[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost in the Shell anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Ghost in the Shell 1995.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost in the Shell 1995.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
The upcoming live-action film finally made me rewatch Ghost in the Shell. And in hindsight, the anime is far worse than I remembered it from over a decade ago. Now, let's ignore the quality of the art and soundtrack, as there is little to debate and it still holds up, save for the shitty CGI that is a product of its time.

As usual, it's the writing where things go south. The political subplot introduced in the beginning doesn't matter for last hour of the film. The workings of the society are underexplored, even though we follow a police force that often operates more like terrorists than actual police. There is very little room for character development, with Batou getting the most. The supposedly philosophical bits are the same kind of transhumanist drivel we've seen before in countless sci-fi and mostly lack real-world relevance. The plot is chock-full with convenience, mostly in favor of Major, which saps the suspense from the chase and action scenes. (there's also lots of convenience in scenes showing bare tits, but that's a plus)

All in all, GitS feels vastly inferior to Oshii/Itō's own Patlabor. And when it comes to cyberpunk anime, it is outdone by Psycho-Pass.
>>
>>155219039
>outdone by Psycho-Pass
Nice bait but this last sentence destroyed everything you had built.
2/10 for the effort
>>
>>155219039
It's gonna be like this soon.
>>
>>155219500
Predicted this reply, but Psycho-Pass actually poses pretty relevant questions about measuring people through big data and quite literally large neural networks. So yes, it is the better cyberpunk anime.

>>155219553
Not sure whether I'll actually go see the GitS live-action later this afternoon or some other film. Thing is, I still have one cinema ticket free till the end of the month.
>>
I didn't enjoy the original movie either. All I remember was that the Major was going after the Puppetmaster, killed herself like an idiot and her brain was uploaded.

There was also some mumbo jumbo dialogue about the nature of the mind and robotics, which was quite awful from a narrative perspective. That's now how story telling works.

I don't intend to see the live action version, seems like a generic Hollywood flick from the trailers, but I'd take a generic story over the quote dumping abomination that was the original.
>>
Like everyone doesn't know SAC is the good shit
>>
>>155219718
>Psycho-Pass actually poses pretty relevant questions about measuring people through big data
It was overly simplistic and was mainly Urobuchi's usual edgy wank with creative serial killers. The fact that everybody starts agressing each other as soon as the detectors are down was completely retarded.

It had some interesting ideas but it's nowhere near the depth of the GitS manga or movie
>>
File: 1490857469022.jpg (88KB, 640x540px) Image search: [Google]
1490857469022.jpg
88KB, 640x540px
>>155219553

Nope
>>
>>155219039
>shitty CGI that is a product of its time
I haven't seen GITS movie for years but which scenes have 3DCGI?
>>
>>155220956
None except for some visual matrix style visual effects
>>
>>155220956
OP watched the shitty CGI remake
>>
>>155219039
>Psychopass
>>
>>155219718
>I still have one cinema ticket free till the end of the month
Watch Power Rangers
>>
>>155219719
>That's now how story telling works.
Well, it obviously does. Otherwise the movie wouldn't be so succesful in the first place.
>>
File: makoto23434.jpg (178KB, 850x992px) Image search: [Google]
makoto23434.jpg
178KB, 850x992px
>>155219039
OP gets it. There was nothing really cutting edge or new about the philosophical themes of GITS, especially in 1995. More focus on the narrative and characters would have been superior, and the same points could have been made without exposition.

Stand Alone Complex is vastly superior to all of the movies.
>>
>>155221427
>shitty CGI remake
>over a decade ago
No, I meant these green CGI effects that were mainly used as intermissions. I suppose they were mindblowing back in the day, but have aged poorly.

I don't plan to ever watch GitS 2.0, aka the shitty orange CGI remake.
>>
Guys how's the Laughing Man ova? Keeping in mind I don't really mind that it only contains that arc, I know that I'm missing out not watching the full series and I won't get full character development, but I don't have the time right now to watch it all. Does the ova do the job?
>>
>>155219039
>The workings of the society are underexplored
No, you're just too dense to pick up on things that they don't explicitly tell you. GitS isn't deep, but it definitely does a lot of show and not tell.

>we follow a police force that often operates more like terrorists than actual police
It's called a police state. That's the world of GitS, a police state. The fact that you don't even know a concept as basic as this further undelines this.

No wonder you prefer Psycho Pass. That show actually throws shit ton of expositions about the verse to ensure you get the points.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.