[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions from someone, who might translate manga: Are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: img000029.png (485KB, 787x901px) Image search: [Google]
img000029.png
485KB, 787x901px
Questions from someone, who might translate manga:

Are there fonts you prefer?
How important is redrawing to you?
How important are the written sounds?
Do you prefer a more literal or a more readable loose translation?
>>
>Are there fonts you prefer?
No, as long as it's not an awful one.
>How important is redrawing to you?
Depends, if it's a crappy manga not needed, but if the art is good on the other hand...
>How important are the written sounds?
Not very, just add a note or something if relevant
>Do you prefer a more literal or a more readable loose translation?
Something inbetween, but leaning towards literal. Don't go full rubadubdub.
>>
>>153748982
I love Architects Daughter
>>153748982
Only to join doublespreads
>>153748982
A bit, but not too vital
>>153748982
Comedy works better with loose.It depends on context.
>>
>>153748982
Something that isn't Anime ace, Wild Word, Astro City.
Very important
Important. They are present because it's important in a manga.
the most accurate possible
>>
>>153749210
>not liking Wild Words

It's overused sometimes but it's much better than using a shitty, unreadable font because you think you're a special snowflake.
>>
>>153748982
Yeah, I like CC Astro City and CC Meanwhile.
Very important.
Not much. Just add a note if it's vital.
The most accurate one.
>>
File: DBS_18c.png (292KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
DBS_18c.png
292KB, 852x480px
>>153748982
Anything Wild-wordslike works. As long as you don't go Papyrus or comic sans I dont' think most people care too much.
It's preferred for high quality releases, but never a dealbreaker. If a scanslator doesn't have the time or skill to redraw, it's perfectly acceptable to just superimpose translated text as long as it's visible and readable.
How important are the written sounds?
I prefer that people don't try to redraw the sounds, since they're usually part of the artwork. A note in the gutter is fine, but 90% of the time translation is unnecessary, unless the sound is important to the joke or the plot.
Readable is usually better, the spirit of the text is far more important than word-for-word accuracy. Replacing untranslatable jokes with something that has a similar effect is never a terrible idea.

Godspeed, potential translator-san.
>>
>>153748982
>rub a dub dub arigato for the grub
>>
>>153748982
I like LetterOMatic a lot. I've recently fallen in love with CC Adam Kubert as well.
Well, I'm not going to leave a job half-finished or shitty looking.
Not important unless it has a direct link to a later plot point. The only time I do them otherwise is when want to give all my love to a project.
Accuracy comes first, but readability is also extremely important.
>>
>>153748982
Do your best to not sacrifice accuracy for readability nor readability for accuracy.
>>
>>153748982
No professional translator goes with literal unless he's translating something related to robotics or medicine. But the majority of people here are so brainwashed by bad translations, they'll start screaming "meeemes" if you try to do a good one. So if you want approval from /a/, go for literal.
>>
>>153750263
Reminds me of that old One Piece scan where the translators left a word untranslated, then included a T/N that read "If you know japanese you should know what this means".

Fucking bravo, translator-san.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.