[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Dragon Dentist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: dragondentist.jpg (129KB, 448x635px) Image search: [Google]
dragondentist.jpg
129KB, 448x635px
Thoughts about this tv special
>>
>>153998482
better than Eva
>>
CGshit ruined it.
>>
It's goooood
>>
CGgold saved it.
>>
>>153998482
Based Tsurumaki saving anime. The pseudo third impact sequence with Bell's voiceover was great.
>>
>>153998482
AotS.
Shame about the CGI, though.
>>
File: 0poZGv2.jpg (54KB, 205x221px) Image search: [Google]
0poZGv2.jpg
54KB, 205x221px
>>153999750
the CG was not that bad honestly. you could see it clearly but it was atleast very consistent with the shows artstyle.
>>
it was okay, nothing really special or outstanding.
>>
File: Saurons Teeth.webm (839KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Saurons Teeth.webm
839KB, 720x404px
My master, Sauron the great bids thee welcome!
>>
So was that it? It's only two episodes? Felt like the story was only just beginning and then it's over.
>>
Bad CGI, inferior character design and art (as compared with the short) and some bad writing, but overall it was alright.
>>
>>153998482
It's great
>>
I think they wanted to fit too much in 2 episodes. I would have wanted them to make at least 2 more to flesh out the universe because it was interesting
>>
>>154003499

This. It should have been 4-6 eps.
>>
>>153998482
Pretty cool. How was it received in Japan?
>>
enjoyed it, good sound track
>>
>>153998482
Should have made a movie other than 2 45 minute episodes. Though it would have been panned by movie standards.
>>
lazy
>>
Neat.
>>
>>153998482
Does she really practice dentistry in this?
If she does I dont think I can watch this being from that field and not be autistic about critiquing everything she does
>>
>>154007507
Most of the time they are just flossing and brushing the teeth.No serious dentistry.
>>
>>154007507
It's Dragon Dentistry
>>
>>154003579
I agree, 6-10 episodes would have been so satisfying.
>>
>>154007608
You're right, 10-16 episodes would really have been the best option for this series.
>>
The first episode established a really interesting world.

The second episode started with a timeskip that was completely pointless except to make the dragons even more confusing. And then went backwards in time again. It then introduced an incredibly mysterious antagonist, more mysteries about the dragons, and seemed to be setting up the worldbuilding.

And then it just fucking ends. It just fucking ends out of nowhere. It's like they took a 13 episode series and cut out literally everything but the first and last episode. I've never been so fucking blue balled in my life.
>>
>>154007640
I'm completly in sync with you. 2 episodes was perfect.
>>
>>154007699
>It's like they took a 13 episode series and cut out literally everything but the first and last episode
I never got that impression. It felt like a really complete story. What exactly did you think was missing?
>>
>>154008441
>What exactly did you think was missing?

Everything?
There's so many unanswered questions about what the fuck the dragons really are, who exactly Bell is besides "some sheltered rich kid," in fact Bell himself is really uncompelling and showing him actually developing and would have made his shitty conflict feel more weighty, who the fuck was Blanco and why was he immortal, traitorbitch basically committed the biggest warcrime and then she just flies off and everybody laughs(?), we don't know anything about the big epic war or how it started or who's in it except that the "enemy" seems to be some mishmash of Russians and Germans...

There was a lot of shit that could have been expanded, that should have been expanded, and it just wasn't. It feels like a significant portion of the story is simply missing. It's too fast. It's like getting on a roller coaster, it's over in 80 seconds and you're just confused.
>>
>>154008919
Literally none of those questions matter for the story of the anime
>what the fuck the dragons really are
Basically gods
>who exactly Bell is besides "some sheltered rich kid,"
But that's exactly what he was.
>who the fuck was Blanco and why was he immortal.
A guy with a lot of luck and a fatalistic view on life similiar to the Dragon Dentists.
>traitorbitch basically committed the biggest warcrime and then she just flies off and everybody laughs(?)
She still has the Dragon Dentist tattoo/mark after emerging from the tooth and the Dentist's literal trademark is accepting fate no matter what.
>we don't know anything about the big epic war or how it started or who's in it except that the "enemy" seems to be some mishmash of Russians and Germans
What does the war matter?
>>
>>154009086

OK buddy well just because you were satisfied with that doesn't mean everybody else is going to be, or was. It would have been better if there had been a little more time devoted to the characters and the world it set up.
>>
>>154001112
Kek
>>
>>154009155
What benefit would it be to learn more about the war?
Do you really need an explanation for Blanco when accepting Fate is an important theme of the show?
I can understand wanting more character development but I don't understand what's missing from the world-building from the standpoint of not explaining stuff that's not necessary.
>>
>>154009385

That stuff is not necessary but it helps to make the plot more substantial, it helps you get a sense of context for all the stuff happening, it makes it feel more complete. You don't have to agree, but don't act like just because you accept it for how bare bones it is, that yours is the only correct point of view.
>>
>>154008919
Most of that doesn't even matter. The dragons are dragons. Bell is just some sheltered rich kid, though him being uncompelling is a fair complaint. Blanco was just a soldier who didn't die until it was his fate to do so. Nobody held anything against Shibana because that's just how Dragon Dentists are, they've accepted their fate and everything that comes with it. The war is just the backdrop, the details of it aren't important at all.

It's the sort of story that places more importance on the ideas conveyed than the explicit details of the setting. I like that sort of story myself, though I suppose it's not to everyone's tastes.
>>
It's okay. No need to be overblown.
>>
>>154009540

I like that type of story too, but there is such a thing as being too sparse on the details, and that was my problem with this story. Just like you can have too much, this had too little. There is literally no harm from having it be two episodes longer so that the setting could have some additional flavor put into it, this would not have hurt the ideas at all. In fact it would have only benefited them because there would be additional context, additional material fleshing out both the setting and the motivations of the characters, making the whole thing seem more "real." Instead it's so bare it's breezy. Things just seem to happen and it's over before you know it.

I'm not saying it should have been 50 episodes long, but it felt like it should have been longer. Like the story was just beginning and then all of a sudden it was finished. You don't HAVE to feel the same way, that was how it felt to me.
>>
It was good, I hope they adapt more of the Animator Expo shorts into OVAs/shows, there were a lot of good ideas there.
>>
>>153998482
Is it just my imagination or was Blanco the only one with cavities/missing teeth?
Maybe it had to do with his "luck" other than the theory of being ex-dentist
>>
>>154009470
I also wanted more answers, but you missed the point of this show - (not)accepting fate/death. That's all. And the show delivered everything you should know to understand it's message.
>>
>>154012456

No bro I understood the message just fine, but I still wanted a little more. I know there was enough to get across that message. To be honest I don't care, I still wanted more.
>>
Hammerhead OVA fucking when?
>>
>>153998482
OK.
>>
>>153998482
Bell's motivation lacked any kind of consistency that I could see between part 1 and part 2.
In part 1, it was understandable that he was uncomfortable in an alien environment after the trauma of being killed and resurrected. His reluctance to consort with the "enemy" and help with what amounted to maintenance on an enemy vessel of war was understandable. Through part 1, he grew in his relationships and understanding in a very believable way.
Then part 2 comes along and he quickly reverts to a wet rag that is content to be a spectator to events around him. Even when he first sees the men who killed him the first time, he seems oddly unmoved to any kind of action.
He finally is spurred into action because of a rather lukewarm concern for the girl, and even then is literally dragged along by her as she jumps on the plane to retrieve the tooth.
Then, back on the dragon, he still seems largely content to watch the action until he finally gets the urge to head off to the final showdown over the wisdom tooth.
Overall, I never got a sense for what motivated him in part 2 or any developing thought process that made him act so inconsistently.
>>
Shit.
>>
>>154016820
He seemingly acclimates to most aspects of his new life by the end of the first one. Great. But that doesn't mean that when shit hits the fan he'll be okay with everything, which is why he "reverts" and questions what is happening. It's pretty clear that what he cares about the most is whatever the main character's name was, and the conflict is between her acceptance of the dentist lifestyle and his views about it.
>>
>>153998482
Pretty great. CG wasn't revolutionary but it was handled well; very unintrusive. Some people on /a/ just throw a fit about it because they're conditioned to hate CG in every form it appears in. Other shows that use CG need to take notes from Dragon Dentist.
>>
>>154007507
It's more like SnK/Eva battles vs. hostile mushishi monsters. I felt like I learned absolutely nothing about dentistry, and they were never really going at that angle. You should be able to remain untriggered watching this.
>>
>>154007699
>The second episode started with a timeskip
No it didn't, though.
>>154008919
>what the fuck the dragons really are
Dragons are like a repository of souls for the entire world. Fate is real, and it is through controlling this fate that dragons are deified. The souls residing in the dragons' teeth don't like being dead, causing mushi to form and cause cavities, ultimately with the goal of destroying the teeth and releasing the souls held on the "other side" of the teeth.
>who the fuck was Blanco and why was he immortal
He wasn't immortal. He was a strong believer in fate and thus never expected to die before his "role in life" was up. You can also see tons of people like him in real life, when the stress of war gets too much they just stop giving a fuck and peacefully stroll through enemy fire because really there's as much of a chance of dying that way as there is ducking behind cover accomplishing nothing. So he's either a man who acknowledges fate and hedges his existence on fate carrying him through the war, or he has a severe case of PTSD and can't be bothered to give a fuck.
>traitorbitch basically committed the biggest warcrime and then she just flies off and everybody laughs
The dentists are far removed from the regular world. They commend people on their "bravery" for fighting against fate, even though that results in their deaths most of the time. Traitorbitch was done, they're not going to catch a flying target anyway, what did you expect them to do? Part of the necessities of being a dentist is being accepting of all the things life throws at you, you can see this when genkibro dies in episode one and they just accept it as part of life.
>we don't know anything about the big epic war or how it started or who's in it except that the "enemy" seems to be some mishmash of Russians and Germans
So? This is a story about the dragon dentists, with part of the message being "war is bad". Getting us involved in the war politics would be distracting.
>>
>>154017893
>No it didn't, though.

It literally starts with some woman in the future typing about how there was epic dragon war back in the day but now they don't do it anymore and then there's turbulence and a dragon eats the storm. For no reason other than to show dragons can eat storms too.
>>
>>154017937
I didn't get the impression that that was taking place in the future. I figured it was telling us that the "main" country was breaking international laws by using their dragon in the war, which is why they caught the enemy off guard at the beginning of episode 1.
If it was in the future, then it was telling us that the main casts' dragon survives, giving a frame of reference for the carnage we see at the climax of the series.
>>
>>154017937
That's not a timeskip. It would be if the story stayed there.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.