
>>155855660
You mean how this was proven several years ago? It was very possible and it worked well for some time. Now you have this issue of Tv rips with large file sizes with Hi10p which is all snakeoil at that point
>>
>>155855414
The guy is a fucking retard. Don't even bother.
>>
File: HS quality, 8bit.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HS quality, 8bit.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>155855930
What is the file size of a single ep?
>>
>>155855757
Please provide evidence of these "high quality 100MB" rips. Decent audio is ~30MB for a standard episode, so you're looking at like 70MB for the video. That's around 400 kb/s for a standard episode, which for 720p is garbage. I can guarantee it looks like fucking shit.
>>
>>155855608
OK, I'll bite. First let's talk about "bloat". You're throwing this term around but it means only one thing: bigger file size resulting from unskillful encode without the expected quality gain (i.e using dia subme1, for example). Most fansub groups have dedicated staff whose only job is to encode ts files, so having a "bloated" file from a fansub group is a very rare occurrence.

Then let's talk about "nice quality", if you're watching anime on a 15" 720p laptop screen, it's true you might not notice quality gain since you're already watching at the best your monitor can do but that doesn't mean the quality isn't there in the file. If you upgraded the monitor you'd see the difference. When I'm at some places even mini-reecnodes are equate for me because I'm not taking advantage of the quality but when I'm at my usual setup, the banding and artifacts would be too distracting to enjoy watching.

Finally 8bit vs 10bit. 10bit gives better quality at a lower filesize since it offers more compression and has some advantages when encoding large areas of solid color (i.e. anime). Provided both are encoded properly, you'd achieve the same quality of ~600MB per episode if 8bit, at maybe ~400MB if 10bit.
>>
>>155855930
550MB, 23minutes @ 1080p and it's 2pass encoded. Crunchy is shit. Not that any of that is news.
>>
>>155856266
was for >>155856039
>>
>>155852082
100mb or 400mb still done in 3 minutes
>>
>>155856207
>Decent audio is ~30MB

Ogg? Provides small file audio footprint with the same quality

> it looks like fucking shit.

Again you are forgetting the source of the material.

>>155856247
> dedicated staff whose only job is to encode

You mean how Xvid is still a thing in the industry?

>>155856247
>If you upgraded the monitor you'd see the difference.

You mean on cheap IPS panels? You won't notice it even on NEC panels since they are so small.

> because I'm not taking advantage of the quality

Again with the BDs?

>>155856266
550MB for that? Its a huge upscale 720p turd
>>
>>155856941
>NEC panels
OK. Good Bait. I'll admit you almost had me for a second there. Omigoto desu.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.