[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Danmachi English Dub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 223.png (743KB, 719x1000px) Image search: [Google]
223.png
743KB, 719x1000px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKd3FYNmFtE

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you hate it?
>>
It's fine I guess. I just want to cum all over Hestia though
>>
>>153250188
7. Bell's not cute enough.
>>
8/10 cant stand it
i cant tell who's voice i hate more
>>
>>153250188

I thought voice actors were meant to play a character, not repeat the same performance every time.
>>
>>153250561
Not with English dubs my man
>>
I think it's fine.

Have no real problem with it.
>>
As much as the original show, so probably around 8/10.
>>
File: 1256702345515.jpg (54KB, 412x371px) Image search: [Google]
1256702345515.jpg
54KB, 412x371px
>>153250561
Don't know how long you've been around, but it's much the same with Japanese VAs. Sure, there are some that can do multiple voices, but they definitely aren't a majority.
>>
>>153250806
Doesn't surprise me. I don't follow who does which roles; I do occasionally recognize someone by their voice but that's not very often.
>>
>>153250188
literally who
>>
>>153250561
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xfAEIKxnk

Same VA
>>
>>153250561
>unironically saying this while watching a medium with people like koyasu/fukajun/wakamoto/rie who are in everything and do the same exact voice every single time
>>
>>153250188
Don't post such shit, please.
Del.
>>
>>153253805
subfag
>>
>>153250188
I don't hate it.
>>
>>153250188
No sir, I don't like it.
>>
>>153250188
Sounds like every other shitty American seiyuu that does dubbed shit.

Are there seriously only two girls that do this?
>>
>>153250561
>repeat the same performance every time
This happens constantly in Japanese dubs as well though. Most seiyuus have one voice they're good at and that's all they can give. The only difference is there is a much wider array of talent in Japanese dubs but that just makes it more unforgiveable how often it happens in their version. The English Anime VA talent pool is very small and then there's the problem of a lot of VA's being loyal to one company. That's why you see a lot of VA's in Funimation dubs exclusively but not Sentai and vice versa despite both companies being based in Texas. Someone like Luci works for both companies but the majority of the time that's just not the case.

Still that's an unfair way to classify her performance, Luci is a very good actress and she has decent range. Her performance is Hestia is completely different to like Nami for example. You'd have to be a blind mindless dub hater to not see that.

Basically the English dubbing industry is just too small and it's going to stay that way because there's just not much money in anime anymore. Why do you see the see the same VAs so much? To make a living as a VA in the states you need to do a ton of roles because they don't pay that much. Things are so low budget that dubbing companies just don't feel like seeking new talent and instead rather call up their tried and true. Sentai is much more guilty of this than Funimation, Funimation at least tries to vary it up a little but Sentai has like the same 6 actresses in every show.
>>
>>153255239
agreed also
I love Monica Rial she's one of the greats
>>
>>153250188
This is actually trash. It's terribly stilted and poorly paced. Blame the animation or the VAs or the TL or whatever you want, but it's just not good.
>>
>>153255343
>>153255239
pick an anime and you're pretty much guaranteed to find brittney karbowski and monica rial, likely chris sabat and austin tindle and some others too, as far as i've watched dubs for the most part they bring something different to each role so have to give them credit, then again could be due to being more familiar with the nuances of your own language than a foreign one but on the whole i honestly think many VAs do a great job, and that 'most' of the hate for them is from sub4life weebs
>>
File: 1484703995708.jpg (109KB, 599x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484703995708.jpg
109KB, 599x720px
>>153250806
Hanakana is finally using her 3rd voice this season! I can stop hating her terrible self for one show this season!
>>
>>153250188
>Dub
9/10 before I even clicked the link
>>
>>153250188
Danmachi is so bad to begin with that you can't really make me hate it more.
>>
>>153250561
So you say, but I'll bet you know a few VAs when you hear them in Japanese.
Same thing goes in English, but they're a lot easier to recognize in your own language.
>>
>>153256104
People like to whine about HanaKana but she has a nice range. The problem is with directors that ask her to do the same voice, but you can see from some characters how different she can do them.
>>
>>153255239
Yeah Sentai loves Monica Rial, Luci Christian, and Hillary Haag. Those are like their main trio of girls and you'll find at least one of them in every Sentai show, it's pretty silly.
>>
>>153250188
>Hello? Are you still here go-
I threw up in my mouth already.
>>
It's actually not bad.
But they should have maybe changed the script to use Hestia's name more. Hearing Bell say "goddess" over and over in English sounds like they're in some BDSM relationship and that's one of their kinks.
>>
Posting dubs from Sentai Filmworks is cheating.
>>
>>153256362
Your brain problems aside, I agree that the translation is 4/10.
>>
File: mahoukaHanaKana.jpg (178KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mahoukaHanaKana.jpg
178KB, 1280x720px
>>153256259
her role in Secret Agent Magic Onii-sama was very under-appreciated
>>
>>153256259
>>153256538
>>153256104
You know 2 VAs that /a/ love and have the same fucking voice every time but /a/ never says shit?

Kobayashi Yuu
and Daisuke Ono.

Literally no range.
>>
>>153256581
I give male characters a little slack because men in anime have stagnated a lot so the need for wildly huge range just isn't there.

I have to disagree with Kobayashi Yuu though, she's voiced both men and women to varying degrees. How does she not have range?
>>
>>153256362
That only means the anime has improved.
>>
>>153256581
>Kobayashi Yuu not having range
Nigga you high. I can't even recognize her voice half the time her range is so good.
>>
>year of 2017
>dubs still exist
And this is why anime will never fully take off outside Japan.
>>
>>153256581
Tell me you did not just list Kobayashi Yuu. And Daisuke Ono has a decent variety of voices.
>>
Hestia is annoying but Bell is fine.

>>153256362
That's fucking dumb. It's relevant to Bell's characterization and the Bell-Hestia relation that he refers to Hestia formally instead of on a first-name basis.
>>
>>153256993
Dubs are the reason a lot Westerners are even into anime to begin with. Anime won't take off again because it's too niche and perverse now with the actual good shit being washed away among all the ecchi shit.
>>
>>153256756
>I give male characters a little slack because men in anime have stagnated a lot so the need for wildly huge range just isn't there.
This. Plus when there's a wimpyish main character, they just make a woman voice it anyway. There's not much room for males to show off their range in anime.
>>
>>153257056

>Dubs are the reason a lot Westerners are even into anime to begin with.
But most of those people quit watching anime because they just kept seeing the same 10 shows repeated over two decades. In other words, Toonami idiots. They didn't go out and look for anime outside of what they saw on TV. So they wouldn't have helped the anime industry anyway.

Its the people who got into subs that kept anime going. And they did it online, because the official market was gimping itself focusing on dubs.

>Anime won't take off again because it's too niche and perverse now with the actual good shit being washed away among all the ecchi shit.
That's like saying western TV is going to die because 90% of everything is a shitty procedural or reality TV. People still look for the few good shows in a sea of bad. But the general market isn't looking at anime because the western distributors fucked it over. Leaving a huge demand that is being fulfilled online by free fansubs.

Anime isn't the problem. The way it was handled by western companies, focusing on dubs and ignorance as a means of control, was the problem.
>>
Having no range isn't really a bad thing though if they're well casted.

Tomokazu Sugita uses the same voice in pretty much every role he's ever had but everything he touches is gold so it doesn't really matter. The Gintama anime is carried almost entirely my Sugita, he's just that good.
>>
>>153250188
FUCKING PIG DISGUSTING
dub-faggots should be fucking gassed
>>
>>153257278
>Focusing on dubs
I'm not sure what you mean by this because ever since the advent of DVD's, every single anime that has ever come out in the US has both subbed and dubbed on the disc with little exceptions. Do you mean what's shown on TV? If it was up to the companies, they would just show subbed anime on TV all day. Why wouldn't they? It saves them tons of money in dubbing costs but the fact of the matter is, that's not what cable networks want and that's not what the TV watchers wants. That's just a fact plus Cartoon Network and Adult Swim aren't just going to show any anime the distributors want. You will never see anything other than SAO or Attack on Titan or Dragon Ball because they want ratings. Blaming the anime companies for "focusing on dubs" when that's not even true is ignorance.

Anime is in a different situation than other mediums because it hasn't overcome the hurdle of being a cartoon to the average person. Not only that, it has a bad reputation of being weird amongst the average person. That's why it will never take off. It has nothing to do with the companies because they're been putting out tons of varied anime every year with both subs and dub and that's what they have been doing for years.

The only mistake anime companies made was not getting on the streaming bandwagon faster and not letting Crunchyroll dominate the market.
>>
>>153257643
>The only mistake anime companies made was not getting on the streaming bandwagon faster and not letting Crunchyroll dominate the market.
I agree and disagree with this.
I agree that CR shouldn't have the monopoly that they have on streaming subbed anime. But at the same time, I feel like anime studios if left to their own devices would have made streaming very expensive and out of the price range for your average consumer who might subscribe to an anime streaming service. CR has set the standard that people expect to pay for anime streaming (for those who pay). If they hadn't come first, it's likely that whatever streaming platforms did develop would be much more expensive. We just need some start-ups willing to accept a short-term loss in profits and charge cheap streaming fees so that they can grow in the long run and compete with CR.

Unfortunately that's gonna be hard with CR's parent company starting a new streaming service that bundles CR and Funi streaming with a few other networks. Makes it that much harder for another company to even get started in the industry.
>>
>>153250561

Listen I love VA's in both languages but even in Japanese their is a lot of repeating.

How many times has Daisuke Ono used the Jotaro/Shizuo voice? I mean he has more range but I hear that a lot and it's fine as long as it works.
>>
>>153250188
Why does this exist? Why does anyone care enough to dub it? Why is anyone wasting their time?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.