[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you take visual direction into account when rating anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: ngecinema3.jpg (106KB, 1169x443px) Image search: [Google]
ngecinema3.jpg
106KB, 1169x443px
Do you take visual direction into account when rating anime?

Gorgeous visuals and shot composition can save sub-par animation for me.
>>
Eva is literally a directional masterpiece, I honestly never expected Anno to be so professional at it
>take into account
It's an exploration of the visual medium, the most important one
>>
Yes.
>>
What episode are Eva's production values supposed to start dropping? I hear people often complain that the latter half of the show look worse or that it has less animation but I never noticed a drastic change. (apart form the last two episodes of course)
>>
File: Naruto-Shippuden-493.jpg (2MB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Naruto-Shippuden-493.jpg
2MB, 2880x1620px
>Do you take visual direction into account when rating anime?
yeah that's why i rate naruto a 9/10
>>
>>153292862
You keep posting this and nobody ever responds and Im actually starting to feel bad. We know anon, its ok that you like naruto. No one cares though, so that's enough now.
>>
File: Naruto-Shippuden-492.jpg (2MB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Naruto-Shippuden-492.jpg
2MB, 2880x1620px
>>153292951
the only people who should feel bad are all the naruto haters who dismissed this great show with le entry level anime meme despite it being better than anything that /a/ rates AOTS or AOTY
>>
>>153292951
Call me a newfag but are you saying that the naruto visual direction threads are not ironic shitposting but some deluded anon being serious?
>>
>>153291276
sure
that's one of the reasons I think Eva is so good, under that aspect it's the best anime I've seen
>>153292862
>yes [I take visual direction into account when rating anime]
pic unrelated I imagine
>>
File: Naruto-Shippuden-140.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Naruto-Shippuden-140.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
>>153293346
>pic unrelated I imagine
what's that supposed to mean?

are you seriously trying to deny the brilliance of naruto's visual direction?
>>
>>153293420
11/10 baito senpai.
>>
>>153293420
yes that's what I'm doing
are you gonna prove me wrong or you're just going to keep posting screenshots of scenes you found cool?
>>
File: vlcsnap-00049.png (2MB, 1476x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00049.png
2MB, 1476x1080px
>>153291276
This is an audiovisual medium... of fokken course. How do you not?
>>
File: Inokawa 5.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Inokawa 5.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Not often, but I love it when a single episode's visual direction is surprisingly stand-out from the norm of the show it's from.
>>
>>153292775
Aside from the last 2 episodes of course there really isn't a notable drop, the only scene that ever struck me as odd was Kaji and Misato talking after/during having sex, the shot doesn't change during the entire conversation, this is a technique that Eva uses often but here it doesn't seem particularly impactful or important to the scene. I'd love someone to prove me wrong on that but I always assumed it was because of tv censorship policies
>>
If I did it would more often than not count against them, very few anime even bother with shot composition beyond very basic framing or obvious symbolism. When a show does use visual direction to it's advantage I am always happy though as like many others in this thread already stated, it can make the show.
>>
>>153299511
Well, in that scene they wanted to focus more on the dialogue and the emotional dichotomy between Kaji and Misato in that scene. Actually depicting the sex would be unnessecary and keep the viewer from taking the scene seriously.
>>
>>153292775
The values never dropped. EVA had a steady budget and was the highest rated anime airing that year. The final two episodes were originally gonna be what End of Evangelion was but the network went apeshit when they depicted Kaworu getting his head popped off by Shinji, which was hidden from the censors deliberately before the episode was aired on primetime TV. This was answered in a thread on Monday.
>>
>>153299856
I'm not asking them to depict sex, most of the lengthy shot is during dialogue, they only start fucking again at the end. It just seems like a strange choice to have a static frame for that long, particularly during the dialogue about the cigarettes. I am all for not depicting the characters in the scene but I feel that several different shots of the room would have worked much better there.
>>
>>153299511
>>153299997
After episode 15 there does seem to be less mundane scenes animated, with the exception of episode 19 witch is visually one of the best in the show and episode 20 which is like 80% reused shots. That being said, the less active scenes fit the gradual change in tone of the show and reflect the mood of the characters.

>This was answered in a thread on Monday
The promise Anno made to the producer about not killing kids? That wasn't made up then?
>>
>>153300307
I don't think it was entirely false, I had heard about the deadline issues and the problem with episode 24 before but Eva's budget issues are mostly a myth, the lowered production value is mostly a result of the heavy rewrites and resulting deadline issues because of all the changes Anno kept making.
>>
>>153291276
>Do you take visuals into account when rating a visual work?
No, I just like reading the subs.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.