[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is GITS still popular? do newfriends pick up GITS at all these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

is GITS still popular? do newfriends pick up GITS at all these days?
>>
Depends on what version of GITS you're talkin about. Since that live-action movie shit is coming out in a few weeks or so, people are probably gonna go watch the original.

I wish SAC was just as popular, though..
>>
>>154765992
>Movie touches on the Major's lesbian-ness by having her kiss one of the most unattractive black people ever
>>
>>154764951
I decided to rewatch SAC and it seems like there's twice as much GITS stuff as I thought. Not sure how this escaped me.
>>
>>154764951
/tv/ crossboarders do.
>>
File: 1442537525347.png (369KB, 754x711px) Image search: [Google]
1442537525347.png
369KB, 754x711px
>>154765992
>I wish SAC was just as popular, though..
It was popular enough to get a western live action adaption.

Too bad It's gonna be shit.
>>
Am I the only one who dislikes SAC? The film was far better
>>
>>154766139
I wonder what Japs think of Kusanagi being a coal burner.
>>
I watched it all but am largely indifferent.
>>
>>154766469
SAC is pretty average, it's not as well directed or interesting as the movies since it has more straightforward stories and is more character-driven. It's basically GITS made more appealing by focusing on stuff that casual viewers will be more comfortable with.
>>
>>154766429
Is say the adaptation is more of an abomination of the original movie and the arise timeline.
>>
>>154764951
thinking to start with it , but i don't like complex stuff , actually i hate when someone pretends to understand them ! you can only understand them after you finish them which wastes most of the joy
>>
>>154764951
Of course it is popular.
Pork in the Shell is going to be the new Lucy.
>>
File: thinking2.png (85KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
thinking2.png
85KB, 210x210px
>>154764951
I watched the original GitS movies yesterday. Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I was really surprised how good it was.

So where do I go from here? There seems to be couple of movies, series and books. Is there a guide for this? I usually go with release order on stuff anyway.

Manga I will skip because I just don't like the medium. Books I might want to try. Are they any good?
>>
>>154768668
> Is there a guide for this?
>Manga I will skip because I just don't like the medium

find a guide for offing yourself instead.
>>
>>154768668
GitS:SAC. Everything else, including the manga, should be ignored.
>>
File: 1489866394346.jpg (61KB, 462x582px) Image search: [Google]
1489866394346.jpg
61KB, 462x582px
>>154768668
>There seems to be couple of movies, series and books. Is there a guide for this?
Go to the MAL page and click on sequels.

Wow that was hard.
>>
I've decided to rewatch a few episoded of SAC a couple of months ago. I just left it sitting on the hard drive and since then it has been seeding at a decent speed constantly.
Someone is downloading this stuff all the time, so I would guess that there is some degree of popularity.
>>
>>154764951
It's popular, but it's popular with the sort of person that never uses /a/.
>>
>>154764951
Popular enough to get a live action with Scar Jo as lead
>>
>>154769918
>MAL
>Accusing someone else of being new
>>
>>154764951
SAC was the first anime I took you guys' recommendation on and it quickly became my second favorite anime, just behind Hellsing
>>
>>154773418
Not really, I mean GitS author did pandora too, for example
>>
>>154773911
Using MAL purely as a resource is fine you fucking idiot.
>>
>>154769786
Sorry for not liking a medium. Manga lacks sound, it lacks text compared to books and it lacks visuals compared to movies. It does everything in a medicore way. Only thing it excels at is stills.

>>154769918
I almost forgot why I left /a/. Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>154776737
>It does everything in a medicore way.
Only the truest plebeian thinks this way.
>>
>>154776847
Then what does it do better than any other medium? Okay, stills but that's it.
>>
>>154776894
It's nothing inherent to the medium, but manga tends to do originality better than anime. I'm fairly uneducated on the subject but I would assume you can take less risks when you're working with the budget of an anime compared to that of a manga.

>>154766549
I enjoy it because I think GITS is a very interesting universe and I wanted to explore it more than a movie allowed.
>>
>>154776894
It's not nearly as straightforward as suggesting, for example, that anime is a straight upgrade over manga as a medium simply because it has animation and sound whilst manga doesn't.

Manga can provide highly detailed individual scenes, panelling, utterly unique artwork, style and presentation not possible in other formats. As a medium it can be very experimentative and works cover typically cover an extremely large variety of genres. It suffers less from needing to fall into various tropes the way anime tends to.

To tackle your individual points
>Manga lacks sound
The lack of sound isn't necessarily a negative, in the same way novels lack sound. Its supplemented by imagination instead, character voices sound the way you want them to.
>it lacks text compared to books
Different format to novels, so naturally it lacks heavy test and exposition, etc. This is instead supplemented by visuals.
>and it lacks visuals compared to movies.
This is probably the biggest point I'd contend you on. Individual manga pages are often far more incredible for me as more focus and detail can be put into a still image than a moving scene. As I mentioned earlier, the stills can allow greater impact in scenes through effective use of panelling and the delay between viewing each panel/page.

Main point I'd like to convey is that the difference between mediums is more nuanced than simply looking at the objective qualities they have available to them; sound, animation; voice; etc. Read more manga, basically.
>>
Is the anime even good? Never got round to watching it.

I'd assume one of the appealing things to Hollywood is that its adaptable unlike some other mainstream anime.
>>
>>154777445
>The lack of sound isn't necessarily a negative,
It is to me. Music is something that greatly enhances the mood. That's why I consider VNs to be an upgrade of books for example.

> Its supplemented by imagination instead, character voices sound the way you want them to.
Oh I wasn't talking about character voices. I most of the time turn some or all even off it they bother me in some games/VNs. What I was talking about was music.

>Different format to novels, so naturally it lacks heavy test and exposition, etc. This is instead supplemented by visuals.
Text can convey much more than simply visuals. And honestly, take a book and see how much any scene describes how the place looks. There is barely none. There is just enough to set the mood and maybe point out some important things. Rest is used for exposition etc. Manga simply can't get into that level of detail in it's text unless it resorts into heavy text dumps. But that doesn't really fit in a manga.

>This is probably the biggest point I'd contend you on. Individual manga pages are often far more incredible for me as more focus and detail can be put into a still image than a moving scene.
I agree, that's why I mentioned stills. There have been few manga which surprised me by them. But they aren't really enough to keep me interested in the medium.
Also, I'm not huge fan of action scenes to begin with but I get even less out of action scenes in a manga. The way they are usually made is bad. You can disagree and I won't hold it against you. I just don't like them.
>>
File: 14895126140920.jpg (43KB, 485x600px) Image search: [Google]
14895126140920.jpg
43KB, 485x600px
>>154773911
>I'm not going to use the largest anime and manga database on the Internet with rich functionality unmatched by any other web resource just because it has forums and I don't like how people act there
Wow, you really made me think.
>>
>>154779534
I never expected two (you)'s
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.