[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that Gurren Lagann is superior to Kill La Kill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_2190.jpg (63KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2190.jpg
63KB, 480x360px
Can we all agree that Gurren Lagann is superior to Kill La Kill in every way?

KLK's still good though.
>>
>>155647854
it really isn't
>>
>>155647886
>Stronger theme

>Superior animation

>Character development is more prevalent

>Better pacing

>Stronger antagonist

>Better action

>No Mako

I'd say that it is.
>>
KlK has a lot more interesting characters with better development, TTGL only has Simon. Also there's a deeper symbolism and themes explored.
>>
>>155647854
I agree.
>>
>>155647854
I went through this entire discussion the other day. It ended with 2 points.

Men are better than women, ergo Gurren Lagann is better.

Kill la Kill hurt itself thematically and artistically by never showing nipples.
>>
>>155648793
>TTGL only has Simon
Rossiu and Viral have good developments too.
>>
>>155647982
>>Stronger theme
How so?
>>Superior animation
Sure.
>>Character development is more prevalent
TTGL focuses on the development on one character, KLK on three. KLK's also feels more natural and less by the book. Speaking of characters in general, KLK has better characterization.
>>Better pacing
Both have their faults.
>>Stronger antagonist
The Anti Spiral really isn't any better than Ragyo + Nui. And obviously Lord Genome can't compare with Satsuki.
>>Better action
The action is better animated, but KLK has better choreography most of the time and actual use of strategy.
>>No Mako
So -1 for TTGL?
>>
>>155647886
>you share a board with plebs of this level
let that sink in
>>
File: grin logon.png (400KB, 660x1531px) Image search: [Google]
grin logon.png
400KB, 660x1531px
KLK was at least original content and not just a Getter homage.
>>
>>155647854

reminder that KLK is perverted doggo imagination
>>
>>155651093 #
Instead it was a Cutie Honey homage.
>>155651025
TTGL is loved by plebs of the highest degree so that argument really doesn't work here.
>>
>>155647854
Kill la kill is a direct copy of Gurren Lagann.
>>
>>155647854
I'd agree, KLK didn't feel like it had the right balance between silliness and seriousness.
>>
>>155651770
The opposite, TTGL starts silly and by the last arc is 100% dead serious all the time, KLK has consistent tone from beginning to end.
>>
File: Yoko.gif (4MB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
Yoko.gif
4MB, 500x283px
>>
>>155647854
klk is superior on a scene-by-scene basis at least, i thought it had way more unique, memorable moments
>>
>>155652088
So hot it burns.
>>
>>155653306
Her body's smokin.
>>
>>155652088
Those are some nice legs
>>
I certainly agree, however I think both got really shit at the ends. KLK went from a fairly ineresting concept with fun-shit animation to a hamfisted cringefest within the first 10 episodes and unfortunately never improved. I don't remember much of TTGL but if I recall correctly the only really unenjoyable arc is the last one set in the future which just felt like a silly last minute addon.
>>
>>155647854
They are literally the same show.
>>
KLK had vastly superior characters
>>
>ttgl
shitty getter robo ripoff

>klk
shitty cut ie honey ripoff
>>
>>155654252
>to a hamfisted cringefest
Cringe.
>>
>>155655869
Congratulations on your empty response anon, now you have identified yourself as a moron! You should become a tripfag so everyone can filter you.
>>
Ryuko > Simon
Satsuki > Viral
Mako > Kamina
Senketsu > Nia
Devas > Heavenly Kings
Nui > Lord Genome
Ragyo > Anti Spiral
Tsumugu > Rossiu
Mankashakus > Gurren Brigade
Aikuro > Leeron
Takarada > Kittan
>>
>>155657505
I agree with all of those except Lord Genome and the Anti-Spiral are way cooler and more compelling villains than garish disco bird woman and punished yukarin
>>
>>155657699
Thinking about it, Rossiu and Tsumugu are equally bad. Both had potential but one was made into a character that only existed to be hated and the other into a joke character.
But Nui is more entertaining than Genome.
>>
>>155657505
Simon > Ryuko
Satsuki > Lord genome
Kamina > Mako
The elite 4 > Four supreme generals
Anti spiral > Ragyo
Kittan > Tsumugu

Other comparisons do not work.
>>
>>155657940
I like both of them on paper, if they had got more of a complete arc as the skeptic who comes around instead of just being a sort of swept aside after the fact I feel they could have been something.
>>
>>155658438
Senketsu and Nia are pretty much the exact same character as far as their role in the show and their character arc. The MC suffers a loss that puts them in a desperate situation and stumble into a junk heap of failed daughters of the spiral king/kamui copies and they become the MC's counterpart who at the same time learns to act human from MC.

Rossiu and Tsumugu are also both skeptics who are originally introduced to hint at the true plot of the show.

You could make a case for Mikisugi and Leeron both being pervert info dump/comic relief characters.

Meanwhile the generals while they share a name with each other I don't think are actual parallels. If anything I'd say Gamagori is the Kittan of the group.
>>
>>155658438
>Simon > Ryuko
"No."
And while some are far fetched and only made for fun,
Senketsu > Nia
certainly do work.
>>
>>155647854
well what has topped gurren laggan?
>>
>>155650043
>Viral
man his perfect world was kind of heartbreaking
>>
>>155651093
>that old youtube format
how old is that image?
>>
>>155658766
Well, i can see your point on Nia/senketsu and Rossiu/Tsumugu. But Mikisugi is more like a cross between Kamina and Leeron.

And it all comes down to the structure of both shows:
>Both start out with a hothead and crew, taking on an impossible enemy.
>The enemy consists of a leader and 4 subordinates, who each take a turn, facing the main characters (and loosing).
>The hero goes berserk for a while.
>Then comes the big twist, that the main villain wasn't actually bad, and there is a God-tier villain out there.
>The heroes and the former villains team up, to take down the God tier villain and it's mooks.
>Everyone gets powerups.
>Thanks to ridiculous amount of willpower, the good guys beat the God-tier villain.

There are more parallels, but these are the main ones.
>>
>>155647982
>Better pacing
Sure if you can get through the coma inducing snooze fest that is the first handful of episodes
>>
That discussion doesn´t make sense at all; TTGL focuses on a younger audience and almost only childish people or teenagers/kids actually like it, and KLK is also more likely to appeal to a younger audience but by far not as hard as TTGL
TTGL is a show for kids like seriously the only reason to watch it is yoko; still can´t get how 18-... can watch it without getting bored and tired of these stupid ass characters which are legit unlikeable except for Kamina mbe who died after 10 episodes
>>
>>155659700
>TTGL focuses on a younger audience a
not sure where you get that conclusion,
TTGL was suppose to be a tribute to a lot of old mecha shows.
>>
File: CjDDkvCUUAE_bu3.png (240KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CjDDkvCUUAE_bu3.png
240KB, 600x600px
No, Luluco is.
>>
>>155647854
I don't worry too much about which one is better, I might have enjoyed TTGL more tho. It's been a long ass time

I love the art styles in both a ton.
>>
>>155659754
have look at the attitude of all sidecharacters and the protagonists; i mean at episode 20 or so when they´ve all grown up you can understand what they thinking but before that their characters are more of a huge clusterfuck of childishness (again except for kamina but you know he had to die for character developement)
>>
>>155659754
Not saying that he's not an idiot, but TTGL was objectively made for a young audience. It aired on sunday morning and the intent was explicitly to introduce the new generation to Ishikawa and classic mecha in general.
>>
>>155659073
Plebery is timeless
>>
Eh, GL was more of a straightfoward mecha action show despite some of it's elements while KLK was a straight-up satire of ecchi and edgy tropes.
>>
>>155660227
whats lwa?
>>
Gurren Lagann had a more consistent tone and a better sense of progression. Because the story was essentially a journey from underground to deep space and beyond, the changing scenery automatically gives a sense of progress and novelty which you don't get in a show that is largely set in the same school (which also mirrored the 'constant progess' drill theme of the show).
>>
In my opinion
TTGL:
>better side cast chemistry
>slightly better OST
>better animation
>overall superior story (though both fall apart in second half)
KLK:
>better protagonist and first half antagonist
>better rivalry
>fights were more fun
>Mako is slightly less annoying than Nia
I edge towards TTGL, personally, despite liking KLK's second half way more than TTGL's second half.
>>
>>155660279
>Gurren Lagann had a more consistent tone
People keep saying this but it couldn't be more wrong. TTGL goes from extremely silly at the beginning to dead serious and devoid of any comedy at the end.
KLK on the other hand never has big shifts in tone and keeps the same ratio of comedy and drama through all the shows. Even the final battle is full of jokes.
>>
>>155660329
>TTGL:
>>better side cast chemistry
Come on now, the banter between the Devas literally carries the show. TTGL has nothing as good.
>>
>>155660603
Team Dai-Gurren carried TTGL for me personally. Couldn't care less about the main cast. That's why I put it that high.
Honestly I wish TTGL was more about humanity putting random shit together they salvage and taking on Lord Genome and less about Simon gary stu-ing his way to victory.
>>
KLK is just as good as Gurren Lagann, people are just blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>155659700
Klk was practically a baby show. No one ever died or was ever in any danger of dying, the only stakes are their clothes getting torn.
>>
File: IMG_1171.jpg (103KB, 450x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1171.jpg
103KB, 450x750px
Kill la kill was unfunny garbage in the first half then turned into tryhard garbage in the second half. All in all it's garbage.
>>
>>155647854
Kill La Kill didn't have the main character get Cucked by fate.
>>
>>155661490
the had sex before she died anon
>>
>>155661040
>there is death = mature
How old are you, 12?
>>
>>155661565
Still got cucked on his wedding day.
>>
>>155661625
>cucked
i dont think she was fucked by anyone else
>>
>>155661673
What part of "Cucked by fate" did you miss?
>>
>>155661725
the lack of sex by anyone else is sort of an issue
>>
>>155660227
>satire
Pastiche
>>
>>155661584
Yes, especially if it's not just mindless death that's instantly forgotten and the characters spend a big portion of the show in trying to get over death. Absolutely none of the cast in shit la shit went through any kind of hardship.
>>
>>155661914
>Yes, especially if it's not just mindless death that's instantly forgotten and the characters spend a big portion of the show in trying to get over death.
I'm not going to deny that kamina's death was handled well nor say that klk was a mature show,
but
I think its naive to say death makes a show mature.
>>
File: imaishiend.jpg (149KB, 632x1074px) Image search: [Google]
imaishiend.jpg
149KB, 632x1074px
>>155661490
>MC's soulmate dies for no reason other than because it was fate

No, MC was cucked by fate all the same
>>
>>155662745
>cucked
I dont think you know what that word means. Fuck off normalfag. It doesn't mean fucked like your stupid ass thinks
>>
No because KLK's cast is better.

I enjoyed KLK more overall, actually.
>>
>>155647854
no gurren lagann is superier to KILL LA KILL in every way and KLK is shit with some good scenes !
>>
>>155663247
You would.
>>
>>155661914
>grief is the only kind of hardship to be mature
>a story needs hardships to be mature
You're a special kind of retard, are you?
Especially since overcoming her father's death was a big part of Ryuko's character and both her and Satsuki faced several hardships.
>>
>>155647854
KLK is actually garbage. I always just assumed it was one of those average shows that /a/ hated because it was popular, like SnK or OPM. But, no, it's actually a mess. If it wasn't made by respected figures it would probably develop a cult following as a so-bad-it's-good show. Gurren Lagann is pretty mediocre on it's own but if you can't tell apart the enormous difference in quality between TTGL and KLK than you must have brain damage.
>>
>>155665190
>average shows that /a/ hated because it was popular, like SnK
>it's actually a mess. If it wasn't made by respected figures it would probably develop a cult following as a so-bad-it's-good show
Imagine being this retarded.
>>
>>155665190
KLK is not meant to be taken seriously.
>>
>>155666702

this is some cop out

"we can't judge this series on its merits because the fans said so, so its not shit!"
>>
>>155666702
Of course it is.
>>155667611
Good thing that's not the case then.
>>
>>155666702
Intention and "seriousness" (whatever that means) have nothing to do with it. A show is either shit or it's not. "Shit on purpose" is not an argument.
>>
For one, the Student Council members are referred to as the four devas, ie the Four Heavenly Kings in Buddhism, who are said to be protectors of Lord Sakra, living atop "Mount Sumeru" (the center of the Buddhist universe) which you'll find looks similar to the design of the strange mountain that Honnoji Gakuen sits atop. Mount Sumeru is said to be populated with terraces where different levels of Sakra's followers reside, similar to the star system in the series.
Honnoji Academy is a reference to the Honnoji Incident in 1582, where Nobunaga was betrayed by his general Akechi Mitsuhide at the Honnoji Buddhist temple in Kyoto. This is alluded to when student council member Sanageyama directly quotes Mitsuhide's famous "The enemy awaits at Honnō-ji!" speech. Ragyo = Nobunaga, the daimyo trying to unify Japan (Ragyo trying to take over the world), and Satsuki = Akechi Mitsuhide, the general that betrays her at Honnoji (the same place that Satsuki betrays her mother in the series). This also fits with the idea of the temple sitting atop Mount Sumeru, since Buddhist temples are often architecturally designed to invoke the imagery of Sumeru (you will also find images online that show Honnoji Gakuen, when seen from afar, is designed to look like a Kamui uniform with it's arms in a round circle, relating to the Buddhist meditation position where practitioners bring their hands in a circle in front of them and imagine themselves as Mount Sumeru).
>>
Anonymous
03/31/17(Fri)18:50:28 No.155280303
>>155280258 (You) #
The light seen emanating from Satsuki and Ragyo is a reference to the "rainbow body" phenomen, a state of spiritual realization in Tibetan Buddhism, wherein light is said to emanate from practitioners as they reach higher levels of understanding. In the most advanced state, where one is said to have attained complete knowledge, rainbow colors are seen. Not only does light emanate from Satsuki and Ragyo, but Ragyo also exhibits rainbow colors, and at one point even specifically refers to herself as "one who knows all the truths in this world." You'll also note that during the bath scene with Satsuki (which Ragyo refers to as a "ritual") at the climax of the scene Satsuki's chakra (specific energy points on the body) are very clearly shown as being opened.
The story of Kill la Kill may be a reference to an ancient Tibetan apocalypse mythology, that predicts a war in which foreign invaders will be defeated by a king from a distant land that joins forces with the gods of Mount Sumeru to bring peace and understanding to the world (something to that effect), which is possibly a reference to Ryuko joining forces with Satsuki to defeat the aliens. More generally speaking though, the story I think focuses on Ryuko's personal "path to enlightenment" (i.e., the Way she's not supposed to Lose), and how she's helped by her Kamui (god clothing) to come to an ultimate understanding (or Nirvana) about herself and the nature of her existence, and to be at peace with it. This is most notable in that Ryuko defeats Ragyo at the end of the series, not by destroying her, but by "Absorbing" her with Senketsu. "Absorption" is a state known as jhana (meditative absorption) and is the last of the eightfold paths in Buddhist practice needed for attaining Nirvana.
>>
>>155667951
There are many other possible references, including what looks like a lotus blossom (very important Buddhist symbol) during the Absorption, Senketsu possibly being a Boddhisatva, and a visual nod to Nirvana (snuffing of the flame) in Senketsu's death scene.
The story revolves around Ryuko, who's deeply upset about her father's death, and later about the realization of her true nature/existence as being both clothing and human. But at the end of the series she accepts the nature of her existence and doesn't let it affect her anymore. As a thematic central message, that sort of character progression seems to resonate with Buddhist belief, that the world is filled with suffering born from a lack of understanding/acceptance of the nature of reality and one's self (dukkha), and that peace is achieved from coming to understand and accept that nature, and not allow it to affect one's self (nirvana). While Ryuko at the beginning of the series is confused and angry by the death of her father, at the end of the series she can think back to Senketsu (who also had passed away) and smile knowingly (the fact that her father and Senketsu both share an eyepatch seems to make the parallel all the stronger). Ryuko's "way" was the path to her coming to accept the nature of life and of herself, which is why the Buddhist imagery seems an appropriate a thematic umbrella.
>>
>>155667890
You can do this kind of pretentious bullshit with anything. It adds nothing to the philosophical, artistic, or emotional implications of the show.
>>
>>155668003
>You can do this kind of pretentious bullshit with anything.
You can't.
>It adds nothing to the philosophical, artistic, or emotional implications of the show.
That's like saying that Joyce's Ulysses mirroring the Odyssey add nothing to the novel. How ignorant can you be?
The parallels with Shinto, Buddhism and Meiji era Japan are deliberate and thematically relevant, and add to the depth of the show.
>>
>>155647854
They're two different shows.

KLK is about embracing seemingly contradictory dualities and a more flexible sense of your self (as you are naked and bare)
Digibro put it right when he said that KLK touches on a lot of topics briefly (in service to a larger meta theme) where TTGL really drilled in on a single theme
>>
>>155668518
>Digibro
Kill yourself.
>>
>>155658942
getter robo
>>
>>155668279
>You can't

Clearly you've never visited the humanities department of a modern university.

>Joyce's Ulysses mirroring the Odyssey add nothing to the novel

False equivalence. Ulysses is rife with interesting structural elements that can be used to understand and deconstruct literature as a whole. What you're doing is more like "harry potter contains so much WWII symbolism" which isn't untrue, but adds nothing of interpretive substance except a middleman between the text and its extremely basic racial themes.

>The parallels with Shinto, Buddhism and Meiji era Japan are deliberate

It's impossible to know what the creator(s) is thinking, claiming otherwise is projecting your own interpretation onto them.

>and thematically relevant, and add to the depth of the show

Anything is thematically relevant if you can justify it, which is incredibly easy to do, especially with contemporary art. Whether it adds something is a different matter entirely, imo it's a worthless middleman between the text and its basic human themes. Just talk about how KLK itself supports the philosophical implications of buddhism etc, not about superficial similarities between religious icons and historical events and characters etc in the show.
>>
they're both lowest common denominator cartoon network trash

if you like these shows you don't like anime, you like cartoons
>>
KlK ending was retarded. TTGL ending was merely boring.
>>
>>155668983
>cartoon network trash

Over the Garden Wall blows 99% of anime out of the water.

But you're right, people who like shit like Imaishi and Watanabe generally are shitters who have little interest in anime.
>>
>>155669067
i would put watanabe above Trigger niggers
>>
>>155669149
Me too, but the point still stands
>>
>>155668845
>It's impossible to know what the creator(s) is thinking, claiming otherwise is projecting your own interpretation onto them.
No, they're deliberate beyond reasonable doubt.
>Anything is thematically relevant if you can justify it, which is incredibly easy to do, especially with contemporary art.
A cop out on your part. We might as well stop analyzing fiction entirely if you want to put it that way.
>Whether it adds something is a different matter entirely, imo it's a worthless middleman between the text and its basic human themes. Just talk about how KLK itself supports the philosophical implications of buddhism etc, not about superficial similarities between religious icons and historical events and characters etc in the show.
KLK is fundamentally a satirical show about Japanese mentality and society, claiming its take on State Shinto is a "worthless middleman" feels like misunderstanding the show.
>>
>>155669341
>No, they're deliberate beyond reasonable doubt

Again, it's impossible to know what the artist is thinking. Therefore to say it's deliberate is projecting, not to mention pretty meaningless. What you're thinking of "deliberate" as is more like "supported by evidence"

>We might as well stop analyzing fiction entirely if you want to put it that way.

I'm not sure how you extracted that from what I said. Just because art can be interpreted in infinite ways doesn't mean it's worthless to interpret it.

>KLK is fundamentally a satirical show about Japanese mentality and society

That's cool, talk about how the show directly connects to that then. Personally I think comparing art to topical socio-political themes is the lowest form of analysis, but whatever. The point I'm making is that you don't need to bring up real historical events and icons and shit to do that. Again, to bring up Harry Potter, it's not necessary to explain how the Death Eaters are like Nazis to explain how the books tackle 20th century racial supremacism
>>
completely different shows, to compare them would do the other injustice. GL gets buffed because yoko is hot and KLK gets buffed because tons of the characters are hot/ provocative in nature. GL touched more on an emotional aspect than KLK so i personally feel like it was superior however both these anime are made to sit back, relax and enjoy not the whole " let's think deeply about the hidden troupes they're trying to portray!" Either way if u guys want some real anime Shinsekai Yori is where its at. overall I really enjoyed GL and KLK but GL's 2nd half was by far superior while KLK's pacing was much MUCH more enjoyable than the snooze fest that is GL up until episode 16
>>
File: giphy.gif (838KB, 350x256px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
838KB, 350x256px
>>155669849
especially because the reason people like anime IN GENERAL especially anime like KLK FLCL and GL are because the plots are visually incredible. Anime succeeds with visuals more commonly than with plot, rarely does an anime come out that's striking both visually and emotionally; even more rare is animu combined with a nicely paced story, conclusive ending and fleshed out characters that have their faults but are also easy to understand and ultimately "root" for. The reasoning is because its just fun, and what's wrong with that. Both of these shows are developed with this "easy and childish fun" mindset and shouldn't really be compared
>>
>>155650961
>TTGL focuses on the development on one character,
Simon, Rossiu, and Viral all have character development
>>
>>155647854
The world needs more anime girls in tight hotpants.
>>
>>155651841
There is nothing wrong with a tone shift, an example of a good tone shift could be Trigun or HxH
>>
>>155647854
TTGL was undoubtedly more enjoyable than KLK, both are cool though
>>
The beginning KLK was much better than Gurren Lagann, which itself was a great show, but then it went to complete shit.
>>
>>155670369
Neither Rossiu nor Viral receive attention and development comparable to Satsuki or even Senketsu.
>>
>>155670585
>but then it went to complete shit
Aside from the unfortunate drop in animation quality in the last arc, it didn't.
>>
>>155669797
>Again, it's impossible to know what the artist is thinking. Therefore to say it's deliberate is projecting, not to mention pretty meaningless. What you're thinking of "deliberate" as is more like "supported by evidence"
So we're arguing semantics.
>I'm not sure how you extracted that from what I said. Just because art can be interpreted in infinite ways doesn't mean it's worthless to interpret it.
Why even specify that everything can be thematically relevant then (which I fundamentally disagree with anyway)? Explain why it is or isn't for you or don't say anything.
>That's cool, talk about how the show directly connects to that then. Personally I think comparing art to topical socio-political themes is the lowest form of analysis, but whatever. The point I'm making is that you don't need to bring up real historical events and icons and shit to do that. Again, to bring up Harry Potter, it's not necessary to explain how the Death Eaters are like Nazis to explain how the books tackle 20th century racial supremacism
You keep bringing up Harry Potter but at this point it should be clear that it's not an appropriate comparison. Replicating the era that saw the institutionalization of Japanese spirit and collectivism within the microcosm of the modern high school system is a precise political statement.
>>
>>155665039
Ryuko only spent the first episode dealing with her father's death, it's forgotten about quickly after that. And the worst Satsuki ever had it was the pointless scene where she gets fucked by her mom, which was played up more for fan service and not character growth.

All of the characters were jokes in klk, it was so empty.
>>
>>155671362
>So we're arguing semantics.

No we're not, you're making a flat out incorrect statement by saying it's deliberate. I'm saying that how you should think of it is whether or not a particular interpretation is supported by evidence, not whether or not the artist did it deliberately.

>Why even specify that everything can be thematically relevant then

That's what I'm saying. It's pointless to specify whether or not something is thematically relevant, you wouldn't even think to bring it up if it wasn't

>it's not an appropriate comparison

Replicating the era that saw the rise and fall of fascism and racial supremacism in Europe within the microcosm of the modern high school system is a precise political statement.
>>
>>155647854
>No Satsuki
>no Romi Park

Nah, it's not, thanks for playing though.
>>
>>155667890
>>155667951
>>155667994
Listen I like Dunbar's panels too but he's not trying to say that those were definite and full influences, just that they work as parallels. He even said the creators thought he was weird at first for suggesting the show was all that deep, but did like what he was doing once he explained he was just using the show to introduce Japanese concepts for a western anime fans.

The Honnouji academy being a reference to Honnouji temple is without a doubt deliberate, I admit, but the rest is likely not intentional.
>>
>>155671612
>Ryuko only spent the first episode dealing with her father's death, it's forgotten about quickly after that.
Is that why her motivation in the first half of the series is finding his killer, not strictly to avenge him but to know him better, or why episode 8 focuses entirely on Ryuko opening up to Mako, explaining her the troubled relationship she had with her father and how that influenced her personality, or why in episode 11 she loses herself at the sight of his killer, and the following 7 episodes are about overcoming grief and finding a new motivation to fight and finding out the truth about his legacy, and thanks to that being able to calmly confront his killer in episode 18?
>And the worst Satsuki ever had it was the pointless scene where she gets fucked by her mom, which was played up more for fan service and not character growth.
Yes, her upbring and all the hardships she had to face were completely irrelevant. That's why once she achieved her objective and she's left alone without her drive for revenge she's straight up suicidal.
Try watching the show, kid.
>>
>>155671682
>Replicating the era that saw the rise and fall of fascism and racial supremacism in Europe within the microcosm of the modern high school system is a precise political statement.
"Replicating" doesn't describe the extremely loose parallels between the two, "taking some inspiration" is more fit to describe what Harry Potter does. And I frankly don't think the high school setting, or even British setting matters to the point HP was trying to make.
But I'm not really interested in discussing HP so I'd stop it here.
>>
>>155672085
Most of those influences seem undeniable.
Don't underestimate japanese modesty.
>>
>>155647854
I don't care which is better. I just hope more studios have the ability and resource to make more crazy stuff like these two.
>>
>>155673515
>ability and resource

Huh, that's exactly what KLK lacks though.
>>
File: sad akko.png (666KB, 872x653px) Image search: [Google]
sad akko.png
666KB, 872x653px
>>155673649
you're mean
>>
TTGL is better, but I actually think KLK's main flaw was the studio's lack of resources. I definitely like KLK's characters better; I think almost everyone was memorable in KLK while in TTGL only Simon, Viral, Kamina and Kittan were memorable. Both Nia and Yoko were really bland, KLK's female characters are all much better in general.
>>
>>155651025
GL's ending was really, really bad, mate. Soured the whole experience and even the writer said he messed up with it and would like to redo it.
>>
>>155673957
Thinking back about it I suspect the problem was that a studio they intended to outsource a couple of the second cour's episodes to bailed on them.
The first cour has some episodes outsourced in the middle and the rest look good, then second cour is solid until episode 18, then it crumbles with 2 awful episodes clearly put together with haste, and even if the final episodes mostly look fine there are clearly missing cuts of animation here and there.
>>
>>155673649
which part do you mean?
>>
If you actually think KLK is as good as TTGL or even better you might need a cure for retardation

Same goes if you think TTGL part 1 > part 2
>>
>>155660688
>only two interesting characters in dai-gurren
>one dies about 5 episodes in and the other just has big tits
>>
>>155674392
Episodes 1-24.
>>
>>155657505
Time Skip Simon > Time Skip Ryuko
Pre TS Simon > Pre TS Ryuko
Kamina >>>>>>>>>>>> Mako
Senketsu > Nia
Devas > Heavenly Kings
Lord Genome >>>> Nui
Anti Spiral = Ragyo
Rossiu > Tsumugu
Leeron > Aikuro
Takarada > Kittan (I don't even get this comparison though, they're entirely different characters)
>>
File: 1482132583520.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1482132583520.gif
2MB, 500x375px
>>155668518
>Digibro
It's like you wanted everyone to completely disregard your post or something
>>
>>155676445
>Time Skip Simon > Time Skip Ryuko
>Pre TS Simon > Pre TS Ryuko
Ryuko doesn't change so dramatically to be considered a different character.
And beside that she's overall so much better characterized than Simon that the comparison is almost superfluous.
>>
>>155675640
KLK is objectively superior.
>>
>>155677295
>And beside that she's overall so much better characterized than Simon
That's a joke, right? Ryuko is a silly short-tempered delinquent who befriends a piece of cloth and can star in Fairy Tail. Simon is that kid who grows into a man, and then into THE man, representing humanity itself.

>>155677396
Literally nothing makes sense in KlK. It's all superficial "lol clothes and aliens" shit. It doesn't have anything to say at all. The characters are all comical reliefs. It's not even a good story.
>>
>>155677454
Ryuko is a girl that as a result of being neglected and abandoned by her father had to put up an aggressive persona despite being a sweet and kind girl. That resulted into a difficulty to socialize, a longing for the love of a family and a general dislike of authority.
Her character arc consists primarily in learning how to open up and coexists with other, first with a being that seems alien at first but it's later revealed to be the same as her and a surrogate sister and family, then even with those people that she disliked and fought at first. Other than that her developments consists on learning about herself, accepting it and choosing her own path. The beauty about her character on top of that is that she feels like a real person, with dozens of little quirks and mannerisms.
The problem with Simon on the other hand is that he's written only in function of his development from zero to hero. There's nothing to his character aside from that, especially after time skip he's completely dull.
>Literally nothing makes sense in KlK. It's all superficial "lol clothes and aliens" shit. It doesn't have anything to say at all
Damn you're dumb. A child could pick up what KLK is about.
>>
>>155678693
>Ryuko is a girl that as a result of being neglected and abandoned by her father had to put up an aggressive persona despite being a sweet and kind girl.
we never saw that except for 3 pictures where she beats up people
stating something doesn't make it good

the neglect and abandon doesn't fit any other narrative than "clothes"

>Her character arc consists primarily in learning how to open up and coexists with other, first with a being that seems alien at first but it's later revealed to be the same as her and a surrogate sister and family, then even with those people that she disliked and fought at first.
wow now she can stand being around people who don't want her any harm and she can talk to them without trying to kill them (which she never did in the first place anyway)
That's not development that's literally the minimum for a character to exist

>Other than that her developments consists on learning about herself, accepting it and choosing her own path.
This is all abstract shit. What path did she choose? She beat up clothes junkies. She didn't make significant choices or anything.

>The beauty about her character on top of that is that she feels like a real person, with dozens of little quirks and mannerisms.
Maybe an autistic person.

Simon's struggle actually MEANS something. It's not about beating up this Saturday morning cartoon villain, but about humanity, the will to push forward and knowing when to stop, taking losses, accepting them and rising to the challenge. TTGL characters are actually building up something instead of just being funny and quirky because le weird anime :^)
>>
>>155679231
>we never saw that except for 3 pictures where she beats up people
>stating something doesn't make it good
No, you clearly saw her acting aggressive to almost everyone at first and defiant of authority, but being sweet and caring with people she grew to open up with. Don't act retarded.
>the neglect and abandon doesn't fit any other narrative than "clothes"
???
>wow now she can stand being around people who don't want her any harm and she can talk to them without trying to kill them (which she never did in the first place anyway)
>That's not development that's literally the minimum for a character to exist
Again acting retarded. Her past caused her troubles socializing, it takes her near death experiences in episodes 5 and 7 to open up with Senketsu and Mako, not to mention Satsuki. But pretend not to know what development means.
>This is all abstract shit.
No, it's actual plot points of the show. Ryuko literally learns about herself, literally thinks her identity and free will were taken away from her, literally in the endbmanages to choose against that thanks to Mako and Senketsu. "Severing the threads of fate" is mentioned a million times and it's the one of the main point of the show , both for Ryuko and Satsuki. You should try watching the show.
>Maybe an autistic person.
What a sad retort.
>Simon's struggle actually MEANS something. It's not about beating up this Saturday morning cartoon villain, but about humanity, the will to push forward and knowing when to stop, taking losses, accepting them and rising to the challenge. TTGL characters are actually building up something instead of just being funny and quirky because le weird anime :^)
Nice shitpost. You aren't actually this stupid right, you know what the clothes symbolize?
>>
>>155647854
No, because KLK has better music and girls/supporting cast

Pretty much right though
>>
>>155647854
Yes
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.