[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scanlation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: ps.jpg (11KB, 299x294px) Image search: [Google]
ps.jpg
11KB, 299x294px
What are you working on?
What do you need help with?
What are you being a lazy shit and not working on?
What do you wish got picked up?

Also EBJ had a complete interface makeover, so the rippers don't work anymore
>>
>>154594398
>What are you being a lazy shit and not working on?
Everything.
>>
>>154594398
>Also EBJ had a complete interface makeover, so the rippers don't work anymore
Fuck and I had just gotten the old one fixed.
>>
File: J6100021911761.jpg (481KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
J6100021911761.jpg
481KB, 850x1200px
Does anyone know the canvas method of ripping from ebookjapan? I'm about to buy some magazines and the thread that had the info on it is gone now.
>>
>>154596403
That script broke anyways so it wouldn't be much help until it's fixed.
>>
>>154596457
Yeah, I just re-read the spoiler text.

How long do you think until it'll be functional again?
>>
>>154594398
i desperately want to work on something after my last collaborator got so good that i wasn't necessary anymore.

the problem is that i don't like mangos, i just like working to stave off the ennui.
>>
>>154596498
Depends on what the problem is, at first I thought it broke just because the URL changed but when I tried it that didn't work so we'll have to wait for the person who wrote the code to find a fix.
>>
>>154596403
For now just use Responsive Design Mode to get screenshots and set the dimensions to match the images. It's annoying but it's the only thing that'll work until someone fixes the script.
>>
>>154596565
They completely rewrote the viewer, there's only one canvas now that apparently gets reloaded for each page or something like that.
>>
>>154596537
Find a light novel that interests you?
They aren't all isekai/harem/oreimo, and they don't have all the baggage of editing manga.
>>
File: 43.png (321KB, 959x1400px) Image search: [Google]
43.png
321KB, 959x1400px
Someone was asking if anyone would do this a few threads ago, got the first chapter almost done now.
>>
>>154594398
TLing some 〜戦記 mango.
>>
>>154596632
i've tried real novels, i've had a half-complete No Longer Human shuffling around for years now. unfortunately i LIKE the baggage and how it forces me to do something on a regular schedule. i like it more than i like the actual content. so finding new content is shit because i hate what i'm working on and just want the endorphin rush of a speed war and download counts.
>>
>>154596785
This is a serious question, not trying to be rude: do you have a job?
It sounds like you want a job.
>>
>>154596860
that's probably part of it, i work on contract and this is mostly downtime at the end of the FY.
it will still hold true in a couple weeks, though.
>>
>>154596629
Shouldn't that mean that it'd be easier?
>>
Three blog-tier questions.

Would it be fucked up if I translated Rokudenashi Blues despite another group releasing it at a glacial pace? I should probably focus on something else instead of jumping around with translations, but I'm planning on starting the series after I finish Rookies tonight or tomorrow.

Can anyone find good raws for Tetsujin 28? I can only find 300x400 .bmp images, it's ridiculous.

Why am I only getting offers to clean, which takes all of three minutes, yet not offers to typeset, which takes 10-20x as long?
>>
>>154598024
Have you tried contacting the Rokudenashi group to see if you can work together? Do you just vastly prefer to work alone?
>>
>>154598024
>Would it be fucked up if I translated Rokudenashi Blues despite another group releasing it at a glacial pace?
Offer them help before jumping on it.
>>
>>154598024
>Why am I only getting offers to clean, which takes all of three minutes, yet not offers to typeset, which takes 10-20x as long?
>typesetting taking longer than cleaning
You're either doing something wrong or have never had to redraw anything.
>>
>>154598024
- not fucked up, but pretty dumb unless you're looking for busy work and sperglords might get mad
- aren't there still services which will take delivery from amazon and shit out 1600x scans? scanist who i used is dead, but they can't all be gone
- because it takes less time done lazily for the same amount of glory
>>
>>154598112
This is because everyone seems to have their own lexicon of what means what.

Some people expect "scanning" to include cleaning.
Some people expect "cleaning" to include redraws.
Some people expect "typesetting" to include other miscellaneous editing.
Some people just say "editing", with no indication as to what that covers.
>>
>>154596785
>>154596785
So let me get this straight - you don't like manga, you don't like books, you just want random busy work to do because you're an autist? And you're apparently an average scanlator (since your partner made you redundant) but are spending your time translating something that Donald Keene's already done? Just go fucking work in a soup kitchen or something, you'd do more good that way and you apparently don't enjoy this anyway.
>>
File: editing-in-a-nutshell.png (9KB, 573x500px) Image search: [Google]
editing-in-a-nutshell.png
9KB, 573x500px
>>154598320
>with no indication as to what that covers.
It's pretty simple.
>>
anyone have something comfy and SoL that needs a translator? Not feeling like starting another edgy battle manga right now
>>
>>154598072
LONE. WOLF.
Also having to conform to some group's rules and not having "control" over my translations is a pet peeve.

>>154598112
I only work on older series so it's literally just erasing words.

>>154598250
Do those services exist in Japan? I can go out and buy the bunko for cheap, but I doubt people here will scan considering the potential for punishment.
>>
>>154598429
Except some people don't mean editing to cover all of that.
I've worked with people that take "editing" to mean cleaning and redrawing, but not typesetting.
And again, "cleaning" in itself is ambiguous when some groups have their scanners take on some of the rotating, cropping, leveling/etc.
>>
>>154598495
>I only work on older series
That explains a lot, a lot of old series don't have background text, it's all either on a bubble or on a space that's be white-out.

>>154598497
That's the damn definition of editing since scanlation began, back when one person did all that in the image and was credited simply as editor. Those people you describe are probably new and just used the word for the sake of using a different term.
>>
>>154598429
Editing covers cleaning, redrawing, and typesetting, but cleaning doesn't necessarily cover redrawing now that the job is often split across two people.
>>
>>154598672
Redrawing is just an off-shoot of cleaning in the first place.
>>
>>154598432
Suzuki-san
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=88481
Sorairo Flutter
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=139385
>>
>>154598691
They require completely different skillsets, it used to be that one person did both jobs but now that most groups have more people they can have one person do each.
>>
>>154598497
>I've worked with people that take "editing" to mean cleaning and redrawing, but not typesetting.

Then they're retarded. There's always been three main roles in scanlation: scan, translate, edit.
Some groups choose to divide edit into a separate cleaner, redrawer and typesetter just to shit out scanlation faster.
>>
>>154598740
>but now that most groups have more people they can have one person do each.
That's not why they split the job, they split it because they lacked cleaners that could handle redrawing so the solution they came up with was separate all of the role, the experienced cleaners got moved to redrawing while they could pick up any newfag, show him how to do basic shit and then set them off. What this did was actually create a lot of shitty cleaners because all they knew how to do was use their presets and actions, so if they left and were asked to do more, i.e. redraw, they wouldn't be able to do it.
>>
>>154598432
Ajisai Planet
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=130339
>>
>>154596775
That was me, thank you Psylocke Scan bro
>>
File: 1424053555609.png (31KB, 132x178px) Image search: [Google]
1424053555609.png
31KB, 132x178px
Tell me exactly what to say when you have someone who volunteered as a cleaner and it turns out they can't clean for shit. Whites aren't white, blacks aren't black, screentones are partially kill, lineart got thinner somehow.

I don't want them to feel bad since they're just trying to help. For now I just cleaned everything again, and I'm planning to tell them I just fixed it a little. Does that sound good?
>>
>>154599658
Walk them through what you fixed.
If you're that concerned about hurting their feelings, you don't have to show them each and every place you touched, just give an example of each kind of change you made.
>>
>>154599658
What? No. Be honest, seriously. You're only going to hurt the guy if you keep doing what you're doing. If he really wants to clean in the future then he'll appreciate criticism and want to get better.

You...you would be a terrible teacher/parent.
>>
>>154599658
You have two options.

1. Be a dick and kick them from what you're working on.
2. Be a bro and show him what he did wrong, and how to do it properly.
>>
File: 2156.jpg (538KB, 1436x2152px) Image search: [Google]
2156.jpg
538KB, 1436x2152px
>>154598730
>>154598432
>Suzuki-san
Please do this. I will suck your dick for all eternity. Shit's a lot of fun too and has great characters.
>>
>>154598432
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=90967

Mako-san to Hachisuka-kun. please, shit is adorable.
>>
>>154599876
>>154599735
>>154599734
No man I can't tell them they fucked up. They said they were already helping other scanlation groups and if they're not saying anything I'm not going to be the one to do it.
They're also typesetting for me later so I really don't want them to feel bad. I'm just going to give them very detailed instructions for that.
>>
>>154600270
Why bother asking then, when you've already decided on your course of (in)action?
>>
File: musclefag.png (235KB, 588x452px) Image search: [Google]
musclefag.png
235KB, 588x452px
>>154600270
>They're also typesetting for me later so I really don't want them to feel bad

You're telling them how to improve. Quit being a pussy and work towards quality, not just "eh it's done".
>>
>>154600270
You sound so weak it's ridiculous.

I bet you're translating futa manga.
>>
>>154598432
Still waiting for someone to pick this back up.
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=19610
>>
Cleaner is not a fucking position. Fuck off, all you credit leeching cleaners. You don't do shit. Erasing text is not a fucking job and it doesn't help anyone.

You are either a Translator or an Editor. If your editor is an incompetent fuck, you might have to get someone else to do some redraws. But cleaners are absolutely nobody.
>>
>>154603309
When you consider that you typically have to fix the orientation, levels, and crop of scanned pages, clear out text, and carefully clone and reconstruct the art since the Nips love to put text smack dab in the middle of the page, yes, it is a fucking job, you ungrateful shit.
>>
>>154603453
>carefully clone and reconstruct the art
That's part of redrawing. Most "cleaner"s now adays don't do any redrawing.
>>
>>154603453
>When you consider that you typically have to fix the orientation, levels, and crop of scanned pages
That's a scanner.
>carefully clone and reconstruct the art
That's a redrawer.
>yes, it is a fucking job, you ungrateful shit.
I do everything besides translation. Eat shit, you skill-less cunt.
>>
>>154603654
>That's a scanner.
Yeah no. I already spend hours scanning, I'm not going to spend even more cleaning the fucking pages. Expecting a raw provider to clean all their shit on top of scanning is retarded.
>>
>>154603736
Fixing the orientation and cropping is not cleaning.
>>
Working on my one-man-army project, one page per day. Slowly learning how to clean, redraw and typeset, hopefully I'll be able to go beyond the most basic SFX for final chapter or I'll just ask a good SFX guy for a bit of help.
>>
>>154603765
>levels
>>
>>154603736
>not producing straight scans
>not automating cropping and leveling
You suck. And even if you don't want to do it, that's not cleaning. That's part of of scanning.
>>
>>154603841
I ignored that part for a reason.
>>
Can I ask a dumb question? How do you fix and clean Jpeg noise from a picture?
Also, are there some page to teach you how to clean/redraw like they exist for Typesetting?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.