[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It saddens me to see /a/ show little to no interest in Onihei,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Onihei-anime-image-000.png (214KB, 610x367px) Image search: [Google]
Onihei-anime-image-000.png
214KB, 610x367px
It saddens me to see /a/ show little to no interest in Onihei, arguably one of the better shows this season, a studio debut at that.

What's the crux of this indifference? Is it the setting, perhaps some of you find it dry and exploited, or quite the opposite, too exclusive and aimed at history buffs? Perhaps it's the nature of this show, as it is essentially a villain-of-the-week and doesn't promise a change of pace? Or perhaps the characters, predominantly middle aged people shown at work?

Talk to me. Why doesn't Onihei captivate you?
>>
Probably the setting. A lot of people here a too casual for anime that is set in that era and doesn't feature some kind of mecha or moe girls with magic.
>>
My guess would be it's aimed at an older audience but set up as a crime of the week show, with an invincible protagonist. So not a lot of depth basically.
Though I've been keeping up with this and not hating it.

...Also it's not on crunchyroll, and despite vocal haters, most people use that or previously Funi.
>>
I'm neutral about the setting, there's good and bad historical stuff (I'm slowly watching House of Five Leaves, which seems be about dreadfully boring rudimentarily morally conflicted people, which probably affects my enthusiasm), but I haven't heard a lot of praise I guess.
>>
>>153336537
Never heard of it, and will never pick it up since you are acting like some fucking pretentious faggot.
>>
Because nothing about it was captivating? It seems to be a vaguely okay show in a genre I don't care about. Kind of like historical Japanese settings, but not enough to watch a show I won't really enjoy.

What made you expect that more people would watch it?
>>
Setting has nothing to do with it. The show is bland and unimpressive on every level.

>>153337189
House of Five leaves is one of those obscure shows that gets picked up mostly by people who are going to love it. Thus it gets high praise when it's mentioned but it's otherwise not that noteworthy.
>>
I only found out about it randomly trying to find out the next airdate of Gabriel Dropout because I'm enjoying that show so much.

Loved House of Five Leaves, dropped Hyouge Mono because I lost interest even though I liked the premise and the show. After being on /a/ since '05 and considering which shows I liked and didn't like, the shows I would be excited to see and not, and the shows /a/ got excited about I reached a simple conclusion.

/a/ will commonly espouse a love of more mature shows like Rakujo this season, Hyouge mono, onihei, spice and wolf, etc. They will also say that shows like Cross Ange, Vulvarave, Code Gayass, etc. are all trainwrecks, yet if you look at which shows get the most attention it is undoubtedly these.

Spice and Wolf is probably the most lauded series for a reason, older protagonist and mature themes while adding a cute girl. My theory is that, by post volume alone, the people who actually enjoy more mature anime won't be talking about it and tend to not post as often, where the moe/trainwrecks shows will get endless discussion because people want to share in the spectacle of the show.

Onihei doesn't have fun scenes in it that are easily communicable, the girls aren't cute, the story takes itself seriously, the style is mature and there's actual writing involved in developing the characters. That's not easy to discuss, especially for a throwaway posting format like /a/.
I think it's always going to be this way, mature/slowball anime always get these "why isn't anyone talking about this show it was amazing" meta-threads.
That's because the older you get, the less you post, and the people watching this are probably older or more mature and so they won't post for an hour in a Gabriel Dropout thread about Satania.
>>
It's not on HS
>>
Onihei suffers from poor visuals and annoying CGI, I don't want to bully M2 because they're very new and small studio, but I can see anons not wanting to watch it for these reasons. The setting is also part of the problem, period drama is really not that popular on /a/, plus the lack of any cute girl or boy and not showing up in the HS schedule kills any interest.

I like Onihei though, I think the show is okay for what it is, while no masterpiece, it's very enjoyable, the cast really good though, I'm slightly suprised that there is no seiyuufags watching this.
>>
>>153336537
We have a weekly thread.
>>
>>153336537
>Why doesn't Onihei captivate you?

I was pretty excited but all the episodes have been exactly the same, "he was a good person, now its an asshole", you can resume 4 of the 5 episodes with that line.
>>
I think its fucking great and the masses of /a/ honestly dont deserve such refined greatness. I fuckin hate the spinning camera in the fight scenes tho. I'm hoping the last two episodes have great combat scenes.
>>
I was hoping spy kun from ep 1 to be the main focus of the story.
>>
>>153338818
>you can resume 4 of the 5 episodes with that line.

Did you even what the last episode?
>>
>>153338935
*watch
>>
>>153338935
Exactly, thats the only one that was different
>>
>>153339019
Not really, the only one character that fits in your description is Ofusa from episode 2 and maybe Kumehachi's mentor from episode 1. So far all the villains were mostly just evil murderers.
>>
>>153336537
One of my favorites this season. It's got a very mature and realistic setting and theme that I really enjoy. Also great music.

>>153336998
Average /a/ users are spergy teens or early 20's hipsters, thus not the target audience.
>invincible protagonist
He got his ass beat last episode. He's far from invincible, just skilled and lucky. At least he's not pulling through with determination and friendship power ala generic shounen.
>>
>>153336537
I like it but it just doesn't work well as an anime. I'd rather read it as a novel or watch it live action. What it does well could be expressed better in live action, and it doesn't exploit what it can do via animation.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.