[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What, in your opinion are the best anime/manga live adaptations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13

What, in your opinion are the best anime/manga live adaptations worth watching?

For me the absolute best adaptation is the 2005 Japanese Hana Yori Dango. The manga is long and bloated and a bit meandering. I never got into it, even though it is generally one of the greatest classics ever made in shoujo. But the drama cuts immediately to the heart of what makes the manga such a classic at all. The story is good and both Doumyouji and Tsukasa are incredibly charming on their own and even moreso together as they bounce off each other. It doesn't get into a lot of the goofy slapstick that too many Japanese live action adaptations feature either. Not just shoujo or romance fans but I think everyone should watch.

The Korean one is way way too goofy, on contrast and not half as likeable.
>>
File: xoc45oy065wlo50o.jpg (44KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
xoc45oy065wlo50o.jpg
44KB, 375x500px
>>155761861

That might make it a good drama, but a good drama doesn't necessarily make a good adaptation imho.

I liked the Korean version of City Hunter too, but its very different tonally and plot wise from the manga.
>>
I also really liked the 2013 Itazura na Kiss ("Mischevious Kiss") from Japan. But the male lead has such a baby face. By the time it gets to part II its just too much. He looks 12!

I'm currently watching the new Thai adaptation of the same, and really like what they did with Kinnosuke (or "King"). Like Kinnosuke was okay I guess, but I never honestly saw him as a real romantic rival. He's way too loud and stupid. But in this drama they make him way more sweet, caring and likeable. They got the same leads as in Full House (another amazing manga adaptation) to play Naoki/Tenten and Kotoko/Taliw. I'm really liking it so far. They flesh out Naoki too so his feelings and his initial coldness have some backstory to it.
>>
Nodame Cantabile
Liar Game
GTO
>>
Himizu
Tokyo Tribe
Aoi Honoo
>>
JIN is also good and its Sakamoto Ryouma is for me just the best, the actor even won awards for it. Made me fall in love with him as a historical figure I guess. And it does a good job of keeping the story of the manga together. When I read the manga I got a very sort of "disease of the day" feel. But the drama makes it into one story and as a result I got more attached to Jin's problems.

I think its actually my 2nd favorite live adaptation after the 2005 HYD. Koreans did one too but of course they really Koreanized it so everyone is a supermodel and the Japanese setting is missing. Personally I think it loses something in that.

>>155762339

Oh wait Full House is manhwa. wups
>>
File: Ouroboros.jpg (131KB, 949x668px) Image search: [Google]
Ouroboros.jpg
131KB, 949x668px
I liked it.
>>
>>155761982
Korean City Hunter is terrible as an adaptation and even worse as a standalone show. It's only for horny housewives
>>
File: 1464889700972.gif (4MB, 318x200px) Image search: [Google]
1464889700972.gif
4MB, 318x200px
>>155761804
IWGP
>>
>>155761804
I've heard the Chihayafuru movies are good but I haven't seen them myself
>>
File: nodame-cantabile-movie.jpg (134KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
nodame-cantabile-movie.jpg
134KB, 704x396px
>>155762421
>>155762598

lol I watched part of Nodame Cantabile and Liar Game but they both seem to suffer from that Japanese drama thing where they translate over-the-top manga reactions (or hairstyles in the case of Akiyama) straight into real life actors. I can't get into it! Also what did they do to Fukunaga? Why?

The Korean Liar Game is okay but didn't add anything for me. Probably better than the Japanese one though if only because it cuts out the slapstick.

I'll have to check out the rest.
>>
>>155762711
Touma Ikuta always play a cuck?
>>
File: speed_racer.jpg (835KB, 1592x2358px) Image search: [Google]
speed_racer.jpg
835KB, 1592x2358px
I love Speed Racer.
>>
File: cityhunter5.jpg (36KB, 560x400px) Image search: [Google]
cityhunter5.jpg
36KB, 560x400px
>>155762771

I'm a horny housefiance so. I liked the romance and the action and the characters. Kim Sang Joong in particular is amazing. Whenever I see him anywhere else, he's just the dad from City Hunter.

>>155762802

I think IWGP is actually a drama-->manga. The drama came first.
>>
How has nobody said Ichi the Killer and Battle Royale?
Though I wouldn't really say they're the best adaptations in the strictes sense of the word, they are both still phenomenal films.
>>
>>155763069
>I think IWGP is actually a drama-->manga. The drama came first.

Novel came first apparently. Whatever it was funny.
>>
>>155762890
Yes
>>
Can I just take the opportunity of a JDrama thread to ask if anyone has watched the show Hibana on Netflix? How is it.
>>
>>155763320
it's like, indie art house but about japanese comedy... like a lowbrow/highbrow kind of contrast? I haven't finished it but it is strangely kind of calming. Reminds of me this extremely slow thai movie I watched way back
>>
>>155763207
Battle Royale is based on a novel that later got a manga adaptation. Just saiyan. Still great

The Ichi the Killer movie is based as fuck. It was Miike as his prime
>>
The Nodame dorama is great, although it does try to copy the slapstick and it doesn't work well in live-action. But Ueno Juri is just fantastic as Nodame, a joy to watch.
>>
File: 51.jpg (287KB, 1456x1072px) Image search: [Google]
51.jpg
287KB, 1456x1072px
>>155763207

Battle Royale is a novel but yes, the movie does a better job of adapting said novel than the manga does. (The manga is ass)
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 188x269px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 188x269px
I'll just throw this out there because I doubt anyone's seen it, but there's a korean movie adaptation of antique (BL) and I love it. It's hilarious and has the same characters, but korea is pretty much no homo so that bits cut out. It's more of a dramedy in the movie version
>>
>>155763442
Oh, and Rurouni Kenshin. I only watched the first movie, but I was surprised at how good it was.
>>
>>155763430
Yeah, adapted by the same guy who wrote the novel.
>>
Edge of Tomorrow was great.
Don't know of the dumbass mods will delete this thread again because they're fucking stupid and dont know the rules, I hate this board's moderation so much it's so unbelievably terrible.
>>
File: edge of tomorrow.jpg (356KB, 1280x961px) Image search: [Google]
edge of tomorrow.jpg
356KB, 1280x961px
Sue me
>>
>>155763519
agreed. bonus you see t. cruise get the shit kicked out of him a lot
>>
>>155762598
Haven't read Aoi Honoo but the adaptation is fucking comedy gold. The Himizu manga was good but the adaptation was even better since it was done by Sion Sono.

Those two are probably the best manga live adaptations that have or will ever be.
>>
>>155762339
>that face
you just can't hire a nip actor to portray an alpha badass like Naoki
>>
>>155762339
>They flesh out Naoki too so his feelings and his initial coldness have some backstory to it.
Dude, have you ever even read the original manga?
He's partly that way because his (hysterical)mom dressed him up as a little girl when he was a kid since she wanted a girl and got depressed when it turned out to be a boy
>>
>>155765089
If you haven't seen Tokyo Tribe, it's also by Sion Sono. Fucking great movie. I think he's done maybe one or two more manga adaptations besides, but I haven't seen them.
>>
File: himizu.jpg (414KB, 880x1235px) Image search: [Google]
himizu.jpg
414KB, 880x1235px
>>155765276
Himizu is based on a manga. That was really depressing, Sono made it really about the 2012 tsunami
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.