[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kimi no na wa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 552
Thread images: 56

File: Uqw37Sk.jpg (798KB, 2727x4090px) Image search: [Google]
Uqw37Sk.jpg
798KB, 2727x4090px
Did it make your personal top 10? How were the weebs at your local cinema?
>>
Just came home from this and was hoping there'd be a discussion thread on it. I absolutely loved it. The theater was unsurprisingly virtually empty. No "weeb" sightings.

All those near misses where the two are trying to get together had me so stressed out. I just wanted them to see each other! I haven't been this invested in a romance in a very long time. 10/10 definitely buying the Blue Ray when it comes out.

The worst thing was the previews of all the kids movies before the movie that played at AMC. Despicable Me 3, Lego NInjago Movie, My Little Pony, and so on.
>>
>>155637932
They laughed at every mediocre joke.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this thread is for Canucks who went to see the 5:20 showings.

It was alright, but I liked other Shinkai movies better. The beginning was awkward, and they had trouble setting the plot up, and I don't like how they just skip over exactly how Mitsushi convinced her dad to hold the emergency drill.
>>
>>155638166
>The worst thing was the previews of all the kids movies
fuck I almost forgot about that. I feel sorry for kids growing up with those films, such cynical commercial shite
>>
>>155637932
Maybe it is at my personal top 10, but I don't really think it is the best anime movie ever. I actually likes Haruhi movie even more than this.
>>
Saw it last night. The crowd was fine, not too many weebs, probably because Kawaiicon is this weekend. The laughter was pretty subdued, which suited me fine.
>>
Toronto viewing was good, went to a bar with anons after the movie.
>>
>>155638166
>>155638281
>kids movies
All the ads at Queensway were for obscure shit like Disney's new animal documentary, and some other history and arts shit
>>
>tfw I missed the screenings in my country
>>
It has a bunch of showings in Seattle, through next week. I think I'll try and catch one tomorrow night
>>
>>155638281
More importantly those movies being previewed are aimed at the 10 and under crowd which is not the same audience that's going to be seeing Your Name. A kid would be bored out of their mind watching this.
>>
>your name 320 billion
>Frozen 1.29 trillion
Frozen was better
>>
Meant to put the song in the OP. It's so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYl2Bc8yAnc
>>
It made my top 10 in films, but not anime overall. It's an 8/10 fun ride type of movie.

Watched the dub and enjoyed it as much as the sub. The English versions of the RADWIMPS songs sounded weird, but I think that's cause I'm used to the Japanese versions. I regret watching the 480p rip from earlier this year cause it's one of those movies made for the theatrical experience.

Went to an early bird showing with some friends. No weebs. Most audience members were in their mid 20's and there were a few older couples.

Thanks for reading. Make sure to like, comment, and subscribe for more overviews by me.
>>
>>155638555
You couldn't even find any of the actual Radwimps songs on YT? You had to use kimchi covers?
>>
>>155638779
hey friend, why not post your favorite song/version instead of bashing someone else for doing so for no reason?
>>
>>155638166
>The worst thing was the previews of all the kids movies before the movie that played at AMC. Despicable Me 3, Lego NInjago Movie, My Little Pony, and so on.

At my theater, a ton of the weebs in the audience started clapping and getting all loud during the My Little Pony trailer. Was real disgusting.
>>
>>155638736
8/10 overview, light on impressions of movie content but was generally friendly, responded to op, and didn't shitpost
>>
Just got back from a screening too. Really enjoyed it. It kind of teases the audience the entire way through so you stay at the edge of your seat and gives you a pretty nice payoff in the end.

Just one question. How come neither of them noticed the year was wrong? The dates should not have matched up with their days in their current time.
>>
Hey /a/, could I please get your name
>>
I saw it today, and it was as enjoyable as the first time I watched it not too long ago. I went with 3 friends, 2 of which hadn't seen it yet, they both really enjoyed it. There wasn't a lot of people at the theater I went to, and of the people there I didn't see any weebs. Overall, nice to watch again
>>
>>155637932
>top ten
Yeah, it was awesome. I actually hsd to take a moment after it ended to think about my life a little bit

Unfortunately, funination's shitty subs put a damper on the experience

Only 15-20 people at the showing, all filthy weebs
>>
I was seated next to some woman who was complaining the whole time about the film not making any sense. How can someone be so fucking retarded as to not understand shit that they fucking explain to you?
>>
>>155638986
Because then the story wouldn't work?

My headcanon is that the same magic that made them forget each other's names literally 10 seconds after meeting face to face across time for the first time also made them go fuzzy about dates and addresses.
>>
>>155637932
It was a really good movie but I don't think it's top 10 material for me, maybe top 30. I preferred 5 cm/s desu. There were like 10 people at my afternoon showing, didn't seem that weeby. There were audible gasps right before the comet hit.
>>
>>155637932
Just a bunch of lonely people at mine. including myself ;_;
>>
>>155638986
the simplest reason is that they were dreaming and therefore couldn't notice or remember certain details. Same reason they eventually forgot each other almost completely Some people in a previous thread didn't like that and tried to come up with alternatives but it seemed convoluted.
>>
>>155639115
Lol, same
One of them was coming from me
>>
>>155638986
>>155639102
There are all types of reasons it's a plot hole, but yeah you kind of have to accept it if you want to enjoy the sweet, sweet melodrama

After all, Mitsuha at the beginning not only forgot that she spent the whole day in someone else's body, but also didn't realize that she had absolutely no memory of the day at all. Body switching fucks ya up
>>
>>155639091
Let's be real here, Kimi no Na wa is a pretty hard movie to follow. I only fully understood it my 3rd viewing.
>>
>>155639357
No, you're just dense
>>
File: 1486588458288.jpg (96KB, 850x894px) Image search: [Google]
1486588458288.jpg
96KB, 850x894px
>>155638736
I avoided the rips, and went for the dub today. I was wondering in the songs were originally in English.

So glad Philly actually got an animu movie release for once.
>>
>>155639357
I'm just gonna assume this is bait
>>
>>155639357
Are you the woman who was next to me?
>>
>>155637932
I think this movie worked well for me because of the countless times shinkai has blue balled me. Even if what happens in the end doesn't necessarily sprout into a relationship at least they fucking interacted in the end
>>
>>155639429
Maybe. I did talk a little during the movie, and I am a girl.
>>
>>155639489
North Canton?
>>
>>155639475
>implying the ending to 5 cm/s isn't one of the best endings to an anime
>>
why is this movie universally overrated
predictable, average plot 4/10 I got more out of M.D. Geist than this
>>
>>155637932
How to I go to this without feeling like a faggot when I ask to but the ticket?
>>
>>155639590
Buy the ticket online
>>
>>155639590
no online option?
>>
>going to the normieplex to watch this
I want to see it ffs
WHERE'S MY HOME VIDEO RELEASE REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>155638166
Kek. We had a bunch of trailers for fucking TED talks, English theatre, and Rennaisance paintings.
>>
>>155639573
Because millions of people share an opinion that isn't yours.
>>
>>155639590
>"One for Your Name, please."
It's that easy.
>>
>>155639590
I had this same problem too. I felt super insecure and nervous about actually buying the ticket from someone. I just wore sunglasses to kind of hide my face and eyes.
>>
>>155639618
it's worth seeing on a big screen anon
>>
>>155639546
it was a good ending, but man did I want it to end well for the characters
>>
File: tumblr_memgor4CpY1ql5ruko5_500.gif (983KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_memgor4CpY1ql5ruko5_500.gif
983KB, 500x281px
>>155638492
worth is judged in more than dollars and yen
>>
>>155639573
This is definitely a theater movie, anon, it's miles better when the art is on the big screen and the soundtrack roars around you.
That's if you legitimately think the movie's bad, if you're just baiting then congrats my jimmies are rustled
>>
>>155639669
Screenings ended in my area in January so that ship has sailed
>>
I'm just glad I literally avoided every thread about it so I could enjoy the movie to its fullest. It really took me me through twists and turns. It was fun to watch something and actually be surprised about where the plot was going.
>>
Not top 10, but it's good.

>>155639357
Seeing you're retarded enough to inform strangers how much of a retard you are I believe you.
>>
i just came home from watching it i saw it in dub and sub surprisingly in the sub there were only like 10 people including me and the dub had at most 13 including me too. I think the movie was great.
>>
>>155639610
>>155639611
No it's a really small ass theater about 30 mins away from me, I can't buy it online

>>155639667
>I wore sunglasses
Damn
>>
>>155639049
>funination's shitty subs

everytime the subs translated the little sister saying "onee-chan" as "mitsuha" it irritated me.

probably shouldn't have but it detracted from my experience
>>
>>155639796
At least you're not sunglasses guy anon. Go buy the ticket. You'll forget about all about it within the first 60 seconds of the movie starting.

but then when you leave everyone will be able to tell you were crying
>>
>>155637932
After all that hubbub on /a/ about the Oscar snub, Zootopia turned out to be the better movie after all.

I still really enjoyed it though, 7.5/10.
>>
I'll just paste my ratings from the last thread.
Saw it yesterday.
9.75/10 visuals (Akira's gotta keep its podium). I especially loved the landscapes and the wonderfully realistic crater-lakes. I could recognize them for what they were right away. The cityscapes of Tokyo were also incredible, more beautiful than reality to be honest. And the tripping sequence after he drank the saké was absolutely stunning.
8/10 character designs. They were solid, unique, didn't really on lazy tricks to differentiate the characters, and mostly charming. I appreciated that the pupils weren't perfect ellipses for some reason, not sure why but it was a good decision.
7/10 soundtrack. I see what they were going for, it worked well enough, and I'm sure lots of people loved it, but most songs left me indifferent, I just don't really like the kind of songs that were used here. The ambient tracks were fitting, but not outstanding.
5.5/10 pacing/plot. Now, this looks like an harsh rating, but I consider the average score for anime to be 5/10. So it's still a bit above average. But anime tends to have pretty bad plots... It just feels like there are too many things that are glossed over. Taki never hears the name of the village? He never sees a calendar? How does she convince the mayor? I feel like they skipped this part because they didn't see a way to write it in a believable way.
Also, there are pacing issues. Coming out of the theater I thought the movie had lasted 3 hours. There are parts where the movie kind of lost me in the later half of the movie. The earlier parts were more solid imo.
All in all 8.4/10, a great movie and an awesome experience. The visuals, characters and humor make this a really fun experience. Definitely undeserving of the #1 spot on MAL though.
>>
>>155639660
buy two tickets.. one for you and one for your friend who couldn't make it
>>
>>155639916
nobody cares about your autismal ratings
>>
>>155638986
They never actually switched bodies, it was all just a dream. That's why the townpeople survived because of a drill, not an evacuation. Mitsuha and Taki just had complimentary dreams because they both felt something was missing in their lives. Taki a wistfulness for the peaceful countryside and Mitsuha a longing for an exciting Tokyo life. This should be obvious because things like switching bodies and time travel are impossible and just occult stories. The real theme of the film is about love at first sight: meeting someone who they realized fulfill that longingness
>>
>>155639966
Well don't give me a (You) then, you're just encouraging me.
>>
>>155637932
I fucking gasped and was almost at tears when Mitsuha disappeared while starting to write her name on Taki, and then this dude in the back of the theater faintly said "That sucks" and everyone started cracking up. One of the times where I don't mind some commentary from the audience.
>>
Had to buy the soundtrack the moment I got home. Loved it.
>>
>>155639916
Your Name looks great, but Akira towers over this movie on a technical level. I don't even think it's close. Closest thing would be Redline.
>>
>>155639796
I'll tell you the same thing I tell my LARPer friends. If you act like your hobby/interests are something you're ashamed of then people will notice and be ashamed of you for liking them. Treat it like it's a normal thing and people will pick up on that vibe.

>"Hey anon! Got any plans for this weekend?"
"Yea. I'm going LARPing on Friday and Saturday."
>"Cool. Have fun. See you on Monday."

>"Hello sir/madam. What movie are you here to see."
"One ticket for Your Name at 7:40, please."
>"That'll be $12. Here's your ticket. Enjoy the show!"
>>
>>155639991
thats beautiful anon
>>
>>155637932
Pretty good experience
>only about 10-15 people
>crowd wasn't obnoxious
>cute yotsuha made everyone laugh
>obvious frustration when they crossed each other with the umbrella, and the scene where they just walked past each other at the stairs; looked like another shinkai cock block ending
>people sniffing up at the end
>only 2 retards clapped

Definitely going to rewatch it when the BD comes out, shame it won't be the same as the theatrical experience though.

Top 10, I'm not sure yet. Still have a lingering sadness that it's finally over. Literally waited almost a year to watch it.
>>
>>155640023
I fucking lost it when she disappeared and the music just hard cut-out. I was on the verge of tears for so many scenes.
>>
That first opening segment that was essentially the OP for the movie was amazing. And that sequence after Taki drank the sake and slipped was so beautiful.
>>
I don't know about my top ten but I definitely enjoyed the movie. It was beautiful and the story was interesting. The theater experience as far as people was good too but the theater itself was extremely uncomfortable.
>>
>>155639638
Sup Queensway?
>>
File: 1476577720566.png (142KB, 550x673px) Image search: [Google]
1476577720566.png
142KB, 550x673px
I liked it a lot but it's nothing special in terms of plot or characters. It's all pretty stock, elevated by really good presentation and pacing.

Absolutely not one of the best anime movies of all time. "A boy and a girl switch bodies and the first thing the boy does is grab the girl's boobs" is not something that happens in any movie that really gives and kind of a fuck about being original.
But it was good, I enjoyed it a lot and I'm glad it's doing well, hopefully we get more big screen anime releases in the west after this.
>>
File: 1469386546377.png (83KB, 188x302px) Image search: [Google]
1469386546377.png
83KB, 188x302px
>あの 俺 君を 何処か で
>私も

>君の名前は

mfw
>>
>>155640427
Stop making me cry
>>
Is it dubbed or subbed?
>>
The Friday night Cincinnati showing was nearly full of 20-somethings, couples, and smatterings of old people. Generally well behaved.

Why are some anons reporting empty theaters while others are packed? What's the reasons?
>>
>>155640513
depends on your theater
>>
>>155640513
subbed
>>
>>155640501
Yeah, I'm glad the "they live each other's daily lives" thing was such a minor part of the movie.
I wish the ending had been tragic though.
>>
>>155640540
Regional differences. A theater on the west coast is going to be full of 20 somethings and a theater somewhere in the south is gonna be emptier.
>>
>>155640513
If your theater sucks they might only have the dub. Mine did the peak showtimes dubbed and the others subbed. Call ahead if they don't specify on the website.
>>
>>155640596
>>155640596
Fuck you I would have rioted if there wasn't a happy ending.
>>
>>155640596
>tragic
Are we talking Shakespeare-tier tragic or your-average-Shinkai-ending tragic?
>>
>>155640596
Well a shitload of people got injured.
>>
>>155640463
it's okay anon, it helps that we will never experience a relationship like this in our lifetime
>>
The movie was a 2/10 with the whole cant remember the names shit being retarded. The animation was good but the story was a fucking mess. The ending being worse. Do not recommend.
>>
>>155640072
I feel like we just won't ever see a film with as much blood and sweat poured into it as Akira. Redline quite a few years and was basically a passion project. Imo we /a/utists tend to glaze over the effects modern anime-making allow such as the insane stereoscoping we saw in Your name, or this comet, or even just the great tilt-shifting effect that was used a few times.

Akira had better hand-drawn animation, but then again, You Name doesn't really need this level of frame-by-frame animation, since it's not such an actiony anime.

I still think Akira is the overrall king of visuals, but instead of "towers" I'd say "10 floor apartment buildings".
>>
>>155640540
I went at 4 in the afternoon on a Friday. Not the ideal time for normalfag moviegoers.
>>
>>155640540
I saw it in San Diego last night and the audience comprised 10-15 people in their late teens and early twenties, while the previous showing seemed much larger and more diverse. An old guy in that group wanted a refund afterward because he didn't realize it was subtitled.
>>
>>155640596
i was surprised it was as short as it was, honestly. it's about the first 40 minutes of the movie. maybe the 2nd and 3rd acts just felt really quick to me
>>
Haven't seen it, sub or dub? I don't want to watch it twice because I have no faith in Shinkai after 5cm/s was really bad.
>>
>>155640740
Hmm I used the word stereoscoping but I was thinking of the effect when the "camera" pans around the crater and this kind of stuff, I don't remember how it's called.
>>
>>155639916
Where do I subscribe dumb faggot?
>>
Just going to download the blu ray because I'm not going to drive 4 hours to support funimation
>>
>>155637932
For movies, yeah.

It's a decent 8/10 for a movie as-it-is. But if you're following Makoto Shinai's works then it's a huge treat. It was so beautiful that it made me cry a bit; not because Shinkai ripped my heart out and fed it to the dogs, but because he made an actual satisfying ending for once.
>>
>>155640813
They recognize each other at the end this time
>>
>>155640954
is this an actual spoiler because i have the same question as him
>>
>>155640740
Yeah you're probably right. I have nothing against digital anime or modern techniques, in fact Redline is probably one the most beautiful looking movies I've ever seen. I think Spirited Away looks better than all of Ghibli's cel-shaded movies.

It's just, it's fucking Akira man.
>>
>>155640996
yes it's a spoiler with no answer
I haven't seen both but the sub isn't awful, can't go wrong with it imo
>>
>>155640813
If the dub isn't by Disney or Aniplex, just go sub.
>>
>>155640427
>not 君の名は
Shit movie Spirited Away was better.
>>
>>155639991
But that's not even remotely true. How do you explain the reactions of their friends and family?
>>
>>155640695
she still died tragic
>>
>>155637932
>Did it make your personal top 10?
no but it's good
>>
File: bra.png (938KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
bra.png
938KB, 1280x1440px
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>155639916
>5.5/10 pacing/plot. Now, this looks like an harsh rating, but I consider the average score for anime to be 5/10. So it's still a bit above average.
i love cringe blog posts , genuinely get laughs from me
>>
>>155640908
But I'm a fan of his work and even I can tell the story and the theme this time were meh at best. At least 5cm per sec gets you thinking about the speed of living each person's life and how it affects the MC.
>>
>>155640813
>>155640996
There's a single joke that doesn't work in the dub. Also, it's not really a spoiler once you've seen the first 1:30 of the movie.

>>155640997
Akira was just so fucking influential for animation, it's like nothing else can touch it. The king and his throne.

>>155641098
Tbh the first time the meteor strikes I kinda expected the movie to end. That would have been pretty fucking ballsy.
>>
>>155637932
Was it supposed to be subbed? When I went I assumed it was gonna be the dub because their were so many screenings and people in the theater were thinking it was gonna be dubbed too.

Also the subs were so low the g's and p's and what not were getting cut off at the bottom of the screen and the subs were so jaggy. Can't they do better than that for official subs? I also cringed at the I[watashi], I[watakushi], I[boku], I[ore] part. A TN note would've been nice for not-weebs.
>>
>>155641048
aniplex dubs are horrible, though not as bad as sentai dubs
>>
>>155637932
I really enjoyed it. My previews were all for foreign language artsy films, and most of the audience were actual nips speaking nip.

Best scene was when Taki!Mitsuha was planning the bombing with Tessie and Aoi Yuuki was scared of them.
>>
>>155641162
Didn't even notice, kek

Also
>tfw you see him applying for a job in architecture, and suddenly the poster in his house and his drawing skills make sense
>>
>>155641423
There was a note explaining the differences between the articles in the subs I saw.
>>
>>155640890
>drive 4 hours

When I google showtimes for this movie I get 13 theaters. What third world country do you live in?
>>
>>155641483
Maybe I didn't see it because the scene went by fairly quickly and my eyes were stuck looking at the very bottom of the screen trying to read the subs.
>>
>>155641423
Eh, the scene went by too quick for a tl note to be useful

But yes, the subs were shit

>for her saké
>>
>>155641423
I guess some theaters are dumb and can't tell which one they're showing. For me the subs were too pixelated to be taken seriously as a professional film rendering, but while they weren't exactly in the ideal position they weren't getting cut off or anything. Maybe the projector was angled too low.
>>
>>155641550
i used to make that joke. the first time i ever had saké i went around telling people
>"i just had saké"
>"how was it?"
>"it was for goodness saké"
>>
>>155641550
Yeah that too. I would've figured official shit for theaters would be of slightly higher quality these days.
>>
>>155640695
>>155641098
It definitely would have been better if she'd died. A sort of Donnie Darko thing, where the memory of her helps him continue with his life even if he can't fully remember her.

I was really hoping the girl at the end was gonna be Yotsuha wearing her sister's ribbon.
>>
>>155641652
it was if you saw the dub
>>
I thought /a/ hated this movie
>>
>>155641162
She started wearing bra and less revealing clothing to bed once she realized that body swapping was actually happening.
>>
>>155640740
While Akira was spectacular for it's time, Your Name is strictly better side by side. The improvement of the tools and technology is as much a part of art as the artist. From vivid blue paints (rare back then) to cameras, film, color film and CGI, technology does not just make things easier, it enables new ways of human expression. The detailed layering of foliage, tasteful blurs, heat waves, and glows are something not possible without digital animation. You simply cannot attain this kind of contrast in colors by filtering light with paint. We have never before seen this kind of vivid art and lighting in traditional animation. While Akira is a masterpiece and we should respect its place in history: art, technology, and the ways we express ourselves have and will continue to move forward to even greater works.
>>
>>155641691
Lol he still gotta change into her other clothes though.
>>
>>155641423
It was so beautiful seeing the subs trying to stumble their way through that section.
>>
>>155637932
i didn't watch it in cinemas so didn't have ti deal with any people, and i watched it 3 times so far and it is easily my favourite anime movie, maybe even movie out right, second probably being a silent voice, which i saw yesterday with a friend, but im that kind of faggot that cried to it (everytime)
>>
>>155641691
Well fuck, that kinda makes sense. Gotta stay one step ahead.
>>
First half of the movie was really good. Kinda dropped off at the second half. I thought it would be perfect if it just ended after he finds out she died.

Also did they never look at the dates on their phones when they switched bodies?
>>
>>155641679
Everyone loved it, then hated it after a while.

Then the 720p rip came out and everyone love it, then we hated it for a while.

Now the casuals (90% of /a/ it seems) have seen it and we love it again. We will hate it around july until the bluray comes out in october, and then we will love it.
>>
>>155641818
do you see dates while you dream?
>>
>>155641822
This is actually true.
>>
>>155641863
Do they not write the current year in their classroom
>>
>>155641822
>casuals
/a/ is definitely kill It was a bad decision to visit this place again
>>
>>155641888
yeah, in romantic dreams
>>
>>155641888
I see darkness.
>>
>>155641790
fwiw I think it's worth the trip to the cinema. This was my first time in ~2 years and I'm glad I did it. The visuals look so much better than that crappy screener and that's like half of what makes it so good.
>>
>>155641922
You have to go back
>>
>>155641888
Do you write coherent diary entries while you dream? Because they did.
>>
>>155641822
Initial hype. They'll realize it was bad after a while.
>>
>>155641949
>You have to go back
Back to where you dumb redditor?
>>
>>155641969
REEEEE THIS MOVIE IS PERFECT STOP IT NOWWWWWWWWW
>>
>>155639489
whats your name?
>>
>>155640247
Richmond Hill actually

>>155641089
Teenagers finding themselves, struggling with their gender identity, and experimenting with new personas.
>>
>>155641550
I'd do a lot of things for her saké.
>>
>>155641733
I overall agree with you. I couldn't say something like "Strictly better" with so much confidence though. It's easy to say Your Name or Akira or other movies in those leagues are better than the run-of-the-mill seasonal stuff, but once you get to this level of animation I think it's tough to tell. It's pretty much impossible to completely dissociate subjectivity from the appreciation of the visuals of a film.

Your Name does indeed exploit modern techniques tremendously well though.

>>155641969
While you're dreaming, everything you do seems coherent, it's only when you wake up that you realize stuff doesn't make sense (How did I convince my father? How did I never hear the name of the village).

I'm liking this "Its all a dreem" theory, tempted to make it my head canon.
>>
>>155641938
oh fuck yes i agree, but the closest place was a 2 hour train ride (not american) and by the time the second screening came around (it was still the 2 hour trip) i had already seen it twice and the friend i went to silent voice actually invited me to kimi no na wa but i couldnt go, so we went to voice. i do still regret not going, so ill buy it on CD/blue ray/online when it comes out. mind you it released about 2 months ago here
>>
That last scene had me on the edge of my seat for whether or not it would end up like 5 cm/s. If it had, I was ready to punch something.

I liked how the story evolved from the bodyswapping, which is all that I knew about it going in, and how the difference in iPhone versions is a nice early clue to the time travel shenanigans.

It still didn't get me to cry, though. I was expecting this to be the one anime movie that'd do it, since it was so hyped-up. I came out just as dry as I went in. Maybe I'm just a cold person.

Great movie, though. I'm going to go again to see the dub, and then maybe one more time just for the heck of it since tickets are super-cheap near me.
>>
>>155641737
When someone else is in control of your body there's really nothing you can do to stop anything, but at the least it means he doesn't see her tits as soon as he takes off her pajamas.
>>
>>155642036
That shit was so hot I almost popped a boner in the theater.
>>
>>155642048
>tempted to make it my head canon.
Please be a slightly ironic post
>>
Can't go because of the no single's policy.

I did see it when it first came out, so It's not too much of a problem.
>>
I might go to the 7PM showings tomorrow in Oakland, CA after my labwork. Hopefully the theater is empty.
>>
>>155642091
what the actual fuck
>>
>>155642048
They aren't in a dream, they literally say in the movie they are in a dream like state while swapped. Like a dream, they slowly forget as time goes on.
>>
>>155641822
>casuals
Or maybe people just wanted to see it as it was intended to be seen, in the theater, and not ruin the experience on an inferior screen.
>>
>>155642073
If it did end like 5cm/s it would have made you cry because then there would be a reason to cry.
Everything ends too nicely.
>>
>>155642073
>difference in iPhone versions
oh shit nigga that's really something else
>>
>>155641921
Not really, no.

Honestly, I doubt they could have not encountered the year at all, but then Taki forgot/didn't remember the name of the village he was visiting so it shouldn't be ruled out that whenever they saw the year it just didn't register.
>>
>>155642019
>Richmond Hill
I hate how brown people who think they're gangster overran that neighborhood.
>>
>>155639026
It's Kei
>>
>>155641921
what kind of school writes the fucking year, let alone the date in the classroom?
>>
File: 1487704416503.jpg (64KB, 630x578px) Image search: [Google]
1487704416503.jpg
64KB, 630x578px
>>155639357
>>155639489
>>155641162
>>155642036
>>155641048

WHY IS MITSUHA SO CUTE.
>>
Aw hell yeah /a/

Just watched this too. Love that theres a thread
>>
Anyone know how long g it'll be in theaters? Was hoping to go with GF, but she's out of town for two weeks
>>
>>155642112
Is oakland nice enough now that weebs wouldn't get shot on sight?
>>
>>155642108
>no single's policy
What is this meme.
>>
>>155642073
>and how the difference in iPhone versions is a nice early clue to the time travel shenanigans
But the iPhone 5S looks just like the SE. The SE and 6S/7 are both very current in Japan so I would say people are just grasping for things.
>>
>>155642108
>theater has no singles policy
>bring sister to watch with me
>5 minutes in and mitsuha feels up her own boobs
>sister looks at me with a cold stare
>"Why did you bring me to watch your stupid hentai crap?"
>she leaves the theater
>armed officers escort me to the singles zone separated by bullet proof glass
>they strip me naked and give me patdown to make sure I'm unarmed
>after inspecting my naked body they handcuff me to a rusty pole and make me watch the movie next to a bunch of smelly weebs
>forced to pee standing
>>
>>155642189
>let alone the date
Did you seriously never write the fucking date on any of your assignments
>>
>>155642189
>let alone the date
Every Japanese school.
Month and day.
>>
>>155642135
I didn't cry at 5cm/s though.
I would've just been mad and shit up the threads on here with complaining.
>>
>>155642019
But they legitimately had no memory of what they did the previous day while they were swapped. I get what you're going for thematically and I kind of like it, but on a literal level it's pretty clear that they swapped.

Of course even if the sci-fi elements are literal, that doesn't take away from the more figurative reading.
>>
>>155642268
Grow up. That's life.
>>
>>155642200
Depends on the part of Oakland. Piedmont Theatre is in the more affluent area by the Claremount country club.
>>
>>155642260
we put like 9/4 thats it here
>>
>>155642199
only way to know for sure is to call the theater and ask. Since it's a "select theaters" release they aren't really pressured to keep it for a fixed amount of time
>>
>>155642073
I was stirred, but I didn't cry either. The only anime movie that has made me cry multiple times is Kara no Kyoukai 5. But I wasn't expecting to cry that hard, you just gotta distance yourself from pre-conceived notions as much as you can I guess.
>>
>>155642238
I'm pretty sure she had an iPhone 4. It was too short to be a 5.
>>
>>155642200
If the hipsters don't get shot on sight, I guess the weebs can sneak by too.
>>
>>155642115
desu this scene awakened a fetish that had been left to dry since that series with the girl with scissors.
>>
I can't believe theatres show 45 minutes of ads before the actual movie. How do people find this acceptable?
>>
>>155642268
Seems like you're enough of a newfag if you have never shitposted about 5cm ending in hundreds threads we had about it.
>>
>>155641986
This, but applied to all anime ever.
>>
>>155641937
No king rules forever my son
>>
>>155642191
She fondles cock every other day.
>>
>>155640005
>(You)
Hi
>>
>>155639357
I understood it the first time, but it took a second viewing to understand how all the details fit together (I completely missed the twilight pun and just thought it was muh power of love for example). Some other details were too Japanese (her accent, the sake ad, for example) and I had to read about it here. I can totally understand why some people thought the story tried too many different random and "anime" things now. The first time watching, you're too focused on learning the story to remember and connect all the details and the real world issues of Japan as well. Only the second viewing brought me to tears. Will probably go again and find even more things.
>>
>>155642299
>>155642346
that's nice. i was born at highland hospital but haven't been back to the bay since i was 12.

enjoy the movie anon
>>
>>155642385
I meant I'd have shit up these threads complaining about this movie if it had ended the same way 5cm/s did.
>>
>>155642134
uh, no. This movie is a very personal experience. Watching with a bunch of people laughing or reacting to things ruins it.
>>
>>155637932
Top 25, maybe.

Had mostly the same experience as everyone else in this thread. Only annoying thing that happened was hearing some fags talk about the symbolism of the sakura petals or some shit after the movie ended. Music was terrible also.
>>
>>155642115
It was like she was spitting up a bukkake's worth of cum. Pretty hot desu.
>>
>>155642479
ITS FUCKING GROSS SHE IS CHEWING UP AND SPITTING SHIT UP WHAT IS WRONG WITH /A/
>>
>>155642373
Fuggggg that was a great show, thanks for reminding me
>>
>>155642422
Fondling Taki's cock doesn't make her a slut you mongoloid. She's just letting off steam.
>>
>>155642470
Pretty much. This is the first Makoto Shinkai movie I didn't feel anything since it's also the first I saw with others.
>>
>>155642202
Healthy young virgin goes to movies, gets kicked out for being single.

Many suck cases.
>>
>>155642516
Are you from reddit or just fishing for replies?
>>
>>155642516
It's an indirect kiss, anon!
>>
>>155641863
Still, it has dates and days. There's no way September 12 lands on a Thursday 3 years from now or vice versa.
>>
>>155641822

I feel most of the shitposting started after kimi didn't get the oscar nomination,
>>
>Watching this movie in theaters
>When they walk past each other in the snow
>They both look back at different times and miss each other

Walked out right there, fuck this movie.
>>
File: not-cum.jpg (362KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
not-cum.jpg
362KB, 750x750px
>>155642516
>Not wanting your waifu's syrupy saliva converted into exquisite liquor
Found the normalfag.
>>
>>155642629
I'm feeling drunk already.
>>
>>155642470
Well hopefully your fellow cinema goers are courteous enough to keep their reactions to themselves, but I realize most americans are too obnoxious for that to actually happen
>>
>>155642590
8/8 b8.
>>
>>155642645
Wew. Same.
>>
>>155642578
>donest like gross things
>hahaha guys look, must be from reddit or baiting right guys... right
its almost as if we have different tastes anon (also im not really an /a/ fag)
>>
>>155642433
Stop trying to bamboozle us with ironic retardation.

>>155642584
lewd

>>155642519
Welcome. I wish it had all been adapted. Maybe Kyoani will pick it up and make season 2. kek
>>
>>155642529

>first time she body swapped
>feels something between her legs
>she fondles it
>erection
>she has no idea what to do
>it wont go away
>she starts crying
>roommate comes into the rooms to see what happened
>lots of blushing as he shows her how to masturbate

deleted scene when?
>>
I saw it at an indie movie theater. There were only previews for some black and white german movie and a period film about Emily Dickenson or some dumb shit
>>
>>155642167
I'm actually chink and not from Richmond Hill. Theatre was 9:1 Asians and whites, as every theatre in Toronto probably. Had to go to a cafe after though and it only had Middle-Eastern people staring at me. Was legit nervous.

>>155642286
Yea, I was posting that theory half-ironically. Good point with the figurative reading though.
>>
There were a number of times I was afraid the movie would end abruptly and leave me blue balled. I'm glad it didn't.
>>
The one thing that kind of pissed me off was Taki's voice when Mitsuha was in his body. It sounded like the VA was overdoing trying to pull off the "feminine voice" when Taki in Mitsuha's body didn't sound too different.
>>
>>155642799
Am I the only one that wanted that to happen?
>>
>>155642761
>Only Yesterday

I saw that in theaters too actually. It was at the Alamo Drafthouse though, so it's slightly less hipster but not much.
>>
>>155642824
>The one thing that kind of pissed me off was how badly I wanted to fuck Taki when Mitsuha was in his body.

Totally normal feelings, bro.
>>
>>155642799
Yeah, I'm kind of glad I wasn't watching it on a screen where I could easily check how much longer it had left because of those points. It kept you scared of blueballing until basically the last words.
>>
>>155642882
Yes. Once was enough for Shinkai.
>>
File: 1257004748921.jpg (35KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
1257004748921.jpg
35KB, 650x450px
>it's a "the title is the last words before the credits" movie
>>
>>155642824
>>155642906
Why was this bad?

Taki was much more confident that Mitsu, as time went on she started speaking more normally in his body.
>>
>>155643015
that was fucking amazing though. perfect way to end the movie
>>
>>155642882
I was hoping they would end it at several points (also expecting because Shinkai) and was preparing my tear ducts. Still liked the actual ending though.
>>
File: 1476749460795.png (206KB, 748x639px) Image search: [Google]
1476749460795.png
206KB, 748x639px
>>155643015
>it's an "I try to tell a friend what movie I just saw and they get really confused because the title is bullshit" episode
>>
>>155643057
>kimi no namae wa
>not kimi no na wa
>perfect
>>
>>155643011
>Children Who Chase etc etc
>5cm/s
>Garden of Words
>Once
>>
File: 1469065376516.png (154KB, 423x468px) Image search: [Google]
1469065376516.png
154KB, 423x468px
>sitting next to some loud fag
>every time a funny scene happens he laughs the loudest in the theatre
>worst thing about him is that he laughs like he came out of fucking one piece
>HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH
>even on scenes that weren't funny
>even before the funny part happens, making it clear he watched the movie before
>>
>>155643097
in the dub it was "have we met before? may please i ask your name?" and the english title was "your name"
>>
>>155643161
was he black?
>>
>>155643016
It sounded forced. The voice actor couldn't quite pull it off. It didn't sound like "girl in a guy's body," it sounded like "guy pretending to be a girl in a guy's body."

>inb4 "forced voicing"
>>
>>155643221
Nope, asian. Which was like 90% of the theatre.
>>
>>155639489
>hard movie to follow
>I am a girl

like pottery
>>
Got back from a showing a couple of hours ago, college town so we had a pretty decent crowd. My group alone was 20 something people. I've been telling people about it since I first watched the shitty rip and corralled people into going, all of them enjoyed it immensely.

Theater is showing both the sub and the dub so I think I'll catch the dub in the next day or so since a friend said it was pretty well done, they bullshitting me or is the dub actually decent?
>>
>>155643227
It would sound forced except that kinda how she spoke even in her own body.
>>
The cell phone date is a pretty glaring plot hole. The only excuse I could think of is that the boonie town used heisei year while Tokyo used 20xx. I don't know.
>>
>>155643466
If it were just the style of speaking, I'd be fine. The VA forced his voice higher than normal, though, which just sounded off. It reminded me of every single time they parody a girl's voice in Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, which is not what you want to shoot for in a feature film with emotional impact.
>>
>>155643556
Even then that wouldn't make sense because the days wouldn't match up with the date.
>>
>>155643556
something something sleep dream memories

Yeah, it's a plot hole.
>>
>>155643424
Saw the dub first and it stands up pretty well. Gonna see sub soon so I can have full opinion.
>>
>>155643424
dub was really good
>>
>>155637932
Leaving the theater, I was pissed.
The autistic fucks behind me talked the whole fucking movie.

Absolute bullshit!
>>
>>155643556
Phones don't show the year unless you go to the calendar, which you don't because phones show the date on the lock screen. Still hard to believe they never saw the year though.
>>
>>155637932
Whispers to /a/:Zootopia was the best animated film of 2016
>>
>>155643670
I'm completely fine with it since they mentioned they felt as if they were in a dream the whole time they were switched, constantly.

When you're in the dream everything seems right, when you're in a dream you don't think a purple lion strolling across your job's parking lot is strange, you just accept it it's only after later reflection you might consider it odd. So during their body switches they no doubt looked at the date but they just kind of saw it and thought "sure is CURRENT YEAR." They never noted it down because it was never relevant so their attention was never drawn to it completely.
>>
>>155643845
Nope, it only won the Oscar which has lost all meaning since the Academy has outright stated they don't watch the animated film nominees for the most part and still vote, sometimes letting their kids decide. The Best Animated Film category is the biggest joke at the Oscars, which are already a huge fuckin' comedy of errors.
>>
>>155643845
whispers to u: I'M ABOUT TO CUM... P-PLEASE, JUST A LITTLE MORE A-ANON...
>>
I don't know what surprised me more. That I didn't know this was a Shinkai film, or that I didn't figure it out until the credits.

Weebs were present, but well behaved.
>>
>>155642167
>Brown people overran the asians who are now hunkering down in Markham
Literally could not give less of a fuck.
>>
File: 1485490779487.webm (374KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485490779487.webm
374KB, 500x500px
>>155641162
didn't notice this
I like that there are little details like this that make it worth watching multiple times
>>
>>155642343
That could easily have been mistaken as country girl not wanting the latest ishit/not being able to afford it on account of living with granny
>>
File: 1488993903063.jpg (32KB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488993903063.jpg
32KB, 638x480px
>>155642012
YAMEROOOO!!
>>
>>155643845
Off-topic: It's been awhile since I saw Zootopia but why didn't that bunny figure out something was def wrong when not only the predatory animals but also A FUCKING OTTER were acting like they got rabbies and instead blame the predatory instincts just to address some political correctness in a movie for children ?
>>
>>155643057
Well they said the line like 50 times previously, as if they weren't sure if that was going to be the last line
>>
>>155643934
Followup. I bought the ticket online and had a QR code thing on my phone, so I showed it to the guy at the theater to scan it. He scanned it and said "Your Name?".

So I told him my name.

Am I retarded?
>>
>>155644033
Otters are predators m8
>>
>>155643938
As a brown person who loves intimidating asians, this makes me feel good.
>>
>>155644073
I thought they only eat fish like cats and not rabbits ?
>>
>>155644083
Yeah I hope you love watching the nice white neighborhood you moved into start to look more and more like the shithole you left. Tell me how great you feel in 50 years when there are no more nice white enclaves to shit up and you can't run from your own curry smell anymore.
>>
File: 1489810853771.png (50KB, 282x424px) Image search: [Google]
1489810853771.png
50KB, 282x424px
>>155644067
>>
>>155644109
A predator is an animal that preys on other animals, size of the prey doesn't matter.
>>
File: 25477.webm (278KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
25477.webm
278KB, 720x405px
tmw you somehow fucked up
>>
File: 1477416661783.jpg (92KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1477416661783.jpg
92KB, 442x650px
I'll be buying this when it comes out on Blu-ray. I just went to see it with my lady. The theater was a mix of Asians, Nerds, Asian-Nerds, Normal looking people and some couples of all those previously stated demographics.

I was going to watch Logan but the reserved seating offered was shit, so I was just browsing what other things they had and I had never seen an anime in theaters before.

How I felt when it moved from the light-hearted shenanigans to the mystery.
>>
Why are we supposed to believe they'll be together in the end?
>>
>>155643847
evidently it was clear enough for taki to extremely accurately draw a recognizable main vista of the town with landmarks tho
>>
>>155644193
Then why was that otter not fucking in jail ? And I guess based on your logic some birds/mammals like owls or badgers should have been in jailed as well.
>>
File: 1480287907644.gif (3MB, 309x313px) Image search: [Google]
1480287907644.gif
3MB, 309x313px
>>155644199
Imagine how it would feel if you got a bunch of love notes and then realized they were for someone else who was living in your body

Poor Mitsuha
>>
>>155644344
Ask /tv/ or /co/
>>
I wish we saw more of the boy living the girl's life. There was very little of it until the climax.
>>
>>155644400
Taki's got better game with boys and girls than Mitsuha.
>>
>>155644249
You don't. You believe whatever the hell you want because the it's ambiguous, it's just that most people are suckers for the feelgood they-get-together-in-the-end ending (including me)
>>
File: 1379995531647.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1379995531647.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>155644400
>Imagine being a guy in a girls body and getting love notes and confessions
>>
>>155644249
It's repeated several times from the beginning that they became consumed with the feeling that someone out there was the missing thing in their lives. And as soon as they pass each other on the train they instantly realize they're looking at that person. Call me a romantic there's no way that goes nowhere.
>>
>>155644417
>asking cancer
No thanks.
>>
>>155644344
As a /co/mrade, the otter was effectively in jail. The husband otter was the one who went insane and started attacking people. The mayor, a lion, hid all of this because he thought this would fuck up the city they had built together. Also as a predator himself that would cast a very bad light on him as a leader.

Up to that point in the movie not all predators were jailed/captured, only those who had went feral, after it was revealed only predators had gone feral (because they had been specifically targeted) people started to really be prejudice against predators.
>>
File: 1485974695361.jpg (78KB, 592x492px) Image search: [Google]
1485974695361.jpg
78KB, 592x492px
>>155644462
>Taki, why is a girl in love with me?!

being a lesbo is confirmed easy mode
>>
>>155644328
Dreams are basically all just raw sensory information, what time it is, where this is taking place in the larger scheme, all of that isn't relevant, only what's happening to you now.

Dreams are finicky and weird, them constantly reiterating it felt like a dream, they were dreaming, etc., excuses much of what would be inconsistencies because again, dreams are finicky and weird.
>>
>>155644526
>the otter was effectively in jail
Huh, I didn't catch that scene. Thanks for clearing that up. Also
>people
>>
just got home from a late showing in Houston. maybe 30 people in there.

Really good movie, but I feel the beginning is actually the weakest part. Just happy to see any anime in theatres
>>
>>155644547
An interesting twist would have been if Miki's spouse turned out to be a woman.
>>
>>155644513

Do you mean;

> Call me a romantic, but there's no way that doesn't go somewhere
>>
>>155644680
Yeah the whole deal is the husband goes missing and the police haven't found anything so the wife comes in and Judy takes the case. The husband is with all the other insane predators that have been drugged.

>people
They're basically people.
>>
OVA of Taki and Mitsuba doing wacky day to day things when in one anothers bodies when?
>>
Watching this in theaters tomorrow, should I watch the sub or dub?
>>
>>155644822
>watching dubbed shit
>>
So the idea is that this is how soul mates meet? Like people who are destined to be together have these shenanigans, forget about them only to wind up together making new memories? You can call the ending open but to me this was all but explicit.
>>
>>155637932
Yes. I was genuinely blown away. I'm very glad I got to see this in the theater, and I'll probably go again before it's gone.

>How were the weebs at your local cinema?

Obnoxious. Yelling shit like "write her name down!" at the screen and laughing an inappropriate times.
>>
>>155644759
No I meant that I only saw the otter resting inside a nice hospital room and never saw him got sentenced to prison or anything. And they are just fictional animals that represent the creators' beliefs/opinions/whatever.
>>
File: file.png (246KB, 350x496px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
246KB, 350x496px
>>155644802
there is a novel covering the stuff they skipped over with the montage I don't think they had any plans to animate it but considering the success of the film it might become a thing
>>
>>155644822

Not a weeb and never really post on /a/. I saw the Sub and liked it a lot.
>>
File: 1473528214552.gif (1000KB, 600x302px) Image search: [Google]
1473528214552.gif
1000KB, 600x302px
>get back from seeing this in theaters
>first thing I do is check sadpanda
Anyone else?
>>
>>155642781
Y&D was prob 1:1 Asian\White. Lots of actual nips too. Mostly normies, not like Madoka Rebellion with cosplayers and dudes were yelling out memes.
>>
>>155638166
>Despicable Me 3, Lego NInjago Movie, My Little Pony, and so on.

This pissed me off. I should be used to how the west sees animation by now but god dammit you fucking plebs at least try
>>
>>155644903
You're a monster

If you find anything good share it
>>
>>155644822
definitely sub for this one. If you're still not sure, there are minute long previews for S/D on Youtube.
>>
>>155644903
It's sad, I can't look at any porn of stuff that I've read/watched etc. Once I see something I can't deal with any out of characterness in the porn so there are very few times I can actually enjoy it. Most doujins and shit are absolutely trash for maintaining the characters.

For stuff I haven't seen, I'll read it for the porn, for stuff I have seen I read it for the plot.
>>
>>155644896
Has it been translated?
>>
Do you think they stayed virgins?
>>
>>155645001
I think somebody licensed it
>>
>>155644964
there's a hi-per pinch doujin with no scat tag. results look promising. i will report back later.
>>
>>155645001
Someone posted it's coming out in June.
>>
>>155645003
Taki, yes
Mitsuha, who knows what she was doing for 8 years.
>>
>>155645003
Not according to any of this hentai
>>
wat happen after they wat ur name at the end did they fuck??
>>
File: 1481695264126.png (3MB, 1076x1105px) Image search: [Google]
1481695264126.png
3MB, 1076x1105px
>>155637932

There was a crowd of like five or six teenagers, two weeaboo anime club girls with their boyfriends.
They were irritating before and after the movie but never talked during it.

I still contempt them with everything within me.
I was hoping there would be some cute weeb girls there alone and I was upset that they were all there with boyfriends.
>>
>>155645001
it's licensed and will be out in june/july or something
>>
>>155645061
It's semi-probable that Taki fucked his boss, didn't seem like they were dating at the end but I got the feeling that they must have for a while.
>>
>>155641818
>dates on their phones
This is how you identify android-fags.
>>
>>155644939

When did you see it? All I saw was ad's for events like TED talks, plays, nature and art specials. Went to the 10:30pm showing a few hours ago.
>>
>>155639916

So what, are you going to post this in every thread from now on? Fuck off. If we didn't see it in that thread, we weren't going to die without it.
>>
>tfw my current gf looks and dresses like Mitsuha but acts exactly like Taki
>>
>>155645109
they all lived happily ever after
>>
>>155645173
>Forced pasta reviews.
>>
>>155645132
Nah, they didn't fuck. She knew he loved someone else and went on a crazy quest into the country to find her, he might have lost his memories but he still felt lost. She picked up on that and stopped it from going further but remained friends.
>>
>>155645109
That's one interesting loose end I'm glad they left. They could've gotten to know each other properly over time, maybe meet up and drink tea while reminiscing on the past. Or maybe they exchanged names and went their separate ways forever.
>>
>>155645132

I doubt that, she friendzoned him during the movie, at the end she was married to someone
>>
>>155640199

I mentioned this before, but that scene literally made me want to quit my job and get into animation and I'm sitting here sketching right now

I know I'm not supposed to like things this much when I'm on /a/ but fuck it, this movie was astonishing.
>>
>>155645132
did you even watch the movie? if they were dating, why would she say 'i used to have a crush on you'.

so in your version of things, something like this happens?

>dating
>break up
>meet up years later, she drops giant bombshell 'i actually had a crush on you'

k.
>>
>>155637932
Based on my experience I can confirm that Salem, Oregon is 100% weeb-free.

It is also devoid of people interested in seeing Your Name.
>>
>>155643556
Protip: look at your iPhone.
>>
>>155645159

was it AMC, I'm probably going to see it again dubbed, but will come 15 minutes late to avoid that crap.
>>
>>155645159

Last night in KC
>>
>>155645222
Completely agree, we aren't promised anything, we don't get a happily ever after, all we're given is they met and recognized each other at least a little bit, that shred of hope that perhaps they will reconnect, but no promise of it.
>>
>that scene when Taki is at the high school with the view of the leveled town
Made my stomach drop.
>>
File: 1334371073243.png (203KB, 435x606px) Image search: [Google]
1334371073243.png
203KB, 435x606px
>>155645022
>>155645055
>>155645119
Thanks for the info Anon, I'll probably bu it because I'm such a pleb.
>>
>>155645159
Some other anons were saying that earlier but I think they were Canadian. US theaters just categorize it as "animation" and show trailers for shitty computer animated kids movies.
>>
I'll laugh if it does better than GiTS
>>
>>155645226

He friendzoned her, m8
>>
>>155637932
I saw it at the Crossgates Mall Regal Cinemas
There was a pack of fujoshi sitting in the rows of seats next to me, fangirling about how hot Taki was, and there was one dude who laughed so fucking loud, even when it wasn't that funny. Other than that, it was a really good movie imo, I had a great seat with no one blocking my view, and for my first time watching an anime movie in a movie theater, it really added to the experience.

I'm so glad I waited rather than watching the leaked versions online.
>>
File: 1467874516536.png (205KB, 622x625px) Image search: [Google]
1467874516536.png
205KB, 622x625px
So, now that everyone has seen it in theaters...

How many /a/nons do you think were in the same room together tonight and didn't even know it?
>>
>>155638166
My theater had a preview for fucking Wonder Woman of all things.
>>
>>155645472
shit, it was at crossgates?
i'm glad i watched it in a first-class seat on jal half a year ago while eating caviar
>>
>>155645474
I did see a few people watching it on their own too so it's likely
>>
>>155645474
I bet the fat dude wearing cargo shorts who sat in front of me posts here. Also the girl who went alone in a completely unnecessary blue dress
>>
>>155645474
any other 5:20 downtown toronto cineplex fags here?
>>
>>155645525
nice
>>
>>155637932
>becoming interested in seeing it
>check closest theatre
>its right near the college i went to
>its anime club is notorious for being obnoxious
I'll just wait for a torrent
Plus, in my region, it's probably already been ordered to stop showing since there's no french sub/dub available
>>
>>155645579
>Also the girl who went alone in a completely unnecessary blue dress
the classic 'overdressing so nobody will figure out i'm a loser'
>>
>>155645474
My friend's brother's friend, who went with us, apparently has completed over 400 anime series. I can't imagine him being from anywhere but here. He may even be in this thread. He might be you.
>>
>>155643015
But he said Kimi no namae ha.

It's different.
>>
I just realised mitsuha is 3 years older than taki, holy shit i'm retarded
>>
>>155645579
>Also the girl who went alone in a completely unnecessary blue dress

Cute
Give me her number
>>
>>155644822
I'll be honest, I saw it dubbed by accident last night. It wasn't bad but after seeing the sub I mean it's not even a question unless you're gonna see it with someone who's not used to watching stuff subbed.
>>
>hear about this movie a while back
>decide to search it on nyaa last weekend without knowing anything
>cool, it's there
>these visuals are insane, too bad i couldn't experience this in the theater
>comes out in the theater a week later

i fucked up
>>
>>155645761
I was hoping that the girl at the end would be Yotsuha, since she'd be an extra three years older as well. I like my bittersweet endings better than what really happened.
>>
>>155639782
This

>>155639866
Subs actually had a few typos, one of the more obvious ones were "saké" when it should really be just "sake".
>>
>>155645840
Yeah I watched it way back when we had the shitty rip and I'm kind of sad I didn't wait until it came out in theaters. But then again the only reason I had a big crowd to go with was I knew it was really good and convinced a lot of people to go, so if I hadn't seen it, it would probably just have been me and one or two friends.
>>
>>155645474
>Be me at Valley Plaza 16 yesterday
>Absolutely excited to watch and patiently wait for the movie to start while trying to keep it down with my friends
>movie starts
>Some autistic bitch suddenly starts to laugh at every little joke starting from the trailers
>A couple of faggots never stopped talking behind me who tried to explain every little joke to their other faggot friends
>ready to fuck them up after the movie
>best friend tells them off instead during the movie
>shuts them up for good
>fuckyeah.jpg
I'm glad I didn't know anybody else aside from my friends in that theater.
>>
>>155645884
"saké" is fine, it helps the really dumb audience members understand it's not the English work sake and the average audience members understand it's not pronounced saki. people just don't use it a lot because typing accents on a us keyboard sucks.
>>
>>155645866
>it's yotsuha
>she tells taki that their dad smacked mitsuha when she went back to convince him the second time, came to his senses and still gave evacuation order
>concussion, she's in a coma
>taki goes to visit her in the hospital
>credits

like that?
>>
File: 1487109138490.gif (673KB, 498x652px) Image search: [Google]
1487109138490.gif
673KB, 498x652px
>>155645840
>>155645891
>got spoiled on /a/
>watched the chink rip anyway
>saw it the cinema months later
>>
>>155645276
>why would she say 'i used to have a crush on you'.
Wait, what? In the novel she says "you used to have a crush on me".

>君は昔、私のことがちょっと好きだったでしょう

Unless that was at a different place?
>>
>>155645866
What's the point though? The whole movie was all about Taki and Mitsuha as a couple falling in love in a rather unconventional way (never really meet each other before developing romantic feelings) so any third wheel just dismisses the whole point.
I like bittersweet endings as well but if this movie didn't have a happy ending then truly it would be a shitty movie.
>>
>>155645955
No no no, he's saying "saké" was used incorrectly, they mention saké previously in the movie and spell it as I have but later when they say something like " for goodness sake" or something along those lines, the sub reads "for goodness saké"

Sake, the regular English word was definitely supposed to go there but it looked like they just Ctrl+F Replaced sake with saké in the sub file.
>>
>>155645840
it's okay anon, go see it in theater. it's still a great watch
>>
>>155645996
I somehow remained unspoiled so my first viewing, although with shitty visuals, was an emotional one. The last 20 minutes I was basically yelling at my computer telling it to not fuck me with a shitty ending.
>>
File: 1489109614566.jpg (3MB, 2500x1724px) Image search: [Google]
1489109614566.jpg
3MB, 2500x1724px
Been pretty much listening to the OST constantly since watching it, no one really mentions it but the music in this is really really good.
>>
>>155645761
Watch Garden of Words. Shinkai is all about woman/boy relations.
>>
>>155646050
ohh
yeah that's dumb af
>>
>>155645968
If the reason for the coma was less retarded, yeah, that might have been pretty solid actually.
>>
>>155646112
It got a chuckle out of the audience at my showing.
>>
>>155645955
Apparently there is one place where they put the accent on the e where it really should be sake, like "I did it for your sake", not referring to the drink.

But then most people don't know how to pronounce the accents anymore anyway and it isn't pronounced saki.
>>
>>155646090
Shinkai usually does a good job with getting good music for his films.
>>
>>155645968
More like "she still died somehow, but it's Yotsuha with the ribbon and it makes Taki remember everything." So much of the movie was about him dealing with forgetting her that I think it would have been nice for her to remain dead but stick around in his memory.

>>155646031
>any third wheel just dismisses the whole point

I don't mean in a romantic way. Just a way of reminding him of what happened. Everything working out perfectly including everybody in the town surviving just hits me the wrong way a bit, like it's a little too perfect of a happy ending. I'm fine with happy endings but it doesn't have to go 100% perfect, feels like too much of a move to please the crowd.
>>
>>155646090
the entire moment Sparkle plays made me on the verge of tears
>>
>>155646090
I was all smiles from Zenzenzense and that entire montage during the movie
>>
File: 1455734878289.jpg (33KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
1455734878289.jpg
33KB, 736x414px
Yukino-sensei got asploded by the meteor when it crashed into the town and she never saw Takao-kun again
>>
>>155645022
It'll be out october 31st
>>
So I'm in a place of severe melancholy, not depressed for the ending wasn't a sad but very bittersweet. What should I do?
>>
>>155646223
Yeah I get your point but considering this : Taki and Mitsuha worked their asses off to prevent the bad event and cheat death (with helps from Shinto gods) so letting Mitsuha die in the end is just a dick move, plain and simple.
I think Shinkai wants this movie to be a modern fairy tale rather than a commentary work like 5cm or GoW, I mean just look at the light-hearted atmosphere compared to stagnant/melancholic ones in other movies.
>>
>>155638977
Same
>>
>the whole plot is literally just The Lakehouse except it's with teens nearing the age of adults bodyswapping and there's a sub plot about saving a whole town

wew
>>
>>155637932
Not really. The love story was cute and the drama was nice, but the plot device was kind of bullshit.

Mostly yellow people and along with a few hipsters when I saw the subbed version at an AMC. There wasn't anything to complain about.

Very enjoyable experience, though Funi was kind of shit with the subs and how aliased they were. Also why couldn't they bother to at least redo the credits in English?
>>
>>155646422
go to sleep
>>
>>155646422
you'll get over it, personally I'm just happy it didn't have an ending a la 5cm per second.
>>
>>155646486
>The Lakehouse
>story by some koreans
not surprised there
>>
>>155646090
This. I could never miss out on that tip top math rock for anything.
>>
Should I go and watch it a third time?
>>
>>155646422
>wasn't a sad but very bittersweet
wew don't watch Shinkai's older stuff then
>>
>>155646578
I need to go and watch a second time.
>>
>>155646587
I've heard about them, I'd probably just call that shit depressing for me.
>>
>>155646350
nah, shes fine
>>
>>155646574
What's a good radwimps album to start listening to?
>>
>>155645474
Out of the people at the theater, I saw one pasty as guy in the back. He was wearing glasses, and was the only one in the theater on his own. Definitely someone from /a/, but I never did ask his name.
>>
>>155646623
I dunno how they would affect you personally but the characters are more self inserts than actual characters you can cheer for like your name had
>>155646639
Human Bloom is the latest and is pretty good it's got zen zen zense and sparkle on it
>>
>>155646623
>not watching shinkai's previous works
It made Your Name's ending much more satisfying
>>
>>155638369
Oh cool. Another Hawaii anon.
>>
>the phone starts to delete diary entries by itself as though they never happened
>all because they stopped bodyswapping

>apparently, altering the events of the past via bodyswaps such as preventing 500 deaths from a meteor strike has a distinct impact on future events, but if a past variable alters anything in the future and then that variable is erased, all changes made on present time is undone

what the fuck?
>>
File: iphone6svsiphone4s.png (512KB, 1019x588px) Image search: [Google]
iphone6svsiphone4s.png
512KB, 1019x588px
>>155643556
I liked the subtle things with the phones.
>>
>>155637932
Hard to put it in top ten among series because I want different things from movies and shows. Possibly my favorite anime movie though, at the very least in the top ten.

My theater was actually perfect. More than half-full and very reasonable laughter at the jokes. The dramatic moments were silent aside from sniffling.
>>
>>155646816

Shinto bullshit magic
>>
>>155646818

Oh fuck
>>
>>155646818
>both on 4G networks
That rules out iPhone 4, 5 and 5S.
>>
Saw it in Orlando today.

>few days ago looking for times at theatre near me
>by chance see facebook group of anime club in the area post a status that shows up on my wall
>all going at the time and theatre I was planning
>over 100 members
Dodged a huge bullet there. Went to a different theatre this morning and had a wonderful experience. The audience was so considerate and invested in the movie without talking or making noise. Nobody looked gross either, mostly girls.
>>
Pretty fucking great. Theater was very populated, but I live in a big city.

I've been following this dude since Hoshi no Koe, glad to see he got the budget he needed to basically retell his story.

Honestly my only problem with it was that I didn't really see the chemistry between the two leads. The story hinged on their love for one another but I didn't really see the love develop that much. They were both amazingly well-developed as characters individually, but together I didn't really get their attraction besides 'fate.' The story was good enough that it didn't really matter that much though.

That said, best OST in decades. Basically have been listening to it on repeat since I got home.
>>
File: 34729430275483.png (18KB, 773x669px) Image search: [Google]
34729430275483.png
18KB, 773x669px
>>155646816
don't think too hard about it
>>
>>155646818
>both are 4G

But yea, they did a pretty great job with the details.
>>
>>155646816
Don't try to analyze the actual workings of the body swapping or the time travel. They're very beyond the point and not written for any purpose outside of making you wanna cry because the nice japanese boy and the cute girl meet at the end.
>>
File: Logical Thinking.png (429KB, 1041x577px) Image search: [Google]
Logical Thinking.png
429KB, 1041x577px
>>155646890
Yeah dude just turn your brain off ya know
>>
>>155646818

nice catch

>>155646816

i could roll with the forgetting names and not noticing dates, but the diary just felt contrived, they could have just played it off as he writing hits himself or something.
>>
>>155646090
honestly it's the best ost I've heard in literally a decade. just, holy shit.
>>
>>155646758
>Human Bloom is the latest and is pretty good it's got zen zen zense and sparkle on it
I'll check it out and go backwards from there, thanks anon
>>
>>155646930
This scene with this faggot talking shit and moving his hands in that strange way is somewhat pleasing.
>>
>>155643556
>>155646816
literally shinto musubi magic
>>
>>155646618
do it, you won't be disappointed the second time but I wish I had someone to go with
>>
>>155646797
I've heard, but I knew his reputation as a director and the general idea of how his previous movies ended, so I was very worried towards the end of Your Name, I really didn't know if it would have a happy ending.
>>
>>155646816
Apparently Shinto gods are a bit picky about putting some magic efforts into teenager's affairs.
>>
>>155646887
Oh shit another Orlando anon, mind if I ask which theater?
>>
>>155647062
XD
>>
>>155646816
if you go to the future and then do some crazy shit like kill 20,000 people and then go back to your own time, did you really kill 20,000 people?

likewise, if you switch bodies with a dude 3 years into the future and write into his virtual diary and then suddenly you stop, did you really write in his diary?
>>
>>155639590
>>155639610
>>155639611
>>155639965

Jesus how fucking socially inept are you people.
>>
>>155643556
People would get Heisei/western difference immediately. It's more plausible that they just didn't pay attention to the date when swapped, if they never swapped on a holiday I know I only looked at weekdays at at that age.
>>
>>155639026
I love you
>>
File: 1484944072973.jpg (63KB, 600x678px) Image search: [Google]
1484944072973.jpg
63KB, 600x678px
>>155639590
take your imouto obviously
>>
File: 1482570901465.jpg (35KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1482570901465.jpg
35KB, 320x320px
>finish the movie
>think about my friend who died in Japan
>couldn't remember the name of the city she was in for a moment

really fucked me up for a second there, family
>>
>>155637932
The weebs (me) was ok at the local cinema, also there are a lot of azns in these theatres fuck I didn't think I was talking to fucking asians the entire time here
>>
>>155640596

NO FUCK YOU I'LL FUCKING SLIT YOUR THROAT M8
>>
>>155647161
cute innocent girls don't exist in real life, they don't get to live in fiction either or it'll make me feel bad
>>
>>155647160
>azns
>>
>>155647084
For what purpose anon.
>>
>>155647085
>being this absolutely retarded

if you did an initial time travel from the past to the future, the very act of you traveling to the future in the first place is an event that took place in the past.

Just because you fucking did stupid shit in the future doesn't mean it won't happen because "lel the time line is okay because I didn't alter anything in the past"
>>
>>155645968
>kimi no na wa is actually the prequel for The Promised Place In Our Early Days
>>
>>155644903

Sometimes I fantasize about Mitsuha getting kidnapped by an orc right before the meteor strike and turned into his sex slave.
>>
>>155646350
Garden of Words take place after Your Name.
>>
File: your name miyazaki.jpg (58KB, 583x621px) Image search: [Google]
your name miyazaki.jpg
58KB, 583x621px
>normalfags
>>
>>155647344
you are a terrible person
>>
>>155646816
I am mildly certain that because they crossed the day when Mitsuha gave Taki her cord the connection was broken which was why everything started being deleted (body swapping occurred during a period when both of them had the cord).

Taki drinking the spit sake was the bullshit magic that reconnected them.
>>
>>155637932

Just saw it for the second time this evening (first was yesterday). I wanted to see how it was like with a larger crowd and how the dub compared.

I ended up taking note of a few--what I guess you could call 'technical'--story details, which stood out to me this time with the benefit of foreknowledge.

The initial dual monologues by Taki and Mitsuha were being related by their eight-years-later selves, which prompted me to treat the whole movie as a dream being retold. In hindsight this is an impressive employment of a simple narrative device by Shinkai. Much as Mitsuha and Taki were prone to forgetting details of their swap-dreams upon returning to their own bodies, the audience shares that experience by losing grasp of those earliest hints of what was to come in the movie (or at least I did). Moreover, the audience's loss occurs in the opposite temporal direction compared to theirs (we forget as we travel into their shared past, they forget as they move on with their lives in the future). This conceptual symmetry is very pleasing in light of the movie's overall story and themes.

Their shared experience begins precisely with the recollection of Mitsuha throwing her ribbon to Taki at the station. It's at that point that Taki first wakes up in Mitsuha's body. Depending on how much deliberation you care to credit to Shinkai, that connection is quite profound in that it implies an awareness IN THE NARRATIVE ITSELF of the entwined nature of their destinies; that their was an unravelling in the threads of time that needed to be corrected. Given the time that the movie dedicates to exploring Itomor's embroidery tradition, I don't think it's a reach.

Cont.
>>
>>155642901
I went there as well. Food was overpriced but I enjoyed the experience
>>
>>155647358
fucking normies
>>
>>155647403
>normies
>>
>>155647157
Jesus Christ anon. I hope you are okay now.
>>
>>155647157
>All of us could have body swapped when we were younger and forgotten because of supernatural forgetfulness
>>
>>155647198
that's actually what the theatre's screens are called
>>
File: 1488175394614.png (278KB, 581x523px) Image search: [Google]
1488175394614.png
278KB, 581x523px
>>155647471
It was a few years ago now, it doesn't get to me too much anymore. Forgetting the city was fucked for a second though. I'm hoping I can go visit there one day though, and boy does it feel weird to want to travel to Japan after getting over my teenage weeb phase.

>>155647511
I'm 99% sure I've seen some supernatural shit in my life man, I can't rule it out.
>>
>>155647513
Ha! Thought you were just being a cunt. Fuckin' small world, I was actually planning on going there to the showing around 11AM Saturday but ended up going to a closer theater that had a better evening time.
>>
>>155637932
Went to go see it with my mom and my brother. Turned out to be the subbed version which was a pleasant surprise for me. I'd say the audience was 80% full with about half being white, quarter being asian-american, quarter being obviously Japanese (One of the girls was wearing a surgical mask when she left the theater.) Only saw one or two weebs.

My mom loved the movie but hated the music and wished the ending had them remembering the other person's name.

My sister pirated it the other night. She liked it but found the pacing and act structure to be strange compared to western movies. (She works in Hollywood so she's interested in things like that.)

>>155639091
This is why I didn't bother asking my dad to come with us. He gets completely lost with any sort of time travel plot.
>>
>>155646818
Even with watching the second time viewing, really hard to catch since those cut or swipe really fast.
>>
>>155646797

Yeah, the weight of his use of cliches is lost without seeing his other work.
>>
>>155639397
So how did the dub handle the scene on the school rooftop where Mitsuha keeps using the wrong first person pronoun?
>>
Some random ass girl throws her ribbon at you.

What do?
>>
>>155639573
It's the best date movie since Notting Hill, accept it.
>>
>>155645474
always a ton in alamo drafthouse houston
>>
>>155647693
a girl... i mean, a gal... uh, a guy! a guy like me!

something like that
>>
>>155647633
The 11 one's what I ended up going to. Yeah, it's still hard for me to believe that some of the very anons I've been talking to for years actually live in my area.
>>
>>155647693
Not very well? It did turn into a joke, but probably not in the way that can be expressed without English honorifics. She did call Tsukasa "Mr."
>>
I just saw it with my friend. It was really good. Probably the best movie I've ever seen. The ending made me kinda upset. I was on edge for the entire movie. I loved it. It was mainly old asian people and 20 somethings. They laughed at every joke very loudly. For example the first scene when she touches her boobs they were super loud.
>>
File: 59721234_p0.jpg (4MB, 2508x3541px) Image search: [Google]
59721234_p0.jpg
4MB, 2508x3541px
>>155647708
Depends. Is she good at throwing ropes/cords ?
>>
>>155647708

>Two days ago

Knock that shit away, shuffle off awkwardly

>Now

GRAB THAT SHIT AND NEVER LET GO
>>
>>155647750
The crying boobs got the biggest laughs in our audience.
>>
>>155647736
Yeah it's a trippy feeling. How was the theater? I've never been, from the seat reservations it looked small as fuck. I was considering it because the theater close by's quality isn't really that great, but convenience won out.
>>
>>155647708
You're just making me remember all the times in my life that I was too awkward to talk to cute girls who, in retrospect, were trying to talk to me

Fuck
>>
>>155647795
That whole scene was great, right down to the imouto freaking out and leaving the house early.
>>
>>155639991
That's bullshit. The movie is the same as Higurashi: A guardian deity creating a time-loop to save the town connected to them. They forgot after saving the town because the guardian deity no longer gave a shit.

Notice that her mother and grandmother (both shrine maidens) had also had body switching dreams in the past.
>>
>>155647750
The audience I was with was quiet but that and the crying while fondling scene got us. Also a few chuckles at the "for her saké" subtitle goof
>>
>>155647771
I bet shes good at bdsm
>>
>>155647867
she's gotta have fancier bondage gear than that
>>
>>155647867

I don't get this meme
>>
>>155647809
It was really nice. I don't go to that theatre often since it's somewhat far away, but every time I do it's been great. It does fill up pretty often, but now that the mall was shut down that might not be a thing anymore. Tickets are about half as cheap as the bigger chains like AMC and Regal if you go early in the morning, or all day Tuesday.

You're right, there's not many seats, but that's because they're spaced out. The screen was as big as you'd expect. Such a joy to see it on a large screen. I saw Shin Godzilla in theatres, but this was my first anime in the wild.
>>
>>155647391

When we first follow Mitsuha in her own body, the day after the first swap, Teshi jokingly suggests that Mitsuha's weird behavior the day before indicates her soul's connection to the Everett Multiverse. Looking back though, this feels like a line which telegraphs the entire movie. Taking the joke at face value and extrapolating, that would mean that Taki and Mitsuha created a new branching universe where everybody in the town survived (by communicating through the fifth dimension, if you go by RADWIMPS' introduction song lyrics). You could even imagine that Musubi's fragment was some kind of intersection point between two dimensions/timelines, especially since he is a god of connectivity. This is ultimately a triviality that isn't material to the message and experience of the movie, but it's fun to think about.

On the subject of Musubi's fragment, that whole place clearly resembled another crater. And yet the only one seemingly on record was Itomori lake itself, as Teshi pointed out. Coincidence, or a hint of another past/future that could have been, or elsewhere was? Again, a triviality, but the visual depiction was highly suggestive.

Mitsuha's grandmother's explanation of the fire that burned down the shrine, leaving the essence of the town's traditions lost to time, was perfectly couched in the movie's thematic exploration about the memories you lose and leave behind. But beyond that, it was symbolically paralleled in the last act by way of the burning electrical substation, which saved townspeople's lives and thereby preserved their existences/memories. I thought that was cool.

Aside from that, did anybody get the distinct impression that the first time Taki was in Mitsuha's body, he went to school without panties? I definitely felt that way both times when Teshi and Natori were remember how he/she was maniacally giggling.
>>
>>155647905
君の名は is homophonous with 君の縄 which translates to 'your rope'.
>>
>>155647708
Break into NASA and search through records of all the long-period comets.
>>
>>155647979
I saw those $6 tickets for the 11AM and was sorely tempted, but had a pretty big group that didn't want to make the drive out.

Well I'll be going to Disney Springs some time in the next few days to check out the dub since they have a fantastic theater, wanna watch anime together anon?
>>
>>155647998
This data is publicly available.
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/
>>
>you will never wake up as this
>>
File: hair.webm (2MB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
hair.webm
2MB, 1067x600px
Is it ok to like this again?

I saw it subbed today with a friend of mine who hadn't seen it before. Drove an hour and a half. Completely worth it.
I watched the 720p screener three times back in February. I don't really regret not seeing it in the theatre the first time since I was able to sit back and just enjoy the visuals while looking out for any details I might have missed.
There were about 15 people at my theatre. Two normalfag looking guys and a surprising number of old people. One old guy came by himself and was making weird humming noises throughout the entire movie. Everyone was pretty well behaved. They thought Yotsuha's "yabai" was pretty hilarious.

The rotoscoped(?) scenes when Mitsuha is dancing and running looked kinda weird on the screener but were fantastic on the big screen. Apparently I was gasping at the dancing scene, and completely missed the audience going "ew" at the spit. Visuals were absolutely fantastic overall.
I'm tempted to make the drive tomorrow and see it again.
>>
>>155648071
I'd love to, but I'm pretty busy finishing up my degree's senior design project next week, today was like my one free day. When were you thinking of going?
>>
>>155648319
>Is it ok to like this again?

If you like crap, yes.
>>
>>155647993
Now how did I miss that?
>>
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/asteroid-to-fly-safely-past-earth-on-april-19
Careful out there anons, make sure the year is correct if you dream about being someone else
>>
>>155648308
>ywn wake up as a cute girl and get love confessions from lesbos and then make out with them behind the school

what's the point anymore

why live when, if I had been born as a girl with the exact same personality, my life would be ez mode
>>
>>155637932
Literally didn't even make it anywhere within a 5 hour drive of me.
>>
>>155647860
Yeah, they chuckled at that as well. Also, the cryinf while fondling was pretty funny.
>>
Just got back. Pretty good but felt it was a tad too long. Could've cut off 10-15 min and it would've had the same effect or even more since the film would be condensed.

1 montage is okay but 3? I feel like someone needed to reign Shinkai back a little bit
>>
>>155648400
Careful there anon. Mitsuha is smart exactly because she wishes to be a HANDSOME boy.
>>
>>155648349
Tomorrow (Sunday), Monday, or Wednesday are the days I have free, after that I don't know how long they'll have it showing for, if it's still going next Saturday would probably be what I shoot for, only in a rush since I don't know their schedule.
>>
do you guys think Taki fondles Mitsuha's beats every morning?
>>
>>155648433
Yeah, all the false endings were unnecessary. I get they wanted to really make you feel like it was hopeless but it felt like it ended six different times.
>>
>>155648349
this guy is an expert at rejection. take note.
>>
>>155648319

That's unfortunate you have to drive almost the duration of the movie one way just to see it. It is good though.

>rotoscoped(?)
No way m8.

>>155648433

There was nary an ounce of fat to be trimmed. How much time did the montages account for, three minutes?
>>
>>155648456
Taki can't even get laid until a girl takes over his body, I don't think being handsome has helped him much in life.
Side note, I think his character design was WAY too generic to buy as "handsome." He looked like bargain bin Kyon.
>>
>>155648474

Maybe he's a grill.
>>
File: grope.webm (2MB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
grope.webm
2MB, 1067x600px
>>155648472
Obviously. The one time he stopped himself, he did it anyway.
>>
File: neverforget.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
neverforget.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>155647091
>>
>>155648598
I got genuinely irritated at how often they re-used that door slamming animation.
>>
Financial Fact: Your Name. earned approximately $630k on Friday.
>>
>>155648393
>asteroid
Boring.
>>
>>155648663
I still haven't figured out if there's any meaning behind all the door footage.
>>
>>155648663
imouto a cute
>>
>>155648666
It's unclear if that's good or bad or why I should even care, but I can't argue with satanic trips I guess
>>
>>155647631

Nothing wrong with that. It's a beautiful country.
>>
It was great.

The first scene after the introductory stuff, with Taki waking up in Mitsuha's body, really sort of primes you for the fever dream the movie becomes.
The way that it cuts to morning the next day with Mitsuha back in her own body, and doesn't outright tell you but leaves you to figure it out:
>What? He's putting on makeup and preparing his hair? He sure has a lot of experience being a girl, huh?
>Oh, so she was acting strangely the previous day. I get it now, the scene of him/her waking up and her getting dressed were separate days.
really disorients your sense of time, and leaves you open to the crazier shenanigans the film pulls later.

I thought that was cool.

I'm ambivalent as to whether I'd have preferred an ending where they did or didn't meet at the very end. After all that teasing I did really want them to meet, but I think if it cut to credits after the scene on the bridge in which they pass by each other, that would have made for a much more poignant ending. It would have also cast further uncertainty over whether the events of the movie actually ever happened or not.

The comedy was a bit dry at times. The line "Eh? Eh? Eeeeeeh?" and all its variants occurred a few times too many for me. That said, the comic relief of the crying-while-groping scene was absolutely perfect.
>the depressing sequence with learning of the fate of the town
>the vivid montage of her life segment
>wakes up
>in her body
>looks at her breasts
>They're not about to do this, are they? They wouldn't.
>hugs them instead
>Oh, okay.
>and then

/blog
>>
>>155648663
>>155648703

Watching it for the second time, the door slides (both on the train and at Mitsuha's house) definitely followed transitional beats of some kind. I wasn't paying enough attention to go beyond that though.
>>
>>155643556
If you turned into a girl, you probably wouldn't think about the date
>>
dont think its showing in any cinemas in the netherlands

Anybody know when therell be a good quality torrent available? After it leaves cinemas or sooner?
>>
>>155643556
Seeing a lot of people argue, "Well, they just didn't look at the year!" You know, three years apart, the day of the week would be wrong, not just the year.
>>
>>155648474
Haha, I realize that's kind of what I'm doing. I'm not lying, my schedule's pretty busy the next couple weeks, but at the same time the idea of meeting an irl /a/non is tempting whether he'd be weird or a total bro, so I feel a bit bad.
>>155648467
Not sure if they'll have it playing next weekend. Might just be a week thing, but could be wrong if Funi does what they did with Boy and the Beast by giving it an extra week last minute. I might be able to do a Sunday thing, but wouldn't be able to meet up next week. Hooking up with an anon from a thread is something I've always thought about, so you never know. I hate to be condescending, but may just have to be "Your Name Orlando anons" in another thread one day and let the stars align.
>>
>>155647987
I just saw it as well. I noticed many of the things you pointed out which killed the emotions for me. When people started tearing up I just remembered how the narration was from the beginning and was able to put the pieces together. This is especially due to Shinkai's obsession with distance as a theme for all his films.
Granted I still fell for the bait when he almost pulled the 5cm/s ending.

If you were in the theater where someone lightly said "don't you fucking dare" during that scene I apologise.
>>
>>155648854
It's pretty obvious here >>155646818
>>
>>155648564
I don't think he was handsome but he was definitely cute. Even generic anime MCs would be attractive if they had a personality. Balanced features, fair skin, and especially posture/the way he carries himself makes him better than myself and 90% of guys in real life.
>>
I already watched it twice, once on my own and once with roommate on shitty pirated version with giant fuckoff watermarks. How much did I fuck myself compared to if I had gone to a theatre? I fucking loved the movie anyway, and I got to cry and reach out to the screen while going "NOOO" like a fucking 8 year old autist in the privacy of my own house.
>>
>>155648868
and so they never met in the end
>>
File: 1486383240487.jpg (298KB, 830x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1486383240487.jpg
298KB, 830x1158px
>>155648986
>"don't you fucking dare"
My exact words.
>>
>>155648986

>I noticed many of the things you pointed out which killed the emotions for me. When people started tearing up I just remembered how the narration was from the beginning and was able to put the pieces together.
Is that so? It all just enhanced the experience for me, because I was able to appreciate the craftsmanship.

>If you were in the theater where someone lightly said "don't you fucking dare" during that scene I apologise.
kek nah, I'm sure we're in completely different cities. Oddly enough I was never worried about the potential for a 5cm/s ending in the lat few minutes. Maybe just because I was enjoying the movie so much.
>>
>>155649088
When I watched it by myself the first time I think my exact words were "don't fuck me" said a bit too loudly at 2AM.
>>
>>155649088

Did Japan actually use this vintage meme?
>>
Went to an indie theater to see this. Loud audience laughter at all the dumb stuff that I know is meant to be taken as funny but I just didn't find funny. I might be too old and cynical and less weeb than I used to be. I honestly didn't know crap about the film before it came out other than it was making bank in Japan and that Funimation picked it up fast, so I chose to wait on everything about it. Had I known that there was going to be a teenage boy and a teenage girl body swapping, I'd have likely not gone to see it at all. That kind of crap irritates the hell out of me usually. I'm glad I didn't know. Because once the movie moved away from just being ordinary teenager problems and weird body issues, then it became really, really good. And the landscapes, as usual from this director, were pretty fantastic. I'd bet a lot of Japanese people, and now maybe some gaijin, have been out there going on location pilgrimages for this thing, and I would almost totally get it.
>>
File: 1490841614121.jpg (51KB, 282x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490841614121.jpg
51KB, 282x960px
>>155649188
Gaijin 4koma is alive and well.
>>
>>155648868
It's all good /a/non, it's odd meeting people online, I like reaching out since I've had pretty good experiences, went to Disney World once with an anon from Maryland couple years back. Met his family and shit, got invited to dinner, it was a good time. I figure most anons are pretty normal people all things considered.

I'm about to crash since it is 4AM, but if you are interested in figuring something out for tomorrow or whenever, drop me a line.

[email protected]
>>
I think I'm going to be watching this at least three times and buying five copies of the BD. God help me.
>>
>>155649346
>five copies of the BD

why?
>>
>>155649366
Two for me and the rest for people I know.
>>
>>155649258

I also hate body-swapping normally, so I know your feeling. Although, I knew it was part of the movie before watching it.

>>155649266

Oh, good to know.

>>155649346

I might watch it a third time myself.
>>
>>155649088
You really could feel the suspense in the theater during that scene, and the sigh of relief from Shinkai fans as we all learned there was actually another scene is what I will likely remember the most from seeing it.
>>
File: 1486906155986.jpg (158KB, 1050x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1486906155986.jpg
158KB, 1050x1320px
This movie just made me feel lonely.

Not because it's a romance but because I thought about what it would be like if I had a girl to see it with.
>>
>>155649188
How about you google 外人四コマ ?
Nips and us have more things in common than you thought. Yes, even the shit taste.
>>
>>155649398
go get a girlfriend then
>>
>recall a shot from the film that would be complement to my comment
>open up the rip to look for it
>start recalling all the different scenes as I click through the film
>get too emotional and have close the window
>>
File: 61399644_p0_master1200.jpg (643KB, 861x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61399644_p0_master1200.jpg
643KB, 861x1200px
>>155649409

What a coincidence. Look what came up on page 1.
>>
>>155649429
I pretty much watched it entirely through again just to make some webms.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>155649422
Oh, get a gf? Just get a gf? Why don't I strap on my gf helmet and squeeze down into a gf cannon and fire off into GF LAND, WHERE GF'S GROW GFIES?
>>
Regarding KanaHana's character from Garden of Words: Did she leave to the country at the end of the movie, meaning it would make sense that she show's up here? I can't remember.
>>
>>155649509

kek. Don't let the normalfag get to you, anon.
>>
I wish people didn't spoil the ending of 5cm in this thread because after seeing this I was going to go watch it

Ah well.
>>
>>155649611

It's... you'll still get the full experience of watching 5cm/s at this point, I'll just say that.
>>
>>155649611
After watching that movie you'll thank us for letting you prepare in advance for a emotional crushing experience and/or saving you the troubles of shitposting about a 10-year-olded ending. Really.
>>
>>155649808
I miss all the the periodic
>why didn't they just call each other
threads we used to get
>>
File: shinkai.png (488KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
shinkai.png
488KB, 1024x576px
>>155648576
Only in my dreams.
>>155649060
My life has become a meme.
>>
>>155649060
>>155649889

kekaroni
>>
File: 1390635714485.png (70KB, 250x268px) Image search: [Google]
1390635714485.png
70KB, 250x268px
>tfw you saw this movie last year.

About time you third worlders caught up.
>>
>>155649611
Was this your first Shinkai movie? 5cm/s is getting mentioned due to being his most popular (well now second most popular) film and contains many moments that I will describe as "Shinkai" moments, which happen in all of his films.
Go ahead and watch 5wallpapers/second you should still get the full experience.
>>
>>155649304
Thanks anon, you're cool. If you do go to Disney and I don't meet you, have fun.
>>
>>155649611
Just watch 5cm/s. Knowing the ending doesn't ruin it. The ending isn't even very important.
>>
Your Name > Garden of Words > Place Promised > 5cm/s > Voices > Cat

I still haven't seen Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below/
>>
>>155649943
>Your Name is 5cm/s upgraded to 24fps
Shinkai PC game when?
>>
>>155649995
>Watch 5cm/s having been told I'm supposed to feel something
>Not feeling shit
>Movie enters the third act and I'm still fine
>Enter: Those final moments
>That ending

Even knowing feels were coming I wasn't prepared
>>
>>155650005
Your Name > Promised Place > 5cm/s > Distant Star > Garden of Words
Cat isn't really comparable. I barely even remember what happened in Children Who Chase Voices so I guess that makes it last.
>>
>>155643556
>>155648854

I don't believe for a second you're constantly aware of the date. I bet if I asked all you cunts what the date was 90% of you would glance at the system time because nobody fucking remembers that shit.
>>
>>155650140
Personally I can't even remember the year consistently.
>>
>>155650005
For the endings : Your name > Fucking commercial Crossword > all
For the theme: Garden of Words > Place Promised in our early days > 5cm/s > Your name.
Haven't seen Cat, Daughter, and Children. Voice of a Distant star's story was all over the place so I didn't fully get it. Someday I will.
>>
>>155650177
*Crossroad. Fuck.
>>
>>155650140

>90% of you would glance at the system
No shit. That's the point.

I don't think it's a significant weakness in an otherwise amazing movie, though.

>>155650177
>>155650190

>Fucking commercial Crossroad
Nani?
>>
>>155650211
>No shit. That's the point.

No anon, the point is you trust what the machine tells you regardless of what thought you held before glancing over.
>>
>>155650211
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbNS_GKhPw
A commercial about some cram school.
>>
>>155650005
Dont

5cm/s > Voices of Star = Your Name > Garden of Words > Place Promised > Children > Cat

I'm biased since I somehow saw Voices of a Distant Star first and it completely changed the way I watch films, and 5cm/s just amplified it. but hey
>opinions
>>
>>155650140
I'm aware of what day of the week it is. And if you went to school thinking it was a Tuesday and you show up and everybody asks you what you're doing after school for the weekend, as an example, then you wonder what the hell is going on. Glance at the time? Yeah. On their phone. Exactly. They were looking right at it. I would notice it's not the day of the week I thought it was, even if I didn't remember the exact date.
>>
>>155650005
In my opinion:
5cm/s > Your Name > Cat Remake > Place Promised > Garden of Words > Voices > Original Cat > Children Who Chase
>>
>>155650252

I don't believe today's teenagers/young adults have gotten to the point where they have no intuitive cognizance of the month and year.

>>155650259

Well that commercial was comfy as fuck.

>>155650273

Fair enough. Interesting that it affected you so strongly.
Thread posts: 552
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.