[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Phantom World a misunderstood masterpiece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: Myriad_Colors_Phantom_World.jpg (64KB, 300x441px) Image search: [Google]
Myriad_Colors_Phantom_World.jpg
64KB, 300x441px
Was Phantom World a misunderstood masterpiece?
>>
>>154673944
No.

>Inb4: FPBP
>>
Misunderstood yes.
Masterpiece no. Except in character design.
>>
>>154673944
Season 2 when
>>
>>154673944
no, it was just shit

you can stop talking about it now
>>
>>154673944
If PW would have aired on the early 2000s it would have been the Evangelion of the Madoka Magica.
>>
>>154674005
This.

Honestly the second half was pretty good, shame episodes 2 and 5 were so boring. I was also surprised how not-generic Mai was, even if the rest of the girls were pretty archetypal. I was also pretty satisfied with how they wrapped it up, specially with that episode 11 setting it up.
>>
>>154675208
>shame episodes 2 and 5 were so boring

As one would have expect of Koito episodes.
>>
It looked nice, and the character designs ranged from good to great, but that's not enough to make up for everything else wrong it.
>>
Not really, last 3 episodes were at least good, final was just boring and what you would expect of a bad show.
>>
It would not have been posted once in the past six months, even in "really bad anime that nobody remembers" threads, were it not fundamentally entrapped within forced meem spam.
>>
>>154675282
I've heard thousands of people mention "everything wrong with it" yet I haven't heard one person say what exactly is wrong with it. I'll admit it had some shameless exposition in the first episode, it had some weird dialogue a few times, and episodes 2 and 5 were boring, but aside from that I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe not spectacular but not wrong either.
>>
>>154674025
Never.
Too much anime original shit to tie it in to the next novel.
Enigma never existed, but a character that he had created named Rupa did. Rupa was born from his desire to have a mother after his mom walked out on him, and now she's trying to erase the universe in order to basically become god so that she could shape a new universe to suit her image of perfection, where she would be able to give birth to Haruhiko and be his real mother.
>>
>>154675418

So you put the burden of proof on those people? Since you brought attention to it, you should be the one to explain its good points, if any.
>>
Good animation
>>
>>154675554
Good points?

The show was consistent with its theme of not having happy families, and the premise of mind-fucking monsters that can alter reality allows for very creative settings to be used in each episode, and they really took advantage of that for the best in my opinion. For an episodic show that only tries to be fun, I think that's good enough.

If you want to also list more superficial things, the designs were good, the animation was great, the powers and monsters were creative, the direction was competent, and the music was ok.

Near the end and in some episodes it did try to be a bit more serious about its "fucked up families" theme and in my opinion it did that very well, because Reina's episode established it from very early in the show and was fun, charming, and a bit sad, episode 11 then did a great job of addressing Haruhiko's personal issues (being heartwarming at the same time), and setting up the themes for the final 2 episodes to have an impact, which they did, at least on me.

Episodes like the cat mansion, period drama, hot springs at school, and the festival episode, which were only focused on being fun, also achieved it in my opinion. The three of them had great animation, funny dialogue, good direction, and amusing settings. The action in episode 9 especially was very good.

Will you tell me what's wrong with it now?
>>
>>154676111
>it did try to be a bit more serious about its "fucked up families" theme and in my opinion it did that very well, because Reina's episode established it from very early in the show
lol what

no it didn't

we never even saw anyone from reina's family on screen. her parents have like 2 lines of dialogue. reina just saying "my parents hate me because they won't let me join the phantom club :(" isn't doing anything well at all
>>
>>154673944
Where in the world does this even begin to be a "masterpiece"?
>>
>>154673944
Novelanon said so, but looks like Kyoani totally fucked it up.
>>
>>154676482
You have got to be a special kind of special, anon. You don't have to see her parents to know they are fucked up. The whole fucking episode was about Reina escaping to another world with her ideal family because she didn't want to get home, and she spoke a lot about how her parents are very strict with her. The whole episode happened just because she hates her family situation so much. Besides, what I was talking about when I said that it established the theme well wasn't specifically Reina, but also Haruhiko exposing his own family issues to help bring her back, so from very early in the show we know that both these characters had fucked up families. Episode 5 also mentioned how Koito's parents were scared of her powers and how she rebelled because of that, and episode 6 implies Kurumi's parents died in a fire (debatable). Episode 11 not only shows how much Haruhiko is in need of a mother, it also reveals that Mai's parents are also not very present in her life.
>>
>>154675266
they didnt do justice for koito. she herself was great but the episode just drops that to the ground.
>>
>>154676776
>she didn't want to get home, and she spoke a lot about how her parents are very strict with her. The whole episode happened just because she hates her family situation so much.
she could be a psychotic liar for all we know, we never see her interact with them
>>
>>154676997
That's your fault for not believing what's told to your face, idiot And that also doesn't invalidate the fact that she escaped reality to be able to have a happy family and also nothing you've said so far addresses any of my other points in >>154676111 other than "lol no".

So if the only "flaw" you can find in this show is "urr I decide not to believe what happens on screen because that would mean I lose an argument" then that only reinforces my point that nobody ever has given me good reasons why this show is as shit as everyone says.
>>
>>154677398
or more like you just can't accept that you like garbage
>>
>>154677645
I'm glad we agree this show had no flaws.
>>
>>154673944
Comfy as fuck. I loved it.
>>
File: 1457133399622.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457133399622.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>154673944
Koito is a misunderstood masterpiece.
>>
>>154673944
Only the last 2 or 3 episodes were good. Also that one that played into my straight shota fantasies.
>>
>>154678446
This
>>
File: neigh.jpg (120KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
neigh.jpg
120KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>154673944
Me on the top left
>>
>>154673944
No, it was simply a piece of shit and possibly KyoAni's worst show ever.
>>
>>154675418
>I've heard thousands of people mention "everything wrong with it" yet I haven't heard one person say what exactly is wrong with it
For me, it was when I saw the MC being abused and attacked for accidentally seeing the girls in underwear. I am completely over the idea of hurting the guy for not doing anything wrong, and I expected KyoAni to know better. I absolutely don't care for the MC being thrown out of the window, that's shitty behaviour and it isn't funny.
>>
File: 1488158130477.gif (357KB, 256x270px) Image search: [Google]
1488158130477.gif
357KB, 256x270px
>tfw I watched this shit but I was high as shit and I can't remember shit
>>
>>154674005
There was nothing to misunderstand, it was just shit.
>>
>>154675418
The entire thing was a pain to watch. The show never went into offensive territory with how bad it was, but that didn't really help it at all because it only contributed to it's major problem, it's extremely boring.

At no point does the show do a single thing to interest you. There is never any tension in any of the scenes. None of the characters have any type of interest or complexity to them, so there is no interest in their stories whatsoever. Anytime the show attempts comedy, it does it in such a dry way that you don't even get a smile out of it.

If all of the jokes fall flat, but don't offend, all of the "tension" doesn't make you feel the least bit tense, and none of the characters remotely pique your interest, all you are left with is an extremely boring show. Normally a rushed ending would not be optimal like the show had, but in this case it was welcome as a tool to free us from the hell known as boredom.
>>
>>154677645
Thank you for conceding in favor of his opinions.
>>154680008
Storywise, it's one of the weaker ones, but the visuals more than make up for it. That said, the original story is considered to be far inferior to the anime plot due to bearing so many similarities to LNs that have a "light and dark" theme going on.

I'd personally tie it with Kyoukai no Kanata with the movies excluded in my personal ranking. KnK only edges out because Mirai-hen manages to wrap up the story well.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.