[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /a/ I have a kind of dumb question: are mangakas also writters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

Hello /a/ I have a kind of dumb question: are mangakas also writters? I mean like professional writers, having the same knowledge and abilities that an experienced book or tv writer has. Because it seems really hard to come up with these convulted overarching stories that seem planned since the beginning, doing characterization, plotting and all that stuff. Not only they are incredibly talented artists but also great storytellers, so how do they do it?
>>
>>154329535
Fuck off frognigger
>>
>>154329535
What the actual fuck are you talking about? Maybe you should properly collect your thought before vomiting on your phone.
>>
File: 1481595461357.jpg (43KB, 597x508px) Image search: [Google]
1481595461357.jpg
43KB, 597x508px
They have editors you silly frogposter.
>>
>>154329535
>asking a serious question
>posting froge
Choose one.
>>
>>154329861
All editors do is cut shit or force them to add shit. They don't make the story.
>>
>>154329706
This.
>>
>>154330236
>>154329706
What? I was very clear.
>>
>>154329535
>Because it seems really hard to come up with these convulted overarching stories that seem planned since the beginning
If only that's how mangaka did it
>>
File: 1481523185140.jpg (78KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1481523185140.jpg
78KB, 666x666px
>>154329535
>are mangakas also writters?
They are.
>Learn to draw to make my own manga
>Finally after years I can defend myself
>Realize that coming up with stories and plots has nothing to do with drawing skill
>Now learning to write
>>
>>154329535
>I mean like professional writers
If they write their manga as a job, they're obviously professionals, nigger.

> having the same knowledge and abilities that an experienced book or tv writer has
What does this even mean? There's no certification test to take to become a writer. Again, if you make a living doing it, you're a professional writer. The Twilight woman or the DeGrassi screenwriters are as much professionals as anyone else.
>>
Making comics is being an artist, a writer, a director, an actor, a cameraman, a colorist, an editor, a sound designer, a consultant, etc, etc.
>>
>>154330749
>an actor
>a sound designer
Let's not get carried away here.
>>
>>154331026
>Actor
They say that an animator is an actor with a pencil. Same with comic artists. Do you think that poses just pop in their minds? Artists have to get in the mind of the character and act to get poses. I know this from experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E71aPcnG6k

>Sound designer
You might think that onomatopoeias are not hard work until you have to write them yourself.Manga is ridiculously heavy on them.
https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/japanese-onomatopoeia/
>>
>>154330706
I know anyone can write fanfiction and crap like Twilight but how do you write GOOD quality stuff? (Regarding manga)
>>
>>154331425
>how do you write GOOD quality stuff?
>anyone can write fanfiction and crap like Twilight
Good is subjective. If people like it, it's good, if people don't. It's bad. Simple as that.
>>
>>154331492
That's not what I mean. It's not like the more famous mangaka are just guys who can draw really good and decided to make manga. They are obviously skilled storytellers who can design an extensive world and mythology and slowly develop while delivering engaging stories week to week with compelling characters, and weaving all those threads in one big organized work of art. What I mean is where does that writing ability come from?
>>
>>154331544
There are fundamentals and theories of story telling such as
https://youtu.be/KBiIkVIzZAg

But there is no ultimate answer. Writing is just bleeding on the keyboard and you hope something good comes out.
>>
Have a bit of experience in related industry:

Usually, serialized materials either have many ghostwriters drafting up scenarios and passing them around or an editor who heavily pushes the artistic direction so that the writer/mangaka doesn't get himself into a hole or alienate his audience.

Not to mention the immense hoops and pitching that needs to be done to get serialized in the first place. I daresay most serialized works (unless their premise can carry the entire work) basically are planned beginning to end by the time the issue appears on a shelf.
>>
>>154331544
It's not really an amazing ability that only an ubermensch can do, usually all it takes is a vivid imagination, dedication and love for their work. And in the end, whether their work gets accepted depends on the readers, not really the quality of the work itself.
>>
>>154331696
What about artists who work alone like Yoshihiro Togashi?

And are long running manga like Naruto really planned since the beginning? Like, did Kishimoto conceive the major events and characters that show up after the time skip (like Madara and his role in Naruto's birthing) since before publishing the first chapter? Apology for using Naruto as example.
>>
>>154331808
That's up to each artist.

Watch these documentaries on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/D1_hcASRuao
Akiko is one of the most productive artists ever so it might give you an idea of how they think.
>>
>>154331928
>>154331696
>>154331652
Thanks for these answers, very appreciated.
>>
>>154330621
How do I learn to draw?
>>
>>154331696
>I daresay most serialized works (unless their premise can carry the entire work) basically are planned beginning to end by the time the issue appears on a shelf.
I know you said exceptions exist but I just cannot believe entirely planned works are even a majority with how many serialized stories swerve massively or hit massive drops in quality
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.