[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Maidragon" feels like a foil to "Flying Witch."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: 1490800101405.jpg (176KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490800101405.jpg
176KB, 1920x1080px
"Maidragon" feels like a foil to "Flying Witch."

I don't want to draw a 1:1 comparison, but I see some similarities and inverses: the two are very much SoL series with respective magical gimmicks, but they kind of operate on polar frequencies. FW is mellow through and through with a few little peaks per episode to keep people captivated by the magical goings-on in the story's world. Maidragon favors over-the-top shenanigans, but the animated adaption seems to slip in periods of calm to break up the action and allow viewers to digest the bits of character development that occasionally happen.

I remember how well received FW was here on /a/. Which formula do you think works better for a slice of life? Maidragon or Flying Witch? Which one sets itself up for better character development? Better character interaction?
>>
>>155405823
Except Flying Witch was good
>>
Maidragon doesn't make me fall asleep like Flying Witch, at least.
>>
I got a lot more laughs out of Maiddragon, not to say I didn't enjoy Flying Witch
>>
>>155405823
Both are terrible.
>>
>>155406017
you're terrible
>>
>>155405982
why not?
>>
>>155405823
Please, Maidragon isn't trash but Flying witch is way better, and Chinatsu is a better loli.
>>
>>155405823
Maid Dragon is garbage.
>>
>>155405823
>Which formula do you think works better for a slice of life? Maidragon or Flying Witch? Which one sets itself up for better character development? Better character interaction?
Which one has more comfort.
>>
>>155405823

so this is autism in its true form
>>
>>155405823
Those 2 aren't alike at all
>>
Isn't Flying Witch more wholesome than Maid Dragon?
>>
>>155406266
Where do you think we are?
>>
Dropped this after drunk party scene.
Don't like anime targeted for degenerates
>>
I think it's amusing to see it as a behind-the-scenes look at a battle harem anime, where Shouta is the beta MC surrounded by a gaggle of hot magical girls. Just imagine what series is like from his perspective:

>Shouta-kun is just your average school boy. But he has a magical secret, he's actually from a family of mages! One day, while performing his magical studies, he accidentally summoned a dragon in the form of a beautiful blond woman! Now she insists on living in his house, and she has a horde of dragon friends in tow. Will his peaceful school life ever return? Or does this spell the beginning of Armageddon?

Of course we, as the audience, know this is all a delusion, and Shouta is just a side character in a SOL comedy. But he doesn't know that, he thinks he is the main character of his own life.
>>
File: 1489656780356.jpg (197KB, 1824x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1489656780356.jpg
197KB, 1824x1026px
>>155405823
Whichever that isn't over an over the top ecchi than necessary for the purpose of boosting sales but ended up selling less than 3000 anyway
>>
>>155407573
You need to be 18+ to post here.
>>
>>155405823
An actual intelligent thread thank fuck
>>
>>155406163
blown the fuck out
>>
>>155406266
>a thread that isn't waifu wars or bitching
>has a semblance of an intelligent thought put behind it
lol such autism
>>
10/10 garbage thread
would post again
>>
>>155407704
Maidragon was pretty in line with the tone of the source material, and the adaption isn't even covering the most scintillating bits either. Also, every series featuring majority females has its fair share of fan-generated sexualization regardless of intended audiences or tone.
>>
>>155405823
Flying Witch was comfier.
>>
>>155407704
>less than 3000

Will ever stalkerposters learn?
Of course not, why am I even asking.
>>
>>155409472
>muh kyoanus shop sales
Kill yourself.
>>
>>155408014
OP seems fine, but certain posters here are still fucking dumb.
>>
>>155405823
>Which one sets itself up for better character development?
I would say that they both lend themselves fairly equally to the opportunity for character development, just how the respective authors would go about showing or expressing it would be different.

As for which formula works better, on the one hand, I'd say that it largely depends on how the individual receives the emotion conveyed by the show, but on the other hand, I think that Flying Witch had better sales number, which implies a certain amount of popularity or success on a large-scale.

I do feel that comparing the two, while they may have several similarities, is perhaps not entirely appropriate. I couldn't exactly tell you why I feel that way, beyond the notion that Flying Witch feels like a 'pure' SoL series, while Maidragon feels more like a comedic SoL. While they are both in the same general genre of slice of life, what they are aiming to achieve is, in some manner, different. Even the implementation of magical gimmicks feels different between the two series. In Flying Witch the magical aspects of it felt more 'natural,' and felt more like something that was meant to inspire curiosity and wonder, while Maidragon's magical gimmicks felt more like a medium by which to convey the pure outlandishness of a given situation.
>>
>>155409512
Dude it sold over 3k already without the kyoani shop.
>>
I enjoyed Maid Dragon but since it's Kyoani I think I have to hate it, so I'm gonna say I enjoy Flying Witch more.
>>
>>155409680
Maidragon and Flying Witch are pretty close in sales.
>>
>>155409834
What's your vendetta against kyoani?
>>
>>155409922
Truth be told, I probably only remember Flying Witch as doing well sales-wise because it was in a terrible season for sales, unless my memory is fucking with me. I generally don't bother with sales threads because the shows I enjoy every season always do very poorly, so mentioning sales was a dumb move on my part.

If that's the case, then I'll probably stand by the first half of that mini-paragraph and just go with the idea that whichever formula works best is ultimately up to the individual watching to decide.
>>
>>155405823
Flying witch was comfy light hearted sol anime
With some humoristic touch and slow pacing, loveable character and still no S2

Maid dragon is an over the top sol anime with no sense of pacing, shitting on every classical fantasy mythology for the sake of otaku pandering but they want the dyke audience too so the character are just bland over sexualized jap trope characters, at least it was pretty

I vote flying witch all the way
Maid dragon is a poor excuse for furry content
>>
I honestly prefer Flying Witch. Maybe because it was more relatable? I did enjoy characters and their interactions more than Kobayashi, even though there's little character development and it's mostly very early on. It felt more natural and slower pace of the show was really relaxing.
>>
File: sleeping chinatsu.webm (472KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping chinatsu.webm
472KB, 1280x720px
God I wish I could watch Flying Witch for the first time again.
>>
>>155410598
>furry content
Bait..?
>>
>>155405823
Flying Witch didn't try to sell with pedobait and disgusting cowtits.
>>
File: 111.jpg (90KB, 560x620px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
90KB, 560x620px
>>155405823
Flying witch was boring as fuck, with characters somehow more generic than maidragon. I´m sure enjoying the latter more.
>>
>>155415015
Still sold more than sleep dragon.
>>
Flop Dragon sold more than Flopping Witch so it is better.
>>
Maid dragon was a lot more "animated" than flying witch was. The former was wackier and sillier, the second was more calm. I liked both but if I had to pick between the two, I think I liked Maid dragon more.
>>
Maid Dragon is a deconstruction of the isekai genre that transfers inhabitants of a fantastical fantasy world into a boring mundane world where they have to fit in and get themselves some waifus/husbandos.
>>
>>155405823
Maidragon is Kyoani so it has the advantage
>>
Maid dragon uses SoL as a means to show character growth. Flying Witch used it to worldbuild.
>>
Loved both, but Flying Witch had better butts.
>>
>>155410747
I want to see Chinatsu and Kanna making out
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.