[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ONLY WHEN YOU GRASP THE DEPTH OF THIS PUDDLE . . . . . . WILL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 12

File: DEEP.png (1MB, 1199x900px) Image search: [Google]
DEEP.png
1MB, 1199x900px
ONLY WHEN YOU GRASP THE DEPTH OF THIS PUDDLE . . .

. . . WILL YOU TRULY COME TO UNDERSTAND EVANGELION
>>
>>154470380

EVERY DAY UNTIL YOU FIRMLY GRASP IT
>>
File: 1484197489453.jpg (77KB, 515x767px) Image search: [Google]
1484197489453.jpg
77KB, 515x767px
Why can't they just make things simple to understand? First K-On was too intellectual for me and now this puddle.
>>
>>154470269
>understanding eva
>>
File: magic short bus.jpg (17KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
magic short bus.jpg
17KB, 210x240px
>>154470269
Evangelion is a really shallow below the obscured surface. But that's the joke, isn't?
>>
>>154470269
I don't understand.

The puddle isn't deep, its just water gathered on a surface showing a reflection of anything that you see in it?
>>
>>154470787
>>154470846
>>154470873

keep going...
>>
>>154470873
That's the point.
And that can be said to most anime wanting to be taken seriously.

I'm going to get death threats now, but another example would be Ikuhara's works.
>>
File: neon genesis evangelion.png (374KB, 481x686px) Image search: [Google]
neon genesis evangelion.png
374KB, 481x686px
lel you finally got it omedetou
>>
File: milady.jpg (48KB, 315x348px) Image search: [Google]
milady.jpg
48KB, 315x348px
The 4chan anti-intellectual starter pack:
>nothing has any meaning
>there's no such thing as symbolism
>discussion and analysis is for edgy teenagers
>creators don't put anything meaningful into their anime because they're just dumb cartoons
>anyone who has more than a surface-level interest in anything is an autistic retard
>>
>>154471905

That's the /a/ equivalent of the political cynic who hates both sides, but detaches himself from any other concrete position to protect himself from criticism
>>
>>154472185
They're the kind of emotionally fragile people who think every discussion is an argument.
>>
>>154470269
How do we know the puddle isn't thousands of leagues deep? What is on the other side of this puddle if I choose to dive in head first?
Cake? A book? maybe a squid of some kind?
>>
>>154471905
It's places like /a/ that helped me realise just how infantile the anime fan base really is. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes like to find moments for fun and cutesy stuff, but these guys just want everything to be fun and cutesy. It's kind of fucking disheartening really.
>>
>>154470873
>>154471905
>>154472445

So is it DEEP, or is it sound and fury signifying nothing?
>>
>>154471905
>>154472185
>>154472445
Evangelion is an extremely shallow anime. Get over it, reddit. Like Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann, it's just a patchwork of previous series that were actually well written.
>>
>>154472673
The only meaning things have are the ones you ascribe to them.
>>
>>154472445
The saddest thing is that /a/ really still is the best place to discuss anime on the internet, even in its current state. I've tried going to twitter/reddit/tumblr/etc. and I always come crawling back here with my tail between my legs. /a/ is shit but at least it's not an echo chamber where people are afraid to post any negative or unpopular opinions for fear of being banned.

>>154472763
Yeah, it is, which just goes to show how colossally stupid the people who don't understand it are.
>>
>>154472792
Not only is that exceedingly pretentious, it's false.
>>
>>154472942
This is a most unfortunate truth. At least the occasional post here is said without memes or just general shittiness. However, places like Reddit, for example, seemed to have this creepily happy, put memes in everything culture that just comes off as silly.
>>
>>154472763
This. Anyone who likes Eva or Gunbuster is flat out retarded.
>>
>>154471444
>I'm gonna get death threats now
ok you asked for it
im guna hert u bad
>>
File: 1481296838297.jpg (242KB, 495x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481296838297.jpg
242KB, 495x600px
>>154473227
Meanwhile everyone is posting moe shit all day.
>>
>>154473295
>Gundam with generic haremshit waifus in a high school setting
>Not moeshit
Again, Eva fans are retarded.
>>
>>154470269
looks deep but once you touch it you realize it's flat
>>
>>154473466
You haven't done anything to actually critique the show other than using some fucking awful jokes. Good job there, mate.
>>
>>154472942
>>154473227

Evangelion has a simple, human message on top of its multiple dissections of common human egos and self-defense mechanisms. It really doesn't even try to be DEEP, people just get their minds blown by the Christian symbolism and Instrumentality shit.
>>
>>154473592
It's a shallow high school harem series. What more is there to say? One does not need to say anything to explain why a seires like Nisekoi is garbage, you merely need to point out what it is.
>>
>>154473466

>high school

omae wa mo retarudeiru
>>
File: 1441553008580.png (403KB, 469x467px) Image search: [Google]
1441553008580.png
403KB, 469x467px
>>154473750
>its multiple dissections of common human egos and self-defense mechanisms
>>
>>154473903

>>154471905
>>
>>154473758
I don't like to throw around the "you didn't understand it" shit that some others like to throw around, but to refer to the series as a "high school harem" series is just outright false, and may actually be indicative of you not even attempting to put any thought into the show.

That may seem a bit too assuming on my end, but that was a truly lacking summary you put forth.
>>
File: 1362891807105.jpg (163KB, 1533x482px) Image search: [Google]
1362891807105.jpg
163KB, 1533x482px
>>154473867
????
In these screencaps from both Eva TV & the movie
its of one of the main characters wearing her high school uniform while in a high school class
>>
>>154473987
I did understand it. It copies ideas found in other extremely popular anime series, and adds a generic harem setting.
>>
>>154471905
>>anyone who has more than a surface-level interest in anything is an autistic retard
This one is just you pulling bullshit out of your ass. Half the posts on /a/ are variants on "you need to watch more anime."
>>
>>154474070

middle school ya fool
>>
>>154473940
>you don't buy into my bullshit about how evangelion is some sort of psycho analysis of human behaviors
>YOU ANTI-INTELLECTUAL
Ironing at its hottest
>>
>>154474070
So because some scenes are set in school, it's suddenly exclusively a school harem show, when it very clearly is not?
>>
>>154474251

>evangelion is some sort of psycho analysis of human behaviors

How is this even a point of contention

Even if you think what it preaches is total bullshit, you can't deny that it tries to analyze basic human psychology for a large part of the show
>>
>>154474424
You're responding to the wrong post chain, that one didn't call it "a school harem."
>>
>>154474437
>you can't deny that it tries to analyze basic human psychology for a large part of the show
It doesn't.
>>
>>154473167
When you get points for having people like what you write you tend to write things that people like
>>
>>154474251
>>154474437
Even if one argues that it was a typical mecha for the first half, the psychological elements are made apparent from the get go. You literally can't avoid the notable Hedgehog's dilemma conversations. They themselves were supposed to be surface level - simple for the audience to grasp.
>>
>>154474477
It does.
>>
>>154474474
Fucking bollocks to it
>>
>>154472763
>it's just a patchwork of previous series that were actually well written.

you realize this is a common criticism of virtually everything? there are only what, something like 7 or 8 story archetype/forms, and the idea that "every story has already been told and everything since is just variation of existing stories" is well-known,

"eva is actually shallow and not good" is an even worse opinion than "wow instrumentality is soo confusing what did i even just watch?"
>>
>character flaws and personal conflict = psychological analysis of common human egos

Only Eva fans are this delusional about a common part of storytelling.

>GILGAMESH WAS PROUD, CONTENTIOUS AND FEARED DEATH
>IT'S A PSYCHO ANALYSIS!!!!1
>>
>>154474424
It's Gundam with a high school harem attached, I mean it's not even deniable. I don't see what use there is in not accepting this clear fact.
>>
>>154474667
No, you moron. Evangelion is literally a patchwork of various series. Not a "I was inspired by these things and I used common storytelling tropes" but a "Oh yeah, this is Devilman. Sorry guise."
>>
>>154474667
It's different in this case. Eva rips off specific anime and does not try to hide it. Only pretentious western fans think otherwise.
>>
>>154471905
I'm going to be honest, "surface-level" themes well-conveyed through events/characters are much preferable to and more impactful than most "muh complex deeper meaning" symbolic efforts. This holds true for NGE, even - what makes it good isn't Easter Egg-tier things like "Hey, look, in this shot Misato sitting down on the chair is Freudian imagery for a penis to show sexual tension!", it's the characters and their fairly straightforward/explicit interactions that fuel it.
>>
>>154474725
Alright, I'll humour you.

Both shows employ mecha in a military context but with very different reasons and specifics.

The mecha in Gundam are often mass produced weapons which are common for the modern armed forces of the various settings that the different shows present. This is all human on human on violence, aligning with our historical nature. Fighting for resources, space, ideology, etc, while also serving as a thematic vessel regarding the evolution of man's destructive technology. They also served as a rather grand overhaul of the mecha genre by effectively dethroning the super robot sub genre.

Evangelions on the other hand are exclusive weapons which can only be built by the world's richest nations. The way they are employed is two-fold; the protect the Earth from the hostile angel invasion while also serving the secret goal of helping to initiate 3rd Impact according to SEELE's conditions. They also serve as a narrative tool to expand on the core characters' frame of mind later on in the show and in the film (souls of the mothers).
>>
>>154474808
Dude, Eva isn't the first series to be an unsubtle pastiche of existing shows. And it's not limited to anime, either. Movies regularly do what you're now referring to as "ripping off" other properties.

It's the first thing coming to mind, but Star Wars is pretty notorious for it. You're probably already aware of, e.g. the award scene at the end of ANH being a "reskin" of a Nuremberg rally. There's tons of scenes like this in Star Wars. That doesn't mean the films suck because they're a pastiche of things that already exist, it means it's done a good job making a 'collage' of ideas/imagery for extant properties and made a good product/narrative.

If you're familiar with the source properties then absolutely, it's occasionally distracting. But don't pretend Evangelion is unique in this format.
>>
>>154471905
>>154472185
>>154472353
That's some pretty solid analysis.
>>
File: like your game.jpg (94KB, 465x600px) Image search: [Google]
like your game.jpg
94KB, 465x600px
>>154471905
sure b8 but wew lad just get over it, if you want to pursue the gold at the end of the rainbow then plebbit its your place
>>
>>154475146
This is the part where he tells you Star Wars is shit, provided the thread doesn't die.
>>
>>154474715

Shinji = typical betamale, running away from uncomfortable contact with others
Misato = typical workaholic, with a sham family life trying to pass herself off as a mother
Asuka = typical stuck-up bitch, overcompensating for her own fragile ego by constantly bringing others down
Rei = blank slate for discussing existentialism and conflicted identity
>>
>>154475138
>effectively dethroning the super robot sub genre
Fuck, you're an idiot. Confirmed.

First off, real robot is a sub-genre that focuses on mass produced robots fighting in wars or something equivalent where robots are an absolute norm of society.

What this means is that everything that isn't real robot falls into the descriptor of "super robot". This accounts for around 80% of the mecha genre.

Real robot is a small portion of mecha overall and most productions are definitely super robot, even today. There have been very, very few real robot productions outside of the 80s and 90s when it was in its peak. Even then, it was most contained to Gundam and a few other Sunrise productions like Votoms.

I've got no comment for the rest of your post because I'm not the guy who is claiming Evangelion is anything like Gundam, but I will say that Evangelion is a super robot show that is mostly inspired by super robot manga from the 1970s by Go Nagai, Ken Ishikawa and Mitsuteru Yokoyama.
>>
>>154475146
The problem with Eva is everything original it does bring to the table is just awful.
>>154475430
You know I was going to do just that, but it's too obvious. Star Wars IS shit though.
>>
>>154475550
I guessed I should have specified that I was referring to the popularity of the genres with the whole "dethroning" thing, in place of the amount of shows produced in each genre.
>>
>>154475430
And that's fine, if you want to argue Star Wars is shit, that's completely alright. But it's fucking ridiculous, because Star Wars succeeded in the story it wanted to tell, is popular for a reason, etc.

I just don't know what point someone trying to say Evangelion is shit because it references other series is making. Have you ever told a story yourself? Either storyboarding a movie, or drawing a comic, or writing a story? You were probably inspired by something, and yeah, there's a few ways of going about 'paying tribute' to your source of inspiration, but a "reskin" isn't uncommon.

I'd wager some of your favourite scenes in movies are actually what we're calling "ripoffs" here of films that came before them. There's a scene in a Tarantino film, I forget, I think Inglorious Basterds, where everyone thought it referenced a movie that came out in like, 1947. In an interview, Tarantino explained it was a reference to a movie that came out in like, the 1970s. It becomes immediately apparent the 1970s film Tarantino referenced was referencing the 1940s one. This isn't uncommon. You can call it "ripping it off", or "recycling", if you like, but if you do so then I really hope you're not the sort of person whose sensibility is to think a more overt dialog reference, or fourth-wall breaking metacommentary, is a better form of writing.
>>
>>154475688
>I guessed I should have specified that I was referring to the popularity of the genres
You'd still be wrong. Sure, Gundam is one of the most popular mecha franchises of all times but that's about it for real robot. Stop talking about things you don't know.
>>
>>154475754
>Literally take entire characters and plot from other series without changing anything whatsoever
>I-It' s just a reference! Everybody does it!
>>
>>154475550

>genre autism

>>>/mu/
>>
>>154475963
Have you ever written a story?
>>
>>154476055
Has Anno ever written a story? Ctrl+Cing the script of Ace wo nerae and changing the names doesn't count.
>>
The problems with discussing Eva:

First, Neon Genesis Evangelion was a legitimately good show. The story is interesting, the designs are some of the best in the industry, the art and animation are still some of the best that have ever been done for a TV series, and the score is phenomenally chosen and applied, etc. etc. ad nauseam. Secondly, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the visceral, aggressive visuals and adult themes of the story combined with the mystique and intrigue surrounding the religion imagery and name-drop style references to philosophy, physics, and psychology make it extremely provocative and engaging. You also have all the controversy surrounding the show when it was released, with the push to different time slots, the ending upsetting fans, the struggles the team were facing, the immense and surging popularity, etc.

Then, End of Evangelion came out. Everything I mentioned before was blown through the roof, and the quality was improved significantly overall. You have a movie-ending to an outstanding series that can stand alone as a legitimate work of art. Every single facet of what NGE was is purely distilled and magnified. There has never have been a more provocative and polarizing animated film.

Now, here where things get weird. Despite its living popularity, the wave has ebbed as now it's just something to be remembered. There is no new Eva. People discuss it, recommend it constantly. There isn't an anime discussion board, forum, circle, or club that doesn't know what Eva is. Time passes, and you've finally got anime fans who have never seen Eva. You have Westerners who are introduced to anime through things like Dragon Ball Z and Studio Ghibli movies. A few of them see Eva and it literally blows their minds. It's the "newest" thing they've ever seen. They spread it as being this amazingly different, amazingly unique thing that's just so good it might just be the best thing ever.

Continued in next post
>>
>>154475963
Could you at least make some constructive arguments or offer some examples without leaning on the typical 4chan tier humour?
>>
>>154471905
you forgot muh pretentious
>>
>>154476147
You're just being contrarian and argumentative for the sake of it. It seems like you don't have a creative bone in your body, so you have unrealistic expectations of what is creative and what is derivative.
>>
>>154476162

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Tributes_to_Other_Fiction_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

Basically everything he's talking about
>>
>>154476160
This is where the problems really begin.

Unfortunately, this is all happening right around the time that Post-Modern thought and the components of it (deconstruction, extreme cynicism, simulacrums, etc.) is really starting to penetrate mass thought. People start to become disillusioned with what they view as "unrealistic" stories that treat topical human qualities, and it slides full-on into people thinking that anything lighthearted or romantic is somehow unauthentic and disingenuous. They also decide that anything that is analytical in nature is also somehow critical, and everyone being so neck-deep in the new shores of Post-Modernism are just in love with criticizing everything.

People start to desire things that focus on negative aspects of humanity again (this stuff comes in cycles), because they believe them to be more authentic and genuine. Well, everyone knows that "authentic" and "genuine" are just different ways to say "good", so through this process of mischaracterization and conflation, we arrive at "introspection and critique necessarily means it's good". That entire thought process was distilled into the thought-bite we now recognize by the word "deep".

So, we've already discussed how Eva, which is honestly completely good all by itself, is getting handed around throughout the growing anime fanbase and subculture, globally. Well, here's where everything gets fucked up forever: at this point, everyone knows that Eva is good and that "good" also means "deep", right? So it follows that if Eva is good, it must also be deep.

Everyone is so casually mischaracterizing and conflating everything, that now Evangelion is getting called things like "genre deconstruction" and "psychological analysis", basically because people who like it also want it to be recognized as "good", and those big words up there happen to fall into the pool of characteristics that let us know back then that things were "good".

Continued in the next post
>>
>>154476640
That this is the case doesn't mean it's bad, though.
>>
>>154476698

It's really just surface level comparisons.

You could make a case for Eva ripping off everything from The Bible to 2001
>>
>>154476798
Remember when people thought Pacific Rim was ripping off of Evangelion?
>>
>>154476160
>>154476686
And this is where we hit the final nail home.

So, we've got this process of Post-Modern thought becoming popular that's sort of making people just reject everything that used to be--romanticism, modern art, truth, authority, etc.--and things are getting replaced by irony, deconstruction, sarcasm, cynicism, so on and so forth. Well, that stuff is all happening because people are pretty good at recognizing bullshit (at least what they believe to be bullshit, anyway). And since we all love taking things to extremes as ideas get further distilled, distributed, and reinforced, we eventually arrive to contrarianism becoming a wide-spread reactionary process.

Well, people realized that the entire process of conflating "critical analysis" with "good" was bullshit. So, what was "good" is now just more disingenuous garbage. Here's where the next step of conflation happens, though. Well, if the previous obsession with deconstruction and critique was actually just bullshit, anything that was a deconstruction or critique is obviously bullshit, too. The problem is, there should have been a process of disassociation that never occurred.

And that, folks, brings us to now. See, Evangelion can arguably stand as a deconstruction or criticism of a lot of things (people, mecha anime, the anime industry, Anno himself, anime fans), but it's also not necessarily any of those things. Unfortunately, people just started assuming it was, because Eva is absolutely good beyond arguing and people conflated it with what was "good" during the zeitgeist of the last 90's and early 2000's. Then you get to the mid-2000's to now, and the current rejection of the previous zeitgeist has it conflated with everything that happens to be "bad" now.

And that's the problems with discussing Eva. Pretty much everyone who thinks it's "good" is conflating it with something it isn't, and the same is true for pretty much everyone who thinks it's shit.
>>
>>154476798
Well, exactly. It just seems like the Anon I'm arguing with is saying "Anno ripped off a bunch of other things, so it's not good!"

No one is denying Anno didn't draw from multiple source inspirations. And Anno likes to recycle ideas – scenes within Evangelion reference other scenes, the entire exercise that is Rebuild, etc.

But he's done an excellent job of *synthesizing* multiple series and inspiration into a narrative, successfully drawing from some of the most interesting scenes and ideas of various series, finding and iterating on commonalities across his fields of interest, and creating something that stands very well on its own.

"Gunbuster was better" is a stupid criticism of Evangelion the same way "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was better" is a stupid criticism of a given Tarantino. These directors are creating products that result from hours and hours (and hours!) of media consumption, and genuine interest in their source materials, and creating a very *personal* media product.

I know one of Anno's intentions with Rebuild is to create a framework where future directors can create their own Evangelion, without inherently tying the franchise to being Anno's creative baby. The most successful Evangelion is probably going to be one that does exactly what Anno's done – i.e. it can't just be a phoned-in movie/show that just references the current popular archetypes and trends, it'd have to be a director's very personal 'vision' of Evangelion, that draws from that individual's favourite movies, tv shows, books, stories, mythologies, etc. that, just like Anno is trying to do, uses the characters and settings we're familiar with, but moulds them around the director's long-standing desire to bring a given scene or moment from their favourite childhood story to life.
>>
>>154477106
>"Gunbuster was better" is a stupid criticism of Evangelion the same way "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was better" is a stupid criticism of a given Tarantino

>implying Tarantino directed The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Evafags

Also
>those tism posts
>>
>>154477106
BTW, this style of "recycling"/"tribute" is just inherent to Anno's storytelling style.

I'm really surprised that /a/ doesn't tear apart Shin Godzilla for being uncannily similar to the overall narrative structure of Evangelion 1.0. Anno does with Godzilla what he's always done – he takes a story he loves, "recycles" it by swapping out/reskinning various elements from one media property he likes for another one he's a fan of. But rather than leaving it like that and having a resultant 'clunky' incompatability, he uses that a first draft on which to build an "original vision" (or, as Anon is calling it, a "ripoff") of a story that results when the new elements he has introduced play off of each other.

The same way Anno took Nadia and mutated her into Shinji for Evangelion, or borrowed a hexagonal monster-of-the-week from some 1960s anime for Ramiel, Misato gets swapped out for that bureacrat whos name I forget, Ramiel gets swapped out for Godzilla, etc.

This isn't criticism, this isn't even necessarily meant to be a 'reference' or a 'tribute' or meant to populate a trivia page on a Wiki, it's just a way of getting the basic framework of a narrative together, and then afterwards telling a story within that structure.

But fuck you guys, I'm wasting too much of my day on 4chan.
>>
>>154477335
You haven't provided any genuine dialog. My only hope here is anyone else who likes Evangelion reads these unnecessarily long responses to your trolling and maybe learns to appreciate Eva more for the inspiration that went into it and in the context of Anno's narrative inclinations, instead of just "wow so deep wtf even happens in strumentality"
>>
>>154477446
>You haven't provided any genuine dialog
Neither have you. Also, I'm not the guy you've been responding to.
>baaw everyone against me is samefag
>>
>>154476160
>>154476686
>>154477073

>cycles of taste and "authenticity"

Sounds like the shit we had to learn about in Music 101

Nice contribution though, but I think it's undeniable that Evangelion does include deconstruction of contemporary anime archetypes, and psychological dissection of its characters' motivations who themselves fit into archetypical roles.
>>
>>154477584
I think it was intended to just be a show, but through retrospect and understanding that creators insert ideas into things "accidentally" we as external observers can understand how it can serve as a deconstruction or criticism of something.
>>
>>154477584
>but I think it's undeniable that Evangelion does include deconstruction of contemporary anime archetypes
Objectively wrong, seeing as that's not even what the word deconstruction means.
>and psychological dissection of its characters' motivations who themselves fit into archetypical roles.
100% pure delusion in text form.
>>
>>154477874
Yea, I don't really know where he's getting that stuff from.

Like I said, we as people who are watching it after the fact can inflect whatever the fuck we want onto it, but I don't think any of the development team intended to deconstruct or criticize anything, at least not on purpose.
>>
>>154474141
What the fuck that's the only one that crosses mosts boards in this stupid sites. If you have a passion for something and greentext it anywhere you are going to get the whole "lel such autism" post pack.
>>
>>154477874
>>154477962

>deconstruction

Eva starts off seeming formulaic as a mecha anime, and totally subverts the expectations attached to those stories by essentially saying to the viewer "this is what would really happen if you gave an orphaned 14 year old the task of saving humanity in a giant robot"
>>
>>154478305
You need to watch more mecha Anime, Eva didn't subvert anything.
>>
>>154478305
t. has no experience with the mecha genre outside of code geass and eva

t. illiterate
>>
>>154478262
> greentext it anywhere
What the fuck does this mean? Why would you greentext something you're passionate about?

Either way, I don't know about any other board, but no, acting enthusiastic about anime is not going to get you mocked on /a/ except by the occasional obvious shitposter.
>>
>>154478305
> by essentially saying to the viewer "this is what would really happen if you gave an orphaned 14 year old the task of saving humanity in a giant robot"
Shinji's not even an orphan. Are you arguing that Asuka's the MC, or what?
>>
>>154478364

It subverts the EXPECTATIONS of the viewer based on the formulaic setup and characters filling archetypical roles.
>>
>>154478305
But there's tonnes of mecha anime where the pilot experiences things like stress and psychological trauma from piloting
>>
>>154478305
I understand what a genre deconstruction is and how we can see it within especially NGE, even if that's not entirely accurate.

But deconstruction is a post-creation, post-consumption analysis (and frequently, critique) of what the actual message of the product was. It's looking past the words on the page to understand the greater meaning behind why those words were chosen.

In order for Eva to intrinsically be a deconstruction, it would have had to explicitly challenge or analyze some greater component of a related entity or construction, such as character dialogue engaged in analyzing why someone would use a giant robot to represent the power fantasy of wielding authority.

In this specific case, you could make the argument that the extreme suffering the the character experiences from utilizing that authority (getting in the robot) is a critique of how individuals incorrectly view the world in terms of have and have-not which they use as an excuse to justify their own lack of ambition or some such, but that's just your own interpretation.

Eva itself is not a deconstruction. *WE* as outside observers can use it to deconstruct other ideas, or we can deconstruct Eva itself to critique or analyze something else.
>>
>>154478600
Not unless you're a newfag who's only seen less than 50 Anime
>>
>>154478644
>I understand what a genre deconstruction is
No, you don't. Stop misusing the word deconstruction.

A deconstruction is a literary analysis viewpoint that asserts that no work has an inherent meaning and that the only meaning it can have is the individual viewpoint of anyone who reads it. It has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

You're illiterate.
You're completely inexperienced with mecha.
You're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>154478649

Which was likely 95% of viewers in 1995

>>154478644

>In order for Eva to intrinsically be a deconstruction, it would have had to explicitly challenge or analyze some greater component of a related entity or construction

Fair enough. Thanks for not being a shitter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZCx-XXtv0

Eva is a meme just like Death Grips.
>>
>>154478933
>Which was likely 95% of viewers in 1995
So it subverts expectations if you haven't seen other mecha anime. And this makes it different from other mecha anime how?
>>
>>154478933
No dumbass, in 1995 japanese were used to shows like that.

Eva isn't a deconstruction, it's not original, and is as atypical as you can get of mecha Anime.
>>
>>154478811
I think you've got me confused with someone else.

Reread my post and figure out why you're wrong, because I literally said things like

>how we can see it within especially NGE, even if that's not entirely accurate
and
>Eva itself is not a deconstruction. *WE* as outside observers can use it to deconstruct other ideas, or we can deconstruct Eva itself to critique or analyze something else.

I'm not illiterate, I'm not inexperience with mecha, and I'm not talking out of my ass. You're the one failing to recognize that Derrida's "deconstruction" and "genre deconstruction" are two different things; that Derrida's "deconstruction" has next to nothing to do with literary analysis and everything to do literary criticism (those are two very different things, Mr. Semantics); and that I already made the distinction between the two in my previous post.

Also, Derrida's deconstruction has nothing to do with "individual" viewpoints beyond that there are multiple interpretations of any given literary work. It certainly didn't talk about how texts had "no meaning", because the entire point was recognizing that there are multiple intrinsic and irreconcilable meanings within all works of literature.
>>
>>154478984

>atypical

you mean typical?
>>
Eva isnt a deconstruction at all. it's a love letter to shows like Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon with a bit of psychological theory thrown in and applied to some characters. that was never the original intention however, Anno just ended up developing an interest in it halfway through the show. i don't know where that stupid shit started but every pretentious faggot on earth calls Eva a deconstruction to sound "smart" and "cultured" when it comes to anime.

one thing i did like about eva is how it changed drastically in the second half, which is arguably a subversion. when asuka showed up it basically become a monster of the week mecha show for a bit, but at episode 14 it started toying with the psychology of the characters. that's why, while im sure said anon was a newfag, i cant agree with >>154478649 . it definitely had a bit of a subversion, especially since the show became increasingly violent at that point and a lot of the lightheartedness of the show after asuka showed up has disappeared. i'm fairly sure that's a textbook definition of a subversion.

i think this anon hits it on the head.
>>154476160
>>154476686
>>154477073
>>
>>154479088
No, I read your post.
>Derrida's "deconstruction"
Fuck off with that shit. Derrida didn't even know what he meant and he's completely irrelevant as always. Either use words properly or get called an idiot.
>>
>>154479268
Then you inflected on it whatever the fuck you felt like.

>fuck off with that shit
Fuck off with your shit, you asspained reactionary. It's not my fault that Derrida confused the hell out of you because you didn't even bother to read the Greeks.
>>
File: UX7148d.gif (185KB, 390x290px) Image search: [Google]
UX7148d.gif
185KB, 390x290px
>the debate has once again broken down into definitional disagreements and ad hominems
>>
>>154479664
at least it's not waifu-faggotry that ruins every other eva thread
>>
>>154479752

Unless you bait someone into any other kind of debate, that's the natural state of them
>>
Wow these people are so smart! I cannot understand anything they just typed out.
>>
File: DiscoDandy.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
DiscoDandy.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Levels of depth in anime
SOA<Eva<SnK<Jojo<Berserk<One Piece<Space Dandy
>>
>>154470269
The puddle is a mirror that reflects the viewers, humanity?
>>
>>154472944
He's right you know.
>>
>>154479565
Derrida literally does not know what he meant.
>Derrida claimed that all of his essays were attempts to define what deconstruction is, and that deconstruction is necessarily complicated and difficult to explain since it actively criticises the very language needed to explain it.
And you sure as hell don't know what it is either. It has absolutely nothing to do with "circumventing tropes" like you fucking internet intellectuals want to believe. We have a definition of what deconstruction means and it has nothing to do with Derrida's musing about his post-structuralist irrelevance. Additionally, I very much doubt you're familiar with Derrida's work and it's more likely you're just another Eva wanker who uses Derrida as your wikipedia shield against logical arguments about how Evangelion is a bog-standard mecha anime with elements found all over the genre and is no way some kind of trope busting circumnavigating messiah of anime like you desperately want to believe. Eat shit, you pseudo-intellectual fuck.
>>
>>154474437
Well, you can deny that the sky allows more blue light through than other colors, but you'd just be a fucking idiot.
>>
>>154476160
>>154476686
>>154477073
is this pasta?
>>
>>154480048
When you're right you're right anon
>>
>>154480248

>Additionally, I very much doubt you're familiar with Derrida's work and it's more likely you're just another Eva wanker who uses Derrida as your wikipedia shield

what the fuck are you even talking about

he's not even arguing with you about Eva, you started some shit with him over the definition of deconstruction
>>
File: IMG_0005.jpg (97KB, 530x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
97KB, 530x750px
So, that scene obviously symbolizes an AT field between Shinji and Asuka? It's like the wall of Jericho, the situation is similar, Shinji's once again seemingly rejected and is unable to understand that Asuka needs support. Even the color of that barrier is orange.
>>
>>154482434
It symbolizes that Asuka is a roastie cunt
>>
>>154470269
Evangelion is considered deep - why? Because one can never discover any bottom to it.

Evangelion is not even shallow.
>>
Reminder that Shinji is canonically heterosexual
>>
>>154472763
>TTGL
>shallow
Spotted the retard.
>>
>>154485087
That was never said in that post. Looks like you're the retard.
>>
>>154472763
This.
>>
>>154482434
No you're just fucking stupid.

These kinds of posts are the reason people make fun of Eva fans.
>>
>>154485087
TTGL is a deeper Anime than Eva, for sure
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.