[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So was there a wincon in pre-Battle City Duel Monsters that didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: y734843.png (396KB, 478x358px) Image search: [Google]
y734843.png
396KB, 478x358px
So was there a wincon in pre-Battle City Duel Monsters that didn't involve attacking Attack position monsters, or making up bullshit? Without direct attacks, there's nothing stopping players from turtling up until they draw into something helpful or deck-out.
>>
>>154661156
Early YGO wasnt intended to be an extended commercial.
>>
>>154661156
Your opponent sends you to the shadow realm if you act like a bitch turtling your monsters
>>
If I recall, there were a few lines in the show that IMPLIED that if you were unable to have at least one monster on your side of the field at the end of your turn, your opponent could attack you directly.
>>
>>154661156
Pretty much.

The OCG didnt exist until Battle City
>>
>>154661390
>The OCG didnt exist until Battle City
Speaking of which, the nips just got Stratos at 2.
>>
>>154661456
and Zoodiacs btfo
>>
>>154661156
Pretty sure it was always implied if you didn't have a monster to play, you could be attacked directly. But honestly pre battle city was just straight up nonsense most of the time. Even when things weren't just being made up it still didn't make sense. Even something that should have been simple like the field bonuses just seemed to be random numbers
>>
>>154661156
Since there were no sacrifice rules why didn't everyone just stack their decks with high level monsters?
>>
>>154663714
Cards were significantly rarer in universe. I think it was said Grandpas deck took a lifetime to put together. They used shit cards because that's all they could afford.

Better question is why Kaiba didn't stack his deck with those strong cards he kept in his briefcase
>>
File: AttacktheMoon-ABYR-EN-SR-UE.png (3MB, 1419x2056px) Image search: [Google]
AttacktheMoon-ABYR-EN-SR-UE.png
3MB, 1419x2056px
>That time their made up bullshit became an actual part of the game
>>
>>154664003
Did they not have booster packs? Just hey the cards are out there and you either find them or buy them individually, GOOD LUCK

Also no description on the cards, you just had to figure out what it did by dueling
>>
>>154664386
>Also no description on the cards, you just had to figure out what it did by dueling
Or make up some bullshit and try to sell it to the other player.
I'm pretty sure that's what most people did.
>>
>>154661156
Not possible, I think. You didn't draw cards if you chose to attack. That's how the early game worked. Thus making Kaiba's blue eyes, gamebreaking on it's own.
>>
If you don't play a monster, you lose. It's how Kaiba lost to Pegasus.

People ran Stop Defence to stop turtling
>>
I thought sacrifices and direct attacks were in the rulebook from the get-go? Or are we talking exclusively about the anime rules?

Either way, the only thing I remember from 2002 YGO is
>TRAP HOLE
>RAIGEKI
>TRAP HOLE
>MAN-EATER BUG
>TRAP HOLE
>HUNGRY BURGER
>>
>>154664890
Actually there's people who play 2002 Yugioh and call it the "Yugi-Kaiba" format, but it's entirerly composed out of normal monster beatdown decks.

Goat is just better
>>
File: DRAW.jpg (188KB, 740x1079px) Image search: [Google]
DRAW.jpg
188KB, 740x1079px
>>
>>154664386
They did, but strong monsters were still ultra rare. I mean if Blue Eyes was limited to 4 copies world wide I doubt other cards had high print volume either.

And it was only in the dub that cards didn't have text. Honestly I don't blame them, changing every cards text to english, even unused hand cards, would have been a huge pain
>>
>>154664890
When the game came out for the US those rules were in place. The duelist kingdom arc aired in Japan before the game was actually brought to real life. But most of us watched the dub first as kids.

You must have had richfag friends for them to have Raigeki back when the game was new and hot, that shit was hard as fuck to find. But you aren't wrong, there was no ban list for years, so all the OP cards on the forbidden list today were fair game, and pretty much must use because of how broken they were
>>
>>154664003
>Better question is why Kaiba didn't stack his deck with those strong cards he kept in his briefcase
That's a very good question. Sagi you can maybe excuse because of Crush Card Virus, but why the hell would he run crap like Hitotsu-Me Giant?
>>
>>154666378
I got a blue-eyes out of my very first pack of LOB, and then fucking nothing for years. I think the only other ultra rare I ever got before I stopped playing was Tyrant Dragon.
>>
>>154666980
The English version of the game boosted rarities and made cards harder to get to scam kids. I feel sorry for anyone who plays it still. The OCG is way better
>>
>>154667075
Seems like nowadays there are multiple reprints of everything so making a decent deck doesn't cost much, unless you need the 2017 meta in which case you need to fork out for the latest ultras you need for your deck
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.