[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /a/ think of this? I think it's one of the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: ff20130719a2a.jpg (240KB, 2000x1425px) Image search: [Google]
ff20130719a2a.jpg
240KB, 2000x1425px
What does /a/ think of this? I think it's one of the best Ghibli movies ever.
>>
>>155548781
He killed millions.
>>
>>155548781
Boring and shittily paced.
>>
>>155548781

>Miyazaki creates drama by announcing his retirement after every goddamn movie he makes
>The Wind Rises was supposed to be his actual final film (spoiler alert: he's currently working on a new feature film)
>Takahata, who had been silently in retirement for over a decade, comes back and BTFOs Miyazaki later that same year

How can Miyazaki ever recover?
>>
tombo kopoli did it better
>>
>>155548781
It's too slow and nothing happens.
>>155548824
They don't actually show anything so there's no impact.
>>
>>155551484
Kaguya wasn't even remotely as successful commercially and critically as Wind Rises, nice narrative you got there though.
>>
>>155551604
>It's too slow and nothing happens.
when you make arguments, make sure they can't also apply to hundreds of critically appraised film and literature.
>>
>>155548781
Miyazaki poured his heart and soul into the movie and when it was panned he went crazy. Don't blame him, if that happened to me I would probably be the same.
>>
>>155551336
>t. the moefag who likes slices of life with retarded characters
>>
>>155551484
>spoiler alert: he's currently working on a new feature film
oh really? neat
>>
>>155548781
I enjoyed it.
>>
File: millons.jpg (39KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
millons.jpg
39KB, 500x283px
>>155548824
*breathes in*

AAAAAAAAND MILLIONS!!!
>>
>>155548781
Agreed, I'm a big fan of his but I was legitimately surprised by how fucking good it was.
>>
>>155551484
Terrible post
>>
>>155548781
My personal favorite.

But then again it hit a nerve since I'm a pilot who also has a passion for the golden age of aviation and all the vintage warbirds.

My favorite Hollywood movie is The Right Stuff for example.
>>
The wind rises was a amazing and sad movie
>>
>>155552211
I should add, Its my personal favorite Ghibli movie, not favorite movie of all time. or even favorite anime movie of all time.
>>
>>155552266
Sad, but also uplifting, I thought. "We must try to live" as the poem goes.
>>
>>155551830
>critics
>an opinion that matters
Wew lad.

Classics are typically shit and unpopular for a reason.
>>
>>155552266
The last scene hits you hard, it's so unlike the rest of Ghibli movies.
>>
>>155552388
Anno's broken "thank you" at the end fucks me up. I know it's controversial, but Anno as Jiro is one of my favourite castings in anime.
>>
>>155552362
who are you going to listen to, the scientist, or the guy with the tinfoil hat shouting in the streets about how 9/11 was orchestrated by bush? Some opinions are far more valuable than others and that's a fact, not an opinion.
>>
>>155552630
to be fair, Scientist deal facts.

Also if the scientist was a biologist and the guy in the tinfoil hat was a plumber I know who i'd ask about my leaky toilet.

But in the end he's right art is subjective. Critics may be able to appraise objective technical aspects of a movie but whether its good or not is entirely up to the viewer.

That said I do believe his opinion is wrong. but that is also just my own personal opinion.
>>
>>155548781
one of miyazakis worst films. almost as bad as ponyo
>>
>>155553064
Pretty poor taste you have there, anon.
>>
File: 1485906582564.jpg (72KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485906582564.jpg
72KB, 720x720px
>>155553064

>disliking Ponyo

Fight me.
>>
>>155552305
Knowing the original ending made me laugh at the end. Miyazaki almost did some really dumb shit.

they basically said you must die instead of live.
>>
>>155553200
Yeah, I heard that. So glad they went with the ending we have now, I don't like pessimistic stuff like that.
>>
>>155553009
what's the point of criticism then? Professional critics are there to tell us what is and isn't worth our money before we waste it. I mean I suppose when everyone just torrents anime no one really cares what they watch since it's all free and the only thing you can waste is time. Still, I'd like to think there's a bigger difference between Mars of Destruction and a Ghibli movie than just "someone's opinion". It's pretty clear to me that there is an undeniable gap in quality there.
>>
>>155553287
There honestly is no point.

reviews that don't judge are honestly a better way of doing.

Some people just want to be told what sort of opinion to have and so they align themselves with critics that they agree with but once you understand a medium its best to be your own critic.
>>
>>155553440
how do film professors grade their students? Or writing teachers grade their students? Can't we just grade by those metrics? The point of objectivity isnt to tell everyone to agree with you, but point out the technical prowess something has.
>>
>>155553758
Judging technical proficiency with tools is one thing. but when you're asking the general public for an opinion like in OPs post, you're just asking for personal opinion.

And many times someones taste can differ from what would be considered technically good.
>>
>>155553982
for example, is there any situation where a character with development would be worse than the exact same character without development? Some viewers may not give a shit if a character is developed, sure, but could you ever imagine that same person disliking the same character with more development, more than the same character without the development? Isn't there objectivity there without the viewer noticing it? If you've never seen a developed character before you don't know what you're missing. So aren't opinions on art, rather lack of standards/experience?
>>
>>155548781

I have huge boners for stories taken from real historic time frames, and the movie made me love planes, at least while I was watching it.

I don't particularly like the ending, It felt glazed over.

That part where the thought Police were looking for him and they simply moved him to another building and we never hear about that conflict ever again, though minor, was another flat part of the movie.
>>
>>155553009
>to be fair, Scientist deal facts.

I used to have a lot of faith in science too. Politics ruined that too.
>>
>>155551484
Just watched both films for the first time a few days ago.
Overall I liked Kaguya better but The Wind Rises is the one I want to see again more. Not sure what exactly to make of that. I guess the former did a better job or creating an emotional connection but the latter is so dense that I feel like I'll notice things I didn't the first time.
>>
>>155554721
Kaguya-hime actually felt kinda cold to me, at least relative to older Takahata films, or any Miyazaki. I guess it's more the fault of the source material, but the emotional climax didn't feel satisfying.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.