[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

opinion on ghost in the shell live action? opinion on live action

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 18

File: images.jpg (39KB, 299x424px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
39KB, 299x424px
opinion on ghost in the shell live action?

opinion on live action in general? trash right?
>>
>>155467132
I wanted to leave the cinema 2 times so far. Once was Star Wars Episode 3 the other one was Ghost in the Shell. At least Episode 3 had one interesting character, GitS just looked pretty.
>>
stop making fucking threads about it. everyone fucking hates it. lurk more.
>>
>>155467132
Discussion of live action media belongs on television and film
>>
>>155467132

It's trash, sure, but not as trash as the original movie.
>>
>>155467336

/a/ rule #4 nigger
>>
I watched it saturday. In my opinion it looked really pretty and was competently filmed, but it was boring. The story was uninteresting and predictable and the action scenes were short and unexciting.
It felt like they wanted to do a middle ground between the philosophy-oriented Oshii film and a futuristic action movie but it failed at both. Hell, even the people in the theatre where I watched the film was bored.
>>
>>155467543
Was it just me or did Scarlet look like she doesn't know how to fire a fucking gun when she killed the Geisha?
>>
>>155467612
No idea; I was too distracted seeing how Major Scarlett was outsmarted and beaten by nearly everyone.
>>
>>155467612
scarlet is the worst actor I can think of
>>
>>155467132
They basically strip mined the entire GITS franchise for anything they thought would have Hollywood appeal, then on realizing they had a confused mess on their hands, tried to cover it up with star power and flashy visual effects. Thankfully, Americans saw through this and it flopped.

I just worry that either it complely bombs and the Hollywood execs decide that anime adaptations can never work, or it does AMAZING... in China and then we get nothing but china-pandering flashy garbage like Michael Bay Transformers movies.
>>
File: he is.jpg (92KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
he is.jpg
92KB, 1200x675px
He is... the Edge Of Tomorrow
>>
It could have been a lot worse. Stupid script, dumbed down story. But it had some good stuff that almost make up for the dumb shit, Chief Aramaki was great, Batou was great. Major was okay but most of her dialogue was horrible, but I can't really knock ScarJo when her script was horrible. Obviously the visuals were gorgeous. Villain sucked, some weird mishmash of all the gits villains while not really doing any of them well. Tons of GitS fanservice, like TONS. A lot of details only fans would notice.

7 / 10 Does come anywhere near of holding a candle to Oshii's film, and nobody was expecting it too. Shallow and stupid, but competent and entertaining. It must of done something right, because it really made me want to binge-watch all the GitS stuff again. Could have been a LOT worse.
>>
>>155467881
Wasn't this film an actually decent adaptation that no one watched?
>>
>>155467918
>7
ign pls go
>>
>>155467965
It was alright.
>>
>>155467918
>Chief Aramaki was great
I have to disagree with that. He had one amazing scene, but every other time he was on screen, he just seemed so bored. Like he really didn't want to be there.
>>
>>155467918
Sorry anon but I vehemently disagree.
The "don't send rabbits to hunt a fox" bit was fun; same with the scenes copied from the 1995 movie, but that's it. That film wasn't entertaining at all.
I'm not one of those "my childhood was raped" individuals and I don't really mind if Hollywood decides to make live-action adaptations of japanese series, but still I found the movie bad because it was bad.
>>
>>155467918
>Major was okay
How? She was the worst thing about it.
Not because of ScarJo, but simply because all about Motoko's character was completely shat on.
She was nothing like the Major.

Batou was the only decent thing about the movie, other than the visuals.
>>
>>155468764
>>155467918
Her walking style seemed so fucking stupid.
>>
>>155468135
That sounds like Aramaki to me.

>>155468154
Fair enough. I hesitate to even call the movie good, I just know that I was surprisingly entertained by it. Up there I meant to say "Does NOT come anywhere near to holding a candle to Oshii's film." I think might have just enjoyed the film because it sprinkled a lot of GitS lore into the movie.

Let's talk about how bottomlessly stupid the script is. First lines of the movie

>YOU'RE A GHOST... IN A SHELL
Later
>BUT I'M NOT BUILT FOR DANCING

And did anyone else notice how literally no one but the Japanese-speaking character knew how to pronounce "Hanka"? They always called it "Hanker," even Hanka's own CEO.

I think I just shut my brain off and enjoyed it for what it was. It was hard to be disappointed when my expectations were so fucking low.
>>
>>155467381
He pissed away that (already poor) excuse with the second question.
>>
>>155467224
>one interesting character

you meant Sheev, right?
>>
its a 6/10 and im being generous about it
>>
>>155467965
Noone actually knew about it being an adaptation. They just fucked up marketing, the anime adaptation thing didn't hit it.
>>
The Ghost in the Shell live-action has flopped and I'm grateful. Every worthless piece of shit involved in the creation of that failure is now forever written off, if you ask me. Hollywood has committed a cardinal sin. Their arrogant, elitist and self-entitled attitudes have spawned a sacrilege to classic anime. I will proceed to boycott and ignore anything even remotely related to this abortion of a film and those who brought it into existence can fuck right off.

The gas chamber for ScarJo simply because her hideous frame and butterface could not possibly have done Motoko Kusanagi's beauty justice. Her acting was stilted and hollow. Even the philosophical inquiries were way off. They literally fucked everything up.

Lastly, Mamoru Oshii can slit his wrists with any of the old razors that were sent to him from angry fans pisses at him for insulting other works. He was supportive of this fucking shitpile of a movie and that is where he failed miserably. From now on, I never touch a filthy Hollywood adaptation of an anime unless they take their heads out of their fucking asses and do it correctly. Paramount, DreamWorks, Reliance, Amblin and Arad can all go fucking drink Drano and die miserably. ScarJo can go get raped over and over again in a Russian gulag. This shit will not fucking fly, and from the looks of it, this travesty of a film will not make its budget back. If they dare make another, I sincerely hope some lives involved get cancelled out.

Ghost has been used to wipe quite a lot of asses, and that is unforgivable.
>>
>>155467132

It's a competent but mediocre cyberpunk action film that largely misses the point of the 1995 movie. (though arguably the story is more thematically a mashup between 2nd Gig and Arise and the Hanka Ghostdubbing arc of the manga)

It isn't actually that bad. I would say it's actually a notch above most of the generic blockbuster shit that critics go crazy over. It's far better than basically any marvel movie I've seen.

There are some major letdowns though.

The movie opens on a sour note not using the GITS theme during the shelling sequence.

The Whitewashing/origin storyline came off as on the nose. I didn't care about the whitewashing shit, but the way its handled in the film is bad and awkward.

Feels like there was a lot cut from the final act as you see the team together to take on Hanka... and then you just see Aramaki roam into the office of the CEO and beat takeshi the fuck out of him. Apparenly 30/40 mins were cut before it hit cinemas, so maybe it was from this?

I would give it a solid 5/10. Where say, Guardians of the Galaxy would get a 4 and most marvel/capeshit movies would get like a 3 or 2.

>>155467766
>Thankfully, Americans saw through this and it flopped.

Lol wut? Movies waaaaay worse than this like all Marvel movies dominate the box office and they are literally copy-paste formulaic as fuck films as they get.

This movie would have flopped even if it was a critical darling I suspect. It's just not something the public was interested in.
>>
>>155469933
The coughing android.
>>
They should have made a Pandora in the crimson shell movie instead, casting Jennifer Lawrence as Nene and Adriana Grande as Clarion
>>
>>155467918
I'm actually with ya. You more or less summed it up. The Chief, Batou and the Major were the stars of the show.

The villain was flatter then an DFC (which was why he was terrible, why was he "herka-durk-durk I'm just a dick!)

It was alright, Something I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for. I've never seen the first GITS movie, so I can't compare. It was competent, entertaining, and one of the most beautiful movies I've seen.

A 7/10 , maybe a C- , definitely better then what we thought it was going to be. Not great, but alright.

And like you, I wanna binge on the franchise myself again, I just need to dig up said things first.
>>
Far from trash, but also a long way from really good.

Visually a 11/10, but the plot was boring hollywood garbage.
>>
I have to say that as awful as this movie was, the sets/environments are fucking -iconic-. When people mention this movie in ten years they will be gushing about the city with just side notes about how bad the script was.
>>
>>155468904
>First lines of the movie

That is such spoonfeeding bullshit. What a shame.
>>
File: 1490416463791.gif (150KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1490416463791.gif
150KB, 250x188px
>GITS main theme used in the credits and nowhere else.
>>
El fantasma en la concha.
>>
>>155472029
wasnt it at the beginning? maybe a remix?
>>
>>155467132
>opinion on ghost in the shell live action?
Pretty much as good as I thought it'd be. Just okay.

>opinion on live action in general? trash right?
Trash.
>>
Will the chinese market save this from completely flopping?
>>
>>155467132
>Waaaah......It's not made by Island chinks so it's not good and this I'll shit on it on the internet
>>
>>155467918
>7/10 out of anything with bland plant persona ScarJew
FUCK OFF SHILL CUNT
>>
File: 1491373279937.jpg (236KB, 963x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491373279937.jpg
236KB, 963x1024px
Why was Scarlett doing the virgin walk the entire time?
>>
>>155467132
I want to see it even though I know I'll be disappointed because so much of criticism has been "muh whitewashing" and I feel like that isn't giving it a fair shot
>>
I saw it my friends love it...i thought it was ok...I think the critics would have given it better ratings if the the lead was Asian though and i do agree Major should be Asian. It's a movie you download for free on the internet when you have nothing else to do.
>>
>>155473130
go back to your containment board
>>
>>155467132

I went in with low expectations. I was thinking as long as it was better than Michael Bay's Transformers in execution and treated the source material better than the Hollywood Dragonball movie, then I could at least deal with it as a sci-fi action flick.

Scarlet all hunched over and stomping around like an idiot whenever she had to walk somewhere was kind of distracting, but other than that I didn't really see anything I hated. It wasn't a great movie but it wasn't bad, either. I thought it was OK.
>>
Wasn't trash, but it wasnt great. It was a typical sci-fi flick. Action was kinda boring, but the visuals for the most part were fantastic
>>
>>155467132
It had nice visuals, but everything else sucked
>>
Imagine a shittier Edge of Tomorrow without the charm.
>>
>>155467881
I hated those suits, just give them full warhammer 40k body suits ffs.
>>
File: 1417194806903.jpg (44KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
1417194806903.jpg
44KB, 453x604px
So I fucked off from watching it, and watched the actual 1995 movie instead, which was a rollercoaster of a ride.

But I heard in the past that the GitS series is shit or something.
Is this true? Or is it something only due to SAC2 or whatever that recent one was?
>>
>>155474851
They're referring to Arise, which was a crapshoot. SAC is great all around.
>>
>>155467132
MODS
>>
>>155471649
>there are people who thought this was a movie about ghosts haunting crabs.
>>
>>155467132
What about that Filipino live-action movie remake of the World Masterpiece Series version of Princess Sarah?

Only heard about it on TV Tropes since I am a huge fan of World Masterpiece Theater (especially Anne of Green Gables) but I never saw the live-action movie since I can't a find subtitled version and it was only shown in the Philippines.
And this movie was made before the time that almost all Filipino movies get English subtitles and they were desperate for foreign markets to watch their films.
>>
File: GitS.jpg (40KB, 245x260px) Image search: [Google]
GitS.jpg
40KB, 245x260px
>>155467132
I enjoyed it

I never expected it to come even close to the first animated movie, but hey, that's fine. I kinda liked how they played with our expectations here and there, with Major's "real" identity and her relationship with Kuze. The movie really gave me the feel they at least bothered to understand the source material, even if they dumbed it down. But then again, dumbing it down depends on perspective i guess. Anime, manga and movies already differ in tone and how seriously they get themselves. Can you imagine the kawaii uguu~ tachikomas in the first Oshii film? Of course not. So this movie really isn't any different, it's just another take

I didn't like how sappy the Major could get with her two moms and Kuze, but then again, i didn't particularly like the origins/Kuze subplot in SAC either. Simply in both cases the things i liked were enough to make me ignore those i didn't

Batou was a bro. Loved how Haramaki didn't hush a single English word. Lack of nipples aside it was nice to see they didn't shy away from showing the Major butt naked so often. The scenes recreated from the first movie were pretty cool

My biggest complaint is the villain was too generic. I'm not even talking about his motives, those were fine although simple, the guy himself was just too... nothing in particular

Shame this won't get any sequel i guess, i was curious to see where they would head after this origins story was done. But i guess cyberpunk will always be niche, star power or not
>>
Hey sup moTOko
My nigga toGUsa does not even use a revolver
So much worse action scenes and generic state against supervillian plot. Fuck them.
At least it had cool aesthetics.

Scarjo being a midget needs to pose herself like a man to appear confident and 'threatening'.
>>
>>155476614
>apear confident
>get tased by generic bar thug no. 2
>and some weird guy in the cellar
>and then abducted by Hanka henchmen to be executed, without even trying to resist
Apart from the linear plot and removal of philosophical aspects my biggest issue with to movie was that the major is way to fucking weak.

Also they should've used the original song for the shelling sequence.

Movie wasn't as bad or as good as it could've been. Enjoyable but still disappointing because of wasted potential. Visuals are great.
>>
>>155467132
Loved it.
>>
File: making of a cyborg.jpg (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
making of a cyborg.jpg
66KB, 500x500px
>>155467132
Didn't feel like Ghost in the Shell at all.

Major especially felt completely out of character.
She was way too weak and felt like a damsel in distress way too often. Major should fucking never be seen as a damsel in distress, with zero control of the situation.
For fuck's sake, she got taken out by goons with TASERS twice, and had hard time standing up to some roided up club thug.

Kuze was pretty ok I guess, and far more interesting antagonist than the "lol ebil corporate boss guy".
The backstory they came up with for Major was hamfisted and cliched, and failed to make me care about it at all.

Also, the biggest fucking crime in that movie was how they DIDN'T PLAY MAKING OF A CYBORG THEME IN THE FUCKING SCENE THEY STOLE FROM THE MOVIE.

THEY PLAYED IT IN THE FUCKING CREDITS.
THE FUCKING CREDITS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0z08OpmEPc
>>
File: fu57Xy6.jpg (2MB, 2835x4252px) Image search: [Google]
fu57Xy6.jpg
2MB, 2835x4252px
One of the few good live-action adaptations of anime.
>>
>>155472172
maybe a remix? felt like a new theme paying homage really, the new theme gave me a little anxiety because I kept waiting for that second "aaaaaaa" that never came
>>
>>155473921
Fuck off with your shitty /r9k/ memes. I think this film would have been far worse. Fights were decent (no memorable though) and the end fight was pretty awful. The world looked really cool with all the right Blade Runner vibes. I think there was the right a mount of philosophy bullshit too. Kind of mediocre but didn't piss me off or make me look at my watch.
>>
>>155467965
Was a pretty solid movie. Not great but deserved more attention than it got.
>>
They turned a perfectly profound story into a mediocre 'hollywood-esque' one.

Fucking cringed when they revealed she was previously named motoko.
>>
>>155475561
>Filipino

It's shit.

You can find it on Youtube, I think, if you want to watch it yourself.

There's also the loose live-action adaptation made by the Japs. Changed Becky to a boy so they can have romance lul.
>>
File: 1457924667647.png (418KB, 721x723px) Image search: [Google]
1457924667647.png
418KB, 721x723px
All i know is i want to fugg that shell
>>
>>155479427
only cybersex, doesn't have the required hole. This one doesn't even have nipples
>>
File: -1gd0LYHJFBx.jpg (49KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
-1gd0LYHJFBx.jpg
49KB, 650x433px
>>155479616
It has a hole alright

Not that a hole is necessary to rub a rod
>>
>>155467132
all live action is shit

no exceptions
>>
Serious question. Why didn't Aramaki speak English?
>>
>>155479926
Can Takeshi even speak fluent English?

But it adds to the atmosphere imo
>>
This might seem exceedingly weeaboo, but I actually want to watch it dubbed in japanese. At least it'll sound like GiTS, even if it doesn't really look like it.

Even the world looks like some sort of hyper turbo blade runner rather than gits that more very near future.
>>
>>155479926
to remind people that japanese people were still a thing, despite actually being set in japan.

It's sort of fucked that the only credited japanese actress is never seen on screen though.
>>
>>155480081
The mom wasn't Japanese?
>>
>>155480205
she was
>>
>>155467132
Felt like the director actually knew the source material or at least bothered to watch the movies and maybe SAC.

But then the completely horrible attempts at philosphy that fell flat constantly even if some of them were almost carbon copies of the 1995 film.

Too bad the bad guy was straight out of a bond film, the spider tank scene sucked ass and the whole origin plot was awful.

Batou feeding dogs was nice tho, and overall the movie had beautiful effects.

4/10. Barely qualifies as entertainment.
>>
>>155480205
>>155480296
I was talking about Rila Fukushima never seen in flesh on screen, as she was only used as the model for the geishas and I think voiced one of them.

I don't know if the mother was credited or not.
>>
>>155467132
Complete shit, especially considering the original. Gunplay and action were about as generic as you can get. Acting was completely horrible. I was cringing two minutes in when Hanka's CEO and the doctor started arguing about whether the major was a weapon. Awful forced dialogue to try and push babby's first existential narrative.

Story and character development were dogshit, I'm pretty sure it's never made clear who the major is, what section 9 is, why it exists, how these characters are together, etc. They tried to stitch together puppetmaster and the two main arcs of the TV series and failed completely. Major is an emotional wreck and it doesn't make sense why she's in her position. I completely fail to see how you're supposed to discern the motivations of the characters without just know all this contextual stuff beforehand from other GITS works.

Visuals were aight, sometimes. The city felt overilluminated at times and seemed more like a homage to Akira rather than GITS. Certainly the actual scene composition wasn't particularly good. They did a real half ass job of recreating scenes from the 1995 movie, not sure why they forced it so hard. They completely missed the point of those scenes, ignoring the philosophy, world building, character development, and atmosphere they're supposed to create. Chase scene was crap, tank scene was crap, invisible assassination scene was crap, making of a robot was crap, etc.

tldr: SJ is a shit actor, whoever directed this is a shit director, and they completely missed the whole point of GITS as a franchise. expected/10
>>
>>155467132
It's shit.
Day After Tomorrow was actually okay, though.
>>
>>155480694
>Chase scene was crap, tank scene was crap, invisible assassination scene was crap, making of a robot was crap, etc.
i disagree a bit, some of them were OK. The only one that really stuck out was the boat/diving scene, because they missed the point of that one entirely.
>>
>>155480736
Edge of Tomorrow, I meant.
>>
>>155471118
Very much this. All the shots of the city streets and skyline with floating holo ads were fucking gorgeous. I also liked the look of Batou's car and the corporate hitmen and the orange suit doctors with visors. The story was a pile of overcooked oatmeal.
>>
>>155467881
This was actually good though
>>
File: shou.jpg (69KB, 311x324px) Image search: [Google]
shou.jpg
69KB, 311x324px
>>155477533
If it makes you feel any better, the credits song was actually some kind of remix, but the first minute or so is the same as the third chant song (謠III Reincarnation). I actually think it would have been worse if they tried to use the original sound track at all, it would have felt even more like desecration rofl
>>
File: 1474563837277.png (288KB, 544x830px) Image search: [Google]
1474563837277.png
288KB, 544x830px
>>155467132
The only good thing about it is that it sucked enough performance wise for Hollywood to leave the franchise the fuck alone now.
>>
File: 1458889430845.jpg (366KB, 1280x1521px) Image search: [Google]
1458889430845.jpg
366KB, 1280x1521px
>>155467132
It was fairly trash.

They did one interesting thing, with Major infact losing her memory and being a different person before. That and the Major in this interaction was very young (like literally newborn) and very unsure of themselves. That was actually an interesting contrast.

Too bad they did absolutely fuck all with it an the movies is trash.
>>
>>155480918
Not really. It's breaking box office records on China
>>
>>155480753
IDK man, rewatch the chase scene from the 1995 movie. I remember the fighting at the end of the live action was really shitty and emotional in a way it never would be in the OG film.

Live: Dude gets to the end of the alleyway, sprays his bullets for no discernable reason, major gets really upset and spends ten minutes beating on him.

Anime: Dude gets to the end, is relieved, hears a noise and sprays instincitvely, wasting his bullets. Major is invisible and just watches him swing around like an idiot before taking him out like a pro. There's also spiel about how this guy is just another puppet and doesn't even know why he's doing what he's doing.

The chase scene in the anime paints Major and Batou as competent, shows off future tech, and highlights how much of a pawn this guy is. In the live action, it's basically just to have Major whack some dude on the ground for way too long. Similar story with the tank scene, which (in the anime) shows off how desperate Major is to get to the puppetmaster.
>>
>>155481089
Yup. Having literal whitewashing as a plot point was a good idea on itself.
>>
>>155467612
I thought the exact same thing.
>>
>>155467612
Was it just me, or did Scarlet look like she doesn't know how to fucking walk when she was walking places?
>>
>>155481120
that's true, but that doesn't mean the scene is complete trash. They still somewhat got the most important part, the guy with the implanted memories realizing he doesn't have a daughter, across. The meaning of the boat/diving scene was lost entirely.
>>
>>155480081
Did they credit the original Motoko who is seen without her face for like two seconds?
>>
>>155481284
Well, I guess I feel like they completely missed out on the contemplative atmosphere of these scenes, which to me is the entire point. The daughter memories thing was also not a part of this scene in the live action (iirc), and in the original movie that's a completely seperate character. I felt like the purpose of the scene in the live action was to recreate a scene that existed in the anime movie, rather than actually being meaningful for the narrative they had built up to that point. I guess you could argue it introduces the character who has false memories, but there are loads of other ways to introduce characters, and clearly they weren't too concerned about being faithful. I think the director was just like "yeah, i LOVE this scene from the original, let's remake it" or just trying to grab at fan's tingly bits to increase marketability.
>>
>>155481239
She was acting robotic. When she sits down at her moms place for example she rested her arms next to her legs like they were dead limbs since she didn't need them at the moment

I don't think it was necessary but i can see why they made her do that
>>
>>155481715
I dislike that however, they shouldn't have changed so much about her character and the background of the world. Her distinguishing feature isn't that she's the first cyborg, full body prostethics are rather common. It is that she went full prostethic at a really young age, and that she's incredibly competent. Thats why she works at section 9 and is deemed irreplaceable. Its like they invented a new character for the movie, not based it around what is already established in the franchise.
>>
8/10, better than the reviews
>>
who here watched it without having seen the original gits?
>>
>>155467132
ITS FUCKING ROBOCOP
>>
It felt like a bunch of slapped together bits from the series that dont really fit together just to say they watched the anime. The climax just kinda happened without much build-up, the majors backstory and character arc was hollywood bullshit to make her "special," and Scarjo's acting was horrible by her own failings as much as bad directing decisions. She acted like a robot in the wrong ways at the wrong moments and and it just highlighted the wooden line delivery. Motoko's always been confident and matter of fact in her general demeanor, but in the movie they translated it as emotionless and monotone. Only positives I have are the art direction on the geishas and I thought Batou and Aramaki were done well. The music in the opening pissed me off too, it felt like one big cock tease every time you hear the vocals start and expect to hear the original vocals to "making a cyborg" but then it just goes back to the instrumentals, the repeated expectation and dissapointment was driving me nuts. They should have made it sound more like its own song rather than a long intro to the original that never gets there. But at least it got me in the right mood for the rest of the movie, complete with a final fuck you when they played it in the credits.
>>
>>155483281
Anyone who's a fucking pleb
>>
>>155484023
i just feel like those who did might rate it better, when i watched it there were 3 girls in front of me that seemed to enjoy the film, said they liked it at the end, i highly doubt they watch anime let alone the original movie
>>
>>155484096
probably, as a good amount of the criticism against the film is based on that they completely missed the target in regards to the franchise's already-established elements.. What they ended up with is shit anyway, but those people won't be nearly as offended as someone who knows the series.
>>
>we put a ghost in your shell
>>
>>155477566
You can always count on the Master.
>>
>>155476483
>My biggest complaint is the villain was too generic
It bothers me on an ideological level that the inherent corruption and unethical conduct of the Hanka corporation was 'solved' by shooting a generic henchman figure. That's the ending of Robocop without the satirical awareness, or maybe I didn't recognise the nuance?
>>
>>155467224

Star Wars 3 is actually the best prequel though
>>
>>155485721
Only because it ties everything together and has pretty fun action scenes.
All of the prequels are shit for their own reasons.
>>
>>155485631
Solving the situation like that was "legit" because he acted as an henchman but was also one of the higher-ups of the company pulling the strings

But yeah, again, it was simplistic
>>
File: Keiji aka Cage.png (198KB, 469x435px) Image search: [Google]
Keiji aka Cage.png
198KB, 469x435px
>>155467881
Both Cage/keiji was fine, but, holy sh*t anon, ghost was shit as fuck.
>>
>>155468793
Dude can't you fucking see it?
Scarjo is walking this way to get the awesome angles on her face for cameras that are facing her and close ups.
The fucking camera director never told her they would take the back walking camera instead/ Lazy director should have done a second shot with her walking normally. How can she walk funny with such a perfect body? It is on purpose.
>>
File: 1484258949183.jpg (46KB, 325x326px) Image search: [Google]
1484258949183.jpg
46KB, 325x326px
I just people would recognize some of the good aspects of the film instead of automatically writing off as complete trash. I went in with the lowest expectations possible after seeing the reviews and came out enjoying it for the most part.

Shit plotline with Major though.

>>155484096
I feel like people who weren't fans would actually dislike it more. Had enough fanservice for me to be mildly interested.
>>
>>155484096
I watched the two Oshii anime right before going to cinema for the live-action, and it made me appreciate the film much more.

I also downgraded my rating for GitS 1995 since it really wasn't as great as I remembered it. And Innocence was pretty shit.
>>
File: definitive shirow.jpg (1MB, 1269x2024px) Image search: [Google]
definitive shirow.jpg
1MB, 1269x2024px
>>155473984
>much of criticism has been "muh whitewashing" and I feel like that isn't giving it a fair shot
Shirow had always believed Motoko was Japanese, but drew her in the manga style.
Even this movie says she was a Japanese girl at the time of the accident.
>>
>>155481120
I have the faint and ridiculous hope that this 3DPD Hollywood film might inspire someone to dl the 1995 GitS anime movie.
>>
>>155486648
>And Innocence was pretty shit.
Boo, anon. Boo.
>>
>>155479995
>Can Takeshi even speak fluent English?
He doesn't speak English in real life. There was a translator always near when his scenes were filmed to relay what the director was saying.
>>
>>155467881
Was this any good? I read the manga, and apart from the central idea being interesting it was honestly pretty bland.
>>
>>155486763
It probably will. Comics sales show people have also been buying the original manga a lot these weeks

>>155486626
This is pretty much my position. Maybe I'm just starved for cyberpunk, but i enjoyed the watch while still recognizing the problems. And yes, the fanservice was good, i liked the recreated scenes. Except the fight in the water. In that one they went overboard with the slow-mo and sparkling sounds

>>155486910
That explains it. But i honestly wouldn't want it otherwise
>>
>>155480772
Batou's car was a 1976 Lotus Esprit, not modified much style wise.
>>
>>155486973
It is pretty fucking cyber-punky, it wasn't you being starved or anything.
>>
>>155487052
Of course. I meant there's so little cyberpunk around (especially big productions) that i could probably accept any crap as long as the aesthetics are right
>>
>>155467132
Its extremely nice to look at. Has some fucking gorgeous backgrounds and scenes in it. Plus the music is nice. Otherwise its trash. Its above your average live action anime adaptation trash like Dragonball Evolution. However its at best, mediocre and thats mostly cause the damn good soundtrack and visuals carry it.
>>
>>155486691
Why would that be in such an obnoxious place?
>>
>>155470085
Give Oshii a break. He was only being positive about the remake since he was just trying to remain professional in interviews with the media and so that the remake's filmmakers could save face.
>>
Saw it about an hour ago. Honestly what everyone says about the plot is true, its pretty mundane and boring. However, I still think it was worth the £6.80 simply because of the cinematography. The shots of the city were done well it looked impressive, the fight scenes where also done pretty well imo, for example the water fight bit. However, I don't really watch films that much so despite it being impressive to me, my opinions might not actually reflect the actual impressiveness of the shots. Wouldn't watch again but it killed a couple hours and made me leave the house.

P.S My enjoyment of things is heavily based of visuals and sound, like even if an Anime is shit ill like it if the visuals and sound are good like Guilty Crown.
>>
It's an okay movie, but a terrible Ghost in the Shell movie.
>>
>>155489214
You must masturbate to aria then.
>>
>>155467132
It stinks
>>
>>155489214
no idea about cinematography and if what they did there was good but the visuals certainly were cyberpunk eyeporn of the finest sort.
>>
It's thankfully a mediocre (but not horrible) adaptation, so the fact that it tanked will make studios think it's because anime is not profitable no matter the quality of the work.
>>
>>155489316
Same, but the shot that was going over the city near the start looked sick imo. Some cinema god will probably smite me down for my insolent opinions but whatever I enjoyed it.
>>
>>155467132
Yes trash
>>
>>155489281
Pretty much
>>
>>155489491
Not that i'm judging though, i also care a lot more about visuals and a good OST than anything else.

In this case, the horrible dialogue broke my inmersion too much to let it pass.
>>
Horrible dialogue, they threw away strong independent major that the entire team relies on to the major relies on their strength.
Also the major never let her emotions run wild like a child like she does in the very beginning when she camos after taking out all the geishas
>>
>>155467132
All live action is great, that's /a/'s official stand and the opinion that you should share
>>
>>155489348
If china is really saving it we might be out of luck
>>
>>155467132
I haven't wanted to walk out of a theatre so bad in years
>>
>>155489605
Shingeki no Kyojin live action was great wasn't it.
>>
>>155486929
yeah it was okay.

Action was pretty solid.

I read the manga after the movie and preferred the movie 100%
>>
>>155467976
what? something wrong with 7 being the average/passing grade?

did you never take highschool or college where 70-75% is considered BARELY passed?

dont be so retarded, anon
>>
>>155489281
Aria is mediocre.
>>
There is nothing of substance but gun fights the first 30 minutes. It is only after that the film starts to sort of unravel and get more interesting. I genuinely felt sorry the villain robot or whatever with the stutter. The stutter on the Asian mom was uncomfortable. I think the ending would've been much better if Major linked up and there wasn't that cheesy narration.

I got free tickets to another movie cause the 3D messed up though so I'm happy.
>>
>>155489678
AOTS last season was 3D... Rethink your life.
>>
>>155490670
Rakugo was 2D.
>>
>>155490670
Konosuba was 2D anon.
>>
>>155490846
>>155491095
lolz
>>
>>155481239
butt enhancements
>>
I laughed out loud when I realised movie Motoko had to die to become a 'product' in hands of Hanka, just like Major from the original movie had to be killed off and replaced by Scarlett Johansson for the sake of making your typical Hollywood movie.

Backgrounds and special effects were pretty good, everything else was just bad.
>>
>>155467918
3/10 at best AT BEST
>>
What really struck me with the movie was how fucking HORRIBLE scarjos posture is
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.